Grimm

Beeware

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Nov 11, 2011 on NBC

7.9
  • No more warning signals apparently.

Grimm held its ratings well in its second week, and as such looks to be an incredibly surprising minor hit for NBC. Considering the network has been plummeting in comparison to the other majors to start the fall, Grimm seems rather safe as it stands now. That's nice to see, since I felt that tonight was another small step up from last week, building from an episodic case of the week through to a serialized plot that gave a better glimpse at the overall story for the whole season.

The opening quote on the title card comes from the 1955 Joan Crawford film Queen Bee, a veiled reference to the more obscure Brother's Grimm tale of the same name. The very idea of bee people seemed rather ludicrous within the scope of the fairy tale setting, but "Beeware" overcome a terrible pun in its title to not only come up with the best and tightest episode of the show yet, but expand the larger mythology in such a way that set up some bigger arcs for the rest of the season.

Flash mobs were popular about a year ago, which makes Grimm's use of one on Portland's tram system to set up the first victim incredibly dated. That victim, a lawyer, gets a giant dose of bee venom, many thousand times more potent than an actual bee sting, and while Hank and Nick interview the flash mob participants, Nick spots a couple bee people. That leads them to a paper company, and to the blonde woman from the pilot, who needs protection from the attacks of the bee people. We've settled into a pretty easy rhythm for how an episode of Grimm is going to unfold. First we'll see the initial victim, then Sgt. Wu shows Nick and Hank the crime scene. After some routine police work and manifestation of Nick's observant powers, he calls in Eddie Monroe for some supernatural sleuthing, and that's the key to solving the case. That seems to be the model the show is working off of, gleaning a bit of backstory as it goes.

So the blonde demon chick gets some backstory. Her name is Adalind, and is known as a hexenbiest, which translates to "witch-beast," yet another unfortunate example of Grimm clumsily injecting some German heritage to the proceedings. I like that the show is taking a loose approach to Grimm's fairy tales, but this whole cobbled together method of making up German names gets very confusing very quickly. Nick reads them from the book in the magic trailer he got from Aunt Marie, uses them in conversation with Eddie Monroe, but they aren't intuitive and don't obey any logical use of German, so I found myself trying to catch the names with varying degrees of success throughout the episode.

There are still a number of glaring problems going on here. Most important is that Aunt Marie has disappeared without a trace. Yes, she died, so physically she can't be there, but the emotional weight of her death is completely absent from anything Nick does. Marie didn't die in a peaceful manner. As a former "librarian," she only succumbed after three failed assassination attempts – two of them while she's in a hospital bed clinging to life. Nick isn't affected in any way by those events until the final moments of tonight's episode, with one measly flashback to Marie's directive to "hunt down the bad ones like your ancestors." Ignoring the death of the woman who raised Nick entirely is the biggest drawback to a nicely plotted episode, but it isn't the only one. The issue of Aunt Marie's trailer is also pretty ridiculous. It's full of every bit of knowledge Nick needs, but still there's no explanation as to why anything other than the book is necessary to a cop. The very basic questions of "Why here? Why now?" have always been brushed under a rug in favor of the crime plots that wrap up easily within the episode. I hate to keep making the Buffy comparison, but without the same type of Hellmouth underlying reason for this action to take place at this time in Portland, a lack of explanation will continue to hold Grimm back.

Tonight, the mythology tied in very nicely with the case of the week. Adalind's lawyer co-workers at the law firm, the ones killed by massively venomous bee stings, are both Hexenbiests as well, as Nick finds out via a mark on the underside of their tongues, conveniently cut out by the coroner during the autopsy process. A lot of the details get uncovered too easily, such as Nick and Eddie's nighttime investigation that has the Blutbad following the scent of the owner of the abandoned paper factory, but there was some actual suspense to the way the two of them crept through that mansion, eventually discovering some giant beehive in an upstairs room. There was a deft build from the initial homicide to Nick and Hank's involvement, the manifestation of his abilities in an interrogation with the bee people, Eddie's weekly scene, then the revelation that the bee people were some kind of supernatural communicators between everyone in the fairy tale creature world that's hiding behind all the normal goings-on in Portland and elsewhere.

In the end, the Queen Bee person ends up fighting Adalind, with Nick left holding his gun, wondering whether to protect his job as a cop by protecting blond demon girl, or listening to the bee communication that the Hexenbiests are part of a larger conspiracy aimed at finding him. The preview for next week gives an idea that the stakes are actually starting to raise my expectations that Grimm could work its way into being a worthwhile show. Even with all of the larger faults I still have with Grimm, I was still very entertained by this episode. It seemed to exist outside of those problems, as though it was supposed to come after a lot of other clunky hours that provided the connecting information to make this one run so smoothly. Eventually it's going to need to provide some key answers as to how this is all going on, but if it's able to do that in a convincing way while tying in the cases-of-the-week into Nick's development as a Grimm and the overall connections between all the fairy tale creatures, then the show can continue to get significantly better than the scattershot qualities it showed in the pilot.

• Awww! I was watching without blinking! Especially because I absolutely HATE bees! And for some reason i really have a liking for a certain blond hexenbeist.

Great episode. very compelling fight from both sides of the bees and the hexenbeist. the hexenbeists are basically like elite, lethal, beautiful soldiers, who serve royalty, so they do their jobs. And the bees are collonizing enemies of the hexenbeists. They are naturally at each others throats. i am sooo glad Nick protected Adelind, despite what she did. I want to see a whole lot more of her. And of corse EDDIE!!! What a cutie. All I could want from the episode is more Eddie. I am loving this show. its not too dark, but its not saccarine like Once Upon a time. And the writing is excellent. Everything always makes sense

• Sweet! Beeware!

Finally!! I am thrilled that exactly what I thought would happen is indeed, happening. Grimm (right now) does feature a creature of the week, but each has had a small trail of information to lead viewers to ask more questions, and to see that there is an underlying story that we will watch unfold. The first season of many of this type of show has to combine these two, to draw in viewers, but not alienate new ones who may tune in later.

This episode tipped its hand that there is someone coming for the Grimm... and that he was relentless. It was so disappointing that he had to protect the monster that tried to kill his Aunt. There was a lot that seemed different, and some questions that I don't entirely understand yet... like is it only when the monsters lose a LITTLE control that he can see them? Or is he still learning to hone his gift, and if he doesn't have suspicious behavior, he doesn't use it? I can't wait to see more.

These Bee monsters, killing the Haxanbeasts (orhowever it was spelled)was actually very interesting, showing that some monsters don't like the others, and are on "his" side.

I admit, if it were me, I would have spent at least a few days reading all of my aunts books to try to beef up on what the heck I might be encountering... but that is also kind of cool, that we are learning along with him.

What a great episode, to learn a little about all of the monsters, and to gain some insight into the future episodes.

• Quite an improvement.

This third episode was far better than the pilot or the second one. I found myself actually interested in the storyline and what was happening with the characters. The plot made more sense and the action had a faster pace. I'm still unimpressed with the acting of 'Nick'. He doesn't convince me that he is all that skilled at all, and he certainly isn't grieving for his deceased aunt. Thankfully, Griffin and Monroe CAN act, and that makes it so much better. Enjoyed the bee storyline, it was interesting. I hope things continue to improve.
  • Beeware

Beware was another perfect episode of Grimm and I really enjoyed watching this episode because there were many revelations about the bigger picture, as well as more questions. The story was pretty interesting and intriguing as Nick figures out what is going on though he finds out every thing is now what it seems. This episode was double edged sword and Nick was forced to make a quick decision minutes after learning the other true side of what is going on. The Queen Bee was very old school and fun, as was the Hexing Beast. It was great to see her pretending to cry in Hanks arms after almost dying and smirking at Nick knowing what he lost. This episode really maintained the pace of the series so far, and there was some comic relief by Eddie. The last scene with the bee and Nick was awesome and appropriate. I certainly look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!

• The most interesting case yet, and best story so far.

I was disappointed with Grimm's first two episodes. They were okay but I wasn't very interested and the writing was weak. I think this episode was much better. I was intrigued by the case right away. I'm not familiar with any fairytales that center around bees and this made me want to look them up (I might do that right after I write this). Still, a murder being committed within a flashmob is something unique and interesting, and immediately had my attention.

I loved the conflict that Nick faced. Protect thehexenbiest or let her die. This is only the third episode and we don't know him very well so it was actually suspenseful to watch him hold the gun on the hexenbiest and the queen bee as they fought. I could care less for either of the women, but I knew Nick would have to face consequences if he killed the hexenbiest, especially since his boss is an ally of hers. I know Nick feels really bothered because he had to save the person who attempted to kill his aunt. But is Nick really grieving? That's something that I haven't felt from him yet.

I'd actually like to know more about Nick's fiance. So far, it's hard to see any real chemistry between them, maybe because there's so little screen time devoted to them and their relationship so far. She can end up having a great back story. Perhaps that will come later.

I liked seeing Eddie help Nick again, but it's going to get boring fast, if Nick has to go running to Eddie for help in every episode. I know Grimm is a procedural but they need to change it up once in awhile.

I'm curious about Nick's police skills and his ability to do his job without his "Grimm power". Before he realized he was a Grimm, was he a good cop who could follow leads without supernatural help? And did he follow normal police protocol? It didn't seem like he had a right to enter that house but he went in anyway. I don't think the show will be able to get away with these shortcuts for too long. Even a suspect who is not human will have the rights of a human because they APPEAR to be human. (He got stuck protecting the hexenbiest girl). They have to have logical reasons for what they have Nick doing, and be able to back his actions up with legitimate excuses.

This episode was much better than the first two episodes in my opinion. I actually enjoyed this episode from beginning to end. I didn't question various plot holes as much as I did with the first two episodes and I didn't get bored while I was watching. I hope that Grimm continues to get better. With this episode, they've taken a step in the right direction.