A Grimm Community
NBC (ended 2017)
Looks around to see if staff is doing an actual review? No. Okay, here we go...

There's not really anything to like or dislike about "Fugitive". If you like the episode, nothing's changed. It's a smooth season jump from 5 to 6. Compare that to the same night's Sleepy Hollow, which basically had to replace the show cast and move the character out of his basic locale for three seasons and transplant him to DC.

"Fugitive" starts off after the end of the Season 5 finale. Nick and Renard stare at each other, there's some mildly black humorous dialogue, and Renard shrugs and walks out. The rest of Team Grimm spends a few minutes wandering through the tunnels and/or having significant conversations about pregnancy and being healed of mortal wounds.

Eventually Nick finds them and they head out to dispose of the bodies. Just when you thought that they had enough subplots for the last ten episodes of the series (everyone knows this is the final foreshortened season, right? "The Final Chapter"), Eve finds herself being grabbed by a dead Black Claw killer. He tries to suck her down to Hell to exchange her pure soul (?) for his own and have a happy afterlife for himself. The killer has symbols on his face which will be important later.

After Rosalee breaks the death grip (by cutting off the guy's hand), Eve and Trubel go back to the loft and check the cloth. Eve sees symbols on the cloth that Trubel can't, and they're the same symbols that were drawn on the killer's face. Ruh-roh! I have no idea what that means, and you'd think Eve would have enough subplots on her plate since she's also unable to transform into her Hexenbiest form and seems to be reverting back to Juliette.

Meanwhile, Renard gets a threatening call from Black Claw and tells them that Nick killed Conrad. He then orders a city-wide shoot-to-kill APB on Nick to cover his tracks. I know they were never buddies, but sheesh. This paints Renard in a pretty unsympathetic light.

Nick turns to Bud (the always hilarious Danny Bruno) for help when the police search all of his usual hangouts. Robert Blanche as Franco gets a goodly amount of screen time, too. He also seems to be the focus for something mystical, because Renard keeps having hallucinations of bloody hands and a bloody Franco. And something speaks through Franco, saying that Renard has chosen the wrong side. Since Team Grimm isn't speaking to Renard, I'm not sure what other side there is. But I doubt if it's a guilty conscience, so there must be another side out there somewhere with hallucination-sending magicks at the very least. So that'll probably pop up in the next nine episodes.

The rest of the episode is Renard and Team Grimm playing a game of Half-Hearted Cat and Super-Powered Mice. For some reason Renard gives Wu and Hank free run of the station other than a mild "don't get in my way" speech. But he puts BOLOs (Be on the Lookout) on their cars. But he doesn't seem too interested in their leading him to Nick. And he presumably knows that Wu can spot the BOLOs in the system. So I'm not sure what's going on. Eventually Renard figures out that Bud is harboring the fugitives, and takes a SERT team there to surround the place. Team Grimm spends about two minutes of screen time coming up with a cunning plan to fake-smuggle Nick out in a refrigerator that goes absolutely nowhere.

Did anyone else laugh when Trubel said, "I don't see anyone" and Nick responds, "You won't." Even ignoring the enhanced powers of Grimms (and Nick's post-zombie-enhanced super-senses), Franco wasn't exactly trying to be stealthy. Stevie Wonder could have seen Franco.

Oh, and Monroe suggests to Rosalee that they move out of Portland because it's not safe for their coming baby. But we can figure that they're not going to leave before the finale. And if Silas Weir Mitchell and Bree Turner left the show before the finale, I'd probably stop watching. Monroe is the source of much of the episode's humor, whether he's talking about dinner parties and corpses, or launching into some big long story about "the stick" and Rosalee abruptly cutting him off to say that they don't know is also pretty funny. Without them we'd be left with Reggie Lee smirking from time to time and making half-jokes about shooting Renard. I like Mr. Lee as much as the next viewer, but humor doesn't seem to be his forte.

And I wish they'd give "the stick" a name. It's a holy stick of "bringing people back from the brink of death": can't they come up with a better name than "the stick"?

The Holy Healing Stick of Antioch?

Nick and Adalind kiss, if you're into that kind of thing. The show being on break for seven months hasn't convinced me that they make a believable couple. Adalind still seems to be the endless victim. And the engagement ring Conrad gave her is apparently magically ensorcelled to hurt her children if she takes it off. Hopefully they'll give the character some agency before the show ends.

We don't find out much of anything about the Portland Wesen community, or Wesen in general. Black Claw and Haden's Wall are pretty much shut down in Portland. Remember the worldwide Black Claw-caused riots and all the Wesen in Portland that were part of the conspiracy? Neither do the producers, as it's all pretty... insular. Yeah, some Black Claw guy talks to Renard over the phone. But mostly it's Renard vs. Team Grimm. There's not even much mention of Renard being the mayor, except when a judge complains about Renard getting him out of bed in the middle of the night to order some search warrants.

So the show got the ball rolling on Season 6. But it didn't really tie up any loose ends, and added a few new ones: Renard's blood-hallucinations, Eve's woging problems, and Monroe and Rosalee's future as a family.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. What do you think?
32 Comments
Comments (32)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Jan 12, 2017

I want to watch the new season. I do. But I am just dumb-founded by where this show went in terms of character development. I mean what is even going on? I'm so scared that the END will just be...eh. Juliette/Eve is a mess, Renard-honestly I don't even get it for a minute why he would betray his friends so fast from last season-no sense at all and completely out of character-and Adalind...just damn it...where did my badass mama go??!

These reviews are super important, and I appreciate that you take the time to keep them up. I'll keep reading if you keep writing, and maybe use them as a guide before I cave and binge-watch the season when it's all over.

Flag
Jan 12, 2017
Well, I hope to keep reviewing. So far it looks good, if a little tight. On Fridays I do MacGyver, Grimm, and Sleepy Hollow, now that the last two have started. Plus... Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow. And Sherlock, but that wraps up this weekend.

Staff has Gotham and Flash covered, and Houbou has Lucifer covered. I'd like to do Agents of SHIELD, but Tuesdays are just too full for me when Flash and Legends start back up on 1/24.

Plus whatever one-shots I stumble across. I'd like to do an overall review of Class, but have to get through it first. Hopefully in a week or so. Maybe Lemon Snickety's. I don't plan to do any more reviews of my old-show fillers: currently McHale's Navy, Have Gun, and Trackdown.

Then in April/May, a bunch of new stuff will hit.

So reviewing all of that, plus my standard editing stuff, keeps me pretty busy. But yes, I hope to keep doing Grimm. The fact that it's only 13 episodes helps.
Flag
Jan 13, 2017

That's one hell of a tight ship over there. Good luck, man. And thanks for sticking it out-all of you. I love this site and I don't want to lose it.

Flag
Jan 13, 2017
Like McHale's Navy. There's occasionally a decent episode. But I've probably watched 20 over the Christmas break. And... eh, there's just not much there to review.

Mchale's, and AOS, and Timeless... they are what they are.
Flag
Jan 13, 2017
I don't know if my reviewing keeps the site afloat. I kinda doubt it. I just write because... well, I'm a writer. And no one else is reviewing stuff. If someone reviewed, say, Grimm, I wouldn't unless I vehemently disagreed with them to write a counter-review. And I typically don't vehemently disagree with anyone. :)

That, and as far as Agents of SHIELD, I just don't have much to say about it. If there's nothing that I feel inspired about to review, I can't write a review. Probably why I don't do weeklys of Timeless.
Flag
Jan 12, 2017
Thank you for helping keep the site afloat, Gislef. I liked the episode; we felt really lost at the beginning because the lead-in showing what happened last season was more confusing than refreshing, but the actors did a nice job and I think the whole team is committed to bringing the show to a good conclusion. I prefer Adalind to Juliette both generally and with Nick, so I can't complain, though it seems clear they're going to steer Nick and Juliette back together. And they've made Juliette more palatable, so... okay, whatever. I'm hoping Renard gets his head screwed back on straight, since there are now two supernatural offspring that need to be situated in loving homes by the end of the season and it seems like Renard/Adalind would get Diana and Nick/Juliette would get Kelly. I confess I'd like to see the supernatural world peaceful and sorted to a point where the final episode closes out on a relatively normal get-together with all the adult principals and Diana, Kelly and whatever the adorable MonRosalie cub is eventually named playing in the background.

I've always liked the show for its premise and characters, even if I didn't love every choice the show made. Looking forward to seeing how this all shakes out.
More+
Flag
Jan 12, 2017
As I said the last couple of years, I liked Juliette as a bad-ass... when she was allied with the team, in that oh-so-brief period in... S4? Yeah, she was Hexenbeisting in secret for the most part, but at least she was contributing to the team effort.

At least in this episode, she seemed to revert to weak again. She can't woge, she can't use her magic (although she can apparently still do potions, but that seems to be Rosalee's schtick these days anyway).

Which is another long-standing gripe of mine: are they going to tell us what Hexenbiest can do? Not show us one power per week (maybe), If Rosalee can do potions, and Hexenbeist can do potions... that leaves Hexenbeist as telekinetic throwers. Woo-hoo.
Flag
Jan 12, 2017
As long as this season doesn't do the whole 'solve a useless murder' plot, I will see this season as a success. I am only interested in the development of the characters and what happens to them.

P.S. I am a big shipper of Adalind and Nick. There's just something about them that I enjoy watching. I hope Juliette stays a badass and if Renard didn't turn evil, I would have liked it if she ended up with him.
Flag
Jan 12, 2017
I think this season has 13 episodes, not 10 ... I read it somewhere but I'm not sure
Flag
Jan 12, 2017
Yeah, it's 13.
Flag
Jan 07, 2017
Honestly I agree with this review. The episode is perfectly explained as "a game of Half-Hearted Cat and Super-Powered Mice" Though the episode was exciting, it honestly went in a circle. Didn't go anywhere. Hope the writers speed things up and answer questions before the show ends. Still love Grimm.

(Wonder why Mary Ann Sleaseman didn't write a review? By the tones of her last couple reviews, I assume she probably quit)
Flag
Jan 08, 2017
You can read elsewhere on the site where last year's staff reviewers aren't for the most part reviewing shows this year at tv.com.
Flag
Jan 07, 2017
I'm glad to have it back but not sure if i'm into the direction taken with Renard being a bad guy. This and Black Claw feel a bit anti-climatic. Still, there's the scooby gang shenanigans which is enough to keep me watching. That and the fact it's the last season. What is BOLO?
Flag
Jan 08, 2017
BOLO = Be On the LOokout for.

I wouldn't mind Renard as a bad guy, but he's kind of a dumb bad guy here. I still don't get the point of him letting Hank and Wu run free. I think we're supposed to assume that he figures they might lead him to Nick. But nothing on-screen really indicates that other then the fact he has BOLOs on their car. And Hank saying that they shouldn't use their cellphones. But there's not really much indication that Renard is tapping their phones.

Admittedly, if Renard was smart then it'd be a really short episode. Would anyone listening in on the Hank/Bud call be fooled? These are cops who "won't be seen" even by Grimms. And yet they can't figure out phone calls that wouldn't fool a kindergarten teacher? Overall, Renard seems really, really dumb here.

If they had him as a Miachiavellian type, it'd be okay, but he seems less concerned about the Royals (he's still on the outs with them, right?) than he is about Black Claw and Nick. And as they said, Black Claw is pretty much kaput in Portland. He has the perfect chance to get Nick on his side after killing Conrad just by nodding his head and agreeing with Nick when Nick points out that he killed Conrad. Instead Renard says, "Oh, it wasn't really me that killed Conrad" and then walks out. He's not telling Nick the truth to get him on his side. So telling the truth to a potential enemy is just dumb.
More +
Flag
Jan 08, 2017
I thought Black Claw wanted Nick dead, hence Renard going against him?

I think the thing with Hank and Wu is just for appearances sake in the precinct. I can't see how Renard could have put an APB shoot-to-kill on all three of them.
Turning Renard into the bad guy just seems wrong mainly because his character never seemed interested in power beyond the position he held. It;s too contrived.
Flag
Jan 13, 2017
I think Renard knows that his authority is absolute, but he also doesn't want an entire precinct turning against him. Especially since noone in the precinct appears to be Wesen. I imagine that most of them probably voted for him, but he's still the out-going Captain, which means that he does have to step lightly.

Trying to sequester Hank and Wu without evidence of wrongdoing might cause some of the older veterans to start looking into HIM more closely (and this appears to have already happened, even if it seemed to come by chance). So he had them followed, but he wasn't immediately going to consider them persons of interest in a murder investigation when he's already going full bore after a well-liked cop. Granted, Nick's past run-ins with the FBI might be coming back to haunt him.
Flag
Jan 08, 2017
Plus Renard knows that Nick has some very powerful allies. Nick has Eve, he has Rosalee, he has Trubel, he had HW, he has Monroe (who seems to know a lot of Wesen outside of Portland), he seems well liked by the non-criminal Portland Wesen community...

And Renard came up with the "frame Nick" plan before BC called him, didn't he? He comes home, he tells Adalind what's going on, he gets PO'd, and he tells Adalind that she made the mistake of falling in love with Nick. He arrives and sees the two dead north side Wesen cops. Then he says Nick is responsible. And then the anonymous BC rep calls him later in his office. Renard is acting more like a scorned lover--the uneven side of a Nick-Adalind-Renard love triangle--than a powerful guy trying to cover his tracks and curry favor with another powerful political force.
Flag
Jan 13, 2017
I think Renard feels cornered. And besides being a long-term and patient planner, Renard is also very much a survivor. He uses anyone he can't control directly and his alliance with the Team Grim was pretty much okay for him when it was mutually beneficial. Even now I'm not sure that he harbors any ill-will towards Nick. His warning to Adalind seemed to be more about the principle of the dangers of loving a Grimm who he saw as his asset moreso than anything else. I think that he sees Adalind falling in love with Nick as the key thing that kept Nick from continuing their alliance after he joined with BC, not any principled disdain that Nick had for the group itself. I think he thinks that he could have convinced him of the benefits had Adalind not been involved with Nick. So imo, he's more angry with Adalind for complicating his plans than anything else. He never even considered making Adalind his wife until BC "suggested" that it was necessary.

I'm not even sure that Renard has any true convictions outside of his own ambition to lead. BC, Adalind et al (perhaps with the small exception of his daughter) are all just pieces on the board to him.

With that said, his reason for going after Nick are clear, it was his only move. The moment that he said that he had no intention of taking responsibility for the kill, it was clear that he was going to go after Nick. I can't think of any other person that he could lay those deaths at the feet of. If it was soley a question of making a case that would pass muster with the courts,... well we've seen how he and Team Grimm tie up loose ends off screen and make cops and FBI agents alike believe their stories. But he knew that BC would not believe that a powerful Zauberbiest like Bonepardte could be killed by anyone other than himself or Nick. So it was either go to war with the very people who had just made him mayor and could reassert their power in Portland in the future, or cut a loose end that was never anything more than a useful asset and sometime ally who never truly trusted him in return. it was always an easy question for him. He might be annoyed at having to kill off a useful ally,.. a GRIMM, that he'd spent years cultivating but weighed against BC and the fact that he'd thrown in with them so completely, he had no choice. And there was little chance that HW would ally with him after he'd been in bed with BC.
More +
Flag
Jan 13, 2017
I don't get why Renard is PO'd about Adalind falling in love with Nick. It's not like he ever loved her himself. She was a tool to him, nothing more. And she used him just about as much as he used her. There was never any commitment between the two. However, it may be that Renard does harbor some quasi-racial views or an "understanding" that Wesen and Grimms shouldn't try to mix because when it ends badly, they should have seen it coming.
Flag
Jan 08, 2017
Renard didn't sound cocky to me when he talked to Adalind. He sounded PO'd. It might be because Diana manipulated him into it, but the hatred seems directed more at NIck than Diana.

And whether Renard is concerned about BC, or trying to curry favor with them, or some of both, or is so eager to remain mayor that he just wants to stay where he is... none of it really fits with either what we've seen of him, or what the status of BC is in Portland in the episode. BC has been wiped out, including the powerful guy who was in charge... and Nick is the one who mostly did it after casually surviving a mortal wound. My first move wouldn't be to antagonize the guy who is much harder to kill than I thought and just wiped out the losing side.

I'd say Renard's caution and/or patience over the last few years is one of his defining characteristics. But here he decides to take on Nick after... what, five minutes of screen time? Given what he's just seen Nick do, what's the rush?
Flag
Jan 08, 2017
The "frame Nick" plan is opportunistic, fits in with Black Claws overall plan to get rid of Nick and yes Renard can "curry favour" with them. I don't think Renard cares one way or another if Adalind is in love with Nick. He was just being cocky.
Flag
Jan 08, 2017
I understand that Black Claw wants Nick dead, and that Renard is trying to kill Nick to get in good with them. However, given that BC was wiped out in Portland (per Trubel), I'm not clear why Renard is so worried about them that he wants to get in good with them.

At this point they seem a bit too nebulous a threat for Renard to suddenly turn on a former, potential, and very deadly ally. Nick beat BC, at least the Portland branch... so Renard is going with the losing side? And so suddenly?

Sasha Roiz and the writers are making it look like Renard has something personal against Nick. But i don't recall anything that would make it such a personal issue for the captain. He's not one to be corrupted by wealth and personal power: he was Portland police captain for three years and I don't recall him using his position in such a manner.

Renard could have Hank and Wu arrested as co-conspirators without ordering a shoot-to-kill. Heck he knows that they're not as dangerous as a Grimm, so he doesn't have to order a shoot-to-kill. They're right there in the station, surrounded by cops: have them arrested.
More +
Flag
Jan 13, 2017
Except the team hid the bodies: the Portland PD has no idea who Bonaparte is or that he and his men are dead.
Flag
Jan 13, 2017
I also don't think that he could have framed anyone other than Nick. He could have convinced the Portland PD and the city who don't know what Bonaparte was, but he wouldn't have convinced BC that it was anyone other than him or Nick. Maybe Eve, but she wasn't with them at the time.
Flag
Jan 13, 2017
I think that Renard knows that, while he might have some chance of making nice with Nick and Co after saving his life, Nick's allies are still HW. In the end the war between HW and BC will return to Portland (even if that happens after the series finale), and while Nick and his friends might forgive him, HW won't. After investigating into how deeply involved with BC he was, they aren't likely to grant him any clemency. He may be on his own in Portland, but he's hoping that BC wins worldwide in order to maintain his own position in the long-run. He can't be friends with Nick and Co after that, and he also cannot allow Nick and Adalind to be together since BC is vested in keeping him with Adalind.
Flag
Jan 12, 2017
@Tamsin90: I can buy that this is the S1 hostile Renard. But even then, he wasn't issuing shoot-on-sight orders for Nick. We're supposed to think that Renard has forgotten everything that he's learned about Nick since S1... and that's what bothers me.

I'm fine with a hostile Renard. But hostile Renard never took on Nick in S1 when Nick was relatively weak and ally-less, and wasn't shrugging off mortal bullet wounds. Now that Nick is stronger and has allies and heals from mortal bullet wounds... Renard wants to take him on?

If Renard has been grooming Nick as "his" Grimm, I can buy that too. But then why toss it all down the toilet at a point where Nick has demonstrated what a great asset he is to have?
Flag
Jan 12, 2017
That's the thing I've liked/believed least in recent developments; that Renard could be so easily swayed by threats and promises of power, and would switch over to Black Claw so readily. He's always seemed like he has his own agenda that we don't necessarily get to see, but has never been power-hungry and seems to prefer cooperation and win-win too much for this 180 to fit with his character.
Flag
Jan 12, 2017
Can't you just see a shootout in the station as all the cops are trying to kill Hank, Nick, and Wu?! Ridiculous!

The first season Renard was all about killing Nick, using Adalind to mess with/kill Hank, and I don't remember what caused them to team up and form a partnership and a growing friendship. But I think I remember throughout the seasons Renard saying to various people that "he had a Grimm”. I think having Nick working with him and asking for his opinion/expertise was a nice power rush for him.

I think overall that Renard is all about himself, and doing what’s in HIS best interests in the long haul. But the writers either did too good of a job forging a friendship between him & Nick or are spaced out enough that suddenly making him the ultimate baddie and forcing this showdown between the 2 of them that it doesn’t feel right to me. It’s almost like we’re supposed to back in the S1 mentality where Nick was constantly trying to thwart Renard’s attempts to destroy him and everyone around him. But that’s just my opinion! J

I feel like there are still several large loose ends that need to be tied up before the show ends, but I have a feeling they won’t. I would like to see them dig deeper into the whole “Grimm” side of things, but I’m guessing they won’t. Let’s just hope when Nick takes the potion to turn into Renard he doesn’t knock up anyone! Lol!!

More +
Flag
Jan 08, 2017
Yep, they did all that. Last year for us, a day or so ago for the characters. But Nick wipes them out and casually survives a mortal wound, So Renard goes with BC over Nick?

IMO, that's the kind of thing that makes you reconsider alliances. Not double-down on supporting what turns out to be the losing side. If we figure Renard has never been Nick's buddy but has just been using him... he just threw away a resource he spent years cultivating. He could have framed anyone close to Nick.

It seems like there are a half-dozen ways Renard could have stalled and/or put indirect pressure on Nick, without going the route of a shoot-to-kill order against what is apparently the most dangerous man in Portland. Renard knows a lot about Nick's operation, true... so he should know how dangerous a threat Nick is even before discovering this episode that Nick can somehow survive mortal wounds. Then tell Mr. Losing Side on the phone, "Sorry, I've got to work through the law to find your people's killer. You're the one who gave me a high-profile position, even higher than the one I had."

For that matter, who does Renard think killed the two northside cops in the station? Nick Wesen-ripping people's throats out isn't his MO. If Wu isn't a suspect, that leaves Monroe or Rosalee.
More +
Flag
Jan 08, 2017
My memory is a bit hazy on this but i think it was the manner in which BC got him to be Mayor why Renard is wary of them. Killing that guy on the rally stand then virtually holding him, Adalind etc to ransom under one roof...
Flag
Jan 07, 2017
And yes, I know the opening image looks incredibly low-rez. And there's no art. Until tv.com staff fixes the edit button, I can't edit/fix any of this. At least I took out the image placeholders for this review, unlike my other two for tonight.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members