Green Lantern: The Animated Series

Cartoon Network (ended 2013)

Gislef

Green Lantern: The Animated Series Fan Reviews (13)

• A DC Animated classic

This show is superb in nearly every way. The characters feel like real people, the romance is not only heartwarming, but at times it can be tragic. The stories this series is able to tell in only 22 minutes are marvelously written; each delivering the right amount of action and emotional weight, though some more than others. The voice acting assembly is grandiose, each characters puts in just the right amount! And don't even get me started on the soundtrack. It literally boggles my mind how fans cream over "Young Justice" and shun this show without a second thought. Not only does 'Green Lantern' topple that show in nearly everything, IT HAS HEART, something 'Young Justice' lacks, majorly. The CG might be off-putting at first glance, and I am convinced that may very well be the reason for the fan's lack of bolster for this series as oppose to it's DC Nation brethren.
  • It was pretty good

Too bad the show only lasted one season. I still felt it could have gone for one or two more, which proves CN does`nt know the right and wrong shows to cut early.
  • Just saw the stills for the new Teen Titans Go

So I just saw the stills for the new Teen Titans go looks like they made it using microsoft paint. In any case with Clone Wars ending, Why not make DC nation a 2 time block and keep Young Justice and GL, while also adding Batman and Teen Titans. Young Justice and GL are good shows. i like how GL is introducing characters that are currently in the comics.
  • Why so popular?

This show just doesn't deserve the appraise its getting.
  • Really Amazing Story

Not just a cute cartoon "for kids". The fans of this show are generally a bit older, mostly teenagers and adults. I still watch this show with my 7-year-old brother and he loves the show as wel. The writing is superb. It's a shame this show, along with Young Justice, don't get any advertisement from Cartoon Network besides a brief mentioning on their Facebook from time to time. It's a great show, with loveable relatable characters and you should watch it.
  • Why Must the Good Die Young?

Just when I was really getting into this series, is when I find out that it's being canceled. Sigh, I wish Cartoon Network would learn; didn't we go through something similar with the Teen Titans? Anyway, since it premiered I had actually been tuning in on most Saturdays to see each new episode - even though my understanding was a little confusing from missing several episodes, my interest grew and I just had to watch more, from the beginning (thank you internet): and then I was hooked.

Personally, it seems like they are also trying to market this show not only to older audiences but also to females - as shown by all of the blossoming romance. It certainly helped me get into it. That's quite smart of them, there is much power in the fangirl population. ;)

I also liked the plot design - it was simple, and yet kept you yearning for more and somehow always found a continuation. (Reminds me of Death Note in a way - the plot design that is - but less complicated) The problem with constantly twisting plots and stories is that (I have a short attention span, and a tendency to miss showings) it confuses me (unless I'm Very into it) and I lose interest; that's actually what happened to me with Young Justice. So I was actually grateful for this simple, yet exciting plot.

It's such a shame to see this show go. The only hope I have is that Cartoon Network somehow sees that This is what the fans want and will bring it back. (I Hope You're Reading This Cartoon Network Fan-Information Gatherers!)

But at the very least, I hope the show goes out with a Bang, a spectacular ending to a spectacular series (can't wait to get the dvd).
  • Do not stop great art

The show is great. It goes beyond a simple cartoon. It has characters that take time to change, they don't have epiphanies that change their personality. Also, the show left little cookie crumbles that all glued together with the Red Lantern story arc. It was a nice touch and a sign that the show is for adults.

I really believe that poor scheduling, putting them on Saturday mornings, is what led to this situation.

People should save this show, because poor timing should not stand in the way of art.
  • Best Green Lantern and Best Television Show

Quite frankly, this is the best TV show out there. Tightly-knit plots, superb writing, awesome characters, beautiful soundtrack, excellent cinematography, and unique CGI style. If you are like me and are both saddened and enraged by this wonderful show's recent cancellation, please go to and sign the "Cartoon Network; Warner Bros: Bring back Young Justice and Green Lantern: The Animated Series" petition.
  • Really Fun!

This is much better than the actual 'Green Lantern' movie. If anything, it makes me wish that many of the mainstream DC comics were simply published as TV shows such as this. It saddens me to know that this show has been cancelled.
  • Best Green Lantern Out There!!

Josh Keaton is my hero!! That's all I have to say. I loved him in the Spectacular Spider-man, and he IS Hal Jordan. I am so excited I get to share this show with my son every Saturday morning. Well designed and expertly written, with depth, charm, wit and fun.
  • First Season: So far, it's Superb

As with most people, I was skeptical of the CGI but I'm glad I decided to give the show a chance. In my opinion, it's one of the best cartoons currently on TV.

_____________________

People may remember Bruce Timm from the Superman, Batman, Justice League animated series. One of the producers in this new series, he and the rest of the creators do not disappoint. Unlike the bulk of its "predecessors" listed above, GL: TAS is comprised of an ongoing plot instead of individual/ two-part episodes. Despite this, each episode always feels "complete" in its own way, wrapping up quite nicely (unless ending with a cliffhanger, of course). A big plus in my opinion.

_____________________

Going along with the above paragraph, the plot-lines and dialogue in each episode are well thought-out and well-executed. There are only two events that I found forced:

1.) A certain romance that started at the end of "Fear Itself"

2.) What happened to Hal Jordan early on in the last episode (although "explained," the only purpose it seemed to serve was to give another character a more important role in the series finale)

_____________________

One of the series' greatest standouts is its characters. The Main Cast is great and even the supporting cast has many quirks, thus keeping the story fresh with each new episode. Two of the main characters in this series are completely new, similar to the well-loved Harley Quinn of Batman: TAS. In my opinion, as well as what seems to be the bulk of the fandom's, these characters are a GREAT addition to the series. Some even say they "make the show worth watching." In a way, I agree.

And for any music-lovers out there, the soundtrack for the series is one of the best I've ever heard. Very epic.

_________________________

Since people ALWAYS compare this show to Young Justice, I suppose I'll give my own opinion. Ready for blasphemy?: I like this show better than Young Justice. *Gasp! Instant Thumbs Down!* Don't get me wrong, I like both, but to me GL comes out on top.

I agree with everyone that the graphics aren't as good as Young Justice, and perhaps the plot is more simplistic (then again, we're a mere 13 episodes in as opposed to YJ's 31 and counting), but I can honestly say, I looked forward to Green Lantern each week MUCH more (especially after what, in my opinion, was a poorly handled time skip).

I won't go into detail (that would take paragraphs), but I'll just state that I find the pacing (ESPECIALLY pacing), episode endings, character development and relationships better in GL.

__________________________

Good graphics are great, but good characters and story are, in my opinion, much more important. Since watching the series for myself, I don't see why people are so worked up about the animation-style; it's actually quite smooth-looking and fits the series itself well.

If you can get past the CGI, this show is really quite a gem. It's not for everyone, but come on, at least give it a chance!
  • Scientific ignorance being taught to youth via cartoon.

I watched all thirteen episodes of Green Lantern: The Animated Series and I was astonished and dumbfounded by the lack of 'intelligence' on such a programme.

The use of the terms: GALAXY and UNIVERSE, were swapped, interchanged and used in entirely the wrong context. Especially episode 13, Hal must save the Galaxy? when Oa protects the Universe they can travel to/from. Once, a mistake, Twice, a gross oversight, but dozens of times - total ignorace of difference between Universe and Galaxy to the writers and voice actors! One or other should have picked up on the error?? We live in the Milky Way GALAXY of over 600bn solar systems and there are over 1 trillion (that can be measured Galaxies in the visible Universe). BIG difference!
  • With an expanded role in the DC comic book universe and a big budget movie under his belt, Green Lantern is getting his own animated series headlined by DC animated mainstay Bruce Timm.

While the show doesn't debut until 2012, the special "movie event"is essentially the series' pilot, similar to how Timm premiered Justice League ten years ago. Miles above Green Lantern's abysmal summer blockbuster, "Beware My Power" is a stronger pilot than Justice League's "Secret Origins" and the best DC animated debut since Batman Beyond.

Tapping into the qualities that make Hal Jordan a hero while building an expansive world for him to play in, Timm and his team create a captivating story that lays a strong groundwork for an ongoing series. Assuming that most of the audience is familiar with the characters from either the comics, film, or previous TV appearances, writers Jim Krieg and Ernie Altbacker immediately jump into the action. There's no origin story here, just high-octane space action with a nice balance of humor and emotional depth.

The first completely computer-generated DC animated series, Green Lantern has a sleek "Pixar lite" look. Over the past decade, animators have figured out how to make Timm's estyle work in three dimensionsand there are some stunning visuals this episode, especially when it comes to the high-flying action sequences. With extensive experience on Avatar: The Last Airbender and Star Wars: The Clone Wars, producer Giancarlo Volpe deserves much of the credit for the crisp action and expansive landscapes, and directors Sam Liu and Rick Morales choreograph intense fights that move at a snappy pace. The environments could use some more variation, but hopefully future episodes will have more diverse alien settings.

The episode begins with the introduction of the series' villains, the Red Lanterns, a group of vengeful killers with a grudge against the Guardians of Oa, creators of the Green Lantern Corps.On the outskirts of the universe, Red Lanterns Razer and Zilius Zox murder a Green Lantern and take pleasure in the fact that his ring will find a new bearer, giving them a new target to kill. It's a chilling opening scene, establishing the Red Lanterns' threat level and how high the stakes are for the Green Lanterns. Flashing to 18 months later, Hal Jordan is on Earth testing a new billion-dollar airplane for Ferris Aircraft, schmoozing with his boss Carol and being his usual cocky self.

The qualities that made John Stewart stand out as a Green Lantern: his sense of honor, duty, and obedience that comes from his military background. "Beware My Power" shows just how different Hal Jordan is from his Lantern comrade, breaking rules and disobeying orders in the name of his own moral code. Hal has no fear, but he also has little understanding of consequences, always thinking that his plan of action is the best. He ends up saving the day, but there tends to be personal fallout. When he ejects from the Ferris plane to keep a train from crashing, he sacrifices the aircraft to save lives, but has to deal with an enraged Carol when he returns.

Hal is reminiscent of Peter Parker in many ways; he understands that he has incredible power that must be used for good, but he doesn't really know how to negotiate his human life with his superpowered one. He has to lie to Carol to keep his superhero identity secret, and when he goes off-planet to deal with the Red Lanterns, he ends up missing his dinner date. The writers make a smart decision keeping Carol out of the loop rather than following movie continuity, and Carol's presence keeps Hal connected to Earth while offering a romantic subplot to counter the action. It's fitting that Josh Keaton was also the voice of Peter Parker in The Spectacular Spider-Man animated series, and he brings Peter's sense of humor to Hal while throwing on a thick layer of charm, making him a lot more likable than recent interpretations of the character.

When Hal is called to Oa for his misconduct against an alien viceroy, the deceased Green Lantern's ring from the opening scene completes the 18-month journey from the frontier and lands on Oa. Despite protests from the other Guardians on sending a party to investigate the death, Ganthet shows Hal and Kilowog an experimental spacecraft that runs on the green energy from its own power battery, capable of making the trip to the frontier in a fraction of the time. Ganthet has always been the heart of the Guardians, and I'm happy to see him as an ally to Hal, because the rest of the Guardians are total jerks.

When Hal and Kilowog travel to the frontier, they find Green Lantern Shyir Rev on the run from Zox and Razer. They battle it out and save Rev, but the Guardians demand that the group return to Oa before taking further action. The devious Guardians pretend to not know about the Red Lanterns, although they're responsible for their creation. The writers may make some changes to the story, but in the comics, the Red Lanterns were created when the Guardians' robotic Manhunters malfunctioned and destroyed Sector 666, claiming all but five lives. One of those that survived was Atrocitus, the leader of the Red Lanterns, who believes himself a crusader firmly in the right. When Atrocitus attacks, he tells the Green Lanterns, "I am wrath. I am hate. I am righteous vengeance." The best villains are ones that think themselves heroes, and as evil as Atrocitus is, it's difficult to blame him for wanting revenge after his entire world was destroyed.

When Hal and Kilowog take Rev to his home planet for medical assistance after he is seriously injured, the Red Lanterns appear on their massive floating fortress and issue an ultimatum: turn over the Green Lanterns or be destroyed. As Hal fights Atrocitus, Kilowog tries to appeal to Razer's conscience and convince him to give up the fight while Rev holds back the energy beam aimed at his home. Kilowog knows Rev isn't strong enough to stop the blast and survive, but Rev refuses to give up, asking Kilowog what he would do if he had the chance to stop his own planet's destruction. Kilowog saves the colonists as the beam breaks through Rev's green barrier and destroys the planet, taking Rev's life in the process. It's a moving moment, given extra weight by the brief glimpse of Rev's family earlier, and when the Green Lanterns try to comfort Rev's daughter, she responds with a heartbreaking question: "Is it OK if I still miss him?"

The most surprising aspect of "Beware My Power" is the emotional depth of the story. After Rev's sacrifice, Razer attacks Hal in hopes that the Green Lantern will kill him and wipe out his guilt, but Hal refuses, stripping Razer of his ring and taking his as a captive. Hopefully future episodes will continue to delve into the moral dilemma faced by the Red Lanterns as they essentially repeat the atrocities committed against them in the name of vengeance. Between the Guardians' deception, Hal's relationship with Carol, and Razer's crisis of conscience, the writers have set up a number of plots to get fleshed out over the course of the series, and if they can maintain the quality of this first episode, they might have a new classic DC animated series on their hands.