Bad Taste

jonnyfan

[1]Sep 25, 2009
    • level: 7

Does anyone else think that it was bad taste that all of George's friends were laughing at his funeral?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

metro2

[2]Sep 25, 2009
    • level: 3
    Was not at at all bad taste they were remembering times in past and sharing them with him as laughing as he would if he were with them. A very nice way to remember friends is laughter and joy

Tweet7078

[3]Sep 26, 2009
    • level: 9
    I agree with Metro2 because they all lost a friend and they should be rembering the good times

WitasGW

[4]Sep 26, 2009
    • level: 3
    I agree with you two. They should be remembering the good times they lived, and not the bad ones. And in the end, almoust all of them cried...

angrodpallanen

[5]Sep 26, 2009
    • level: 22
    I did kinda feel like it was all in bad taste, but yeah, their friend died and one of the ways to deal with it is laughing it out, I mean, they did laugh about Izzie's cancer too, but still, it did feel like a kick towards George's character.

Mizproadd

[6]Sep 26, 2009
    • level: 6
    I also think that it was incredibly bad taste to be laughing at the funeral.

xomeg15

[7]Sep 26, 2009
    • level: 12
    I think that that moment was keeping true to the facts throughout the last 5 seasons. In the bomb episode when Izzie finds out that Meredith might die, she Alex and George are in the locker room and she can't stop laughing becasue and I quote her on this "I have really inappropriate reactions to this kind of stress. And later she says to Alex that she laughs at funerals. It's a character trait of hers. I didn't think it was a bad taste. I thought is was really funny to be honest. It's a grief reaction. They all had different ones and at the end of the episode the all dealt with in in their own way.

friendserking

[8]Sep 26, 2009
    • level: 13

It was in bad taste. At first when they started laughing it was ok, but they kept laughing making it in bad taste. They should have stopped laughing and showed everyone how remorseful they all were, but they didnt.

The writers were making fun of themselves with that little outburst of laughter the funny thing was is it was in my opinion bad writing to have them laughing at Georges funeral. They were making fun of themselves for all the drama they created last year which was actually kind of funny but they kept it going making it bad. Also it wasnt very respectful to fans who loved the character of George. Come on just give the guy a good send off and move on. The send off they gave wasnt bad but not great either kind of like the episode in general.

sushi432

[9]Oct 8, 2009
    • level: 12
    I agree with friendserking, initially the fact that Izzie was laughing was appropriate to the character. Having everyone else laughing was ridiculous. Did Alex, Meredith, and Cristina say that they laughed at funerals in season 2? No, they did not. Alex saying "O'Malley got hit by a bus" while doing a phony and forced laugh was what made that scene bad taste for me. And in many other ways that funeral was a big F*CK YOU from Shonda to the George fans. His mom barely cried. His brothers weren't even informed or present. The bus crash girl was annoying and by the end of the episode, you wished she died instead. Now, if Izzie were the only one laughing and they stopped right after she made those very valid points about how George's mom was crying less than the bus crash girl and how ridiculous that was, then yes, that scene would have been appropriate. But it was in poor taste because is was overlong and in the end, highly insensitive.

Kadodian

[10]Oct 12, 2009
    • level: 23
    Sometimes shock and pain leads to laughter.

JaiCSC

[11]Oct 12, 2009
    • level: 17

I agree. I found it really uncomfortable to watch.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't have done a scene like that cause with a world full of near seven billion people on it there are bound to be some people who suddenly laugh cause they are saying goodbye to a loved one but I would have prefered if they didn't go quite as far with it.

If they stuck with just Izzie laughing then fine. If they had to get them all laughing then do it somewhere other than the cemetary meters away service and make sure they are laughing about or at George. But they started laughing about how insane their own lives are mocked the grieving of his mother and the girl who felt as though she got him killed. That was horribly self centered and frankly it made them all look like jerks.

jazy0221

[12]Oct 15, 2009
    • level: 7
    I think they were ALL laughing because they were being there for Izzie. And hek they werent just laughing at george they were laughin at all there life circumstances which honestly have been ridiculous. laughter cures the soul. And so yes, it was def in character for Izzie to laugh but if u see everyone didnt automatically join it but it was like ha ha ha... oh wow stuff going on is really ridiculus and then they laughed. It was tasteful to me because obviously they're sad and gonna have to deal with the dead but it brought a warm sense of remembrance of him and not just sadness.
    Edited on 10/15/2009 3:42pm

steffi_totti

[13]Oct 17, 2009
    • level: 9
    I don't know how to explain this but I actually interpreted the scene where they laughed as full blown crying, and I thought it was very Grey to do that instead of having every one, Alex including, sending him off with personal eulogies. The scene worked for me.

aubreyt

[14]Dec 5, 2009
    • level: 4
    I was so insulted that I haven't watched since. If this was any other character, they wouldn't have laughed. They wanted to humiliate George to the end.