A Grey's Anatomy Community
Thursday 8:00 PM on ABC (Returning September 22, 2016)

Look, your dog is probably more up-to-date on ABC's long-running medical soap Grey's Anatomy than I am, but even *I* know this is huge news. Sandra Oh, one of the original cast members to don scrubs in Seattle Grace, is leaving the show after its upcoming tenth season, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Oh is leaving to pursue other opportunities.

During her tenure as the driven and opinionated Dr. Cristina Yang, Oh has received five Emmy nominations and won a Golden Globe award; her character has been stood up at the altar by Preston Burke, survived a plane crash, lived through a failed pregnancy, ducked a shooting, married Owen, and gotten maybe-divorced from Owen. But Oh has lasted through so much drama behind the scenes of the series that the on-camera stuff looks like nuthin'. 

ABC president Paul Lee had said that some cast departures could happen, but also expects Grey's Anatomy to be on the air for many years to come. With the advanced notice, the Grey's Anatomy writing team can concoct a proper departure for Yang. 

Which brings us to the big question: How should Dr. Cristina Yang check out of Grey's Anatomy

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/19/2016

Season 12 : Episode 24

208 Comments
Comments (208)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
ive been with this show since season one its my fav show because of christina i know she has to leave but i DONT WANT HER TO !
i was so pissed when she didnt get the award she deserves something good to happen to her in these 10 seasons !!!!!!!!!! cmon writers give her a break !!
so even if i dont want her to leave i hope her exit is something amazing to happen to her and maybe she can make guest appearances after that .
i cant imagine this show without her if they want to kill someone PLEASE kill april shes the worst thing in this show !!

Flag
The harper avery award should be given to christina after an investigation for vote tampering by catherine. Christina will leave Seattle with Burke and shove the award at Owen so he can raise it like the kid he wanted and she aborted.
Flag
After watching the last episode... I think she will take a job at some other hospital. Harper Avery award nomination is a big honor and her work will make other hospitals extremely interested in her even if she didn't win the award and frankly I don't think Christina can reach higher than she is now at Grace sorry the Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital...
Flag
I hope that they do not have Christina leaving with Burke. If they have Christina leave I hope Owen goes with her because they are each other's soul mates. Down deep they cannot live without each other. There is so much to consider, but I think that Christina and Owen need to work something out.
Flag

I think she will probably leave for a better job opportunity leaving Owen with the doctor he is dating now.
Christina is my favorite character so I will be sad, but we all know that that romance with Owen isn't going anywhere (although it is/was my favourite couple). Is she all of a sudden stop aborting his babys? They would have to transform her ideals too suddenly!
Knowing the writers love for killing every character I love, maybe she will be killed off... *sigh* (enough already).
Flag
I think Yang should pass away and out of the blue George shows up and we find out it wasn't him that got hit by that bus and died years ago, that he really has been off in the military but he somehow got the news of Yangs passing and just had to come to the funeral. lol Now THAT is a twist I could go for.
Flag
I am only watching this show because of Christina and Owen. Once she is gone, I can finally wipe my hands of this melodrama crap.
Flag
Hmm also, I wonder if Oh would consider moving to Scandal and doing more grown up roles.
Flag
Haha, you're funny. Grown-up roles in Scandal.... lol ;)
Flag
Yeah...I realised. That show is getting awful crazy
Flag
Hope they don't kill her off. This trope is just ridiculously overused in Grey's Anatomy.
Flag
Not the biggest fan of the show, but Yang is obviously one of the central characters. But it's been 10 (I think) seasons, people, and she's probably had her troubles and is a little tired (Oh, I mean, not her character). I think she'll make some mistake and end up in a lawsuit and/or just decide enough is enough, and leave, making peace to an extent with Grey before she does.

Killing her off would be simple, but while I haven't thrown my TV out the window yet, or something at the TV, for some of the ridiculous story-lines and all the disasters each season needs, for her to die after living through the unbelievable (and I mean that... I didn't believe them for a minute) disasters just to be killed would really put the show to a new low. You don't need a disaster every time to explain why some characters didn't re-contract.
Flag
I think I good way for Cristina to part with the hospital is by dying. It sounds cruel but if you think about we never dream of George coming back but we always think Addison or Izzie might re-appear so by Cristina dying we are put straight and won't hope for something that won't happen.

I think that Cristina will leave by somehow being critically injured and then on a life support machine and because Meredith is her emergency 'person' she will have to decide when to turn the machine off.

I also thought it would be good if the characters that had left all come back to Seattle for a proper Meredith and Derek wedding - Shonda said it would probably happen towards the end of a series. So Addison, Finn, Izzie, Rose (all the significant leavers) would all come on the same train somehow and the train would crash or explode or something so they would all be taken to the Grey-Sloan Memorial hospital and two live and two die and then there is the wedding afterwards which makes everyone a little happier and less morbid - Mer would have people dancing on tables afterwards and stuff :)

Then in the next episode Cristina would die.
More+
Flag
Her leaving really doesn't sit right with me. Yes there has been 10 seasons but I feel like once you audition for a show and you get the role you have to play that role out for as long as the show goes on. They only have Meredith, Alex, Derek, Miranda (Bailey), and Richard (Webber) left. I was mad when Izzie left. I was sad when they killed George. Like that was the my favorite 5 interns. Now Sandra is leaving!? Like I don't think I can take this anymore.
Flag
But for actors it's a job, portraying a character. I can totally understand why one would want to leave a show after 10 years. They don't want to be stuck playing the same person forever. I am actually surprised the other actors are still in the show, but that's probably because they get paid really well. So what I'm saying is: good for her!
Flag
I hate the fact that we know she will leave - why is she telling us that???? Stupid Spoilers... god how is it possible that I never heard a word about who gets killed or leaves on Breaking Bad?? Why do I know everything that will happen on GA 1 year before?
Flag
I think Shane goes crazy, tries to shoot Meredith but Christina stands in the way and takes the bullet... She diesin Merediths arm.
Flag
Christina should go with everyone's blessing..onwards and upwards.
this would be a fitting tribute to the great character Oh and the writer created
Flag
watching grey's anatomy this season is much like a routine rather than for actually enjoying it :/

it seems they are having hard time making new storylines its very obvious with bailey's new found OCD and alex's father return

the one that keeps me on my toes is april's wedding and that intense electricity she and JACKSON have whenever they are around each other <3

dont get me wrong i dont want it to be canceled or stop but unfortunately thats where its heading now specially with cristina's leaving.... its inevitable
Flag
oh no... I didnt watch for the last 6 weeks - and I thought that this April / Jackson thing is over... its not?? oh come on so lame
Flag
I love Christina and I sooo sad that she is leaving, but if she is leaving I hope that she leaves because she has found a great job opportunity, something exiting and challenging for her.
Flag
With Grey´s super mom year we allready see how Cristina is allready pushed aside so her character disappearance will be the climax of this season and as usual it will be a death so I will stock up on napkins cuz I allways cry my eyes out. Since Mere will be left without her "person" whoever will fill that gap has big scrubs to fill. I love Cristina ... it´s a very polished character with spark and the very best comeback lines. I will miss her
Flag
Seriously, doctors working in this hospital has the highest death rate. Run Christina Yang, and don't look back...before they kill you off...
Flag
I have watched every single episode of Grey's Anatomy and have been a loyal fan. I have watch you kill Dr. George O' Malley who was sweet and talented. I have Watched Mark Sloan finally grow up only for you to kill him off in the plane crash. Lexie Grey who we hated at first because we loved Meredith so much, died after it took us so long to actually like her. But letting go of Dr.Yang is the last straw, if it was up to me I would keep her on until the end. But if you have to let her go Please, Please, Please, do it in a dignified manner and not some over dramatic death, malpractice, or her randomly leaving like Dr, Burke. Some people don't like her and in the beginning her snake like, over ambitious, and heartless attitude turned us off but we have learned to love her. And some people still don't like her because she comes off arrogant, and because she doesn't want kids or just because. But she is still Meredith's person. She was hard working, determined, and undeniably great. She has grown from being uncaring to caring to a certain extant. The point is Dr. Yang, Dr. Grey, Dr. Bailey, and Dr. Shepherd are just a few of the original cast. They are the Heart of Grey's Anatomy they are who we wait up for at night to watch, to grow, and to see were their Journey takes them. Either keep Dr.Yang or let her leave with the respect she is deserves. Which will ease the pain only a little for her beloved fans or devoted enemies.
More+
Flag
They're not "letting her go", she's leaving. The actress doesn't want to be on the show anymore
Flag
I love Dr. yang!! She's the funniest ever... Please dont let her leave...
Flag
no!!! if you are not going to end the show soon dont take yang out of the show she is a very strong character of the show, maybe the best one! it would screw up all!
Flag
I've never, ever, liked Yang. As long as she leaves, that works for me.
Flag
I've tried to watch on and off for years. Definitely like Dr. Yang, one of the best characters she'll be missed. Just leaving room for more unidentifiable disappointing characters. I actually like the character they killed off a couple weeks ago, and I'm not fond of any of the other interns.
Hopefully Yang will leave with the option for future cameos, if this show has a future.
Flag
Let her leave alive for a job elsewhere. Greys Anatomy writers are a bit too fond of killing people off.
Flag
I love the show and if you guys notice it says she is leaving on her own they are not making her go and as for Owen I don't care for him at all Webber will always be the best chief. Maybe the end for her should be her getting another job at a different hospital.
Flag
nooooooooooo don't leave ......
Flag
I hope they don't cancel or end the series. Grey's is loosing a very strong character and actress. Oh made her character believable.
Flag
It's possible that the show will end too. I hope they don't kill her or do anything to ruin her character!
Flag
blakh! thank GOD! Shes just so annoying with no emotions whatsoever!
Flag
Ditto here, annoying person.
Flag
?? :O she is the best in tihs show
Flag
she should acts with no emotions ! that's her rule in the series, as long as you get it , that means she's a great actor ;)
Flag
Actually, I've seen her act in other movies, she's a pretty good actress, Grey's is holding her back. I don't like Yang, but to each their own.
Flag
:(
Flag
NO!!!!!!!!!! She was my favorite character!
Flag
Ten years is a long time, so I get it. Good for her, pursuing other opportunities and what not. It's not like NCIS where Ziva leaving makes it near impossible to bring in another female and it work after her being the sole female for eight years. Grey's is known for it's revolving door of characters and multiple characters with multiple story arcs, it softens the blow. I don't know how they'll get rid of her, but it better be pretty fantastic and true to characcter. No doubt about it, Christina Yang, whether you loved her or hated her, is one of the best female characters to ever grace television. Legendary.
Flag
Wait, I've figured it out. Izzie Stevens murders her to create an opening at the hospital. She then returns as a regular for a full season before it's discovered.
Flag
Grey's Anatomy is still on?
Flag
for ever and for always :D
Flag
good for her. i don't like her that much. just leave with a huge opportunity for her character
Flag
Ho leaving Grey's seriously?! what will Meredith do with out her person? Derrick will really have to step up now being a new father/husband and surgeon.Owen poor Owen he'll be full of guilt (which doesn't make for the best chief of surgery) go into a deep depression.
Flag
:O! Nooo! Yang is my fav character
Flag
Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!
Flag
I wish they would all leave and the show would get cancelled....
Flag
To be honest I stopped watching after Denny died...
Flag
I remember that Patrick Dempsey and Ellen Pompeo are leaving after season 9 and now with Oh gone after the coming season, it will leave only Alex and Bailey for the original casts.
Please, end this show, and on the way, kill everyone, explode the hospital, whatever, no one cares .... ......
Flag
just turn off the tv , close yr eyes or whatever if you don't like it or even care ... it is yr choice
Flag
not all feel as you do
Flag
This show is still on?
Flag
Well. DUH. Obviously there's a discussion about it. What? Do you have some sort of Pavlovian reaction to message boards where even when you have nothing constructive to say, you simply must respond?
Flag
No I simply didnt know this show was still on, I havent noticed a discussion about it in ages which why I thought it was finished.
Flag
These community boards are relatively new. I gather you stopped watching Grey's at some point. Some of us will watch to the bitter end of a series. We may be gluttons for punishment, who knows. But I think Shondra can pull a couple more seasons out. I know the network is surely hoping for that. It's just hard for the Grey's fans to imagine it without the core cast members.
Flag
Well I've never been a fan of Grey's but I've seen a couple couple of episodes here and there but it wasn't my cup of tea. Its good that you still support your series though, I do the same thing with CW's Supernatural and HBO's True Blood so I know how you feel.
Flag
Can we couple the finale with the premier of Sharknado 2 and she goes out that way?
Flag
She had emergency surgery when an ectopic pregnancy ruptured her ovary.
Flag
If I remember correctly, she didn't live through a failed pregnancy - she had an abortion because she didn't want a baby. This was a pretty big plot point, as Owen did want a baby and she didn't really consult him and he was sad. :P
Flag
Actually both r true.... She got pregnant by Burke in the early seasons n lost it before her abortion appointment.... Then later with Owen she did abort the baby.... Lady needs to learn how to use contraception.
Flag
Best thing for this show is to have a particularly nasty virus get loose in the hospital, killing all the staff and patients and visitors. End of show. That would be the best news.
Flag
Bloody hell, first Cote and now Sandra! All my long running shows are crumbling before my eyes :( Please don't kill her, just give her a five year surgery position in Sweden or something and then if she fails at whatever she chooses to do next she can always find a home with Greys.
Meredith and Christina forever <3
Flag
Why is this Tv Show (Soap Opera and a bad one ) still On ????
Maybe it's because is Shonda Rimes !?!?!?!?!
This Tv Show should ended a long time ago , hopefully will be it's last season ...
Flag
Preston Burke comes back for a half season stint and manages to redeem himself, eventually leading to Christina transferring to his hospital to work with him and restart their relationship.
Flag
NO! That would undermine her entire character as a self-respecting woman. Admittedly, I haven't watched this show for a long time now, but she was my favorite part of that show. Part of her personality is (was?) her independence, her respect for herself and her complete faith in her abilities. That would all disappear if she was to go work with a man who - first of all left her at the altar without a goodbye - and second of all always treated her like an 'underling'. Everything she stands for as a person would be destroyed if she did that. But then I did stop watching a while ago, so maybe she's all changed and I'm completely wrong?
Flag
She's never been independent. She's sickly obsessively dependent on whoever she sees as a mentor.
Flag
You might have a point. But I still don't think that Burke will be back in the picture. If nothing else, her vanity will keep her from going back to him. She cares deeply what other people think, she borderline pathologically craves and needs the respect of her friends, peers and superiors. She would lose it, if she was to go back to Burke.
Flag
The only way he'd be back in the picture is if they made him an even bigger surgical badass with new things she wanted to learn.
Flag
The show just needs to end. I mean, I love me some Grey's, but the show has just got back on its feet again and it would be a smart time to end it before it goes off the rails again. I mean Loosing CHRISTINA YANG is a very big game changer.

also, is there anymore left to tell? We've done the cancer story, we've healed a deer, we've done the John Doe story, and the Jane doe story. They've had bombs, shootings, blackouts, babies, marriage, plane crash, lost a leg, and even a damn musical episode! They went all Glee on us! Lol

But in the end, even if SHONDA decided to write another 10 seasons, I'd still watch because I'm a sucker. Like I've said many times before, the woman is a genius. I love everything she writes. :)
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members