A Grimm Community
Friday 8:00 PM on NBC (Returning Fall 2016)

Grimm S03E07 & S03E08: "Cold Blooded" & "Twelve Days of Krampus"

Okay, so if we're being honest here, the first half of Grimm's super-sweet two-hour mid-season finale was kind of basic and maybe even a little bit boring BUT we learned two very important things:

1. Nick totally has this badass arm-sword thingy that was just laying around the Bookmobile of Crazy because he didn't know what he was supposed to do use it for until he encountered Gelumcaedus.

2. The new prince is a total skeeve. 

Maybe it was the fact that most of the hype for Grimm's two-hour seasonal send-off focused so heavily on Krampus Claus that left me so underwhelmed with the first half of the finale, but whatever, because Krampus Claus delivered, and it's not that "Cold Blooded" was bad, just that it wasn't anything special. 

"Twelve Days of Krampus" gave us the sort of excitement and teasing we expect from a from a long (or in Grimm's case, not really all that long) break. it also featured just a pinch of emotional compromise, which seems to be Grimm's thing this season. Also Zombie Superpowers Nick. And Demented Christmas Elf Monroe. And Dashing Leader of the Resistance Renard. 

It was actually rather nice to see the Vienna storyline serve a higher purpose, for once, than simply reminding us that Adalind is still alive. The new prince, Viktor, played by Alexis Denisof of Angel fame, is all about tracking down those responsible for Eric's death. He's also all about skeeving on preggo Adalind while she admires the probably-mark-of-the-beast-or-something on her tummy. Definitely nothing creepy about this situation at all. 

Meanwhile, Renard got his gang of rebel Wesen together and talked revolution and it was all very romantic the way Les Mis is romantic before everyone gets slaughtered.  SO EXCITED CAN'T WAIT. 

By the end of "Twelve Days of Kramus," Krampus Claus may not have been the Bad Santa we necessarily wanted, but he was the one Grimm needed in order to continue its clash of the Wesen and human worlds that's come to increasingly eat up the narrative in a good way. For the second week in a row, some unwitting person wreaked havoc on weird ol' Portlandia without realizing it, but unlike last week, there was no cure for Krampus's plight. Dude wasn't sick, he was just a Wesen—a very special Wesen that only woges during a few very specific weeks each year, leaving no memory behind for the human half to make sense of later. Arresting Krampus for his festive murders was out of the question. Hank jumped on the "just kill him" bandwagon a little too quickly for my comfort, but eh, he had a point. Luckily for Krampus (or maybe not so luckily, depending on how you look at it), Nick and Hank's bickering took them past midnight, at which point, Krampus turned back into a pumpkin errrr reverted to his human form. Nick's decision to turn the now mostly human and totally mind-wiped Krampus over to the Wesen Council was probably the best call, but it's still by no means a neat and clean solution. Poor Krampus Claus, serving to remind us all that for every awesome Wesen, there's one that it would probably really suck to be. It's kind of like X-Men. For every Cyclops or Storm, there's a dude who mutated into a duck when he hit puberty.

When he wasn't tagging along with Hank and Nick, Monroe was reveling in his traditional Christmas Spectacular... until it hit a sore spot with Rosalie, who isn't such a huge fan of the holiday season due to bad memories of an aunt and uncle dying on Christmas Eve while on their way to Rosalie's house. OMG. The baggage. Monroe took down all the Santa-vomit because he's the best and most thoughtful boyfriend ever. Rosalie put it all back up because she's the best and most thoughtful girlfriend ever. I love them so mu-uh-uch. 

Juliette pretty much wasn't in these episodes. Also, Nick's zombie superpowers are pretty handy. "Cold Blooded" and "Twelve Days of Krampus" were pretty mellow, all things considered, for being finale-fodder, but they were fun. Well, "Twelve Days of Krampus" was fun. "Cold Blooded" was boring as hell. 

Do not fret, though! Grimm returns on January 3, which isn't very far away at all! Here's hoping we get to the bottom of Nick's zombie superpowers, and maybe Adalind and Renard will team up and be BAMFy "leaders of the rebellion" types (I have a lot of hope for Adalind, okay?), and of course, I want Rosalie and Monroe continue to be perfect. That's my Grimm holiday wishlist. What's on yours?

ALL ABOARD AUNT MARIE'S BOOKMOBILE OF CRAZY

– What's Nick's mom up to these days?

– Monroe's house is just one big firetrap at Christmas, isn't it?

– "Let the council handle it." Cop-out or good call?

– Thoughts on Prince Viktor?

– What did you think of "Cold Blooded" and "Twelve Days of Krampus?"

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/20/2016

Season 5 : Episode 22

206 Comments
Comments (206)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
get rid of the grimm girl, completely irrelevant. the show is great with nick as the grimm without a teenage girl being introduced.totally unnecessary.every show does not have to have a female acting masculine.the plot is great, leave it alone.
Flag
I think Renard sounded too pompous with the "I have a Grimm". Nick won't be happy.
I liked both episodes, specially the arm sword, and I am very interested in the zombie powers.
Flag
No more than when Tony Stark said 'We have a Hulk'.
Flag
That is different, because they were fighting an enemy of the Hulk, and "we" is not so bad as "I". Tony knew the Hulk was ready to attack his enemy. Renard is purposedly having secrets from the Grimm and there is no proof that Nick would be wanting to help the resistance at all.
Flag
Actually I kinda feel like Nick would want to help the Captain but he would have his own agenda: getting protection for his mom.
Flag
I'm ready for the Adalind story arc to be resolved. I get the reason for it but switching to her just takes the episode out of rhythm. Though, I admit that with the addition of Alexis Denisof, I could tolerate, at least, that one scene more.

Flag
I squeeled 'wesley windham pryce!' when i saw the new prince :0))
Flag
"Monroe took down all the Santa-vomit because he's the best and most thoughtful boyfriend ever. Rosalie put it all back up because she's the best and most thoughtful girlfriend ever. I love them so mu-uh-uch."
Awww, me too :-)

Nick's mum will probably show up in the Vienna plot.

Yes, it was a cop out giving him to the council, should have killed him when Hank said, or they should have shot him together, he does eat people, whether he knows it or not.
Flag
I think they should let him live his ordinary life, then lock him up for the time period he goes crazy at Christmas. Hopefully the Council will do the right thing...not that we'll ever know. Sometimes it sucks to be a wesen.
Flag
Well that's very nice of you :-) Maybe they have a Wesen prison somewhere they could stick him in while he's Krampus. Although, given what we know about the Council so far, they'll probably kill him anyway.

What if Krampus had eaten someone you know, would you still be as lenient?

It's a tough one really, the man has no knowledge or involvement in the murders, so should he still be punished........ if someone kills somebody but has no memory of it/amnesia, should they be charged, yes, do they get charged, yes, so the fact that he's Wesen and can't remember wouldn't actually change anything in the real world/legally, he'd still be charged. Maybe he could plea diminished responsibility and the jury, in this case a Wesen jury, might take the circumstances into account and just send him to Wesen jail for Christmas.

Wouldn't they need some kind of Wesen Bailors or Parole Officers to pick him up each year and take him to Wesen jail though? Or would you/they just trust him to surrender himself before he turns into Krampus?
Flag
Very well thought-out answers, ABCRobbieB and Katherine_M. I agree with both of you. Unfortunately, from what we know about the Council, they would probably kill him. That seems to be their answer for everything. And...if he ate my kid...I'd probably want him dead.
Flag
BTW, this isn't really like amnesia. A far better analogy is to dissociative identity disorder (better known as multiple-personality disorder). Even in real court, there would be a case for the insanity plea. Except in this case, the secondary personality only takes over the body at a specific time each year.
Flag
I would. Trust him to turn himself in, that is. It's pretty clear that, even without knowing what he did as Krampus (or, more accurately, what Krampus did while it was in charge of the guy's body), the entire experience is a nightmare for the poor guy.

If it's explained (and proven) to him that during the Krampus episodes, Krampus takes over his body and eats children, I'd say he'd definitely turn himself in at the end of each November. Even discounting altruism... he'd still do it, for selfish reasons - so when he wakes up, he knows where he is, and knows that Krampus didn't kill anybody. Turning himself in at the end of each November is his best option. Far, far better than not turning himself in. Even without any outside consequences - the natural consequences of not imprisoning himself somehow are bad enough!

The good thing is, it's at least predictable. It's not like he turns into Krampus at random times during the year. So he can plan around it. At the end of each November, turn yourself in.
Flag
man!! Krampus was freaky wouldn't want to be on his list
Flag
Sorry to keep posting more stuff, but I keep thinking of more questions. :)

So... photographer-guy doesn't remember getting to Portland.

I don't think Krampus can drive (weird mental image...). I know he can't fly.

According to Google maps, Salt Lake City is 766 miles from Portland, if you travel on I-86, which is actually pretty-much a straight line... or at least, it's as close as you can get to a straight line when you consider that it's through the mountains.

So here's the question... why? From an in-universe perspective, of course. :)

The only explanation I can think of, is that Krampus was drawn there. Interesting. :)

It's not because kids are naughtiest in Portland. Kids are pretty-much universal.

It's not because of the landscape. Boise and Denver are both a lot closer to SLC than Portland is, and they also feature mountains with trees. And SLC itself might just have a few mountains with trees available as well.

So... why was Krampus drawn to Portland? Hmm. What's special about Portland? :D

But why this year? Why not last year, or the year before? Did the metaphorical light that drew him shine more brightly this year?
More+
Flag
Well, the obvious answer is 'this year' the writers thought of adding this character to the cannon. But, the in narrartive answer cpuld be, he was in different states the last few years....

Also, I think the guy drove himself, but didn't remeber doing so.
Flag
it was all very romantic the way Les Mis is romantic before everyone gets slaughtered

Best. Line. Ever.
Flag
I didn't mind "Cold Blooded" if for no other reason than it gave us a little extra Reggie Lee, which is never a bad thing. Also a further reminder that with or without zombie powers, Nick has a wallet like Jules that reads, "Bad Muther F*cker". "I have great respect for Decapitare. My grandfather, he used to scare us as children about your kind. You don't look so scary any more.". Even if you're a super strong old school Wesen who can dismember people with their bare hands...don't talk trash.

"Twelve Days of Krampus" was solid all around and loved the European plotting. And of course Viktor is played by Alexis Denisof, cause he's got the character market cornered on playing a world class douche. As soon as he pops up I thought to myself, "Oh great, Giles is back. Who else would be the slimy cousin to take over for the slimy brother?"
Flag
Somehow i expected more from Krampus...i thought Cold blooded was cooler to watch...To be honest did didn't feel like a midseason finale...it felt like a regular episode..
Flag
know why this guy was awesome? because it was full on makeup and not the same horrible cgi they always do
Flag
Really? I mean sounds plausible if you consider that he was "showing" the whole time and only reverted back to human at the end. That though was CGI certainly.

Did they say that somewhere that this was full on makeup?
Flag
Okay, did we just get totally jipped seeing the Council's reaction to Nick actually turning to them for help or will this be a storyline that carries over in the New Year? If yes, we're being jipped, I am highly disappointed. I really wanted to know a) what the Council will do with the poor Wesen and b) how the Council will react to Nick turning to them finally and, for the first time, kinda adhering to their rules.

Also, I don't think you give Hank enough credit. He's come a long way (much longer way that Juliette) in accepting Nick's Grimm duties, so the fact that he was fine with murdering the Wesen is perfectly in line. I mean, you just saw an episode where Nick murdered two of those Alligator Wesen in front of Hank, and when the third one was like, "You killed my brothers!" Hank was like, "Sucks for you." I mean, he was just so nonchalant about Nick going all Grimm. Hell, he even seemed impressed!

So, no, I don't find it out of character for Hank to talk about stepping up.
Flag
Agree on the Hank point, I find the show is even better now Hank's aware of what's going on and helping out.
Flag
Am I the only one that couldn't stop thinking of this the entire episode?

Flag
Ok call on the Council - it's not Nick's job to execute people in cold blood when there MAY be a better way of handling things. I'm thinking chain the guy up at the end of November, let him go on the 22., problem solved.
Or the Council may just execute him - they like that sort of thing, don't they?

BTW, I too have great hopes for Adalind. She's wonderfully self-serving and practical, but there's a deeper side to her and I'm thinking they're going to go the "motherhood gives you a conscience"-route of so many other stories (see: Angel etc.) and have her develop at least a modicum of love for her baby.
She may ally herself with the rebellion in return for keeping her child despite the deal she's made, or the new prince may try to lay claim to his "relative" and force her to take action against him - there are lots of ways to make her team up with Renard without making her all soft and fluffy; she can still be the cold-hearted bitch we've all grown to know and love. :D
Flag
That Santa Claws episode was utterly ridiculous and I loved every moment of it. Bonus points for Victor being such a creeper: "It rubs the hexenbiest goo on its skin, or it gets the hose."
Flag
Last night's Grimm:

Last night's Haven:

No, they're not the same actor. Twins separated at birth?
Flag
Cold Blooded wasn't bad, it was a normal episode that paled in comparison to the mid-season finale. In fact we saw something pretty spectacular in "Krampus" that I can't believed you missed. Didn't you see Nick go into "dead-mode" while Krampus was strangling him? He came out of it with a burst of super-strength that enabled him to subdue the elite wesen with a single punch! I don't think that is normal Grimm power, this is something left over from the zombie master's spit. This has real promise.

BTW, I would have preferred a different ending to the one provided us. Instead of Monroe finding Rosalee on the couch asleep after redecorating (which I know was to tie in with her finding him asleep after undecorating), it should have ended with all the decorations up and Hank, Nick, Juliette, Monroe and Rosalee should have been standing around the Christmas tree for a group photo, all holding beer and cigars. That's a tradition I could get on board with!

As for handing over Krampus to the Council, it shows Nick is a team player and not off the reservation. I'm going with it being a good call.
More+
Flag
Duh!
Flag
I did notice Nick going into dead-mode, and that 'I'm going to cut you, b***h!' look on his face made my heart go all pitty-pat.
Flag
This would be a great tradition
Flag
"In fact we saw something pretty spectacular in "Krampus" that I can't believed you missed. Didn't you see Nick go into "dead-mode" while Krampus was strangling him? He came out of it with a burst of super-strength that enabled him to subdue the elite wesen with a single punch!"

It's mentioned both in the review and in the comments below. See the paragraph below the picture of Nick and Hank wearing hard hats, and the second earliest comment on this page.
Flag
Another question...

So... the fact that Renard's mother is a Hexenbiest gives him an insight into Wesen that the other members of the resistance... don't have? So... they're not Wesen? I thought the resistance was made up of Wesen. Are they Kehrseite? I'm pretty sure they're not royals. And they're not Grimms. Is there a 5th group of sentient beings in this world?
Flag
Yeh his speech was worded a little odd unless the resistance is made up of low level royals (or council members) who sneer at HexenBeasts as well. Which sounds possible

unless the point he was trying to make was him being ONLY part HexenBeast and the rest as Royal gives him perspective over what a commoner might know
Flag
yeah the christmas stuff was WAY too much, i was scared silly
and yeah Alexis Denisof gotta love him, he's married to willow after all, lucky prick lol, and spying on Adalind half nakeid, i mean who wouldn't? she's hot for a thin chick
Flag
What i want to know, is how Nick will react to being had by Renard, which the other claimed to the opposition council in Austria. I don't think he will take it kindly, even after the failed kidnapping episode. Also, if there is the war ahead as all indicates, then Nick will have to meet sooner than later the rest of his Grimm family, and even if vouched by his mother, they would not see his "defection" to Renard's camp that well either.
As for the Krampus character, it was inevitable that they come up with something for the Christmas season. I myself have always been against this trend as it has almost always given to very poor scripting in all shows, except for the variety specials. As far as that went, Krampus was fine; but it was also good they did not make him the focus of the episode.
Flag
You know, I only just realized that when you say, "What i want to know, is how Nick will react to being had by Renard," that you are probably referring to the fact that Renard thinks of himself as "having" a Grimm. :D (As opposed to, "What I want to know, is how Nick will react to Renard conning him," which is what I initially thought you meant, because that's what, "had by" usually means).

In which case, I want to know the same thing. That should be a fun reaction. "Renard, you told us you have a Grimm! Why isn't he obeying you?" "Have a Grimm? Wow. That almost makes me sound like... property." *glare*
Flag
I agree with your comment re episodes with a "seasonal" theme. It can make for some very poor stories indeed. Also, there are plenty of people who do not do Christmas (or at least not like that).
Flag
I had to laugh really hard at all the christmas decoration. That gives you eye-cancer. But I am able to tolerate it on tv for one episode :)
Flag
What do you mean 'had' by Renard? I'm slightly worried...
Flag
Hahahahaha. I was simply referrring to the phrase Renard used himself by saying :"I am the only one who has a Grimm" and it sounded very conceited to make that claim.
Flag
Two questions:
- How was Nick "had" by Renard?
- Why do you think that there are any other Grimms? Everything in this show up until now indicates that Nick and his mother are the only Grimms left (which means if Nick doesn't have any children, the Grimm line dies with him).
Flag
I disagree. I think there are other Grimms. Perhaps distant cousins or such.
Flag
I think Renard meant he 'had a Grimm allied with him'.
Flag
yep, that's about the size of it. :)
Flag
From what I got from the series is that most Grimms are working for the Royals and Nick & mom are the only ones, we know of, that don't. Although his aunt who bequeathed him her trailer seemed to think he was the end of the line. My own appreciation is the reaction Wesens have when they recognize him as a Grimm: it's more in line "Ha, this is a Grimm", than "What, Grimms still exist?"
As for "had" again I am using the word Renard uses. I think he considers Nick as his private property, in the same way that Royals have their Grimm, he has his own.
From the beginning of the series, Renard has had a manipulative relationship towards Nick, especially when he discusses him with his Viennese assistant, if you noticed.
Flag
I sort of had the opposite reaction as well. I really liked "Cold Blooded," while "Krampus" left me feeling kind of meh. I think a big part of this is just that my expectations for "Krampus" were much higher, because I remember the awesomeness of last year's mid-season finale.

If anything, the best part of "Krampus" was the part at the end, where they turned it over to the Wesen council. Because this is a bit of a milestone - the first time Nick ever turned to the Wesen council for anything. Wonder what the council will make of it. Otherwise, this just seemed like a standalone episode.

"Cold Blooded" also seemed like a standalone, but it did contain the only thing that I keep coming back to after seeing it - Nick deciding that he likes the moniker, "dicapitare." It almost seems like Nick may be going dark side. Which I don't really want to see (unless it's temporary, of course), but mainly because it's coming a bit out of nowhere. Unless...

A while ago (I think it was back in S1), Renard said something interesting. He said that a Grimm on his own is bad for everyone. And Renard is gone right now.
More+
Flag
Also, I was totally bummed when they didn't show us what happened when they handed the Krampus over, or at least how the Council reacts to the whole thing.
Flag
I had the exact opposite reaction. I thought "Krampus" was a big waste of time and "Cold Blooded" had more interesting plot points. Sure "Krampus" maybe had more, but for a show that is focusing on the procedural while sprinkling small amounts of plot until the end,you're kind of left with picking and choosing what you like and the introduction of Alexis Denisof has awesome season finale implications...
Flag
I really liked the finale episodes Cold Blooded and Twelve Days of Krumpus. I completely understand them handing over the Krumpus over to the council because lets face it if he doesn't realize is wesen what are you going to do. Also the zombie superpowers Nick has maybe a side effect of what Barron Sumbdi did to him at the end of Season 2.
Flag
"Nick totally has this badass arm-sword thingy that was just laying around the Bookmobile of Crazy because he didn't know what he was supposed to use it for until he encountered Gelumcaedus." Fixed that for ya.

Also, since he didn't know what to use it for, he's OBVIOUSLY never played the Assassin's Creed games.
Flag
Am I the only one worried about Nick becoming more and more comfortable with his role as a Wesen hunter? I mean, his world view used to be so black-and-white, but now, he and Hank are only too happy to put down a Wesen or to turn it over to the Council to deal with (who will probably kill Krampus anyway).
Flag
Although... I was actually completely ok with him turning Krampus over to the Wesen council. It's not like they had a better solution. And who knows... maybe the council knows of a way to educate the guy or keep him from going mad during the winter solstice, or at the very least, have a policy of locking him away during that time (kind of like Oz was locked away during the full moon nights on Buffy).
Flag
I think, the council just kills Grimms and Wezen who are presented to them for inspection.At least that was the case so far.
Flag
Nope, you were definitely not the only one. :) I'm ok with him being more "comfortable," but "Dicapitari... I like the sound of that..." sounds like foreshadowing of Nick going Dark Side to me.
Flag
I don't think he's going dark side, just becoming more bad-ass. A Grimm is supposed to be comfortable killing things and its time for Nick to grow into the role/calling.
Flag
Oh, I disagree. What sets Nick apart from other Grimms throughout history is that 1) he's interested in getting the whole story, not just assuming the worst about people, and 2) his principles state that people should be held accountable for their choices, not for circumstances of their birth.

This, far more than his extra powers, is what will make Nick a force for change in this world. For the first time, there is a Grimm that inspires the Wesen around him, instead of scaring them. That's powerful.

But a person with such principles should not be pleased at a moniker that he's been told means, "he who decapitates." He shouldn't be happy to join the ranks of ancestors who, historically, chopped heads first and asked questions later... or never... and who considered Wesen to be beneath other people.

That's why I think this may be foreshadowing a "Dark Side" period for Nick. Which I'm really not looking forward to, and I hope it doesn't last long... just long enough to make his redemption emotionally resonant, but not long enough for viewers to forget that Nick is a good guy. 5 or 6 episodes seems about right. :) But we do need a cause, because right now, it seems a little out of the blue. Here are my theories:
  • That Pflichtreue, Alexander no-last-name, the cat-assassin-guy from the Grausen episode, was told to "monitor the Grimm." He's a stealthy guy, able to spy on people without being detected... according to the wiki, that's his biggest strength. Maybe he's been spying on Nick and his friends ever since, and Nick's nerves are being subconsciously jangled.
  • At the moment, nobody is holding Nick accountable for anything. Renard's gone, and Captain Harding, Renard's replacement, whoever he is, apparently never visits the precinct. Hank has been encouraging Nick to go out and kill Wesen, even unconscious ones, Monroe and Rosalee aren't discouraging him, and Juliette is still so awed by the whole Grimm history and concerned with being accepting, that she's being a little too accepting. Maybe Grimms just need accountability, or their "kill all Wesen!" instincts take the forefront.
More +
Flag
Great points, and obviously well thought out, but just because Nick becomes a bit more... menacing, doesn't mean he has to lose his good-guy status. Some wesen deserve to die, and one that kidnaps and eats children is deserving in my book. Humans have a court and jury of their peers to decide if death is the appropriate penalty, but in the wesen world it the Grimms role, or perhaps the wesen councils from time to time. I would appreciate a Nick that isn't so kind he can't do his job. Good wesen may be inspired by Nick's worldview, but evil wesen need to fear him.
Flag
Just to quickly clarify, when I say, "This, far more than his extra powers, is what will make Nick a force for change in this world," I don't mean to downplay the extra powers. They're great. :) Especially now that they're consistent. (Yay! Consistency! Keep it up, writers! But please... show the flip side sometime. If Nick's metabolism is half that of a normal person's, that means that anything that goes into his system - food, drugs, etc. - will take twice as long for his system to burn through it.)

Anyway, I just meant... his extra powers are not what's going to effect lasting change on the world. The fact that he inspires genuine loyalty from the good Wesen that he meets, rather than fear, and the fact that he's not willing to sell his killing services to a royal family... that's what's going to change the world.
Flag
Great comment. I agree, it is becoming too easy; but then this was expected from his bloodline. Another thing is that he is still maintaining the line between the good Wesen and the bad Wesen. What is more worrisome is that Hank has taken to this so easily, whereas he is neither from the culture or the creed. I can see Hank going overboard eventiually and killing a good Wesen by mistake.
Flag
Well but isn't that usually the case? The convert becomes more radical than the one born into it?
If someone is driving Nick "dark-side" it is Hank. And M+R+J will pull him back. (at least that would be my prediction)
Flag
I was wondering about that last night, when he was putting away the bladed vambrace and mentioned to himself "Decapitari...I like the sound of that."
Flag
Charlie Hunnam gets my vote for best actor.He moves me with his great acting and I'm looking forward to seeing a lot more of him in the future.
Flag
And so the Wesen universe expands. After the Hispanic El Cucuy we now dip deep into pre-Christian Germanic folklore. OK, the whole Grimm thing has ties to Central European folk tales, but most Wesen have been separate from the Grimm Brothers' tales.
This show fudged the difference between Krampus and Santa Claus: Krampus is NOT Santa Claus. Completely different character, entirely different mythology altogether, too long and complicated to explain here. It would have been better to have Krampus dressed in goat's furs.
Adalind's probably-mark-of-the-beast-or-something on her tummy is definitely creepy ;-) !! But she's all gooey who's-your-mummy about it! Even witches love their Rosemarie's baby, it seems.
- Monroe's decorations: how kitschy can you get! Man, those were atrocious. I felt with Rosalee, if only because of the bad taste. I can dig the beer and cigar, though.
- I don't know, did Rosalee change the colour of her hair or something?
- Longyearbyen is not at the "northernmost tip of the arctic", but rather halfway between Norway and the North Pole, on Svalbard, aka Spitsbergen. You can reach those islands by boat (it was cold when I visited). And yes, the Russians used to dig for coal there.
- "Decapitare" looks like a Latin verb in the infinitive (to decapitate), not a noun meaning "Grimm".
- "Gefrieren Geber" is not a German word. Literally: Gefrieren = to freeze; Geber = giver.
- "Es ist verspätet worden" and "Ein Trial" is not German, either.
More+
Flag
Yeah, the german this time really sucked. Their usual language consultant must have had the week off or something. Sounded and looked like "google-translate"

decapitare is a latin word (had to look that up) thats why it means the same thing in german (dekapitieren) and english (decapitate). The latin word seems to be the etymological root.
Since the "gefrieren geber" makes little sense in german is suspect the language consultant wasn't consulted on that either :)
Flag
I'll take your word for most of it, but regarding, "Ein Trial..." I don't think that's what they said. :) I think they actually switched to English there, and said, "a trial" or "the trial." Makes sense since Renard answered in English.
Flag
Actually, I believe someone (maybe Monroe) said Krampus was Claus's evil half, or something along those lines, indicating they're different creatures. Though I knew it before-hand from other literature, so I just assumed it, so I may have heard it wrong. And I already deleted it from my DVR, so I can't check (I really don't feel like watching it online and dealing with the annoying-as-hell commercials...)
Flag
Krampus is a different character. But Krampus is connected to the Yuletide season. Since it's of Germanic origin, it actually fits in quite well with the Grimm lore. The only significant difference is the Santa outfit.
Flag
Exactly right. Though I had to look it up myself here is the link on wikipedia. Funny that they even took the same look.
Flag
That's what I meant by "evil half". Santa Claus gives gifts to the good little boys and girls, Krampus punishes the naughty ones.
Flag
Oh, and apart from beeing the evil half - apparently the word in old german means "claw" - which his hands defenitly were, and why they made those scratches on the kids face.
Flag
I actually enjoyed both episodes. Grimm knows what it is, and keeps to it because it works. It's part procedural, part mythical, and the way Grimm does it works for me. So while the first episode was clearly a standalone, I still liked it because Grimm mythology is so interesting to me.

The second episode was even better. First of all, good seeing that plumber wesen friend of Nick's (can't remember his name lol!!). Very funny guy!! Second, the Monroe Christmas special!!! My goodness, that whole room was something to behold!! I'd love to just walk around in there for 10 minutes. Third, Juliette doesn't have to be super-helpful for me to notice her. Unlike you, I just appreciate the character period, and enjoy the fact that Nick's "other" side is no longer a secret or burden for her. It clearly showed in both episodes.

Also, Rosalee redecorating the room despite her aversion to Christmas, which was very understandable was priceless!!! Loved the cigar and beer for Santa too lol!!
Flag
Also cool for Alexis Denisof as the Prince. Good choice!! Renard's part is shaping up to be something great. This resistance, while small numbers, make up for it in conviction that what they're doing is very necessary.

Oh, as much as I somewhat despise the Wesen council, Nick made the right call to me.
Flag
Well this was most definitely a seasonal episode, kind of like Bad Santa only worse. The mythology behind the Krampus was somewhat accurate and he is not a Wessen. But he is bad, especially if you are a naughty little boy or girl. But in the end Nick and gang figure this creature out and take care of him although leaving his ultimate fate up to the Wessen council. On the side we had an interesting story involving Rosalee, Monroe, and Christmas which turned out nicely. And there is also the continuing story of Adalind and Renard which is part of the big story arc and interesting in its' own right. Now it's time for a winter break.
Flag
I love that Alexis Denisof is playing Prince Victor. He is an wonderful actor and will make a great addition to the set of Grimm.
Flag
Not sure how much he's going to be in it, as the Vienna scenes up until the last few episodes haven't been that much, but lovely to see him! Also, that means, I think, that he was in Portland and I didn't see him, so hopefully he comes back to film more! Mr. Denisof, come get a a cigar in S.E. Portland! Mr. Roiz knows a great place! :)
Flag
Great couple of episodes. Krampus was genius. Absolutely fantastic christmas episode that played well on legend and myth.

Nick's mom is interesting, I keep thinking we are going to see her in Vienna.

Monroe is hilarious. But yes that is a huge firetrap.

He looks like he is the only one that knows what is going on over there in Vienna.

Flag
I'm sticking with the Vienna/Royals story for an anticipated payoff in the spring. My one true problem with the story is that loyalties are weak, and I'm unsure of who Renard should be trusting. With that in mind though, I'm thinking he will eventually bring in team Nick once he realizes he can't trust anyone in the Rebellion/Revolution.

Letting the council handle Krampus seemed like the best and only option. They'll likely have the resources to keep an eye on him during the year and will lock him up for the 3 weeks before Winter solstice. Nick and the gang don't have the time or resources to handle that.
Flag
I will post this once more, Nick does not have Zombie superpowers and what is happening is natural to the character, according to the exec. producer!
"Let the council handle it." was a good call and shows that Nick is willing to work with the Wesen. It also gains some goodwill with the Council, both for himself and possibly Renard, since he is in Europe claiming Nick is his Grimm and he "brings him to the table". I believe that that is a little presumptuous of Renard unless Royals have some power over Grimms. Guesses whether this is right or not ,people?
I still have hopes that we will see more of the power structure of Wesen culture and how they avoid the human authorities and detection this season.
I believe that the birth of Adalind's child(children?) will give us more insight into the power of the Royal's. That jelly she rubs in is really kinda creepy, even with the fact that the actress that plays Adalind in lingerie is a distraction. And now I sound as creepy as the Prince obviously is.
As far as Nick's Mom goes, there has been no mention besides the e-mail. I am hoping for a big, explain alot of things with some good action European finale this season.
More+
Flag
Re: "I will post this once more, Nick does not have Zombie superpowers and what is happening is natural to the character, according to the exec. producer!"

Canon is what is in the show. If it's not established in the show, it's open for speculation. :)
Flag
I suppose, but since the exec. producer has the final say on a show, I would tend to trust what he says.
Flag
stevei "I believe that that is a little presumptuous of Renard unless Royals have some power over Grimms."

I think the point here is that the Royals don't have any power over the Grimms - and only the most tenuous working relationship - which makes Renard's connection to Nick unique, and potentially revolutionary. Prior to Nick, the notion that wesen and Grimm could co-exist, much less become friends, was unthinkable. An alliance could tip the balance of power.

Flag
Right, what I am saying is that Renard has no power over Nick, so how can he deliver him if he doesn't want to do what Renard wants?
Flag
You're right about the so-called zombie powers -- most of these have been developing slowly over time. One exception, which isn't really a power but a physiological oddity, is the reduced metabolism which made him look dead on occasion. I'm not sure that subject has played itself out yet.
Flag
The way I've understood the increased Grimm abilities Nick's been showing since his brush with zombie-hood is that they are more of a reaction to the stress his body went through while fighting the poison. His body's response to the poison was to ramp up his natural Grimm abilities to overcome their effects. Even though he was cured by the serum, his body is still in that ramped-up mode, and that's what we are seeing.
Flag
I posted an article/interview with the exec producer where he flat out stated they were a deepening of the character and not related to the "ZOMBIE" powers that everyone on this site seems so hyped about.
Flag
I suppose Renard's assuming Nick will be sympathetic to the resistance given his history and the unpalatable alternative. He was warned that a war was coming by a resistance member in season one, and he's clearly not enamoured of the veratt, the Royals' private Gestapo.
Flag
I thought we learned in a previous season that the Grimms once served at the Royals discretion until they learned the royals were using wesen as soldiers. That's when they went independent but still kept ties to the royal families. I wish I could remember which episode. Does anyone else remember that?
Flag
It was the episode in which they were talking about the key and the Grimms were essentially Crusaders(Templars) and they hid something that changed the balance of power. This was towards the end of the first season, I believe, and before Nicks Mom showed up. Does anybody remember the exact episode?
Flag
I think that may have been in the second season. In "Cat & Mouse", S01E18, Nick first learned about the Grimm/Royals connection but not in any detail. That was his first contact with the Veratt and when he discovered the Nazi connection. Unfortunately, I lost Season 2 in a hard drive crash. Anyone else?
Flag
I was disappointed with the first part but the second one was much better.I was glad to see Bud again and evil Santa was actually pretty decent villain.And I will never get tired of Monroe and Rosalee.
Flag
Random thoughts:

I'd love to spend Christmas with Monroe, just for the fun of it. Except that it would mean having a vegetarian supper... Well, I have to think about it.

But just imagine, a perfect Christmas display in a house in a forest. It's the back of a forest, right? I mean, Monroe could charge tickets from the families in the neighborhood to visit his home. I've seem Christmas parks in worse condition than that. And I wanna play with that train! (I had an electric train when I was a kid.)

Nick's ancient weapon against the cold-blooded Wesen was simple but effective, particularly as far as protecting against bites was concerned.

It's interesting Renard always spoke French in his phone calls, but when he got to Vienna, everybody decided to speak English for his sake, even though Renard must speak every language the Royals do.

Those "kids" had it coming. Nobody should steal other people presents on Christmas. Their lumps of coal were well deserving.

Monroe's Xmas display was a fire trap indeed! But I was surprised at how apparently simple it was to take down and put back all the decorations, and by one person only. The only side effect being, the person would feel an uncontrollable need to sleep after that.

In the beginning I thought someone close to Rosalie had been killed by Krampus Claus so her story would be connected with the episode's main story.

Alex Denisoff borrowed the Brit accent he used in Buffy and Angel. It's been a while since I've seen him speak like that. What other "Brit" could show up next? Spike? And make a Buffy reunion.

It's been a while since I've seen Monroe's green VW Beetle. I hope he hasn't sold it. Maybe it was stolen by Emma in Once Upon A Time.

Who's in charge of the precinct while Renard is away on family business?

Since Renard is part Hexenbiest, can't he do some spells only those witches can?

When is hank get a girl? And Woo, doesn't he have any personal life?

In the first episode, I laughed at the part they practically made it an official decision: "OK, now that we're down in the sewers, each goes his separate way and we leave the claustrophobic guy here to find something scary."

Does Portland really have such fairy-tale-like, lush forests nearby?

And to think that in the beginning, people referred to Grimm as "the other fairy-tale show." But this show couldn't be more different than Once Upon A Time.
More+
Flag
Regarding, "Does Portland really have such fairy-tale-like, lush forests nearby?"

Actually... yes. In fact, if somebody told me that they filmed the "Council Crest" part of the Krampus episode in Council Crest Park, I would totally believe them.
Flag
Grimm need to step up their game on the procedural storylines, because I am getting very bored with them. These cases are only really interesting for me when they create a conflict between Nick's dual identities of cop and Grimm. The Grousen episode came closest this season when Nick came into conflict with the Council over what to do with the boy. Even that episode didn't quite deliver because they cheated by stumbling on to a cure at the last minute.

The ending of Krumpus also felt like cheating, because all Nick really did was pass the buck to the Council, who are probably just going to kill the guy anyway. No one floated any other solutions like, fill Krampus in one what he'd been up to and arrange a yearly imprisonment around the holidays. I was really hoping when they recapped that awesome accusation by Renard that Nick is prejudiced against Wesen that we would have some real exploration of that possibility. Frankly Hank's justification of needing to kill Krumpus (he's Wesen, so obvs that's what we should do.) should have sent a red flag to Nick and Monroe, who was standing right there.

The mythology aspect of the show has always been my favorite part, but I'm not loving how slowly they are feeding it to us. How many episodes did we spend exactly with Adalind doing creepy, gross things to get her powers back? How many episodes did it take to get Renard to that meeting with the Wesen resistance leaders where nothing new was revealed (except I guess how handsome and badass the guy in charge is?).
More+
Flag
You know what makes me happiest...returning January 3rd! I was kind of suspecting when we left off the Vienna story before the little sit down but I'm very happy I don't have to wait until March.
Flag
I really liked both episodes, but especially the creepy Christmas one.
Flag
That wasn't a "two hour midseason finale". It was just two 45-minute episodes, one of which was a Christmas episode. I really don't like Christmas episodes, but it turned out to be the more interesting of the two. I liked how the Krampus did his own version of a Christmas tree, and how he had no idea what he'd been doing.

Didn't the Krampus recognize Nick as a Grimm? How does he even know the word "Grimm"? And where did he get the coal? Does he go on vacation in Svalbard once a year?

My food was ready when there was five minutes left of the first episode, so I shut it off and watched Nikita instead. I realized at the moment I hit the stop button that I wasn't at all interested in finding out how Nick would save Hank, so I didn't even watch the ending later. Unfortunately the show is seldom more interesting than this.
Flag
Christmas downers

Separated at birth?

Flag
-Loved this xmas episode. Gives me something to show my niece, haha.
-lol at that moment when nick and hank take down that vendor santa.
-the renard stuff felt out of place and could have done w/o glad they didn't spend too much time there though.
-at first was a little sad at rosalee not liking monroes xmas decorations, thought it was overwhelming it was good to see monroes face after she redone it.
-also seriously does Juliette have a job anymore? Does she go into her office anymore. She has as much time on her hands as monroe.
-a little surprised nicks hearing is better than monroes i mean when they show how far they were from the kids you'd think he'd would have picked up a little something but just have harder time locating the sound at least.
-so nick goes zombie and stores all his life force for a super punch? what was that. did he even notice, he showed no reaction after laying krampus out.
-next episode looks great. thoughts about juliettes fighting skills in the preview? i remember seeing her in the premiere thinking she had a few moves for a character with no atheletic interest that we know of and is assumed spent more time in labs for vet stuff than on the field/gym.
or is she just the first gf of a cop/character that fights of supernatural bad guys that has taken lessons and has fighting skills w/o being in the field herself?
More+
Flag
last acid self induce flashback nightmare
Flag
Not sure what was more creepy Evil Goat Clause or Monroe Christmas obsession. Yeah,,,, I think Rosalie was considering a quick exits through the window when she saw all the decorations. Monroe decorating was like a little kid open presents on Christmas day, It was great. It was nice to see what was going on in Vienna but honestly I think that it would of been okay if they took a little break from the mythos and focus on the Krampus and the Christmas activities happening in the main characters lives. I thought the story could stand on it own . Also it nice to get a filler piece especially if the filler is really interesting like the Krampus episode. Just my opinion

Flag
They really need to just sit down and do an episode or two on Vienna and then merge the storyline back into Nick's life. The bouncing back and forth is getting confusing.
Flag
No one likes standalones less than I do, but the arc that they've got going on is really boring. It doesn't even involve Nick, Hank, Monroe, Rosalee or Juliette! So you're probably right that this one would have been better as a pure standalone.
Flag
Big revelation! Nick has zombie superpowers; he went dead cold and deliver one super punch KO...We need a name for Nick's Super Zombie state
Flag
Zick? Nombie? Nimbie?
Flag
Zomnick
Flag
Was I watching Grimm or Assassins Creed. The hidden arm blade was very cool.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members