Grey's Anatomy

Sweet Surrender

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Apr 23, 2009 on ABC

• Izzie's condition gets worst, Callie's father doesn't accept her lesbianism and Mark and Derek agree bros over hoes.

Grey's Anatomy divided its time between the cast well tonight with all the main players taking an integral part in one or more storylines. Unfortunately, that is not always a good thing as that meant more O'Malley who is about as entertaining as watching paint dry.

I have made it clear that Callie's lesbianism is a horrid storyline, not because I am against that type of behavior but because it just is not the best usage of her character. Some consider Sara Ramirez to be a talented actress, and while I would not go that far, she should be experimenting in surgeries, not experimenting women's bodies.

Izzie was amusing tonight, but rarely is Katherine Heigl not enjoyable. We can all just hope that she survives as this show would clearly not be the same without her.

I think the problem with Grey's Anatomy is that they try too hard to be a hybrid of drama and a little bit of comedy thrown in, when it is not always appropriate. Desperate Housewives excels at this, but frankly they have better writers and actors. We need that shocking, blowaway, serious episode of Grey's that doesn't feature a goofy Sloan or Lexie eating hamburgers. Until that happens this show will continue to slide down the totem pole of importance.