A Grimm Community
NBC (ended 2017)
Oh, look, world building!

Or to put it another way, "Blood Magic" is another of those Grimm episodes where the creative team remembers that they're supposed to occasionally build a well-developed multi-facet community of Wesen and a world that they exist in.

The basic plot involves two seemingly unrelated murder sets. In set one, two people have been gutted apart by an unidentified assailant. In the second, an orderly Marcus at a nursing home is attacked by an elderly female dementia patient who woges briefly. When the woman turns up dead the next day of seemingly natural causes, the nurse believe that Marcus scared the patient to death and he's in trouble. However, ME Binard discovers that the patient's body is filled with the enzyme of an assassin bug that may or may not have caused her death.

Whatever happened to the old ME, Harper, anyway?

Anyhoo, we the audience realize that these are connected because… well, you know, we're the viewers and we know that four episodes from the season finale, they wouldn't bother trying to do a two-separate-murder episode. That, and we know the creative team doesn't like doing that kind of thing.

It turns out that the doctor at the nursing home is a Gevatter Tod, a Dr. Kevorkian-style Wesen that kills other Wesen with dementia before they can blow the cover on the hidden Wesen community. He brings sweet sweet death to dementia victims and quietly puts them out of their misery by sticking his tendrils up their noses. Nummy. This all touches home because Monroe and Rosalee are considering their lives together, including growing old.

When Nick comes to them looking for answers because he thinks the two sets of murders are connected, they reluctantly tell him about the Gevatter Tod and warn that it's a Wesen matter that the police have nothing to do with. They call the Gevatter Tod and there's a brief worry that he thinks Monroe is the dementia sufferer. But they convince him otherwise, and Nick and Hank arrive. After the usual "I'm a Grimm"--woge and snarl--"But he's really a friendly Grimm"--"Oh, all righty then" exchange, Nick and the Gevatter Tod (Dr. Landeaux) chat. Since we've seen six years of Grimm, we know that Nick isn't going to go medieval on Landeaux's scaly green butt.

It turns out that a spice shop customer that we saw earlier, Elizabeth Stanton, has a husband Norm (Norm!) that is suffering from dementia. He's gone berserk and killed the two people in the other murder track. After they bring Norm home, Nick tells Landeaux to do what he has to because they won't interfere. Monroe and Rosalee hang out with their best bud Elizabeth, who we've never seen before, as Landeaux gently kills Norm. We don’t get to see him stick tendrils up Norm's nose, though.

I guess we're just supposed to assume that everything works out as far as Landeaux clearing Marcus' name.

Oh, and... umm, there's something to do with the main storyline. Two things, really. Renard sits in his office and first calls Adalind to demand to know about the tunnels. She refers him to Nick, and Renard calls Nick in: is his butt glued to that captain's chair? Nick refuses to tell him anything unless Renard gives him the name of his mysterious and ultimately unimportant Russian contact, and Nick walks out. so much for Renard.

And Eve is trying to find out more about the mirror realm. She borrows some books from Adalind that belonged to Adalind's mother, reads up on blood magic (which would make a catchy episode title), and paints Monroe and Rosalee's mirror with a little bit of her blood. This creates a portal to the skull creature's realm, and end episode.

"Blood Magic" is a perfectly good Grimm episode… from 2-3 seasons ago. We get a look into an important but previously unmentioned part of the Wesen community. It's very very gut-wrenching, because it's pretty hard to do an episode about senile dementia without it being gut-wrenching. It's nice to be reminded that Nick isn't the say-all and be-all of the Wesen community in Portland. Well, it would have been nice to be reminded of that 2-3 seasons ago.

But like the last few episodes, "Blood Magic" seems oddly misplaced. Just because… well, it's the "Final Chapter." Which seems to be more "Let's clear out the backlog of old scripts" and less giving us a conclusive series finale. I'll keep saying it as long as it's applicable, because the creative team keeps reminding it of us. It's like they have a Script-o-Matic set on Season 3, and it generates a 30 minute plot with 11 minutes of empty spots to plug in whatever the main storyline of the season is. And they make a few minor tweaks for the few changes.

Wu is clued in to what's going on and woges once in a blue moon? Check.

Rosalee is a main star now? Check? There's someone named Trubel who shows up at the beginning and end of sweeps periods? Check.

If Grimm had a less likeable cast and a somewhat less intriguing concept, one wonders if it would have lasted six seasons?

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. What do you think?
6 Comments
Comments (6)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Mar 13, 2017
Thanks for fitting in this review.

I thought the opening scene with Rosalee making a right meal of covering the mirror was quite amusing. Putting aside that I don't think I've ever seen a self-standing mirror in the middle of a living room, why didn't they just turn it around and put it against a wall?

That whole scene between Nick and Renard was just weird. I couldn't see any reason why Renard wouldn't tell Nick about the woman. And none of them really know anything, anyway.

And, seriously. Eve was so scared about looking in mirrors in case skull guy came back, but opening a portal by herself and then walking through it is fine? OK.

And, I might have forgotten this, but what happened to all those Black Claw Wesen around the world that wanted to kill all the humans?
Flag
Mar 13, 2017
The Nick/Renard scene was slightly weird in execution, like they needed a few more takes or something but overall i think the standoff is just supposed to reflect the lack of trust between them. Renard was gunning to kill Nick after all and Nick knows he's a shady dude.
Flag
Mar 12, 2017
Trubel??? Where was Trubel??? I didn't see Trubel in this episode.

Yeah, the script writers definitely seem to have caught on that the show is ending in 3 episodes. About time! I thought it was a definite improvement on the whole season so far. I won't miss this show for it's lazy writing.
Flag
Mar 12, 2017
When they said Trubel was a REOCCURRING character, they weren't kidding lol
I kept saying throughout this episode that Grimm had such a good cast, such a good world to explore, such magic they could've tried out...and the writers gave us "wesen of the week" for six seasons.
I'm disappointed. I've grown up with the show since I was RIGHT YEARS OLD. I'm almost double that age now. Grimm had so much potential and they didn't use it.
Oh well,
Good review :)
Flag
Mar 12, 2017
*eight years old, auto correct is a funny thing
Flag
Follow this Show
Members