A Grimm Community
Friday 9:00 PM on NBC (Returning Thanks for the Memories, premiering October 24, 2014)
I'm posting this in the Grimm Community because a Grimm fanfic is what got me thinking about this, but it applies to any show with any old-school (i.e. not with guns) fighting for people's lives.

I'm going to do this in several polls, because I don't know how to do a single "rank these things" poll. The goal is to have a ranking of the most important attributes by the end. :)

I can think of 5 important attributes for a fighter-hero to have, just when it comes to fight scenes. Those attributes are (in alphabetical order):
  • Agile (self-explanatory)
  • Fast (self-explanatory)
  • Skilled (trained and knowledgeable in martial arts)
  • Smart (able to think on your feet)
  • Strong (self-explanatory)
What's the MOST important of these to have?

Edit for clarification: I think I phrased my post header badly yesterday. I should never have used the term, "martial artist" - I should have just said, "fighter." When I wrote this, I had a lot more in mind than just bare-handed fighting. (and, actually, even many "martial arts" involve weapons. Jiu Jutsu comes to mind).

To my mind, if it is something done with the goal of either knocking out, maiming, or killing your enemy, and is done for defensive or offensive purposes, and it requires more physical coordination than I have, it qualifies as a "martial art," at least for the purposes of this poll. :)
Karate? Martial art.
Swordplay? Martial art.
Taking a gun out and shooting somebody? Not a martial art.

poll

poll

poll