Grey's Anatomy

Going Going Gone

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Sep 27, 2012 on ABC

• im glad its back

most definitely a true grey episode. sad, unexpected but definitely classic grey. loved it but cried. as you move through years and your life shapes up with family and friends, departure of a loved one is really tough and more so when you have to watch it happen. doctor or no doctor, anything can happen to anyone at anytime....lesson learned. dying is definitely harder on the living.
  • What about Addison?!

I loved this episode but I keep asking myself where is Addison while Mark is dying?

• In its very essence, Grey's Anatomy...

While I'm very sad for not just Lexie's, but now Mark's death...

I have to admit this show knows where to aim at: our attachment to the characters

and seeing Mark getting disconnected, the videos, the happy moments,

that was the detonator to my tears... I just can't believe they took him out.

Dane, why didn't you resign for a new season? this is a show of decades, you should've stayed to the very end... Loved your character :'(

Booty Call Bailey, Karev's quickies, Meredith acting all tough... Still Grey's Anatomy, they know how to please their fans.
  • Keep Going Going

This episode gets a '9' from me, only because I caught the preview for next week. Without knowing that next week we'll get to see what transpired since the plane crash, I would have been left wanting more. Instead, I'm now excited to see next week's episode. We know what the end results will be - for Mark, for Derek and for Arizona in particular - and I'm anxious to see how it all plays out.

I can't give the episode more than a '7' on its own, but knowing it's just the first portion of the story (and not the end of it) makes it a worthwhile episode.
  • SeattleGraceMercyDeath - Through Hell and Back (Spoilers)

The episode opens a month after the crash and rescue, with Mark about to be pulled off life support. Through snippets of conversation we learn that Derek has not operated since then and will be going into his first surgery, Meredith is referred to as 'Medusa' by her interns because she has become cold, mean and hostile, Cristina is in Minnesota and hating it, Arizona is out of the picture (at this point, presumably dead), the characters were stuck in the woods for a week (wow, one can only expect the next episode to be brilliant since it will be a flashback to the woods) and Alex is getting ready to leave for John Hopkins.

As the episode moves forward, we see the characters cope with life - Derek drops a surgical instrument and walks out of the O.R, Callie spends time talking to Mark, Meredith overhears the interns refer to her as Medusa, a new attending has been hired to take Arizona's place and Owen just looks like keeping people from falling apart is enough work for the day.

The most heartbreaking parts of the episode are when a) Mark dies - the episode is also interspersed with different memories of Mark to remind the viewer of how awesome and important he was and b) when Arizona is finally revealed at the end of the episode, lying on the bed at home - Callie asks her to snap out of her depression and Arizona, disbelief written all over her face, says "Snap out of this?", pulls back the covers and continues "how am I supposed to snap out of this when you cut off my leg?" and the camera pans to show that her leg has been amputated at the thigh. Honestly, this bit was worse than Mark dying because Mark belongs with Lexie and it made sense for him to die in a weird way. Arizona's leg - that was terrible.
  • Good-bye Mark. (Spoilers)

Meredith said: "Dying changes everything". And everything is different in SGMW.

Mark is gone. Maybe that's for the best because I can't imagine him to be with anyone but Lexie. So after Lexie's death... I love those little flashbacks that reminded how funny and interesting he was. It was a bittersweet goodbye.

Meredith is mean. And I love her this way! Unfortunately, both she and Cristina still suffer from PTSD and aren't able to board a plane. Plus Cristina isn't happy at her new workplace and her boss isn't happy with her. Maybe she will be back at Seattle?

Medusa ( :) ) is scaring interns but Nazi is gone. Bailey new nickname is very... unique:)

Alex just can't leave everything he has been working on for last years. I'm glad that he is staying but I don't like that he tries to cope with "I should have been on this plane" by sleeping with every intern in sight.

Derek has problems with his hand. I can't stop comparing this to Burke's situation so I hope this will be over quickly. Callie is trying to help but she has her own problems. Big problems. Poor girl not only lost her best friend but her wife blames her for losing her leg and she has to take care of her daughter. I didn't expect Arizona to react so strongly. Where is her optimism? But I'm so relieved that she is alive - for a while I thought she's dead too.

I liked this episode but I can't wait for next week! I want to see what happened just after the crash.
  • Waiting Game

I've seen the episode and I was really bracing myself since I know that Eric Dane will not be part of the next season, so this is my take on the last episode. Story wise, no major drama and I kind of miss the old Grey's when there is a case that is worth hi-jacking and they will unfold the drama from there. It's pretty much what happened a month after the crash.

Eric Dane with those little videos and clips that shows different sides of him specially the last one where he was smiling, it made me cry the for about two hours. I wish Adison was there as well, because more that just an ex-boyfriend they are also friends. If I can have it my way he shouldn't have died because of Sophia an Callie. It also showed the dynamics of his relationship to Callie most of all not just because she is the mother of his child but because she is the girl bestfriend.

In this episode, Callie shined in those very sutle way like when he told Karev that somethings just dies, and for a second there I was hoping that Arizona's character did but alas she is still alive. The look in her face when she was telling Arizona to snap out of it and when she was made aware that there is a new peds hired. She know how to connect with her audience without saying anything or contouring her face or crying to show her frustrations. Arizona insufferable as usual.

Seems like Bailey and Meredith has switched places. Meredith, her character is abysmal. I think they should have lost Derek in the woods since he stunted the growth her character. Will they always be like that kissing in the corridors like teenagers for the last 8 seasons? Really Mer , after losing a sister? Not having Cristina around? The stony faced and Bailey attitude doesn't work for me. She needs to connect with the audience and being a lead, earn their sympathy.

And Cristina state way not in rain but in a snowy hospital. She is still emotionally unavailable but I admire the command for sincere drive to succeed and separate personal issues when she enters the operating room.

Alex is staying and Avery, not a lot to go on still. April will be back and maybe just maybe things will pick up in the next episodes or so.
  • It sucks that Mark is dead

It's psychology in motion. Classic TV technique, give you just enough to quench your curiosity but leave enough cliff hangers to make you watch the next week. i'm not pleased they killed off Mark's character but it wasn't much of a surprise to me when I found out Eric Dane was leaving the show. I liked how they gave the character a respectful sendoff though. Lexie and Mark never had a chance - i mean they loved each other but didn't profess it until it was too late -at least they had the chance though. Derek's hand injury will be a good story line for a few episodes, and we'll see how that impacts him and Meredith. Christina what can I say about her, dunno if she and Owen will make it - but we'll see. Callie and Arizona have a tough road ahead, losing Mark and Ari losing her leg. The other characters have their own issues going on that will also make the season interesting. I hate that they didn't show you the events immediately after the crash and that was the weak point of the ep yet i think they have their reasons. Thumbs up I believe Grey's will have another fab season!
  • Answering Questions Indirectly

This is a dangerous game to play. TV shows need to when they end with a cliffhanger pick up where you left off or at least answer questions. We spent the entire episode not really knowning what happened. Our questions all got answered indirectly and not through direct plot. Rumor has it the next episode will deal with the rescue.

It was great getting to see how people have changed. Meredith going all intense isn't surprising. She's in a dark place (just like her Mom was).

Bailey no longer being the Nazi made me laugh. She'll get it back. She kept people in fear of her for many seasons. She'll get her reputation back. The question is at what cost?

At the end they finally revealed that Arizona didn't die but that he leg had been cut off. I'm glad they didn't kill off another major character. It's sad enough with Mark and Lexie being gone. It makes sense. They were in this twisted love hexagon sort of thing. However Arizona has always been this peppy source of energy and renewal. They are taking her to a dark place. Will it be permanent? If not how will she recover? If she is completely better in the next two episodes that's not going to feel real.

They need to fix the story with Yang and fast. Her whole subplot is incredibly uninteresting and just isn't her. She's in a no-where hospital and she has to work with the dude who gave the Board Exam to her. Get her out of Minnesota guys. She also can't get on a plane? Yang would be the one to power through this sort of thing. Meredith freaking out makes sense. Meredith freaks out sometimes. I mean she had dreamed she was going to die one day and then ended up with her hand wrapped around a bomb.

I'm glad they are bringing April back. She's a character I've always liked. I can feel like she's a more Christian representation of Izzie (and I've missed Izzie since she's been off the show.)

I'm glad Derek isn't just bouncing back. The damage to his hand was extensive enough that him just jumping back into the OR makes it seem like maybe he wasn't on the plane and not effected by the crash. Will be interesting to see if his hand will stay numb or if he'll find a way to recover.

Overall they tried to show us some new Interns, maybe to replace the people we are losing? Either way introducing new characters in a long running show is challenging. It will be interesting to see how these newbies fit in at Seattle Grace.

It wasn't horrible but it wasn't the best. Hopefully in the next few episodes they'll get back into the swing of things.
  • Devastatingly, utterly heartbreaking

(Spoilers ahead).

I took it when George died. Watching Derek shot was hard. There were tears shed when I watched Lexie die holding Mark;s hand. But damn this episode did me in, and I can;t think of a bleaker way to begin a new season.

Not to say this episode wasn;t good, and didn;t do what it was intended to do. When the news was released that Eric Dane wasn;t coming back, Shonda said they planned to give him a "proper sendoff" and I, like many other fans, thought that there was no way to do that that didn;t involve killing him off because he would never leave Sofia. But even knowing that going in, watching him die was surprisingly hard.

Partly that was because he was still there, Mark was still there, lying in bed, just looking like he was asleep and particularly when Avery was talking to him like he was having a conversation with him I kept waiting for Mark to open his eyes and agree with him. And then he didn't.

His two main mourners are Derek and Callie, and you can tell how much he meant to both. Coming from Mark's first appearance on the show when Derek nailed him in the face to them becoming friends again and him and Callie going from hooking up to "I hate you-You love me" to having Sofia that watching the pain both were going through was truly heartbreaking.

Everything else in the episode didn't seem as big or as hard to watch or the Mark stuff, but it was important. Christina didn;t return to Seattle and is in Minnesota but doesn;t like how her new hospital runs (although her attending was none other than MR. FEENY! If you don't get that reference, my heart goes out to you and if you do, you were probably just as excited as me). While she is skyping with Mer regularly it would become apparent that she and Owen haven;t been talking as is noticed how forlorn he looks when he sees her talking to Mer. Owen meanwhile, after putting interns in their place left and right goes to Iowa where April is literally walking a pig to ask her to return. I'm glad about this because while this may be the minority opinion, I've always liked April, the show really needs a character like her and I'm glad she'll be around once again.

Alex is all set to leave for John Hopkins when he finds the new guy won't be continuing the work he and Arizona did so it looks like he's staying too. One of the only light moments in this episode came when Bailey who has been getting it on with Ben quite a lot finds she has a new nickname and Webber won;t tell her what it is "(Because I'm a gentlemen and I don't want to!") Alex tells her the interns call her Booty-Call Bailey. Those stupid, stupid interns.

Which brings me to Mer. She has also been given a nickname by the interns, Medusa, because she is cracking the whip extra hard. All the interns are terrified of her and she hears them all talking about her in the gallery and Owen yells at the one who was in an appy with her because of how tastelessly she addresses what happened to Mer and the others. The one thing I found fault with Mer was leaving when Mark was dying. Yes she was just in the hall with Webber and Bailey, but her husband was watching his best friend die and she should've been there for him! I know she just lost the only family member she had and she;s Mer and this is hard for her but at the end when Derek is at home with Zola, Mer should be there with them.

And the last big bomb to drop was Arizona lost a leg. After not seeing her for the entire episode, Callie goes home after Mark has died and tells her to snap out of it and Arizona whips off her blanket to reveal she lost a leg.

Other than that, this was an incredibly sad episode, especially with the clips of Mark sprinkled throughout, particularly Mark being happy with baby Sofia and Callie and Arizona. It also got me when Avery had finished going over surgeries "with" Mark and his voice started breaking off when he said he thought he could take it from here, because it was clear he didn;t want to. Mark was a great character and he will be dearly missed by the show, and I worry to watch next week;s when they;ll be struggling in the woods again.
  • Not the greatest season opener....

This episode was not what I was expecting. I wanted to know what happened at the crash site and what we got seemed unreal, flat and depressing....maybe that was the point. Anyway, I kept expecting the episode to turn into a dream sequence. The actors just seemed out of character....again maybe that was the point but it felt weird. Cristina's experience in the other hospital seemed liked black comedy or farce to me....would another hospital honestly be run by such buffoons. This is why I kept expecting to get a flash back to the crash site but it never happened. Also seeing April looking like Dorothy down on the farm just did not ring true......

In terms of losing characters having both Mark and Lexie bow out together makes sense and actors need to have a life an move on sometimes. Not sure the amputated leg was really necessary...but whatever.

I hope next week will be more satisfying and believable.

• disappointed

I couldn't wait the best episode ever was the plane crash I wanted closure to see what happened at the site, this episode left me wanting to know who is alive who is dead who is leaving. I kept wondering did I miss a episode in there somewhere.

Very disappointed
  • I didnt expect more cast leaving...

Ok i had not been keeping tabs on the ongoing of greys anatomy for the whole summer. Thus i was not aware of the news that more cast would be gone.

Im finding it really difficult to accept this season premier and give it a good rating.

I was really comfortable with the whole cast from season 8. be it teddy or april or owen, and was totally excited bout watching this episode. Every Grey's season premiers had been awesome so far and always reminded me why Greys is my favourite show of all time after watching it. I didnt feel this way at the end of this season premier. I think it is because of Mark Sloan's passing and Arizona's amputated leg that really affected me. Im so disappointed. I love Mark Sloan's character. How can they let him go?!!? I had thought that since this might be the last season, they would just work with the same characters as previous season. God how wrong was i.

On a side note, I didnt even notice that Teddy had left until i v isit Grey's forum. Hmmm....

Oh and i dun like Avery's hair..

Anyways im keeping my fingers crossed that Shonda would be able to turn things around and make it work... it may be too early to conclude that this season is gonna suck..
  • Why didn't they just show us what happened?

Total cop-out and an unsatisfying follow-up to the last season's cliff-hanger. Looks like next week we get the 'whole story'.
ABC