Grey's Anatomy

Migration

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM May 10, 2012 on ABC

• Aww cummon

I realise its close to the end of the season and like big wow's are supposed to be the thing, but......why not something more original. To me that was the 'lazy' way out because you (writers) couldnt come up with something more original. I knew what was coming showing them all as passengers, like what else? Give me a break, I expect better writing then that.
  • Bullocks

GA was conceived to last nine episodes. Yet it gave so much more.

I wonder though if Shonda is friend with Stephen King cause Seattle Grace is a forsaken place: bombs, shootings, ferries and car accidents, and well... It missed a plane crash. Now it's got it.

Hurray?
  • Nice cliffhanger for 8x24! This should have been the season finale...

This was a very good episode, advancing all storylines as they should. It had moments of fun and moments fully charged of emotion. My take:

I) Things I liked:

A) Nick, Arizona, Callie. That was incredibly emotional. There are not much episodes out there in which they give death sentences to very relevant patients that are very important for our favourite doctors (last one was in 8x21, but before then, only few cases had taken this direction) and makes all of us cry. It was a very strong move. Yay writers! An the effect of this was Arizona's "I don't want you to leave" scene. I enjoy in a huge way, these scenes when characters pour their hearts out, with an extreme amount of sincerity, and it's so valuable in real life. There's nothing as appealing as sincerity, directly from our hearts.

B) I'm sexy and I know it (party scene). Wow! It brought me back to season 1 (01x05, drunken party scene). I loved how everybody were enjoying themselves. I even liked drunken April, and the song was excellent for this moment of trying to move on. I was impressed when she let herself loose, and danced like there was no tomorrow.

C) Mistery case. I always like cases when doctors are aware of how their cases resemble to their lives (paralelism, basically), instead of not being aware or just greaving (03x21; fish in their woo-woo), and making fun of it. I liked Jackson's accelerated speech, and Mark's tender speech, both contradicting themselves.

D) Wedding plans. That proposal was supposed to be romantic, but Miranda had to be Miranda and she destroyed all romanticism intended (without any intention, of course!). I liked how Miranda stepped up at the end, and that twist (Ben's new plans) made a very interesting storlyine for both of them. What will they do?

E) Cafeteria fun. I always love funny brunches. Cristina impersonating April at the phone was just BRILLIANT! Incredibly funny. Also noodle jokes were simple, yet powerful to me.

F) Richard being the moral chief. All this season we've been watching this "moral/spiritual chief" role of Richard. It was funny how Alex followed all his indications, and got the result he wanted. Even when he does not seem to have more storylines, this role is perfect for him!

II) What I didn't like.

A) Lexie and Mark. Maybe this was the only episode left for Mark to tell Lexie how he felt and even kiss. Instead, we got to see awkwardness in random scenes, which I didn't enjoy. Specially when you watch 8x24 "Flight"...

B) April in that dark zone. Poor girl! She can't seem to be having it lately. It would be good to watch, only if she wasn't that annoying towards Jackson. He's so supportive! He wants nothing but the best for her, but she's not making the wisest choices. Jackson seems to be the most suitable option that would allow her to cope with this set of bad news that she's been delivered lately. He's offering some contention and understanding that she should accept soon. I hope she realizes that soon.

C) Migration storylines. Although this is how the story is supposed to go, it's making this series a bit confusing. Everyone trying to leave, or not to leave is very confusing. SGMW is the place in where all characters can develop their storylines together, and I don't seem to see how I would enjoy everyone still appearing in different locations, without much scenes among them. In the only case this would work, is if they ulteriorly decide to return for x reasons in season 9. How annoying would be watching them in different hospitals? In a way, if doctors were not to return to SGMW (mind you, if actors were not to renew their contracts), this should have been the last season, as naturally this is consistent with their choices regarding where they should continue their medical carrers. And thus, happy ending for all. At least for one episode...

D) 8x23 Should have been the season finale. With some twists and changes, if this had been the last episode, it would have left a lot of questions in the air, regarding who will survive or not (or even who took that flight); which was consistent with contractual inquieries. Read II) part, B) of my review of 8x24 "Flight" for a full take on this item.

E) Plane crash (remission). I wrote about this in two ways in another review (8x24). One of them is this story isolated of all context but the storylines (8x24 "Flight" Review, part I B), and the other one is considering all background behind it, as regards spoilers and contractual situations (8x24 "Flight" Review, part II, A) and B)). Do read it, if you want a deeper take on this storyline.

III) Overall. This was a pretty good episode, despite some flaws. But I liked all comedy and some scenes that reminded me of old Grey's Anatomy seasons. It would have been a more suitable season finale. Still, a proper cliffhanger for 8x24.
  • Ending = WHAT? (spoilers)

I was actually a little underwhelmed with this episode...it was good, fun and enjoyable but was pretty slow. Not really an episode before the finale type...Cristina slept with Owen but then decided to leave. In fact, all the residents seem to decide to leave. AND THE BOOM.

The residents board a small plane and the ending scene shows it's wreckage and an unconscious Meredith. What. The. Hell. Did Shona Rhimes just do that? Yeah, obviously most of them won't die but the promo makes it look crazily intense.

Rumours are now saying that Lexie will die - I really hope this isn't true. I'd actually rather it be Sloan. There has been no development towards her death...but it will likely happen now. Or Arizona. But I cannot wait for next week now...hell of an ending.
  • Great pt.1 for an ending.

This was great. Everything was great. The only part they destroyed was Bailey's happy ending, but I guess everyone can't be happy.

Very few anesthesiologists leave their job to be come grunt surgeons. Very implausible storyboard. They could have ended the relationship in a drawn out and more sincere way rather than throwing it out the window completely within 15 mins. Out of the blue. No person in love with chemistry throws it away to become a spatial butcher. The two fields are fundamentally different in theory and practice.
  • 8.23 'Migration'

Wow. That truly was unexpected. Although ... I expected April being fired or something like that. Too bad for her. And it's such a shame she thinks that her first sex influenced her boards and now nobody wants her to work in their hospital, not even Seattle Grace.

Lexie and Markie should just suck it up and make out. Derek and Meredith have found themselves in a strange place (once again), Arizona's childhood friend tried to sneak out without having the surgery, Alex scores Hopkins which terribly upsets Arizona and we get to see her angry side (it was very sexy) and Christina decides to go to Columbia.

The ending is very .... shivering. They're (maybe even all of them) in this plane and there's this brilliant cut on the birds and then we see just some plane wrecks in the woods and there's Meredith lying down unconscious. Next week's season finale looks shocking. 9,0/10
  • Price of Pride

And that's how it's done. Takin' on on their dreams. They've been working for all of this in years, why give it up when opportunity is served on you on a platter. This is the reason why I love this show. Shonda Rimes is not afraid of changes and moving on. The final scene kinda remind me of one tv show back in 2004 with another Dr.Sheperd lying in the middle of nothingness, scraps of devastation. (Gosh I hope we're not in for time traveling and the concept of heaven and hell. J/K) But hey, this is Grey's Anatomy, the season finale with the gunman is just impossible to top, but this is a greater leap than season 7's. This is how we do it in Seattle Grace!!! Give us more season, unlike the characters on this show, am not yet ready to move on...
  • What will happen?

This episode started off kind of slow in my opinion, yes we were all wondering who will leave who will stay? What's on the go with Bailey? What will happen to Arizona's friend? And will mark pick Lacy? bla bla bla.

None of this was overly dramatic and we all could withstand a wait on the answers for a while.

But the end of this episode with the plane; the glimpses of trees, wreckage, smoke and our beloved characters injured and struggling to grasp the reality of what happened to them; it was just too much to comprehend.

I am as some might say, an obsessive fan of greys and this accident brought back to many traumatic memories of car crashes, drowning, shootings, icicles falling, and other life or death situations that all of these characters had lived through. All I could think was who is it this time? How will it end for one of my favorite characters?

Will it be Meredith, injured left to bleed out in the forest? No more likely Derick, killed when he was sucked out of the plane, leaving Meredith to raise their daughter alone and grief stricken by her true loves death.

And then I thought, Christina? No they couldn't do that to Meredith take her husband and then her best friend, I think that it will have to be Christina that will be left to help pick up the pieces of Meredith after Derick is gone.

How about Mark and Arizona, if either of these characters die, it will leave Callie destroyed, the love of her life other mother of their child, and then her best friend father of their child gone forever, she'd be completely lost. Could the writers really do this to her after all they went through last season? But after Arizona had just made that heart felt plea to Callie saying "Promise me you won't leave" it makes me wonder, will Arizona be the one breaking this promise?

I think the best episodes of Greys are the ones that make you really think hard in the end, the ones that make you wonder what's next in the story line and this was definably one of those episodes.