Shonda Rhimes talks about the season finale... [MAJOR SPOILER ALERT!!]

o0o-B-o0o

[41]May 18, 2012
    • level: 11
    completely agree with you, I hated this episode
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

DaniellePaque

[42]May 18, 2012
    • level: 2

I agree as well; once they killed Lexie I was just angry. She was a favorite of mine. I wanted her to get her happy ending. I know life isn't all about that, but she deserved it. I am not a huge April or Callie fan and even Owen I can do without, but Lexie? Has anyone heard if she asked to leave the show?

JaiCSC

[43]May 19, 2012
    • level: 17
    DaniellePaque wrote:

Has anyone heard if she asked to leave the show?

From what I hear that maybe the case. That's fine. I won't hold a grudge there.

Like I've stated, my problem lies in the execution and the reasoning.

chris_friends

[44]May 19, 2012
    • level: 12
    I don't know if people read Shonda Rhimes' latest interview with E!
    Anyway, here's some stuff that she said:

"They're still out there in the forest, and we don't know if they are going to be OK," she said. "We left it open for a reason because ... I hate to say this, but just because you saw people alive at the end of the finale doesn't mean they're going to be alive when the season starts up."

"We are completely jumping off into the unknown next season."

"everyone is still so immersed in 'Who died?'" that "no one is talking about the thing that I actually think is important and was the point of the [season finale]."

"I think there's something very unsatisfying about the way that it ends ... I like the ride. Doing the shooting episode was really great because while it was gut-wrenching and hard to do, I knew who was OK."
    "And in this, we don't know who's OK. We still don't totally know who's OK."
    "There's still choices to be made. It is very unsettling. The idea of my Meredith and my Cristina in the wilderness without a match, chewing half a stick of gum each, having each other, while beautiful, was really painful."
    "I feel like everyone has the right to have the reaction that they want to have. I think part of the reason why I am staying away from the reaction is I fully get that this is an unsatisfying finale."
    "I have to focus on what happens next. Paying attention to fan reaction or going online to see what everyone has to say about it is paying attention to what happened before, and that does not actually help me at this point."

chris_friends

[45]May 19, 2012
    • level: 12
    If someone else dies (and I have a sick feeling it will be Mark, because what more does he have if Lexie died?) I don't know if I can handle watching the show any longer.

IAmsterdam

[46]May 22, 2012
    • level: 7
    chris_friends wrote:
    I was disappointed that it was Lexie, just because there are so many other characters on this show that I simply do not care about (Owen or April for example) so why kill off Lexie (who, to me, is basically one of the originals considering she's been around for a really long time). I don't know what season 9 is going to be like. I'll definitely keep watching the show, but I'm still too sad about Lexie dying

Also, if this turns out to be a dream, I will DEFINITELY stop watching the show. But I doubt it's a dream. As much as I want it to be one (so that Lexie survives), it would be SO lame and stupid to just do that to the fans!

It couldn't be lamer than the Glee episode! What as load of CRAP that was!!!!!!!!

Jamus02

[47]May 22, 2012
    • level: 16

I thought the episode was a bit anticlimatic, they've definitely had better season finales. I too am pretty sad and dissapointed that Lexie was the one to die. Why not kill Teddy? Kim Raver wasn't coming back next season. I think Chyler Leigh did want to leave the show, which is fine, actors should have lives outside of their work. What is not fine is how they decided to end her story. It could have been written SO much better. Here's what I thought should have been done.

Lexie decides to move to Boston with Meredith and Derek as she realizes that Mark is better suited with Julia. Julia can give him a family andshe can't. Then next season Meredith and Derek decide to move back to Seattle for some reason, but Lexie stays in Boston as she has better job opportunities there. Later on down the road if Eric Dane decides to leave the show, or the show is ending, Mark could finally realize that there's only been one woman out there that he's ever truely been in love with. So Mark decides to leave Seattle and he runs off to the city where his true love is, but they don't tell us where. Then we see him arrive at a hospital and it is revealed to be in Boston. He asks someone to page Dr. Grey, Dr. Lexie Grey. As he is waiting we hear someone say "Mark?", and the actress could have come back for a small cameo, or they could easily just pull a clip of her saying Mark from a previous episode, they've done that before. Then Mark turns around and we either see Chyler Leigh and they kiss, or Mark turns around and has a look of joy and love on his face and boom the episode ends and that is Mark's exit. I think that would have beena better ending to their story, and I would have been COMPLETELY satisfied with that. What do you guy's think?

mrivera

[48]May 25, 2012
    • level: 9
    I think the main purpose of this episode was to warn the cast that everybody's contracts are up for grabs. Anyone who gets too demanding in negotiations can easily be written out.

Edie70

[49]Jul 6, 2012
    • level: 19
    mrivera wrote:
    I think the main purpose of this episode was to warn the cast that everybody's contracts are up for grabs. Anyone who gets too demanding in negotiations can easily be written out.
    Well they better watch out. Shonda is not afraid to ''kill'' people

sduvoisin

[50]Nov 19, 2012
    • level: 11

It was heart-wrenching. I'm still not used to it.

wildhoney66

[51]Nov 23, 2012
    • level: 13

i dunno about that cause i read somewhere that the actress who played Lexie was planning on leaving the show and her and shondra from what i read talked about how her character was to leave all season. so by the way i read it i think her and shondra came up with how to get rid of her.

i'm not saying the actress who played lexie and uh sorry i forget her name right now well i'm not saying the season finale was her idea. i have no idea if it was. but from the way i read it and the way i took it she was maybe involved in how it came to be. HOW involved i have no idea.

but if this is true, i can say that it is nice to have a cast member help with their chracters exit rather than how the rest of the cast that have left the show or at least most of them were handled. just from what i've heard that's all. but to be fair i don't have all the info on why this or that actor left the show. just what's released.

wildhoney66

[52]Nov 23, 2012
    • level: 13

to the public, sorry i forgot to add the last part

KasenStuff

[53]Jan 29, 2013
    • level: 5
    So this is the final season?

pamhalpert

[54]Feb 18, 2013
    • level: 14
    KasenStuff wrote:
    So this is the final season?
    I think there is at least 1 more season, considering that Patrick and Ellen resigned for 2 more seasons last year.

mrivera

[55]Apr 1, 2013
    • level: 9
    Has to be Hunt, Karev, or D. Shepherd. Rhimes has been whittling away at the white male cast members. Another couple of seasons and there won't be a single white male on the show. Another prediction: by the end of next season, a marriage between 2 of the male doctors.

mariela06

[56]May 12, 2013
    • level: 4

So, Arizona is going to be a widower, and she already has a substitute.