Grey's Anatomy

Deterioration of the Fight or Flight Response

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM May 15, 2006 on ABC

• "Grey's" continues it's tailspin, out of control and headed straight for a mountain... no, a volcano... an ERUPTING VOLCANO of tastless cheese... please put your tray tables in their upright and locked position and keep your barf bag close by!

4.9
    I have seen every episode of “Grey’s Anatomy” since it premiered, but I will never watch it again. It’s never been my ‘typical’ kind of show. I don’t generally like soap operas, but I do like hospital dramas, so it drew me in at first. The soap aspect was there from the beginning, but I liked most of the characters and there was enough legitimate drama and medical jargon to keep me interested. In the last few episodes of the season, however, the writers seem to have lost their way, or perhaps found a way that is a complete turn-off to me. A few months ago, I read in a TV.com contributor’s review, that the superior quality of “Grey’s Anatomy” has made the very existence of “ER” unnecessary. At this comment, I not only scoffed, but took offense, as “ER” is a totally different type of drama, who’s weakest shows are still infinitely better than the best of “Grey’s Anatomy”. That’s not to say that “Grey’s” hasn’t had some spectacular moments, it has. The episodes ‘Into You Like a Train’ and the two-part ‘It’s the End of the World’ & ‘(As We Know It)’ were tremendous examples of a well written and acted TV drama, and to think some reviewers actually think the three-part season finale was as good as those is quite disturbing. All in all, I feel as though I have been let down by a show that started off with enormous potential, but has basically become a prime-time soap. In the last three episodes of the season, most of the main characters seem to have become moronic caricatures of themselves, exhibiting nothing but their worst traits. It was one thing for Izzie to fall in love a patient, but to risk his life for her own selfish reasons? And Meredith and Derek just pissed me off with their final decisions. It’s not that I’m projecting my displeasure of these three episodes onto the whole season or entire show for that matter, but when almost ALL of the principle characters have pissed you off inside of three hours, why should I care what happens to them next season?! (p.s. – I still like George, someone let me know if he gets his own show…)
ABC