Grey's Anatomy Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on ABCBetween Seasons

"Flight"

hakone1

[1]May 18, 2012
    • level: 17

So Lexie's dead. It was totally unexpected, at least for me. I hoped that by some strange twist it would be Teddy or Owen. I guess that except for Teddy and Lexie everyone will be back next season. It was not a great but a good season finale although it didn't keep me on the edge. Maybe because there has been so many catastrophes already? What do you think? Did you like it? I have mixed feelings - mostly because I've hoped for a happy ending for Mark and Lexie for all these years.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Ofuda

[2]May 18, 2012
    • level: 9

From various articles I had gotten it down to three that might be the one to die: lexie Grey, Mark Sloan or Arizona Robbins. I figured it would toss someone into great despair for the following season. Then came news of which of the cast had renewed their contracts. That got the number of characters down as well.

Unfortunately, the episode did little else for me than to create an ok, that's that and now we wait until the autumn. It seems that someone has to die, or be close to death, on (most) season finales. I can't help but wonder if there's not another way to create a cliffhanger, if you need cliffhangers at all to keep people from coming back. Out of all the shows I follow (and that are wrapped up for the season) all have ended on a cliffhanger.

And the whole being stuck in the woods. Commentators said it resembled Lost, to me it felt more like Alive (the movie) minus the mountain.

crunchydinah

[3]May 18, 2012
    • level: 7

I didn't like the season finale at all. I mean, so many people already died on the show, so many disasters happened, I think that killing Lexie was just too much. This is probably the first time that I won't be impatiently waiting for the next season. I was hoping that for once, we would have a somehow more original cliffhanger instead of each season ending with a death or someone close to death. I thought that "Flight" was just a big disappointment.

JaiCSC

[4]May 18, 2012

I might not be able to comment too much seeing as I haven't watched all but the last 5 episodes of s8. Hated this. Hated this quite a lot. I'll admit this upfront. A lot of this has to do with Lexie dying and the manner in which she was sent out but even the rest of the episode was sinfully dull.

I didn't think they could top how much I hated last years finale but it's happened. They have managed to out stupid last years.

RacerX780

[5]May 18, 2012
    • level: 3

I thought it was so-so. Surprised it was Lexi...

Two things I thought were funny... when Yang keep talking about her shoe... I've been in a couple accidents over the years and when you're in shock you tend to focus on the most mundane things.... Then when she found it! Too funny.

Other thing was when she was saying how all those things keep happening to them and she was going to get away from SG/MDeath. Have to admit I thought the same thing. I know it's just TV - but I mean come on.... in real life stuff like that doesn't just keep happening to the same people year after year.

Oh, also nice to see George... even though it was in a flashback just for a second..

And of course the whole idea that a whole day goes by without anyone knowing a plane is missing. Transmitter or not there is no way they wouldn't know a plane went down. And one chopper wouldn't just give up if they were looking for a downed plane.

Edited on 05/18/2012 7:03am
    Edited 2 total times.

missburkle

[6]May 18, 2012
    • level: 2

It's very difficult for me to say whether I liked it or not. It was more like an ok episode rather than a season finale. Lexie's death was a just too sudden for me. I really liked it when Christina tried to talk to Mark and realized he was injured too. Yet I got dissappointed when they saved him, it would have been nice if both died.

I did enjoy Derek's part because now we don't know what will happen to his career if his hand injure gets worse. I was talking about this with my brother and he told me it was a sort of "Burke's moment" (with some exceptions, of course). Probably. Maybe not.

I really hate that GA got this predictible. Let's hope next season things change and no one get killed.

tsifafoulibaby

[7]May 18, 2012
    Sudden, sad, unexpected, uncalled for... is the only way I can describe Lexie's death.

I kept waiting for something to happen, some helicopter to come rescue a dying Little Grey, some miracle of any sort to NOT let the inevitable happen. So unexpected.

And the whole Mark dying and trying to make it look like those two will eventually end up together...in death? Really?

All in all a very dissapointing ending to a somewhat weird season.... Residency over, love and marriage over for many, life over for some... Is it really Grey's or Mercy Death's tv series?

Ingelief

[8]May 18, 2012

Im sorry guys but I HATED this episode, i scrolled through the seatle grace scenes, and why lexie?!

and is mark gonna live?

Its to much a shooting i agree with somebody above that there to many disasters, and a plane crash without being found? thats plane stupid!

And teddy fired ? why?

I was waiting for the help i wanted to see the reaction on the other left home, but it was only wood scenes... Sorry not good for me i hated this episode.

My fav is lexie and now she is gone. I was ok if teddy owen kepner or jackson would have gone but not lexie! And is mark ok? Did Eric renew his contract?

now we have to wait 4 months.. they all be death by then LOL

crunchydinah

[9]May 18, 2012

I agree with the above poster. Lexie was also my favourite character and unless we suddenly discover that she was in fact in a very deep coma and not dead, I'm not sure I'll be watching next season.

I'm not just annoyed because she died, but also by how she died. It looked like the writers had decided that someone had to die and didn't even care about the details. Lexie's death seemed completely rushed and I thought this was really disrespectful for her fans...

DanielWeclewi

[11]May 19, 2012
    • level: 4

The whole plane crash thing ruined the episode for me, it made absolutly no sense.
    I work in the aviation industry and I realise that its just a tv series, but they could at least make it a little realistic.
    I mean if you crash a business jet into the woods and crash with some freakin trees! you are not going to have people run around doing rescue missions as if nothing happend, they would probably be pulverised. If they crashed on a field then this would be more possible. And then of course if you fly in controlled airspace in the US you will have search and rescue ready and on their way as soon as you get into trouble so they could be there shortly after the crash. Even if they for some reason didnt have any way to send a distress message/signal, then a missing aircraft would be noticed very fast. an entire day with no help is just ridiculous, even those "4 hours" they talked about is way too much,

poseidondude

[12]May 19, 2012
    • level: 5

DanielWeclewi wrote:

The whole plane crash thing ruined the episode for me, it made absolutly no sense.
    I work in the aviation industry and I realise that its just a tv series, but they could at least make it a little realistic.
    I mean if you crash a business jet into the woods and crash with some freakin trees! you are not going to have people run around doing rescue missions as if nothing happend, they would probably be pulverised. If they crashed on a field then this would be more possible. And then of course if you fly in controlled airspace in the US you will have search and rescue ready and on their way as soon as you get into trouble so they could be there shortly after the crash. Even if they for some reason didnt have any way to send a distress message/signal, then a missing aircraft would be noticed very fast. an entire day with no help is just ridiculous, even those "4 hours" they talked about is way too much,

right? right? very badly written episode. and how in the hell did lexie get crushed like that? a human being is exponentially lighter than an airplane part. the plane part should have crashed way earlier than a lexie. the whole thing doesn't make any sense. lexie was my favorite character, there are other ways to send off characters, better ways even. not watching next season.

Edited on 05/19/2012 12:29pm

JaiCSC

[13]May 19, 2012

poseidondude wrote:

and how in the hell did lexie get crushed like that? a human being is exponentially lighter than an airplane part. the plane part should have crashed way earlier than a lexie.

The chunk of the aeroplane has a larger surface area. It was broken apart so it wouldn't have it's full aerodynamic property so it would tumble through the air. Regardless of mass it would land after. Lexie could land after had she assumed sky dive position and slowed her descent but given the shock of a plane crash and WHY AM I DEFENDING THIS?

Edited on 05/19/2012 2:32pm

CrazyAsian1080

[14]May 19, 2012

JaiCSC wrote:

poseidondude wrote:

and how in the hell did lexie get crushed like that? a human being is exponentially lighter than an airplane part. the plane part should have crashed way earlier than a lexie.

The chunk of the aeroplane has a larger surface area. It was broken apart so it wouldn't have it's full aerodynamic property so it would tumble through the air. Regardless of mass it would land after. Lexie could land after had she assumed sky dive position and slowed her descent but given the shock of a plane crash and WHY AM I DEFENDING THIS?

Gravity is constant. BAM answered! Of all the characters that could die Lex was the worst possible choice. They should have just killed off Pompeo and Dempsey. They wanted out anyways.

Edited on 05/19/2012 3:56pm

Yaspaa

[15]May 19, 2012
    • level: 79
    Nooo! Not sexy Lexy.

pamhalpert

[16]Jun 2, 2012
    • level: 14

I was hoping that somehow Yang, and Kepner would have been crushed under the plane at the same time.

Lunatikatt

[17]Jun 5, 2012
    • level: 8

i agree with most of you.

i did cry though. maybe im hormonal. but i just thought lexie was not the one that i thought would die...nor i wanted her to.i kinda KNEW they would kill someone but come on! writers played with my emotions all LOST like. but yeah! like so unjustified and so... dumb! as christina said "its always something tragic!" no no im angry and sad too even when i shouldnt care. It was just plain typical "recipe" ending. Why cant there be a "they are all happy" time? oh yeah, cause the show would be over...

and kepner and avery all mushy and pointless...

im really sad for meredith i mean... come on! poor girl! loosing her sister
    plus it made me very angry that owen never asked if they had gotten there safely
    and that everyone at the hospital having a good day
    and callie all happy

sucky!!!

oh well.... thats what we get for masoquists!

Lunatikatt

[18]Jun 5, 2012
    • level: 8
    Ingelief wrote:

Im sorry guys but I HATED this episode, i scrolled through the seatle grace scenes, and why lexie?!

and is mark gonna live?

Its to much a shooting i agree with somebody above that there to many disasters, and a plane crash without being found? thats plane stupid!

And teddy fired ? why?

I was waiting for the help i wanted to see the reaction on the other left home, but it was only wood scenes... Sorry not good for me i hated this episode.

My fav is lexie and now she is gone. I was ok if teddy owen kepner or jackson would have gone but not lexie! And is mark ok? Did Eric renew his contract?

now we have to wait 4 months.. they all be death by then LOL

Someone said lexie in a very deep coma but as much as i want that i dont think so... im so gutted for that...she was so cool and all "promising" intelligent and all NOT FAIR!

YES IT WAS! they are pulling our legs now! as if it was what we want as fans or something

I understood the teddy being fired as Owen actually liberating her from the bourden of living her life in the hospital where her hubby died... you know as in... i fire you you have no choice but to leave now... for your own good... thats why she hugged him at the end.

blah....

chilipalm

[19]Jun 10, 2012
    • level: 3

It's been reported that Chyler Leigh chose to leave the show months before her death scene. Apparently her and Rhimes thought this was Lexie's "appropriate closure" to her story. Stupid.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/s46/greys-anatomy/news/a385429/greys-anatomys-star-i-chose-to-leave-the-show.html

sibowittz

[20]Aug 17, 2012
    I loved the finale quite a bit. It was horribly sad, but really well done, Lexie's death was insanely morbid and sad and beautiful at the same time. Eric Dane was great this episode. I'm sorry, but Ellen Pompeo's crying makes me laugh sometimes, it just sounds like she's laughing...

I can see how some fans are uncomfortable with this episode, but I thought it was pretty well done. I love how bleak the ending was, and the minute Lexie admitted her love for Mark in episode 22, I felt like it was going to be her who was going to die, so I wasn't hugely surprised. But still, I'm gonna miss her a lot. She is a fantastic character!

The fact we're loosing Eric Dane, Chyler Leigh, and Kim Raver next season is sad, but I'm still definitely tuning in for Season 9! Any true fan would, in my opinion, but I understand some fans are so butthurt about this tense finale...