Grey's Anatomy

Begin the Begin

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Jan 15, 2006 on ABC

• This episode was very good. I liked it very much!

Izzie started to get strong feelings for a patient, Danny Duqette. She has started to forget the relationship with Alex. Dr. Bailey and Christina traveled to find a heart to Danny, but failed. Derek and Meredit had a akward time in the elevator. Addison and Derek had a fight about Derek's trailer. The staff was shocked about a new work-rule. They could only work eighty hours a week. Christina didn't really have premission to travel with Bailey. Dr. Burke was a little bit angry at Christina because of that. George had a patient with hemafroditt. She was a fourteen year old girl. She decided to become a boy.
  • whao is denny hot or what?!not more than 80 hour a week roaster,how will christina survive? the elevator scene between mer/der is so not interesting anymore if all they're gonna do is banter back and forth with no declaration of some sort.

whao was that alex showing a self less emotion like jealousy? denny duqutte is so hot? i hope he lasts long.the bex was really cool in his/her scenes, i like the way she accepted her state atleast now she had an insight as to why her life has been so weird. i love the way george stood his ground to dr addison montgomery sheperd, he was really passinonate. it was really amazining of her parents to accept the situation. it was a weird medical case really. the mer/derek in the elevator again, they shpuld get together already! they're wearing me out.really addison's charater is really belittling herself over the der/mer issue.
  • Not the greatest episode.

7.2
    The guy who ate his novel was bizarre. They certainly know how to create off-beat characters! Although I did not think that he added anything to the episode.

I can’t believe they pulled the “Addison catching Meredith and Derek together in the elevator” thing AGAIN. It’s a crutch the writers really need to stop using. Every time they want to create an awkward moment, they just shove people into an elevator. It’s ridiculous!

The plot line with Becks was great. I was so relieved that the mother ended up accepting the news and even offered to cut the hair.
  • There is a land called Passive Agressiva, and I'm Their Queen!!!!

I really liked this episode. Things I like to remember:

1. I have always found Izzie empathy with the patients one of her best things. Even she thinks of it as a handicap.
    2. George is the most caring doctor, always trying to give his patients the best of himself.
    3. Deny (a.k.a. Papa Winchester) is a great person trying to deal with his fate with hope. And he made Izzie happy.
    4. The Dog is destroying the entire house. And Meredith is in denial.
    5. Cristina as always, competitive and scare of Burke finding the truth about her trip with Baylie. But even cold hearted Cristina showed concern about her unborn baby and Burke’s reaction to her decision of not keeping the baby.
    6. I really like Burke’s character, always supportive and honest.
    7. There is a land called Passive Agressiva and I am their queen.
  • Mandatory 80 hour week limits frustrate Christina, George, Izzie and Alex all have unique patients, Meredith and Derek again meet in the elevator.

With Seattle Grace now enforcing the 80 hour week for Doctors, Christina finds herself lost, after being told to leave the hospital, she ends up on plane to Iowa to pick up a heart for a transplant patient. Christina running not only from the 80 hour limits but also from Burke, until Bailey gives her the confirmation she needs, that she did the right thing for herself at the time regarding her terminated pregnancy.

During this time Izzie tends to the transplant patient Denny at Seattle Grace, some harmless flirting ensues.

George treats Bex (Rebecca) and young patient in for the removal of a tumour pressing on what they thought was an ovary, but turns out to be a testes. George shines in this episode, making Bex feel a little more at ease, when she feels like an outsider, by telling her that he was a mathlete and the secretary and president of the Dungeons and Dragons club during highschool and that you just have to ride it out. Slowly, George is showing his strength and depth of charactor.

Meredith and Derek again meet in the elevator, and despite Derek reconciling with Addison, we see a Mer/Der moment, the flirtacious banter that I'm sure we've all missed. However, this doesn't last, when Meredith finds Derek at the nursing home visiting Ellis, Meredith is hurt and shocked, but after hearing some sage advice from Richard Webber she learns that sometimes a favour is just a favour.

Derek and Addison are having they're own problems, with not much said initially about Derek's confession about falling in love with Meredith, Addison is clearly not happy, and with the trout and the trailer things dont seem to be looking up. Ultimately things seem to resolve themselves with Addison resiging herself to waiting for Derek's feelings for Meredith to go away, atleast for now anyway.

Alex treats a patient who tries to put his past behind him and start a fresh, literally, by eating his own book. Alex recognises some similarities between himself and the patient, being so determined to be only one thing, not having a plan B, seems to scare Alex at first, but he soon realises that it isn't neccessarily a bad thing. After routine surgery to remove the remnants of the novel, Alex notices that the petient still seems to be a little under the weather, and quickly realises that he is suffering from mercury poisoning, displaying a thorough and less cocky Alex.

• George and Izzy rule! the episode was great too, again.

What can I say; I really like George and Izzy. Their light hearted, fun, and intelligent nature are what draw me to this show. The storylines, especially Georges I think, are why I stay. I never did like the show Friends, made me want to hurl, but this show I really enjoy watching. This episode was no exception (unlike last weeks total flashback thing) George and the hermaphrodite girl were enjoyable to watch the story arc around her. Izzy and George’s thing with the dog was a nice touch; Izzy and George are great on screen together.
  • I don't know about anybody else but for some reason, I can't stop thinking about that hemaphrodite teenage girl. I have so many questions. I wish I could see the episode again. I have been anxiously trying to see the episode again. Why am I so obsessed?

I definately think Derek and Merideth should stop playing around....They both know they should be together and they both know they want to be together. Something needs to happen. I seriously wish that man that needed the heart transplant gotten a good heart...He and Izzy would have been the perfect couple. She seemed so happy. I am so happy that George was on the case of the teenage hemaphrodite because he is the kind of person that wouldn't keep a secret from somebody...Especially when it's something that they should know. I would definately want to know if I was a hemaphrodite. For some reason, I can't stop thinking about her. Why did she seem do happy? Why does she want to be a boy? Did she like girls before she knew she was hemaphrodite? I have been trying anxiously to see that episode again. Why am I so obsessed?
  • George was well-matched with his patient, a hermaphrodite, and really seemed to grasp the magnitude of her distress. Once again, we were left to wonder if Derek and Meredith will EVER have any sort of relationship, much less action, with his new declarat

6.8
    I don\'t know about everyone else in America, but I am getting really tired of the lack of development in the Meredith/Derek storyline. In my opinion, that\'s where the heart of this show is, and where it began. To keep that part of the show stagnate is really stagnating the whole series. The chemistry betweeen these two is palpable, even in nano-second elevator scenes. I sure hope more unfolds in this relationship soon.
  • izzie new love

Izzie ne sait comment réagir face au comportement d'un patient. En attente d'une transplantation cardiaque, Denny Duquette ne cesse, en effet, de faire la cour à la blonde interne et espère bien la faire craquer. Derek, toujours perturbé par sa situation conjugale, rend visite à la mère de Meredith. Quant à George, il doit traiter le cas d'une jeune hermaphrodite, perturbée par les premiers signesHide Another Mistake par The 88s
    One of These Days par Kraak And Smaak
    Ride par Cary Brothers
    Break Your Momma's Back par Slow Runner de l'adolescence.Guest stars : Kate Burton (Ellis Grey), Shannon Cochran (Mme Singleton), Becca Gardner (Bex Singleton), Jeffrey Dean Morgan (Denny Duquette), John Prosky (M. Singleton), Stephen Spinella (Malar Pascowitz) et Lauren Tom (Audrey).
  • Greys Anatomy did it again!!

This episode was great fun! Christina entertained us again..with her "I dont do..." attitude, bailey and her were the exact ingredients needed to make this episode fun and WORTH watching!! As they also provided some serious talks and let us understand more about them and their baby decisions!!
    I was also glad that the whole Alex/Izzie fight was over...they ROCK together and so them talking again is just GREAT!!:D:D As for Denny...I really like him hes soo funny and sweet:)I can see why **SPOILER** Izzie fell for him!!
    Moreover I loved the fact that Addison and Derek get along nicely, tis nice to see them talk and be funny
  • January gives as a possibility of fresh start !

Izzie meets Denny for the first time in this episode. He needs a heart transplantation and Cristina goes with Bailey to retrieve it but something goes wrong and heart can't be transplanted. Denny says goodbye but he will be back too soon.
    Rebecca a girl with a tumor on her ovary...testicle acctually is brought into the hospital and parents want to hide the truth from her but George tells her.
    Mauer a writer comes with abdominal pain and he tells Alex that he ate his novel...every last piece of that trash.
    80 hour weekly limit is set to the hospital and interns have more free time but they want to work :D
    Amazing episode...loved it.
  • There is a land called Passive Aggressiva...

I thought this was a great episode. It showed the full range that this show can have - from drama to humor to even bittersweet moments. The writing was excellent and there were plenty of memorable lines ("There is a land called Passive Aggressiva and you are their queen.")

Some of the situations might have seemed a little absurd at first glance, such as the writer who ate his entire novel in a foiled - and ironic - attempt to cleanse himself of his past. However, I think that they were great moments of levity. After all, between Burke confronting Christina about the baby, to Denny losing a chance at a heart transplant, to the young hermaphroditic patient, this episode had a lot of drama.

I think that this episode showed how important hope is.
  • There is a land called Passive Aggressiva...

I think that this episode showed how important hope is.
  • In Passive Agressiva...

I think that this episode showed how important hope is.
  • This episode was the beginning of the new year and involved each one of the characters finding their own way to start fresh. It demonstrated that some things never change and some things can.

I absolutely loved this episode of Grey's. My roommates and I are glued to Grey's every week, but I especially liked this episode because of its relatability right now during this time of the year. A lot of people take the opportunity with the end of the year to start fresh, kick bad habits, start good habits and routines, and after reevaluating their life deciding to make changes to make their lives better. THis is hard to do as demonstrated by our own life experience and the experiences of the characters on this show. Honestly I found this episode inspirational and motivating in letting a person know it does not take a new year, or a special day on the calendar. We can make changes in our life at any time.
  • It may be a new year, but Meredith and Derek still have elevator scenes. Classic. The love triangle continues. The medical cases are getting more complicated and the interns have a hard time not getting too personally involved.

This show just keeps getting better.
    Even though the Meredith/Derek/Addison love triangle is interesting to follow, I really wonder how long I can take anymore of the uncertainty. I think Meredith really should move on, as Derek is clearly still confused. Derek and Addison could actually still work out. We'll see I guess.
    We're getting to see more of Addison now in the medical field.
    Izzie has a romantic encounter that leads to heartbreak (literally for the patient). It's still better than Alex. Speaking of Alex, he should really just focus on his bedside manner. It's improving which is why I'll still think it'll suck if he doesn't pass his exams.
    The Burke/Christina thing is still confusing me. I don't get their relationship at all. I do like how we're getting to see more of Christina's soft emotional side. (WOW she actually has one!)
    George remains my favorite character right now. I really hope he's not the one to fail of all the interns (if any of them do).
  • Eh

7.1
    While this show is contingent upon the character development I felt that there really was not too much tonight. It was a decent, average episode but not much got furthered. Nothing new was really learned. No new questions or tensions were added or answered. They had a controversial topic and did very little to discuss it, it felt like it was a non-issue.

2.5/5
  • I missed a few minutes at the end. Just wanted to know how they ended the storyline with the hermaphrodite teen. The last part I saw with her was when she was told, and I could have sworn she almost seemed happy about it. Was there another scene about thi

I missed a few minutes at the end. Just wanted to know how they ended the storyline with the hermaphrodite teen. The last part I saw with her was when she was told, and I could have sworn she almost seemed happy about it. Was there another scene about this?
  • I agree with the previous review. A filler, returning from the holiday hiatus but not with a strong storyline.

I did like the episode, don't get me wrong but I can't say it was one of their better ones. It seemed a bit weak, almost as if the writers weren't really sure where to take the characters this week. On top of that, did anyone else find the backgroup music a little loud this week? My husband and I both couldn't hear half of the conversations because of the underlying (or should I say "OVER" lying) music...Especially near the end when Meredith does her little "closing thought", we had to strain to hear what the actors were saying.
    Definitely not up to the usual Grey's standards, I'm quite surprised at how weak it actually was compared to the masterpieces they usually seem to give us!
  • Surely not the best...

This wasn't one of the better episodes. It still had the GA-feeling around it, but it didn't touch me like many of the other episodes. The angle with that Girl, who was also a boy was well done, but the rest of this episode did not match that standard.
    Still an ok ep, but the writing staff can do better, as they've already proven.
LIFE