A Grimm Community
Friday 8:00 PM on NBC (Returning Fall 2016)
Just to keep us engaged through the Olympic hiatus. :) And hopefully beyond - as new episodes air, our ideas might change.

To me, there are stories that are primarily about the characters and their lives. Like OUAT, for example - it's really just about Emma and Henry and Regina and Snow and all of the other characters and their personal quests.

And then, there are shows like Star Wars. Or Game of Thrones, for that matter. Where you have lots of really good fleshed-out characters, each living their lives... but it's all leading to something bigger. So that, by the end of the story, the entire world will have been changed by these characters. So, while the story is about the characters, it's also about how the world is changed.

I think Grimm falls into the latter category, and have ever since... probably the middle of season 2. I think that, assuming this show is allowed to run to its conclusion (fingers crossed), then by the end, the world will have been changed.

Please vote and comment! Do you agree? Is this story really about the characters, or is there a world-changing arc, in addition to being about the characters? And if it's the latter, HOW do you think the world will be changed, by the end?

poll

Comments (41)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I think it's still 'world building', honestly. (Look how far we've come from Season 1!) I think the writers are still figuring out the Grimm universe as they go along (although they are doing so beautifully), and although it may seem like a cop out answer, I think Grimm at the moment falls squarely with one foot in each category. By focusing on the characters, the writers are able to explore the different species of Wesen, and their respective lore which in turns broadens the Grimm universe. But, at the same time, they are building up this whole Royal plot line which definitely has potential for big, world changing storylines in the future.

I'm looking forward to learning more about role of the Royals in the modern world, and Wesen politics (I LOVED the episode when Rosalee had to contact the Wesen Council, or the one when Bud had a town meeting with the local Eisbeiber.) Episodes like these show the existence of an overarching Wesen political and societal construct, and I really hope TPTB delve into them more in the future. :)
Flag
Here I what I want,

I want to see Nick and Renard take Monroe and Hank to Europe to lead the resistance and take the new baby Prince from Adalind .

Things seem to be pointing to have Renard crowed King over the bad brother. A lesson in German folklore and history would be interesting as it was a very bloody history, and one of the few tribes able to defeat the Roman army. I want the Mom to show up there and help to explain their history with the Gypsy and Grimms.

Some how Wu needs to stay involved, maybe runs the department and has to have Nick and Hank come back once and awhile to solve a Grimm case.

I just hope this show stays true to Grimm killing. It has had a few stinkers where it got too wordy or Politically Correct. It needs to stay focused on the Grimm power fights and not have Nick stand around in the background.
Flag
Well some good discussion about what the show is about, lets talk about what we would like the show to be! Would love to see Nick and the gang traveling and solving wesen related incidents/crimes throughout Europe and the rest of the world. The whole Portland and Wesen bad guy of the week is getting pretty stale, it's pretty much becoming like any other cop procedural. I mean seriously how many Wesen murderers are there in Portland! But to improve on what's actually happening on the show they should move the whole Royal / resistance thing to Portland somehow atm its too disconnected feels like a whole other show whenever we cut to scenes in Europe where none of the main characters are involved. I find it hard to care about some random Europeans resisting against some random Royals
Flag
I don't know about anybody else, but I think this show is about keeping people entertained enough that a certain percentage of the population tunes in and keeps the advertisers happy. Sorry Kat, I had to say it. ;p
Flag
Nah.. I think that in the end, it's always about the status quo.. Something will happen and the world will move on and live ignorant that it's got monsters and wesens, etc.. it's always been a secret, most don't believe.

Flag
I'd say part of the reason Grimms exist is to keep the status quo: wesen are supposed to remain a secret, Nick is supposed to protect them from humans and humans from them. Hence the need for the fairytales.

If Nick does his job right there should be no substan change for wesen or humans.
Flag
There are still a boat load of wepons in the trailer he has not used yet!
Flag
subsatantial rather than substan
Flag
Um...all of these? I think the big picture portion of through this 'outsider' who actually belongs to this world we get introduced to this whole world that he is going to be a key to changing, but like if you look at a fantasy book series, we are maybe toward the end of the first part of the book. He is going to change it because of his relationships with his little Scooby gang and they all have a role to play as well and the big question which seems to have been from the pilot, is Renard really a representative of a third side in the fight that Nick et al would want to support (especially since it appears he is sort of a resource for the Resistance, but not really part of it and is working separately with his little crew - I weirdly think Sebastian might get along well with the Juliette portion of the crew). But meanwhile, Nick is changing what it means to be a Grimm and is trying to be inclusive rather than head chopping (I really can't wait for Mom to reappear to remind them all what the stereotypical scary Grimm is like).
More+
Flag
I am impressed you know who Sabastian is, he is not listed on IMDB.

Scooby gang, funny... some times it feels like a Friends episode and it all slows down. Let's hope the character development is over and they can get down to killing suff.

Flag
I chose the Resistance option...

But I think it's going to be Nick that changes the world, not the Resistance. In the end, every Resistance usually has that bright light that gives them hope, and I really think that Nick is becoming that light for many Wesen around the world. If he's not a Special Grimm in some way or fashion, I will be shocked. He's just too different to not be something more than he's been told.
Flag
Yes, I think that's a distinct possibility (especially since Nick's the protagonist)! :)

I mainly called it the "Resistance"... well, first for space (it's limited in the poll), and second... I just tend to compartmentalize a lot. :)

In my mind, Nick changing the world is a separate thing from Nick's personal journey, but it's the same as the Resistance changing the world... technically, it's just a difference between a Resistance without Nick changing the world, and a Resistance with Nick (maybe even inspired/led/motivated by him) changing the world. Which... I agree, the former is probably not possible/likely/desired, given what we've seen of the existing Resistance (they don't really seem to have a goal, other than a world without royals, nor do they have any sense of unity, both of which are necessary for any kind of permanent success in changing the world).

I can't wait to see Nick really get a fire going, both in his own heart, and then in other people's. :)

That said: writers, if you're reading this, you're doing a great job with the slow buildup. Me like. Please don't have Nick get involved until he's good and ready. :D
More +
Flag
I see the show as the personal journey of a Grimm through the wesen community, his personal history and his role in a new and improved Royal House (Captain Renard's).
Flag
They should really flesh out the Royals more, all we really know is that the Royals "control the world" and are in positions of power. So what would be the difference under Renard?
They should make it clearer just why the current Royals need to be overthrown so urgently and if it is going to be a main story line they really have to get Nick and the team involved in it more. So far it only has been Renard and Adalind.
Flag
I'd say the main difference is that Renard is half-wesen, its only logical to assume any Monroe-Rosalee's baby should be safer in a world where a half-wesen Royal is ruling over the Verrat, the Grimms or the Resistance.
Flag
I agree; they definitely should flesh it out more. So far, we know there's a resistance movement, and Rosalee's brother was a part of it, and it's got this whole organizational structure in Europe, so I think we can safely assume they're resisting something. :)

But other than that... we know the stories of the Verrat. And so far, we have seen, firsthand, a few examples of how unscrupulous royals, in general, are... how little they care about anything or anybody beyond their own power plays.

(wow... when I look at it put like that, Nick looks a lot like Eddard (Ned) Stark...)

Anyway, we do see some examples, but they're all on a personal level. But still... it gives some small examples. We've seen medieval torture sessions while Eric is on the phone. We've seen Eric poison a loyal employee with an excruciatingly painful poison... apparently just for kicks. And then he poisoned Nick, just as a power play against Sean, without any concern for Nick himself. We've seen people kill each other for coins and for keys. All to gain power for themselves. All while using other people as pawns - which is a very outdated morality, and has no place in today's society.

Perhaps most telling of all, we've seen an unknown royal put a bounty on Monroe's head, the stated reason being to make an example of him - to show what happens when a Wesen befriends a Grimm. Which means they dictate who can be friends with whom. It also means they're worried about where it could lead.
More +
Flag
I think this story is of a revolution. In the universe of Grimm. Royals embody old world values, strict division of the classes, the masses being governed by the powerful few. The Wesen, are the oppressed masses, weakened by old prejudices that have so far prevented them from uniting against a singular threat. Nick, Monroe, Rosalee, Juliette, and Hank represent the ideal new world. They have united, in defiance of the status quo and emerged the stronger for it. They will stand against the Royals, fighting for tolerance, equality, and freedom.
Flag
I agree. But I think the much overlooked player in this drama is the City of Portland. What is it about Portland that brings Wesen wanting to break out from the old ways (a vegetarian Bluttbad, a father-and-daughter Coyotil, and a family of Niads, or just simply looking for a second chance like a reformed addict Fushbau and a hunted renegade half Royal-half Zauberbiest to establish their roots there? Add to that a late developing Grimm who doesn't play by the traditional rules of his kind by becoming more of a protector than judge, jury and executioner. The City of Portland in the series has become not only a melting pot for all kinds (Regular humans, Wesen, a Royal and a Grimm) but what may become ground zero for the revolution. So far, the Royals and to some extent, the Wesen Council have in the past only had cursory interest in Portland. However, over time, this has changed, not only because of Nick and Sean Renard, but also because of events like the spree robbing Blutbads, the parasite and the Grampus which has forced the hand of the Wesen Council. However, I think the big event which will bring all the player together in Portland will be Adelind. I suspect that when things begin to get really crazy, she will have no choice but to take refuge in Portland. In turn, the Royals and even the Wessen Council may get involved, which will likely not bode well for the citizens of Portland. Why will Adelind be so important? I don't think that her child is simply the offspring of a Royal-Zauberbiest and Hexenbiest. I think when she performed the ritual to regain her powers she inadvertently forced Nick's blood out of her system into her child making him or her part Royal, part Hexenbiest and part Grimm. This would explain the strange image appearing on her belly which looked much like a skull, the sometime symbol of the Grimm.
More +
Flag
Interesting theory about Adalind's baby! I like the kind of sense that it makes, and I'd never thought of that before - that this is how Adalind will get her powers back... by clearing her body of the Grimm blood. That would be an interesting development. But, to be honest, I'm not entirely sure where they would go from there... why Adalind's baby being part-Grimm would matter to the story, other than, "Oh, Adalind's baby is part Grimm, part Royal, and part Hexenbiest." Unless the baby will grow at a supernatural rate or something (ugh - please no Renesmee), it shouldn't matter if it's part Grimm, because it's still just a baby.

Should be worth noting that hexenbiests/zauberbiests also have kind of a skull-like appearance when they are woge'd.

I like your point about Portland being a character. I'm kind of torn, myself, as to why Wesen gravitate there... part of me wants to believe that it's because of some mystical "Hellmouth"-style quality, and the other part wants to think that all of these people who want to break traditional roles gravitated to Portland because... it's Portland. :D IRL, Portland is a very liberal city. A great living environment for those with that general mindset. And, being surrounded by mountains and a wonderful climate except for the half a year when it's foggy, it's the perfect natural environment for those who want to live in nature while at the same time live in a city and make a living.

I really like your idea about Portland being central. I'd gotten so used to the whole idea of the "Royals and the Resistance" plot being in Europe, I'd just assumed that when Nick finally actively joins that plot (as he must at some point; otherwise, why do we have a "Royals and the Resistance" plot?) then that means he will go to Europe. But I like your idea a lot better... I hope the plot does come to Portland instead of Nick and company moving to where the plot is. :)
More +
Flag
If the child turns out to be part Royal, part Grimm and part Hexenbeist, it could be the greatest potential threat to the status quo that the Royals are trying to reestablish. I think they've learned their lesson when they discounted Sean Renard as a threat during the years he was growing up. Imagine someone like Sean Renard with the powers of a Grimm and the arcane knowledge of a Hexenbiest. You either want him or her eliminated early on or get him or her under your control. With someone like that under your control, you have the ability to instill true fear among the Wessen, especially those who are rebelling against the plans of the Royals. I've wondered what makes the Grimms so formidable aside from strength almost equal to some Wessen, enormous stamina, hyper senses, and a treasure trove of weapons and historical knowledge about the strengths and weaknesses of the Wessen. I think it's the ability to remain preternaturally calm and focused during a battle. When Wessen woge and engage in heated battle there comes a point where they actually lose control whereas Nick is just the opposite, almost supernaturally so. This is the reason why Eric Renard went to such lengths just to kidnap Nick when he could have just tried to kill him and why Sean Renard in dealing with the resistance carefully chooses his words to give them the impression that he has a Grimm under his control.

I think that there's more than a good chance that the Royals and possibly the Wesen Council are eventually going to go to Portland. My suspicion is that the treasure or part of it that Nick's and the Royals' map parts is suppose to lead to may be hidden in the forests of Portland. Although Monroe said that the part of Nick's map seems to indicate the Black Forest of Germany, I don't think it's that obvious. It's always bothered me that when Nick's ancestors found the treasure during the Crusades, they would bring it back to Europe especially if they wanted to prevent the Royals from getting it. It would make more sense for them to hide it in the New World.

More +
Flag
Nicely said! :)
Flag
Then again, Sean Renard is already fighting that battle just by being alive.

He's a half-breed that defied the Verrat, the Royals and the Resistance to claim a place for himself in this world, to say he was worthy despite his origins, to win a Grimm's loyalty where the Royal Houses had failed.

If a half hexenbiest can do that, there's hopw for a half blutbad, lowen or naiad too.
Flag
Renard's place in this fight is yet to be determined. He has been rejected by the royals and persecuted by them, thus for now he is allied with the Resistance, HOWEVER he also has Royal blood and with that a strong desire to rule. Will Renard help topple the old regime, only to form another, just as oppressive, in it's place? Or will Renard truly embrace the ideology that Nick and the Resistance fight for and prove worthy to be a leader of the people?
Flag
A Prince on Grimm seems so much different than a Prince in real life, judging only by the effect Renard's kiss had in Sleeping Juliette.

He's a natural born leader, he can't help but to (hence the reason he made it Captain. However, that doesn't mean Renard has the desire to rule, seems more of a calling than anything else to me.

I think he chose to lead wesen because he's one of them - half of him, at least - he embraced the Resistance for the same reason he embraced Monroe, Griffin or Nick: the give his people a fighting chance.
Flag
The whole resistance and royal arc seems figuratively and literally a world away, first of all I would like to know just what exactly are they "resisting" these events are taking place in modern day Europe so what are the Royals doing that is so ghastly that this group of Wesen feel the need to resist. Europe last time I checked seems like a pretty cool place to live, well most parts :)

. Grimm is pretty much your standard procedural with a sprinkling of lore to spice things up every now and then. It's greatest strength is the core group and how they've overcome their Wesen vs Grimm animosity to become good friends.
Flag
I like that about Monroe, he has always been open to friendship regardless what Nick's ancestors did to his.
Flag
Myself, I think this story is about the Royals and the Resistance. Namely, the Royals are the villains, who have persecuted and enslaved Wesen, given preferential treatment to the Verrat (who, in turn, have bullied other Wesen into doing things their way), and purposely set Wesen against Wesen and Grimm against Wesen and Wesen against Grimm, all to keep anybody from figuring out that the real villains are the Royals.

And they've been doing this for centuries. Until now. Until Renard, who has his own agenda, began plotting together with the Resistance. And right now, Renard, and the Resistance is still just waiting. They just need one more thing - for Nick to be on board. If they have the Grimm, that is the single game-changer that the Royals cannot beat.

But because Nick is too principled, he would never just enter the war just because Renard tells him to. So Renard has to wait until something - anything about the Royal families rubs so far against Nick's principles, that he will choose to act on his own.

That's where Monroe and Rosalee come in. Even when they're not actively doing anything, the Verrat are a specter over their relationship, keeping them from being happy, which is unjust. Not to mention, the Verrat also put Hank in the hospital, the royals probably put a bounty on Monroe's life, Rosalee was already in danger because of her relationship to the Resistance, the Royals supported Adalind's plot to poison Juliette, and... oh, right... a Royal turned Nick into a zombie and was responsible for Nick killing a (sort of) innocent man. And that's just the stuff we know about so far. More stuff may happen later.

After the Verrat, just by existing, keep Monroe and Rosalee apart, Monroe might take the initiative to join the Resistance after this, or Nick might do it without him.

When Nick joins, or maybe even eventually takes over, the Resistance, then the real story begins. :)

The story ends with the Royals gone, and the Verrat gone, and Wesen of the world are free to live their own lives (within the boundaries of human law, of course), and new legends of Grimms who stand for real justice.

That's what I'm picturing, at least. :)
More+
Flag
Follow this Show
Members