A Grey's Anatomy Community
Thursday 8:00 PM on ABC (Returning September 22, 2016)

Grey's Anatomy S10E22: "Fear (of the Unknown)"

The Fab Five has become the Tenacious Two.

Grey's Anatomy bid a fond and emotional farewell to Sandra Oh during Thursday's season finale, as Cristina Yang set off for Zurich to become the hotshot cardiothoracic surgeon she was always meant to be. But it wouldn't've been a true Grey's finale without at least one twist before the end. In this case, it initially seemed like Cristina might've been inside the local mall hit by an explosion, which was first deemed a possible terrorist attack but ultimately turned out to be a gas main that blew up.  

And so, Cristina thankfully survived her tenure at Grey Sloan Memorial—an impressive feat for a doctor who suffered through an ectopic pregnancy, a hospital shooter, floods, and more. But it was a good thing she didn't go to the mall after all, because that meant she could lend a hand to the overwhelmed doctors of GSM who were dealing with the victims of the explosion. Her final day served as a walk down memory lane as she attempted to get some closure from the hospital.

But Cristina wasn't alone when she left. When Shane realized his teacher was exiting, he begged to come along. She agreed, and then quit. Unfortunately, there was one goodbye she didn't get, as Owen was stuck in the middle of a surgery when she had to catch her cab. So their silent—albeit highly emotional—goodbye was exchanged through the gallery glass of the OR. Meredith practically shoved Cristina into the cab, knowing her person wouldn't leave of her own volition because Cristina felt like she wasn't finished. And as Meredith said, she isn't finished; she's only just begun. Of course, Cristina returned about five minutes later to dance it out with Meredith one last time.

Among the other developments at the hospital, Bailey was poised to take Cristina's spot on the hospital board, but Cristina left her shares and her spot to Alex. Leah got closure after helping out during the chaos. Callie and Arizona seemingly decided to find a surrogate to carry their child. Meredith and Derek almost moved to Washington, D.C., but after Cristina delivered one last parting piece of advice to not let Derek eclipse her brilliance, Meredith realized she had to stay in Seattle, causing a huge MerDer blowup.

But the big surprise came in the final moments of the episode, when we learned that the new head of cardio Margaret Pierce (played by Kelly McCreary) is the daughter of Ellis Grey. This mystery woman was secretly put up for adoption, making her Meredith's half-sister (yes, another one!). Who's her daddy? Webber, of course. Twist!

What did you think of the Grey's Anatomy finale? Were you satisfied with how the show said goodbye to Cristina?   

63 Comments
Comments (63)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I'm just glad that she took Shane with her. I just hate that character, good riddence!!
Flag
I think Sandra will back.
Flag
i just hope shondaland will still get cristina as guest for one or 2 episodes or whatever
Flag
is there wll be another season becaues im confused ?
Flag
R.I.P Christin.... Wait she didn't die? Thank God! First time I'm happy a character only went away. Gonna miss Yang, though.....
Flag
I remember a memory that Meredith had of riding on a carousel and Ellis was arguing with Richard. He was telling her that he would not divorce Adele. I think that, after that, Ellis left Thatcher and moved away. She was probably pregnant at that time but didn't want to use it to make Richard feel obligated. She was probably also too proud to even tell him that she was pregnant. So, she moved away, had the baby and gave it away without telling Richard about it.
Flag
I really loved her exit. Of all the main characters' exit, this, imo, was the best one.
Also, all the new drama coming up is making me incredibly excited for season 11, which wasn't always the case of previous seasons' finales.
The Alex vs Bailey situation is already making me laugh just thinking about it, and I did NOT see the Margaret Pierce thing coming. It really is "Grey's Anatomy" but maybe not the Grey we thought :p
Flag
another grey girl? NO!

i really liked the soundtrack this season. good job.
thank god they didn`t kill off christina and shane going with her was a great idea. i`ll miss both of them.
Flag
i was sooooo happy with her exit after 10 seasons of nothing good happening to her career and with her not winning the avery the finale was perfect it was really good to see her on top she deserves it !!
am really sad though that she left the show it wont be the same without her .
Flag
I liked the send off for Christina but I didn't like the twist in the end the whole promise of that story is useless now and when did Ellis Grey carry a child to term without anybody knowing?That's stupid plus I don't like the actress (ever since Emily Owens ) I hope she goes away very quickly ( or better off kill her like they killed Lexie )
Flag
Maybe most the older ones will all go to work with Christina and send money back to fund that hospital. You never know how these things turn out. lol Then they can have another hospital show.
Flag
I am glad they didn't kill christina, that was a nice send off.
I was shocked with the last twist but i m willing to see how they going to play it.
So next season bailey & alex are going to fight for the board seat
Flag
Really sorry the gas explosion was not at whatever name they call this hospital now I think it has had at least three sic! and killed off the entire cast this is like watching a loved one die slowly .....time to pull the plug.
Flag
(Fir/1)st half was good and intense, but things got slow after that mall accident. Bye bye Cristina! She should have her own spinoff like uhh forgot her name and show. Haha. Grey will never leave/retire for her series/show to end? :P
Flag
I was just relieved they did not kill her off. It was a good send off. Im just not sure how long the show will go on. I am hoping they end it soon. Christina was a huge part of why I still watch it.
Flag
I lost " my person" on the show, but it was a beautiful way to lose her. I'm glad there was no drama, just a beautiful goodbye among friends, lovers...
Flag
Although there are many shows that have outlived their appeal, this one isn't one of them, at least to me and my wife. They are pretty much like old friends to us now. We were actually there that day, when Mark Sloan burst upon the scene. I don't know if they still do this, but when he first came they were filming the show at the Sepulveda VA clinic in the city of Sepulveda. We sat and watched as Sloan came in and Sheppard punched him out that day, then saw the episode a few weeks later. After that, The Fabulous Five assembled for lunch outside, and we watched that a while too. My wife couldn't get into the show back then, but sort of listened sometimes while I watched--she really hated Izzy, though. Then, two years ago she started watching regularly with me, and finally came on board as a fan. I suggested we watch it over from the beginning, and she agreed, so we have been, and we are on season 4 now, and watch the old ones at least twice a week. Cristina is both of our favorite character, and we were glad to see that she got to live her dream in the end...
More+
Flag
You don't get out much do you?
Flag
What kind of idiotic remark is that?
Flag
"I suggested we watch it over from the beginning, and she agreed, so we have been, and we are on season 4 now, and watch the old ones at least twice a week. Cristina is both of our favorite character, and we were glad to see that she got to live her dream in the end..."

Did you not write that comment?
Flag
Safibwana:

If I like it--then it doesn't matter to me others enjoy it loved or not. You know I just cannot carry that much if others don't understand how great the Criterion Collection is.
Flag
The Adult Industry is a filcke mistress!
Flag
@TatraFan The only question I have for you is why do you even care? You obviously don't get out much either because this shouldn't even be a conversation.

Flag
Another question is this why do you want your wife to enjoy the same shows you do? It seems to me to be a bit unnecessary actually. But whatever ...
Flag
Well, perhaps I didn't word that quite right. We only watch TWO old episodes each week and that leaves us plenty of time for other things.
Flag
Have you never watched a series with a loved one? Have you never wanted to share a show you liked with someone else? Have you never been in a long term relationship? Maybe you need to get out more and meet someone.
Flag
It will be interesting to see how the show adapts without Cristina. Her relationship with Meredith was a fundamental part of Grey's Anatomy. I look forward to the next season.
Flag
I never really liked Meredith much less the Meredith Derek thing but I find it hard to believe that Meredith couldn't see what Derek was doing until Cristina mentioned it. I just don't buy that. Unless she's really stupid. I never understood the appeal of her character in the first place.

I'm also tired of the obligatory lesbian/gay couple that must exist on television on each show to appease a targeted demographic. I never liked Callie and Arizona...thought Callie was way more interesting with Mark. Arizona just whines all.the.time. Don't like her they could have and should have split up. If Callie has to be with a woman, they certainly could have picked a better character than Dr. Whiny.

I'm with the posters down below who want to know when the hell Ellis got pregnant and carried another child? Almost seems impossible.

Cristina was the one character I enjoyed the most so with her leaving, I'm probably not gonna keep up on the show. I did just start to warm up to the new residents but meh.
Flag
Well, I feel sad that Cristina left but this was Sandra Oh's decision.Yesterday I saw that she got a role in a movie playind one half of a lesbian couple.As far as I am concerned Meredith Grey is the foundation of the show and as long as she is here I will never quit the show.After all this is GREY'S Anatomy not Yang's.Really liked the twist in the end with Webber's daughter and Meredith's new half sister.Looking forward to Meredith bonding with Amelia.
Flag
Well done, Grey's Anatomy!

That was the best character (and actor) exit to date on this show, and that was very well deserved.
Flag
Well done? After 4 weeks of hyping it up... She just gets in a cab and dances like she is thirteen at a slumber party... After 4 weeks of hear how unexpected her exit was going to be heart felt... I was bored. Hell my trusty rabid pet squirrel with a taste for testicles was so bored he entered a catatonic state (I'm still a little afraid for his life) without even a nibble on testicles... so you know let me tell you what I think this show did-- BAIT AND SWITCH!

This episode was like the old Captain Crunch submarines they used to put in the cereal boxes. You know the little submarine you put baking soda in it was supposed to surface. Well in the commercials it acted like it was a real submarine-- you get it out of the box and you would be lucky if the damn thing would make a few weak bubbles with the damn baking soda. That was this episode you expected some epic send off and it turns out to be nothing more than a few weak bubbles in your kitchen sink with the stupid toy still stuck at the bottom of the sink.

I've never been a fan of Shonda Rhimes' work... But I was unfortunately curious as to how she would get rid of one of her foundational characters in the series. Frankly, she should have killed off the lot of them in the plane crash. She really is a no talent hack. These characters are so boring and childish I wonder how the actors don't want to eat bullet after day of filming.

Even her big twist is oh... I know let's give Grey a bi-racial super doctor sister! Yeah, didn't they do that one already? With Lexi Grey the human encyclopedia and perfect doctor? I want to know this doesn't anyone find it a bit racist that the white doctor gives away her mixed race baby because it proves she had an affair with some black doctor? I mean really couldn't just get a divorce from her husband and never give up the identity of her love child's father? Sure keep the white girl because that doesn't bring up issues! Send the mixed race kid to the adoption mill! Not like people probably wouldn't noticed that Dr. Ellis Grey put on a few pounds over 9months and then lost a lot of it one day-- This DAYS OF OUR LIVES SORT OF CRAP!

More +
Flag
there should be a poll for voting based on the subject.
Flag
its just stupid that there is a new sister.. she must know that mer is her sister shes the head of cardio shes not stupid and its impossible for elise to be pregnant without anyone knowing. alex becoming part of the board is great, i think hes the best surgeon, Christina always got so much credit she was amazing but still.
Flag
yea the introduction of the new sister annoyed me. before they even reveal that information - she was having this major attitude about Christina - 'is she gone yet'. (1) you only JUST got hired here. calm down. (2) don't forget that Christina is part owner of this hospital - might be smart to show a little more respect. (3) Christina has worked here for years - odds are, you will probably not endear yourself to your new coworkers whining about how you just want their friend gone, so you can take over already. --this is a supposedly brilliant young doctor already poised to head a dept? and then at the end; 'her name was elise grey - did you know her?" - yeah right, she really had no clue that there were people at this hospital that have been and still are strongly connected to elise grey.
Flag
I was cool up until the sister twist. Not cool guys.
Flag
i laughed my head off at that
Flag
my favorite character on the show bc she was brutally honest. but the only way to truly leave grey's is in a grave. lol.
which means maybe she'll pull a jorja fox...
Flag
so much for Ellis & Webbe not sharing a baby, according to the latter's reaction, it came out as a shocker!
Flag
Yang was just an statement of old feminism... She never add charm neither humanity to the show... and maybe that is why Sandra leave... her character was just.. a fembot.. predictable and flat... plus doing the same all this years didn't help her carrer at all... she's still just a 1 show/character TV actress.
Flag
downvote
Flag
I haven't watched the finale yet, but I just have to ask: Ellis and Richard had a love child? Seriously? How the f did that happen? Ellis was already married when she met Richard...Meredith was a child when they broke up. When exactly was Ellis pregnant and no one noticed?
Flag
Well, the new sister is head of a department, so she must be farther along in her career and therefore older than Meredith.
Flag
No way. I know they try to pass Pompeo off as younger than she is, but this girl is like a dozen years younger. Maybe Ellis was pregnant when she stopped being able to work.
Flag
But if she was already married when she met Richard (she was, wasn't she?) when on earth did she have this baby? I know Thatcher could be a bit clueless, but that's overkill :P
Flag
I wonder the same thing. I guess aliens abducted her?
Flag
I stopped watching Greys Anatomy after season 10's premiere cause I was very angry about Arizona and Callie break up (IMO they're the best lesbian couple in the current tv) and the general plot of the show. I heard that Sandra Oh is leaving the series so I decided to see the finale... and I don't regret it. I actually enjoyed it for a change.

1. Arizona and Callie are back together - which for me is Huge YAY - I really hope they will both be back in season 11.

2. It looks like Meredith and Derek might split up which would be awesome development. I always liked Mer, but hated Derek. He's a jerk.

3. So Mer has yet another half-sister? That's weird cause Margaret doesn't look older then Mer. How many more half-sisters does Mer have?

4. Alex and Jo are still together which is good cause I like them.

5. April and Jackson are going to have a kid - Yay I guess? Took them long enough to reach this point.

6. I liked Mers and Cristina finale dance. I guess it was short cause they're old now and they get tired quickly.

7. It was great to see Amelia again. I hope she'll be regular now and that she left James - cause that guy was TERRIBLE.

8. No more Cristina and Owen - YAY!!!!

I think I'm ready to give Greys Anatomy a second chance. I'm planning to see the fall's premiere. It's possible I'll start to watch the show regulary again.
More+
Flag
Sorry but the Arizona and Callie relationship is soooo sweet it is sickening :P
Flag
The scene when Meredith pushed Cristina to take the cab was deeply moving for me!
Flag
So Shonda has killed off most of the good characters yet let's the worst one live. Yeah that makes sense. So glad I gave up on this show a few seasons ago.
Flag
Who are the worst characters? I've always found the show to be boring.
Flag

I think Dr. House needs to show up. Why not right? I mean at this point it is no less absurd than Mer having two half-sisters who are both brilliant surgeons. Why is it everyone is in the family business- Shepard has a sister who is a doctor, Meredith has two sisters both doctors, and everybody body else is just floating down the life fantastic? I have a question why couldn't Meredith's half-Sister be an engineer or something.
Flag
Why in the world all Mer's sisters all surgeons? This is just so lame!
Flag
Possibly because the skills that make a good surgeon are largely based on inheritable traits. Such a cluster in inheritance is outside the center of the bell curve, but not implausible. The Mannings anyone?
Flag
Don't try arguing logic when it comes to Grey's. They just need more drama and for that to happen they need Mer's siblings in the same spot. Apparently there is also just 1 hospital in the US. I was merely pointing out my frustration at the lameness of the plot.
Flag
First off, the Mannings are only 2 out of 3. Meredith and her sisters are 3 of 3.
Secondly, one of the reasons Peyton and Eli are successful in football is because they were around football all their lives, because of their father. In other words, they had both nature and nurture, not just inherited traits.
Flag
Meredith has more half-siblings who aren't surgeons. I think one of them was a patient in the hospital, there was all that awkwardness with her dad.
Flag
I'm going to miss Cristina, her relationship with Meredith was the best part of the show.
Flag
cristina and alex relationship was way funnier though
Flag
Follow this Show
Members