A Grimm Community
Friday 8:00 PM on NBC (Returning Fall 2016)
Grimm's nearing the home stretch of its third season, and while it has transitioned out of a somewhat shaky start into a solid and more focused series, if we're all honest with ourselves the show's titular Grimm, Detective Nick Burkhardt, hasn't exactly made any progress in professionalizing himself. Sure, he's got his reasons, including a full-time job as a Portland police detective, but again if we're honest, because Portland is apparently overrun by criminal wesen, his day job dovetails a lot with his extracurriculars. And sure, he's gotten better at it. Nick's got a good memory for the wesen he's already encountered, and he seems to have retained the fighting skills he miraculously acquires when he really needs them. But Nick's approach to Grimm-ing is basically the same as it was his first month: encounter new wesen, rummage Aunt Marie's trailer for information by leafing through old journals and consulting when needed for translations, rummage Aunt Marie's trailer for weapons you still didn't know she had, and—cross your fingers—rely on your innate combat skills to stay alive.

Really? If this is going to be a lifetime thing for Burkhardt, he needs to make some improvements to his methods. I suggest the following steps.

1. Take an actual inventory of Aunt Marie's trailer

When Nick, Monroe, and Hank prepare for a fight, they raid Marie's weapons closet like they're browsing for a shirt or picking a cupcake flavor. What do I feel like today? I honestly don't believe Nick even knows what's in that trailer. Weapons, potions, artifacts, family photos. Figure it out, man!

2. Develop your combat styles

Nick continues to skate by on his police academy training and his instinctive Grimm skills. And, yeah, he's pretty good. But if you're going to spend most of your adult life fighting supernaturally strong monsters with belligerent tendencies, wouldn't you want to diversify your combat styles and learn how to use the more obscure weapons in your medieval arsenal? Nick should be improving his repertoire Ultimate Fighter style.

3. Improve the research system

A generous collection of hand-written journals may be rife with information, but it's an unacceptably inefficient way of organizing it. Flipping page-by-page looking for sketches that resemble the creature that woged every week has to be tedious. And Juliette is the only character I can recall who actually reads the journals without immediate need. (It's one of the growing list of nagging reasons I sort of suspect Juliette might make a better Grimm than Nick.) Also, there's no way to cross-reference multiple accounts of the same wesen. The information in those books needs to be digitized, preferably in a database. It's a monumental task, but aren't there Grimm interns?

4. For God's sake, learn German and Latin

Monroe's useful, no doubt, but by this point Nick should have taken a little more initiative to learn the languages so many of his books are written in. Sure, his reading familiarity is improving bit by little bit, but with a growing threat from the royals in Austria, Nick just needs to invest in some language-learning CDs for his police car.

poll

Addendum:

5. Take precautionary measures.

So far, Rosalee and her spice shop have been phenomenally useful. On several occasions she's concocted potions to combat several ailments and to undo several curses. While many of these, such as the antidote to the zombie spell, are highly specialized, I can't help but suspect that not ALL her remedies need be made to order, and many of them are probably widely useful. An emergency/first aid kit for Nick would be very wise.

90 Comments
Comments (90)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Just coming back to this thread, because I was thinking about how Nick has moved his trailer to a super-secret location... in the middle of the forests of the Pacific Northwest... that have been known to experience fires from time to time.

So *ahem* Nick... what's the progress on getting, at the very least, a backup copy of your irreplaceable journals?
Flag
off topic but still has to do with Nick's future...if Nick and Juliette have a baby will it be a Grimm or a hybrid? What would its powers be?
Flag
Sorry this is belated; just saw this post. :)

Kelly Burkhardt kind of answered this. Nick's dad was (according to all indications) a regular kehrseite. Kelly was a Grimm. Kelly spent most of the time Nick was growing up, hoping that Nick wouldn't become a Grimm.

So it apparently works kind of the same way it does for Wesen. In any pairing that involves a kehrseite and a non-kehrseite (Grimm or Wesen), there seems to be a 50-50 chance that the child will be kehrseite, and otherwise, they'll be a full-fledged Grimm (or Wesen, depending on the other parent). :)

Makes sense, when you think about it. Grimms are so rare, that they'd have to pair with kehrseite most of the time, since otherwise there would be massive inbreeding, and Grimms have historically seemed unlikely to fall for Wesen.
Flag
thats a good qestion
Flag
Actually, it's pretty heavily implied that he's already done/doing almost everything on the list off-screen. (For example, there was an ep a season or two ago when Nick roped Monroe into some practice sessions with a bunch of Grimm weapons, and it was implied that this was going to be a consistent thing.)

Good list, though, but IMO, you missed one of the most important bits of advice: UPDATE THE ARMORY ALREADY! I mean, fighting fist and fang with a crossbow and a police-issue vest? We live in an age of advanced materials, CNC machines, and online science journals. Unless you're dirt poor, there is no excuse for fighting wesen in a way that doesn't include composite armor and automatic firearms with custom ammo.
Flag
Nick needs a batcave -- like Arrow, the Winchester bros, and those kids from That 70's Show. You can barely move with three people in that trailer and he's still training in the woods for Dog's sake!

Flag
yes, yes, he needs a cave. and he needs to make copes of all that he has 2 hide it some other place 2 be safe. get blue prints of all his weapons so he will know how 2 fix them because some of them r crazy. Rosalee need 2 clean up her shop for nick its his hospital & her science lab room. she needs to up it up that back room u know.
Flag
Move the trailer into a room in the spiceshop could be like a little grimm batcave, technialy its a tv show so they could just add an unused attic to the spiceshop would be very useful.
Also i think Nick should just read up on those books to expand his knowledge, that way he could at least see the signs and know before hand without having to go an research all the time.
Flag
Nick should go abroad to confront The Royal family
Flag
Not yet. He's not strong enough for that at yet, not physically-Grimm-wise and not concerning allies. The way the stotyline develops at the moment, he will at one point have to go to Europe, because the "treasure", whatever that is, is there. But as the development goes, I don't see that happening before the end of season 4 and into season 5. Hopefully the show gets those two more seasons.

Could be that he comes into possession of another key, there are 2 more unkbown out there. That would also be a good way to introduce another Grimm temporarily either as ally or adversary, into the show, maybe at the end of season 3 and the beginning of season 4. Maybe even have his mother return to help bring the other Grimm down, if he/she is an enemy.

At the moment, he should concentrate on his own development and his home turf. Let the royals and their goons come to him, if they want something. At the moment they have other, probably more pressing matters to do in Europe. So Nick should use that time to prepare himself, after all, everyone tells him that some big shit is going to hit the fan soon.
More +
Flag
I would have done the whole inventory thing right at the beginning. Everyone, espicially someone like a cop, should know the value of fast and easy reseach ability. This desperately needs to be done and fast, seeing that Nick has been attacked at and even in the trailer (the Nuckelavee) already. The chance that something is damaged and destroyed is way too high and given how many already know where the trailer is and that he's not exactly stealthy when he drives there, the secret is imo already blown and it is only a matter of time before some evil guys decide to destroy or steal the stuff.
Also a nice idea to maybe make modern copies of the ancient weapons and store them somewhere else. He so needs a secondary secret place just in case.

He also should learn a bit about potions, herbs and other stuff. He doesn't need to make them, he has Rosalee and now also Juliette for that, but he should know how and when to use the stuff. And yes, the mentioned Grimm first aid/emergency kit should always be at hand.

More fight-training is always a must. The seemingly random one time sessions with Monroe have to be established as regular occurences and not only when it strikes his fancy or when he wants to try out a newly acquired ability. Also he should try to experiment more with his possible abilities. His hearing has becomes excellent, because it needed to compensate for the loss of sight, so what if he would use sensory deprivation of hearing, smell, tough, taste? Wouldn't the other senses compensate for that too? Imo that's worth a bit of experminenting. What about his reaction to different drigs and potions? The Cracher Mortel was not able to mentaly control him and the second time he got spit at, it didn't seem to work like the first time anymore.

He also has to learn more about history and wesen culture. Things like that are always a great help. Yes, he has Monroe, Rosalee and now also Renard for that, but when he is on a case it is hardly appropriate to waste precious time to consult with his "experts", to find out that wesen X always comes in groups, wesen Y is poisonous and wesen A really really hates wesen B.

More+
Flag
You're so right. I would've inventoried that trailer one lazy saturday afternoon, and had a fuckin great time doing it!!!
Flag
I agree with the books.. you gotta get an app for that shit.. one that can translate.

Would be good to know what other grimms do but I suspect its too late in the season to introduce a story arc like that.
Flag
There are other Grimms out there. Do they all work alone? His aunt and mom do, but I can't figure out why the wessens are so afraid of the Grimms when it seems like they easily outnumber the Grimms.
Flag
I really like the idea about digitizing the library. I mean, by the second season of Buffy (and that was in the 90's) they were starting to bring the vampire slaying into the 21st century. Nick needs to set up some sort of online database thingamajig, or at least scan all of the pages in all the books, in case they get lost (or stolen!)

Also, Team Nick needs a home base. The trailer was great at the start, but like Rabid Monkey says, I keep waiting for the episode where all the Grimm paraphernalia gets stolen or destroyed. They need a bunker. Like the Men of Letters in Supernatural... or something.
Flag
It's like you read my mind on every thought. Maybe learn to sketch the weekly wessen on a tablet and it then scans the database... get with the times.
Flag
I keep waiting for someone to follow him to the trailer and either torch or steal all the stuff in it.
Flag
All of the suggestions are good, though I think inventorying the trailer and learning new fighting styles are key. But I like the suggestion below of meeting up with another non-mom Grimm and take lessons to be the best. Nick needs a mentor.
Flag
Yes! Nick really does need a mentor. His mom needs to come back. And soon.
Flag
I think what Nick really needs right now is a history lesson. This learning on the job about Wessen and Royals was okay at the beginning but his ignorance about the bigger picture will put him and his team at a great and dangerous disadvantage sooner than later. He can no longer believe that Portland is isolated from the activities of the Royals or that of the Wessen Council. He and Juliet need to find a Wessen historian that can brief the on the history of the Royals, the Wessen and the Grimms. Most of all, what the Royal really are, what powers do they posses, the dynamics of their relationships, and how deep are their hooks into the world economy and international politics.
Flag
He should be doing all the above given option.
Flag
First rule of combat: know your enemy, especially his language. But how can Nick know his german, if even the scriptwriters screw it up. Don't get me wrong, I like this show and they really have improved (hey, native german actors posing as germans!) but some words are just... wrong! If they need some advice on german language, grammar and sayings just give me a call. I am german and would be happy to help out for free. Just don't give me anymore crap like "Seltenvogel", "Bauerschwein" etc., htese words just don't exist and people will learn them wrong!
Flag
The names of the Wesen are made up words, right? From the comic books series (didn't this come from a comic series?), so I thought it made sense that it wasn't real German...?
Flag
Dynamite's comic series is a tie-in to the television show. Much like DC/Wildstorm's mini-series for Supernatural.
Flag
Ahh, I see. Whoops! Thanks! :)
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Are there any Germans or all they all supposed to be Austrian?

Generally, I find the language situation—Sasha Roiz' French Canadian fluency and Bitsie Tulloch's native Spanish aside—rather desperate. My German proficiency is limited to reading in a few field-specific areas, but even I cringe. But with the individual wesen species I'm willing to grant Grimm a little slack. I recognize their need to coin new terms otherwise unattested in the language to identify mythical species. The pattern of noun formation is familiar enough to me (again, non-native) that most of them mostly make sense. They're ridiculous, but they make sense.
Flag
Well, I have suspected his police force affiliation is only around so long as Renard's plans are still secretive, but yeah, I can see one of these hunts that Juliette is involved in and she just declares that she is going to organize all this stuff much better and the boys just let her. I am not sure what sort of deliberate fight training will do for Nick since his instincts seem to allow him to access certain skills and if he is not fighting a Wesen he might not have access to certain strengths. I do think that now that Wesen were able to track him to the trailer, that Monroe's father might not have the same concept of secrecy to the trailer, and maybe even that learning that Renard knows about it, it might start to make sense just to park it in Nick and Juliette's driveway at this point.
Flag
All your points are excellent (except maybe "pick up additional fighting styles"...just bring a gun), but for me the most annoying detail is that he didn't take a few days during that first month to sit down and actually study the books like he had an exam coming up. If the problem is that they're in German, and he doesn't know German, then his top priority should be to learn some German.

It also bugs me that he doesn't have any kind of backup for the books. Several people have followed him to the trailer now. In the last episode, some really bad guys found him there. If the show had made sense, he would at least have to assume that MAYBE they have some buddies who now know the location of the trailer. He should start by scanning everything into a computer. Keep a copy, encrypted of course, on his computer at home and another on the computer at work. Put some copies on USB drives, and give them to Hank, Monroe and Rosalee, so that they have access to the files at everyone's homes and at the shop.
Flag
No doubt, Nick's "secret" is about the worst kept one in Portland. And it's not like that trailer lot gets much traffic for him to blend into. He's either a supernatural hunter or a serial killer. Speaking of which, WHERE does he put the wesen corpses? It's not like he can reasonably explain why he semi-scalped three dudes in a storage lot with his buddy and his buddy's dad.
Flag
Use grimmonline.com like any other 20th century grimm, dude... or wesenonline.com for that matter... geez ;)
Flag
There's a wiki for EVERYTHING!
Flag
A good idea would be to maybe re-tell a story of one of his ancestors who actually looks like him, maybe spice up the story in some way!!!
Flag
Knowing that most Grimms discover what they are/develop their abilities when they are 10 years old and Nick got a severely late start at 30, I think he's doing as well as can be expected. He's still fumbling around, but it's only been three years, and until his system doesn't work, I don't expect him to change it up anytime soon.

He especially doesn't want to digitize his information because, hello, there's a reason that Aunt Marie's trailer needs to be super secret! The last thing he needs is being able to get hacked by some super smart brain person and having all of the information fall into the wrong hands.
Flag
You don't have to network your digital files. It's an easy way to prevent being hacked. Not ALL computers have internet access. To hack them locally would still be much more difficult than breaking in to Nick's trailer.

Certainly, there's an aesthetic in the show that resists these kind of updates. The trailer is a very moody, Grimm-y place, but I'm ready to see a Grimm take a more progressive approach. It's one of the reasons, as I mentioned in another post, that I'm ready for Nick to meet another (non-Mom) Grimm. I think it would be good for him to see how someone else does the same "job".
Flag
You're speaking like they'd keep the digital files in the trailer, away from the prying "eyes" of hackers, but then you speak like you want the trailer to go away because it's antiquated. Can't have it both ways! As soon as those digital files are within the Burkhardt home, you're pretty much asking for every evil Vesen to be on the lookout for it every time one of them follows Nick home. I also know that in TV-land it's possible to remotely access a laptop, whether it's on the network or not, so if they did upgrade and digitize everything, I'd be amazed if they never got hacked.

But look at a show like Charmed, which is very similar. They never organized or digitized their Book of Shadows, because it's sacred and couldn't fall into enemy hands. So, I would not be holding my breath for Nick to upgrade anytime soon. If it worked for three witches for eight seasons, I think a Grimm can handle it for five or so.

Also, the point of the trailer is that it's location and ability to be moved makes it hard to break into, not the trailer itself.
More +
Flag
Was it the worlds or the Book of Shadows itself that held the power? Could the sisters have harnessed that power if they'd simply read the words off of a computer screen? I ask because such things were never really made clear on the show.
Flag
(responding to your latest post, not this one)

I'm with @harpier on this one; from everything I've seen in the trailer, the biggest risk is that the stuff in the trailer would either be destroyed or taken away, not just found. Except for the key and the coins, of course. But the journals and other archived information is just that: information. It isn't really confidential or anything; the biggest risk that Nick takes in letting anybody else see it, is that they will then take it away from him, by stealing it or destroying it; it doesn't really matter - what matters is it's gone.

This does actually fit with what Marie said, if you look at it from the perspective of a paranoid Grimm. It must be kept a secret, because if anybody finds out about the trailer, then they will take it away or destroy it, and Nick needs the information in the trailer.
Flag
I also think Marie's warning would be much more applicable to the miscellaneous other stuff, key and coins prominent among them. Even that special huge gun they had to use to kill the ogre is valuable and probably rare. There's a lot in the trailer that would devastating or dangerous to lose, but yeah, not so much the information in the books.
Flag
You can't remotely hack anything that isn't set up for network use. And I don't know why Nick would be overly concerned about the dissemination of the material, since for the most part the wesen already know how to kill each other. Even then, it's just as easy or easier to access Nick's books, which are guarded by a simple Yale lock, than to hack even a fully networked computer. Besides, all the foot traffic to his trailer also jeopardizes the safety of all the truly unique items in his care. He's already had to give the key to Rosalee to protect because he doesn't have a safe place for it, since apparently just about everybody on two continents knows about his trailer now. Instead, Nick should be more concerned about the loss and accessibility of the material. If he loses—by theft or fire or accident—his sole source of Grimm information, he's entirely up the creek. There's nothing sacred about his books, and they're not inherently powerful. They're information. Also, in most of his cases, time is extremely important. Spending hours and hours poking around eye-scanning pages of handwritten journal entries in multiple languages is a waste of valuable time.
Flag
She probably really just meant the key but didn't have time or opportunity to be more specific.
Flag
Except that in the very first episode, Aunt Marie made it expressly clear that everything in the trailer had to be kept a secret and hidden and protected and if it fell into the wrong hands then the world would end?

Also, I said in TV Land it's possible to hack a non-networked laptop. If you don't believe me, just watch an episode of Leverage... or CSI... or Intelligence... or [insert techno babble show here]. They like to expand and move beyond what's actually possible.
Flag
Inventory the trailer and Pick up additional fighting styles. indeed it's silly how still after all this time he doesn't seem to be aware of trailer's potential and hasn't used any new fighting styles or learned them 1st.
Flag
i agree withbwhat you've said but i might also add that perhaps it should be a group effort inventoring the trailer and creating some kind of database. I am sure Rosalie would recognise a lot of the diffent potions and stuff. I think Juliet should start cataloging or something the journals. i also think that Renard could teach him some fighting styles and Munroe, Rosalie and Juliet can all teach him the languages they speak.
Flag
Only issue with Nick "professionalizing himself" is that it would pretty much make all the side characters we have grown to love like Monroe, Rosalee redundant. Not to mention Juliette who since her "obsessed" story arc last season has practically nothing to do besides writing e-mails to Nicks mum :) As for the fighting techniques I've always wondered why he just doesn't use his gun!
Flag
"As for the fighting techniques I've always wondered why he just doesn't use his gun!"

That's pretty much all he did in season 1.
Flag
I don't think so. Juliette has done a lot more than just write emails. She has proved really useful with her online research. And her way of thinking is useful, too!

Also, guns don't work much of the time on Wesen. How many times has Nick tried to use his gun, and had to fall back on using the weapons from the trailer or his Grimm skills?
Flag
Except I kind of think that professionalizing himself would give the supporting cast more interesting things to do, including providing them with the resources to act more independently of Nick, not just as ad hoc sidekicks. It would also provide them opportunities to develop their own theories and knowledge. Juliette, for instance, is still a vet, and could potentially be very helpful in understanding just how wesen physiology works or designing countermeasures against particular species.
Flag
(sorry for the double; just remembered something)

There are also all the times when he has to use force, but doesn't want to use lethal force. Like the time he was trying to interrogate the Verrat agents. And this past episode, when he needed to subdue Monroe's parents without killing them (and he knew perfectly well that they were Monroe's parents; Monroe made a point of calling his dad, "Dad," right in front of Nick before the fight started), and the time when Rosalee got the plague and came at him with scissors...
Flag
Well, in some cases, such as in the latest episode, a gun isn't always effective. :) Plus there are some cases where he can't carry, like in the Lowen episode, and in situations where he's required to come unarmed. And there are still other cases where he needs a backup fighting technique, because he's almost constantly getting disarmed. :)
Flag
All of the above!
Flag
1. Didn't he do that already. Is that not how he found the key? I agree he needs to make a better system and organize it up a bit. Have a Wesen system, this stuff is good to kill so and so, this stuff for those types etc. But what I think he really needs to do is move the trailer, way too many people and now Wesen know where the trailer is. This coincides with a database system, he needs a copy in case of something happening to it.

2. I think we are going to eventually see this. This may coincide with the return of his mother. He needs to not only improve his skill set but he needs to figure out his Zombie Grimm powers in order to turn it on and off at will. The three guys he dealt with in the last episode should have brought that out. But training is going to be a necessity particularly whenever they head to Europe.

3. Agreed. I am not saying that he needs a database, but at least the Dewey Decimal System. And maybe a database. Eventually they are going to have to make the jump to the 21st century. I am sure that you can scan them or something.

4. German isn't that difficult of a language to learn, neither is Latin for that matter and Spanish is crazy easy. Though, if they did that it would lessen the convenient need for Juliette. But at some point and time someone is going to have to sit him down, or he is going to come across a situation where he isn't going to have the group and he is going to have to rely upon himself. I kind of find it interesting that since the zombie powers, he conceivably is the most powerful Grimm there has been and yet he still needs the group to help him with the heavy lifting so to speak.
More+
Flag
1. Aunt Marie gave him the key after the first Reaper attack in the pilot. He later hides it in the trailer, but he doesn't discover it there.
Flag
I think learning some extra fighting styles couldn't hurt it would very useful in the future when he comes across something that isn't in the books.

And yes a quick inventory of the trailer is just smart.

If were nick I would digitise his books like Gerad did in Teen Wolf the beasteary was on a USB and he was still old school like cut off heads with a sword old school, so Nick needs to cash in his sick days get the Scooby gang together and get started on making it easier for him to find the Wessen of e week.
Flag
Yeah, except Gerard's bestiary isn't really any different than Nick's library. I suppose if you have some font scanning software it might be possible to "find" specific words, though early print letter shapes make this difficult for modern software, and even then you still have to browse. You're just doing it on a pdf instead of a hardcopy. (I suppose it is safer to have multiple copies of the library, in case something happens to the physical books.)

@Katerine_M has the right idea, and the one I was trying to hint at in my post. They need a searchable database. Badly.

I also have other unrelated problems with Gerard's bestiary. Nitpicking problems, but *shrug* they are what they are:

(1) Why would a bestiary, a genre with didn't exist in anything like the form described until the 2nd-century (at the earliest) Greek Physiologus from Alexandria, be written in Archaic Latin, a language traditionally dated to around the early 1st-century BC?

(2) Several of the images of the bestiary are almost certainly digital scans of an early print text. Should such a book exist, why would it be selected to be printed in the 15th or 16th centuries for a reading public far more familiar with Classical Latin, especially since most of the significant distinguishing features are easy to update and the others are merely orthographic?

(3) The print-out for the kanima looks more like an illuminated manuscript, with abbreviation and script styles more characteristic of 12th century continental Europe rather than the pre-imperial Mediterranean.

(4) In the few screen-shots Teen Wolf has provided us, the Latin is Classical, not Archaic. What?!
More +
Flag
Add his own info! Just like the charmed ones updated the Book of Shadows.
Flag
If memory serves I think he has started to do that, like the episode with the child demon thing he added the new way of curing it not killing it.
Flag
"1. Take an actual inventory of Aunt Marie's trailer."
I think he already has. :) Nowadays, the browsing isn't so much, "what do we have here?" as it is, "what do I want to use?" For example, in this latest episode, Monroe browsed the wardrobe, thinking about each option, but when Nick decided they wanted knives, he knew exactly where to find them.

"2. Develop your combat styles."
Oh yes! Please! :) Nick, whatever happened to the jiu jutsu moves you used on the fly Wesen that blinded you? You used those moves once, and they were awesome, and then you never used them again. Do you need to be blind in order to use those moves, or something?

"3. Improve the research system."
Yes! Yes yes yes yes yes yes! Speaking as somebody who designs databases for a living, I cringe when I consider all of the downsides to relying on those books. Off the top of my head:

1. What if the trailer goes up in flames? Where's his backup copy?

2. As you hinted, it must take hours to find a single Wesen that they're looking for. What they really need, is a searchable database. They should be able to:
  • filter by rough Wesen appearance (primate, mammalian, reptilian, bird, etc.) and then scan the images, click on an image, and read every single entry that was written about that Wesen type, including the entries where that Wesen type was incidentally mentioned.
  • When searching for a Wesen criminal, where they only know the MO, they should be able to search by that MO (i.e. "scalping" or "jugular" or "mauling"). Also, victimology (little girls targeted, babies targeted, etc.). And estimated physical strength. And anything else that might be useful. In general, each Wesen entry should be broken down and tagged by whatever terms will be useful to a Grimm trying to find out what type of Wesen he's dealing with.
  • For historical purposes, it would also be good to be able to tag by historical events, timeline, the location of the entry, and the Grimm who made and signed the entry.
I don't think there are any Grimm interns. :) However, I do think it's fairly likely that there are some Wesen in this world, possibly associated with the Resistance, who are scholars of Wesen and Grimm histories, who would LOVE to make a simple deal with Nick - "you loan us your books, supervised of course, and we will do all the work. At the end, you keep the books, and you get a copy of the database, and all we want is a copy of the database for study purposes." :)

"4. For God's sake, learn German and Latin."
Hmm... I'm a little torn on this. On the one hand, you definitely have a point. On the other hand, learning German (apparently the dominant language of the books) is not exactly easy. It's kind of a full-time job in itself, so unless Nick gets transferred to a Germany where nobody speaks English, he's unlikely to learn it well enough for it to be actually useful to him.
More+
Flag
Love this post! :) Yay for Information Systems and database design!!
Flag
As a Librarian/Archivist - for God's sake inventory those documents! And scan them (and OCR then entries) into something that can be used as a backup (database, CD, something...) in case the bad Wessen (and you know there are some) finally figure out where the frigging trailer is and torch it!
When that is done then tag the hell out of all the entries so that you don't have to dig through every record, every dusty manual, every "about to fall apart" document to find the information you need.
Flag
I've always wanted for Nick to write his own entries. It would be nice to have some DVRs, digital pictures and flash drives to add to his legacy.
Flag
I seem to recall him beginning to write an entry once. Don't recall the episode, though.

Flag
I like that. Someone needs to embrace newer media.

I've also been hankering for a while for another Grimm to show up. You know, not Nick's mom. (Now that the world is ending thanks to Adalind's crazy royal baby, shouldn't all the Grimms be on high alert?) I actually think another Grimm could provide a very promising opportunity to upgrade the library (via borrowed flash drive) without Burkhardt & Co. having to manually enter and scan the entire trailer collection. Besides, trailer hitch aside, a traveling Grimm would be more inclined to a more easily mobile reference system...like a computer!
Flag
I think they did that already. Nick might have killed him because he wasn't down with letting the good wesen get away.
Flag
I think you may be referring to Ryan Smulson, the Lebensauger who (wrongfully) believed himself to be an Endezeichen Grimm.
Flag
Inventorying the trailer and digitizing the archives should take priority. Once that's done Nick would have little reason to learn another language--Google translate or something similar would probably suffice for a lot of what is written in the records.
Flag
I could see a plotline in which an erroneous Google Translate translation lands Nick in hot water without the proper paddle, to mix my idioms shamelessly.
Flag
Plus if he ever goes to Europe he should speak it.
Flag
Thanks for stating a thought that had bounced around in my brain pan. Make it a hilarious-high-jinks-ensues episode with Monrosalee bailing out team Nickette in setting straight what the real translation should have been. Could be a lot of fun if done just right.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:30 pm
    Judge Judy
    NEW
    CBS
  • 9:00 pm
    What Would You Do?
    NEW
    ABC
  • 10:00 pm