A Grimm Community
Friday 8:00 PM on NBC (Returning Fall 2016)

Grimm S03E10: "Eyes of the Beholder"

Also known as "the one where everyone is a Wesen," "Eyes of the Beholder" really made me want to demand some sort of concrete answer as to just how much of Portland's population belongs to the Wesen world, because Grimm is starting to fall into this routine where it's safe to assume that any new face in any new episode is going to woge at some point, and it's getting a little bit silly. 

Juliette's college BFF, Alicia, was a Wesen. Alicia's douchey husband, Joe, was a Wesen. We had rival gangs facing off that happened to be full of Wesen. The innocent-bystander-of-the-week, Jared, was a Wesen and so was his sister, who also happened to be Hank's physical therapist/crush. Portland is a major city with a large population, so okay, fine, it has a lot of Wesen. It's just that we keep seeing these random Wesen constantly running into each other when supposedly everyone is trying to keep their Wesen status a secret. I don't know about you, but I personally don't need a shiny new Wesen every single week. I'd rather have strong stories built around the Wesen we already know. 

While "Eyes of the Beholder" was certainly an improvement over last week's mid-season premiere, my Spidey-sense is starting to tingle in a rather uncomfortable way because we have yet to hit the sweet spot that the first half of Grimm's third season nailed consistently, week after week. It's like the writers decided to save all the mediocre episodes with the weird racial undertones for January, interrupting all the good stuff to get them out of the way now in hopes that maybe we'll forget about them when the plot heats up again later on. Last week it was every Russian stereotype ever with a nod to our token Wesen historical figure, Rasputin. This week: GANGS. Roselee barfed up some exposition about Wesen drug wars because even though there are numerous socio-economical and cultural reasons for gangs to take control of any given area, Grimm apparently doesn't feel like getting as complicated and contemplative as it was when this season began, which is a shame, but I've got my fingers crossed. 

Last week's creepy cliffhanger with creepy Joe being all creepy and stalker-ish outside Nick and Juliette's home ended up being a non-issue. He apparently decided to sit around and wait all night and most of the day for Juliette to traumatize her friend—who was very clearly not interested in talking about her cute and fuzzy side—by revealing that she was shacked up with the thing that, historically, hunts down Wesen such as Alicia and Joe. Alicia freaked out. Joe thought it looked like a good time to try to murder everyone/ask Alicia to come home. Despite blowing right through Nick, Joe was momentarily thwarted by Juliette and her trusty frying pan before Nick pulled himself together and finished the smackdown. In that sense, Juliette had a bit of a bipolar episode, displaying both utter stupidity and the ability to defend herself rather than going full-on damsel. I'll take it. Juliette's ill-planned attempt to let Alicia know that she was in the know about Wesen was such an old-school Juliette moment. It was kind of sweet. Juliette is still relatively new to Grimm and Wesen, and while it's been nice to see her become a little more active in and knowledgeable about the world she now inhabits with Nick, I've always had this minor concern in the back of my mind that Juliette's increasing exposure to Wesen would result in her becoming a darker character. I'm all for Juliette continuing to be more and more of a person instead of just some romantic ideal for Nick to pine for, but on a show where so much of the story is based on folklore and fairy tales, there's certainly a place for a character who, in the face of everything, maintains some level of innate goodness. 

MEANWHILE, IN AUSTRIA...

Nada. No Adalind action this week! For shame!

AND BACK IN PORTLANDIA...

Monrosalee were presh and indulged in some frisky cello time before Juliette barged in, requesting an impromptu lesson in how to treat your Wesen friend like a closeted gay person. And Rosalee was sad about that time she was a drug addict, but then Monroe went all supportive-boyfriend on her ass and ugh love them so mu-uh-uch. 

But do Hank and Zuri have a future? I'm not so sure—what do you think?  

ALL ABOARD AUNT MARIE'S BOOKMOBILE OF CRAZY

– That diner was so retro and awesome and I can't help but feel like I've seen it used somewhere else. #Help

– Not much Zombie Nick action this week. Sadface.

– Not much Renard either. Double sadface. 

What'd you think of "Eyes of the Beholder?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/20/2016

Season 5 : Episode 22

129 Comments
Comments (129)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Well although I agree on some level with Sleasman insomuch that not everyone has to be a wesen. Poor Hank. I think the show is great. Keep up the great work and see you again Friday/ :)

Flag
There is one thing I really would like to know. What do Wesen see when they look at a grimm while doing woge? It seems to be quite universal that anyone instandly recognizes a grimm even those who have never met one before.
Flag
Grimms are the bogeyman in the wesen world...pretty sure they covered that..:)
Flag
When I first found this show I could'nt get through the first episode. Maybe that should've been a clue to leave it alone. I revisited it at a later date and started to get into it. I stick with it because I like the genre and I've gotten used to it but the format of weekly procedural (hunt the Wessen) is tiring. The sub-plots and interaction between the characters, which is what makes the show interesting for me, are taking too long to unfold over the arc of the season. Supernatural was like this at the beginning but they found a better balance particularly towards the introduction of Lilith and the Angels etc when it was at its best. As I've stayed with Supernatural for so long, suffice to say I'll be with it to the end. Grimm, on the other hand, needs to speed up the seasonal story arc or I'll be gone by the end of the season.
Flag
I really enjoyed this episode. My favorite scene is the where Juliette and her BFF kicked the husband's ass. My favorite line is when the husband says to Nick please don't hurt me and Nick says I don't thinks it me you have to worry about. I have to say the episode Eye Of The Beholder was a really good episode. I also hate that the relationship between Hank and his physical therapist didn't work out.
Flag
All I can say is, UGGH!!!

So much potential I won't say pissed away, but certain unrealized. Alicia and Joe being wesen could have been a lot of fun and while Juliette going all Juliette was the culmination, I hang this one on Nick. Really, Nick? Waiting until Alicia goes to the bathroom while out for lunch and "oh, by the way'ing" Juliette with a pretty significant piece of information about one of her best friends and then telling her to "act natural"? Dummy! Don't suppose a private lunch or talking in bed would be better to give her time to absorb that piece of information. Or better yet, keep your yap shut until things played out a little?

Though Juliette going all Repunzel with the frying pan...awesome. What would have been more awesome...

Speaking of self head smashing...as soon as Zuri told her brother, "Watch your temper", I knew things weren't going to go well. I figured he wasn't The Hulk, so that means wesen. And if he's wesen, she's wesen. And if she's wesen...UGGH! I never like when a character is introduced as a love interest for almost no other reason than skin colour. I appreciate that there's not many black folks in real life Portland but there are no shortage of wesen and if interspecies dating is taboo, then how about Hank starts noticing the pretty barista or the cute rookie at the station, regardless of racial background. I know things didn't go well with Adalind, but that was a while back and dude's gotta be backed up. I am however preparing myself for the introduction of an Asian woman for Sgt. Wu {sigh}
More+
Flag
Loved the scene with Julliette and Joe...she kicked his ass " I am not impressed!' You go girl...starting to like Juliette more and more...
I knew that her girlfriend was the same as rosalee...
So sad for Hank....did he finally found a nice girl, is she a Wesen and have serious issues...!! You are better off Hank...!!
It was a light Grimm this episode..that was nice for a change...
Flag
Episode was pretty meh , but I do agree with most here that the number of Wesen is getting ridiculous ! Like its probably easier to count who ISN'T a Wesen.
I always thought Wesen was a small minority and that is why they've always kept a low profile and went to great lengths to keep their existence a secret, but week after week it seems like Wesen are in fact the majority and that humans are the minority group lol! Also Juliette is getting better she's no longer the whiny needy biatch of previous seasons, I wouldn't say I like her but I no longer despise her :)
Flag
At this point, I think the writers are just trolling us with Juliette.
Flag
I am all for female characters who can defend themselves, but this episode is just lazy writing. Not once have we ever seen Juliette training physically or practicing her self-defence skills, yet suddenly she can overcome a much larger male Wesen? And Wesen are supposed to be stonger and faster than regular humans, due to their animal traits.

The writers were finally starting to show us Juliette actually doing her job as a vet, and I really appreciated the episodes when Juliette's medical and biology skills proved useful. But it is pure laziness for writers to pull a rabbit out of a hat and suddenly give Juliette hand-to-hand combat skills that have not been demonstrated or even hinted at.
Flag
i love Grimm BUT comon is every frigging person in Portland a Wesen now?
And Nikes girlfriend is becoming annoying again!
Flag
Even though I really like the show I have to agree that it´s really starting to get boring. Someone new shows up - they´re a wesen. A crime was committed - it was a wesen. Anything remotely interesting happens - a wesen is involved. Just try and switch it up a bit. There must be at least a few humans left out there in Portland. Give them something interesting to do.
Flag
Oh, and I forgot - please kill of Juliette. She´s just annoying. I thought there might be some hope for the character but we´re in season 3 now and she´s still as terrible as she was in the beginning.. Nick tells her not to tell her friend that she knows about wesen or that he´s a grimm. And what does she do? She tells her of course. Just...get rid of her.
Flag
I kind of getting bored of the daily cases and also that almost everyone now seems to be a wesen really starts to annoy me. I still think the show has a lot of potential but at least at the moment it feels like the show stuck and is going nowhere. So I really hope they can somehow bring the show back on track. I mean there are so many good storylines and long term arcs they could focus on. I hope they slow down on the everyone is a wesen thing a little bit because even for a supernatural series its getting ridiculous.
Flag
This was by far the worst episode of the series.
Flag
I think Grimm is at a turning point. It has to decide whether it wants to be a cop procedural or a supernatural drama. Both won't work I'm afraid. Usually I'm quite a fan of monster of the week shows but the possibilities are almost exhausted. At least I feel that way. Far more interesting would be Nick's new powers, the Royal Families, the mystery about the key etc. None of that is being touched as it seems. Personally I would like to see Grimm go down that road. I find myself less and less caring about the monster of the week.
Flag
I agree that it's getting pretty silly that EVERYBODY is Wesen now but yet it's such a big secret. come on. there's only 4 non-Wesen characters on the show
Flag
MaryAnn, that was my first and biggest concern with last night's episode - everyone was Wesen. Actually, it's been a concern for awhile. I don't remember the last time the show introduced us to a normal human being. Seriously, would it be that big of a deal if a case or two of Hank and Nick's didn't involve a Wesen? Like it has been suggested, focus the Wesen side on those already a part of the show. Maybe Bud needs help or something. Or, with the Monroe and Rosalee getting ready to meet the parents, let that be the impetus surrounding the Wesen culture.
Flag
I liked the episode, especially when Juliette showed some very good self-defense capabilities. I especially liked it that Alicia helped Juliette take that scumbag of a husband down. I'm guessing that Nick was taken by surprise, that the only explanation for him being knocked out so easily. But I'm sure the writers just wanted the girls to get some @$$ kicking on a wife-abusing dirtbag.

As someone else had mentioned, it was the other gang from out of town that was wesen, not the guy they killed or the girl in the hospital.

One day Hank will find love, but he should know by now that not everyone he's into will be interested in him. Zuri is a sweet and wonderful person, but she obviously has issues, and frankly, Hank deserves someone who will like him for him. But I really love the idea of a cheetah wesen, that is just too cool.
Flag
"As someone else had mentioned, it was the other gang from out of town that was wesen, not the guy they killed or the girl in the hospital."

Just clarifying - I'm guessing this is a mistype, but that's actually backwards. The other gang from Seattle is human. The guy they killed was from the local Portland gang, and he and his girlfriend (in the hospital) were both Wesen.
Flag
Now I'm confused again. I thought I had worked out which group was wesen and which was human. Maybe I'll re-watch that part again once it's released for free download.
Flag
FYI, at least if you live in the US, you can still watch on Hulu. That's where I watch everything. It's up for free viewing, and will be for the next several weeks (they typically expire 6 or so weeks after they air).
Flag
Actually I liked this weeks episode. There are few things that I do want to mention though.

First, the bit above about how Alicia's "wife beating husband" was sitting around waiting to do something, isn't that what bullies do? They never confront people head on unless they feel like they have an advantage and when faced with an equal or stronger force turn into the scared pussies they really are?

Being a guy, I certainly felt that kick to jewels even from here, but was so proud of Juliette for doing it as well as when she saw him woge out she said "I'm not impressed" - Hello bad ass Juliette! Hank is Nick's police partner and looks like Juliette wants/could be a challenge to be Nick's Grimm partner. :)

Also, while I don't really know much about Portland (not from the US) I understand it is a very 'wooded' area much the same as what I gather early Germany would have been like, maybe that very natural environment is what draws the wessen to it. Besides, most fairy tales, which the Wessen are based on seemed to come from forested locations. Is there another city that could fit that description in the US?

Or as others have mentioned, maybe Portland is just like the "wessen hellmouth".

Finally, I think the actors that do play the wessen do a fabulous job at showing that fear of seeing Nick when they realize he is a Grimm. So tough and defiant at first but when they realize what Nick is, pee their pants and cry.

To me they see him like God of the Old Testament that will "smite them down with vengeful force" and that fear is so believable, it's impressive.
More+
Flag
A good portion of the east coast has lots of forests and park lands that would appeal to many of the european wesen. Germany's Black Forest reminded me of the Appalachians. I'm thinking that Asheville, NC would be a great east coast analog for Portland. It has a very diverse population, is in the mountains, and is surrounded by lots of forested area.
Flag
I honeymooned in Asheville, and it is rather nice...but if I had to pick an eastern version of Portland, I'd probably go with the New Hampshire/Vermont area...which, if I'm not mistaken, is where Monroe's parents live.
Flag
Do you know what was the worst thing about a relatively mediocre episode that whole Hank crush thing, I mean the man was about to cry because the girl he liked didn't want to date him, That was way too much cheese for me to handle, I hate these really random little plots they throw in just to fill up time they are pretty bad
Flag
"Juliette's college BFF, Alicia, was a Wesen. Alicia's douchey husband, Joe, was a Wesen. We had rival gangs facing off that happened to be full of Wesen."

To be fair, while the local gang (the one from Portland) was full of Wesen, the other one (the one from Seattle) seemed to be regular humans. There's no indication that any of them are Wesen, and they didn't seem to see the "innocent bystander turns into a monster" thing coming.

So it's just the one that's from Portland that are all Wesen...

Maybe moonstruck is onto something. :) Maybe it is kind of like a Slayer-type situation. One of the most famous lines from the BtVS pilot is:
Giles: "There's a reason why you're here, and a reason why it's now."
Buffy: "Because now is the time my mom moved here."
In BtVS, the idea behind why Buffy just happens to live in one of the two towns in America that's on top of a Hellmouth is that TPTB arranged for Buffy, the Slayer, to live there.

Maybe it's kind of the same thing here. Maybe the reason Nick lives in Portland in the first place, is that there's an abnormally high concentration of Wesen there. So, years before he even became a full-fledged Grimm, he was drawn to Portland. Or his mother was, or Aunt Marie (can't recall if Nick was born in Portland or not, or if he grew up there).
More+
Flag
Portland obviously sits on the Hellmouth :P
Flag
I liked Juliette's "Tangled" moment with the frying pan......girl has skills.

Other than that, episode was meh (as is almost any episode without Adalind or Renard). I wish Hank would have finally gotten a girlfriend!
Flag
There are two events in Grimm that I am keenly anticipating. The first is a crossover with Portlandia, where it is revealed that Carrie Brownstein and Fred Armisen are wessen. The other is Kelly Burkhardt's return, with Nick's childhood fiancée in tow, (what she was really up to in greater Macedonia.) Momma's ready for grandkids, and they need to be 100% Grimm.
Flag
Also, shouldn't Nick or Hank have twigged much earlier to the fact that Zuri was a Wesen? Let's see, her father was a major member of a Wesen-based gang, Wesen seems to be a genetic trait...
Flag
...Zuri mentioned training Jared to not lose his temper...
Flag
I like this show but HATE why characters always run away from police to dramatic music. I also hate teenagers doing that kind of stupid stuff, like the boy did. Its just boring and lazy writing.
Flag
I had a big problem with the way the kid, as he was seeing what was clearly a group of guys beating up a very large gang member and his girlfriend... he had three options:
1) He could sneak away before anybody found out he was there
2) He could sneak away before anybody found out he was there and then call 911
3) He could announce his presence to the guys who were currently beating a guy much bigger than him, to death.

...You know, I don't live in an area with gangs. I don't really know all that much about gangs, or street smarts. But even I could see that there was a very clear WRONG choice among the three choices above...
Flag
I was a teacher and i know teens act like this all the time. It's part of their teen make-up always thinking they know better than the adults.
Flag
So agree about the kid. The smart thing would have been to just tell Hank. Seriously, by himself against three he didn't stand a chance and was most likely going to get himself and his girlfriend killed. Idiot.
Flag
After reading through all the comments, far too many women liked that fight scene and Joe getting kicked in the family jewels. Somebody on here remind me to buy a cup.

Flag
As long as you dont beat up your girlfriend, I think you're fine.
Flag
I like what Juliette is becoming, darker character or not. When we hated her, we wished Nick had a girlfriend who was a badass/not useless and wessen. So a badass Juliette makes sense. Hank now needs to let Nick screen all his dates. Poor guy, these wessen must be full or magnetism. Zuri refusal to date Hank was also a nice moment. It showcase a wessen who knows and respect the limits or lack of her character. Imagine couple arguments going south, poor Hank would have ended as chow meat. But our insecurities also cage us, i hope Zuri reconsider.
I have no problems with the of number of guest character turning out to be wessen. My default perception is..everyone might be one. Especially my boss.
Flag
This was a standalone episode used,I think, to show the way Wesen think of and view themselves in the world. It may have also been to introduce Zuri but I don't think so after the final scene. This was just a so-so episode but after seeing the previews for next week, I'm anxiously awaiting the next episode.
Flag
Well, Hank obviously has a subconscious attraction to vessen
Flag
"Nada. No Adalind action this week! For shame!"

Is this sarcasm? Adalind hasn't been involved in anything resembling action all season. Every time the camera flashes back to Russia I sigh and reach for a handheld gaming device.
Flag
Or the back half of last season, either...
Flag
It was a good standalone episode but still far away from going deeper into the shows mythology.
Flag
I don't know about you, but ...I'd rather have strong stories built around the Wesen we already know.

I agree, but come on, it took them 2 seasons to form Juliette into a character people didn't hate!
Grimm would be so much better if they watered down the case-of-the-week stuff and concentrated on the larger story/mythology and building a strong supporting cast of wesen.
I'd actually be quite happy to have an episode centred around Monrosalee, where Nick dropped in to ask their advice and then disappeared for the rest of the show.
Flag
Monrosalee episode where Nick drops by and then leaves? 10/10 would watch, and I'd probably buy the episode the next day just to watch it over and over again.
Flag
What do Wesen see when they woge and look at Nick? Nick has said that they "sense" it, but we've seen they if they woge, while not looking at him, they don't realize what he is. Every time a wesen jumps back in fear this thought runs through my head. This episode it happened four times, so it was on my mind more than usual.

I'm irritated that this we had no Adalind, no Renard plotting, no Royals, no Council, no Resistance, and no Kelly. Basically was lacking everything I tune in for...Grimm need to take a cue from The Blacklist's formula for sustaining viewer interest: No episode should be without at least a hint of larger mythology. I find myself struggling to remember the larger questions existing in the world of Grimm, which is a huge problem.
Flag
Nick said he thinks they sense it. His exact words: "I don't know. I think they sense it when I see them, but I don't know for sure." And that was at the beginning of S2.

I agree, it's really intriguing. :) I really hope this is one of those questions the producers are dangling before us, before they make a big reveal that will not be anticlimactic.

Here's what we do know: Wesen never seem to sense Nick's being a Grimm unless they a) woge, and b) are looking at him. Like, ever. That's actually pretty-much a constant throughout the show.

However, we also know that, when Nick tells a Wesen that he "saw" them woge, then they seem to think that's unusual, even if Nick were a Wesen. But, then again, when Nick shows pictures of Wesen to Monroe (as seen by a Grimm), Monroe recognizes the pictures, so he apparently sees them the same way.

Methinks the producers haven't quite made up their minds how it works yet. :(

My favorite theory (and it's not so much a "theory" as it is a "conception of the Grimm universe that's useful for fanfic"): When a Wesen woge's, Nick's appearance changes too. But only to the Wesen that Nick's looking at. Kind of like a Grimm version of a woge, but different - something spooky. Maybe something like a shadow surrounding him, or even taking him over.
More +
Flag
I agree, his appearance must be something pretty spooky. My take on how woging works, based on the Russian healer episode, is that Wesen witness woging in the same way the human do. Renard is Half-Wesen, and he couldn't see the healer's emotional woge.

I think the difference between the emotional woge and full woge, is that the emotional woge isn't an external physical change. The emotional woge in purely internal and something only Grimms can sense. Nick eyes aren't really seeing what his brain tells him he is seeing. I don't even think the Wesen themselves would see a change if they looked in a mirror.

The show is shot from Nick's perspective, at least when he is on screen, so we as an audience can see the world the way Nick does. I think this is the reason we can't see the changes in Nick that Wesen can. Again Nick isn't actually changing, it is just the Grimm version of an emotional woge, interpreted by the Wesen's brain change in appearance.
Flag
I've wondered what they see too, and wondered if they ever show it.
Flag
Really liked this episode, especially Juliette kicking ass. This new Juliette is fun to watch. Despite totally bungling the whole don't-tell-her-you-know part, and the my-husband-is-a-grimm part, she made up for it by going karate-crazy on Joe. Then, in a further step forward, she let Alicia vesen-out in front of her (not that she could see what she really looks like, but no big deal), and gives her a big hug. Juliette may have been on the outside looking in for a long time, but her newly found acceptance of the "other world" has been very refreshing to watch.

Hank and Zuri look good together. Too bad it didn't work out. I definitely would've liked to see where that went.

I have to disagree with you on the too many wesen thing. I actually like seeing the many different types there are because until this show, i never really knew about any of them. It's interesting to see, even if they do mostly come from Portland. To me, you can have many wesen types AND have strong stories around a select few, like GRIMM does now, with Monroe, Rosalee, Renard, and that plumber family man Wesen (can't remember his name lol). So your criticism is a little confusing to me.

Monroe and Rosalee are always welcome faces to me. Her knowledge of the wesen drug trade thing was somehow funny and interesting to hear at the same time lol.
More+
Flag
I believe that it was mentioned earlier on that when wesen want you to see what they look like when they woge then you can see what they actually look like.
Flag
Well, concerning Rosale and the drug world - this was not the first time that came up. And that part of her backstory is well established.
Flag
It is weird that Portland has so many Wesen but then it has the rep for being weird (I don't know what I think about this but I took one of those tests for the best place for me to live...Portland was the answer) and then there is a whole show about it. It kind of makes you wonder about Jess and CeCe on New Girl though....

I kind of think that might have been the diner that we met the sheriff and Abbie in on Sleepy Hollow.
Flag
Not only is Jess a Wesen, Zooey Deschanel is a Wesen.
Flag
- Oregon may have its fair share of potheads, but now Joe is a panhead. And a jarhead. Twice.

- Obviously, a woged Klaustreich is not going to scare Juliette. She's a vet, she knows how to deal with stray cats. As evidenced by the fact that she then immediately kicked him in the nuts.

- Zuri must've done a good job, did you see Hank chasing Jared? He would've caught him if half-zombie Nick hadn't been showing off.

- When Hank got rejected, he should've mentioned that his last girlfriend was a Hexenbiest who tried to kill him. That would've damn sure put things into perspective.

- The world is full of animals that could be made into Wesen. Was it really necessary to duplicate the jaguar so soon?

- Monroe claims to know nothing about gangs, but as a Blutbad, he should know the danger of what happens when a qroup of ill-tempered Wesen get together.

- The Juliette/Alicia conversation in a nutshell:
"I know you're Wesen."
"You're nuts."
"Nick's a Grimm"
"Eeek!"

Yeah, well, that Grimm is the reason your abusive husband is never going to bother you again.

- Once again, Monroe and Rosalee seemed kind of arbitrary this week. It's like Juliette, ever since she became, y'know, competent, has been stealing their valuable B-plot time.
More+
Flag
" Juliette... has been stealing their valuable B-plot time."- This is what bothers me, too. The development of J is cutting into what M&R brought far too often and too deeply.
Flag
Hank falls in love with another Wesen, (sad trombone). Jeez, just when I was starting to enjoy this show again. Like who didn't see that coming? Of course it can't be that she actually doesn't like to mix work with pleasure (as Hank always seems to), no, she just doesn't date outside her race, uh species. Lame.

Also why is ripping someones throat out not a punishable crime? Did I miss something? Because how are they gonna explain that to the coroner? Yes Hank she had a choice, knocking him down was enough, ripping out his throat was excessive.

Juliette confronts her friend about being Wesen and the friend denies it…uh ok. I was hoping they were going to do something really interesting here, where maybe the friend is in denial of what she is, but no, she's just uncomfortable with people knowing and so Juliette's solution is to make a ton of pancakes and eggs and then tell her friend that Nick is a Grimm. Brilliant. (no, not really, but damn those pancakes looked good)

It would seem the writers really really want us to like Juliette this season, and for the most part it's working. I thought Nick went down pretty easily, (though maybe he went to grab his gun) but I had no problem with Juliette kicking ass. Her boyfriend's a cop, she knows how to defend herself, plus a frying pan in the face is going to daze almost anyone.

Is it just me, or is everyone in Portland Wesen now? You would think with a Grimm around they'd be moving out not moving in. Running into one or two each week was one thing, but now it's like there's packs of them roaming the street. I understand the nature of the show, but I wish there was a way to make them seem more rare (which would also go a long way to explaining their fear of Nick).

More+
Flag
Re: "Hank falls in love with another Wesen, (sad trombone). Jeez, just when I was starting to enjoy this show again. Like who didn't see that coming?"

...I didn't see it coming. I'm actually kind of surprised, and also pleased, that Hank (traditionally kind of traumatized by Wesen and therefore slow to warm to them) was able to look past her being Wesen.

Re: "Also why is ripping someones throat out not a punishable crime? Did I miss something? Because how are they gonna explain that to the coroner? Yes Hank she had a choice, knocking him down was enough, ripping out his throat was excessive."

...Agreed. That was kind of odd.

Re: "I thought Nick went down pretty easily, (though maybe he went to grab his gun)"

...Joe got lucky, and took Nick unawares when he was distracted and focused entirely on Alicia. At least, that's how I explain it to myself. The surprise, to me, wasn't that Joe was able to put Nick down (again, he got Nick on the side of the head before Nick even had the chance to register that Joe was there), but rather that Nick didn't know Joe was there to begin with. Super-senses, remember? *sigh* I hate it when writers think that powers should only be for when they're convenient for the plot. But at least there is a rationale this time (Nick was completely focused on Alicia).
More +
Flag
"...I didn't see it coming. I'm actually kind of surprised, and also pleased, that Hank (traditionally kind of traumatized by Wesen and therefore slow to warm to them) was able to look past her being Wesen."

I don't mind a human/wesen pairing. And ya it's been a while, so I get Hank needing a relationship. But the minute she hesitated when he asked her out last episode, I knew she was Wesen. And of course she ended up being a "damsel in distress" raising her brother too. Hank warmed up to her because she appealed to his "need to protect" instinct.

I don't think we've seen the last of Zuri and her reluctance to date non-wesen, I just wish this had gone in another direction.
Flag
Hank falls in love with another Wesen, (sad trombone). Jeez, just when I was starting to enjoy this show again. Like who didn't see that coming? Of course it can't be that she actually doesn't like to mix work with pleasure (as Hank always seems to), no, she just doesn't date outside her race, uh species. Lame.
----

I was hoping that by the end of the episode there was going to be the possibility of a Hank + Zuri relationship. Yeah so he falls for another Wesen. So what? At least she's not another scheming, psycho Analind. And yes, it would be another stale trope: wayward, fatherless teen boy gets needed guidance/love/support from kind but tough-guy cop who steps in as surrogate father. Plus isn't Hank about due for some lovin' instead of being the odd fifth wheel out? We already have a human + human-Grimm pairing with Nick and Juliette and a Wesen + Wesen pairing with Monroe and Rosalee. So it wouldn't really be a bad thing if the writers explored a positive human + Wesen pairing with Hank and Zuri. At least this time he would have a much better idea what he was getting into. Besides, I for one would not be opposed if we saw more of Sharon Leal in Grimmland. I hope she does make a return.

On a different note: was anybody bothered by how the gang of thugs kicks down the door of Zuri's apartment yet the next day it and the door jamb are perfectly in tact as she shows out Hank?
More +
Flag
Well I have to agree. Why not explore the problems and intricacies of a wesen-human relationship? And Zuri seemed nice enough.

But I guess in a way Zuri beeing not interested in a human is sort of an exploration of the wesen-human dating possibilities. Because to me there is defenitly some sort of wesen-racial-thing going on with Zuri and why she won't even consider dating Hank.

Maybe the writers could have found a different way of approaching the subject, but it sure is worth a bit of screentime.
Flag
"Yeah so he falls for another Wesen. So what? "

"And yes, it would be another stale trope: wayward, fatherless teen boy gets needed guidance/love/support from kind but tough-guy cop who steps in as surrogate father."

You just answered your own question. This relationship has annoying forced drama all over it. I don't mind them exploring the Wesen/human dynamic, but let's do it in a way that's less sigh, and eye roll inducing.

I can already see the late night talks between him and Nick at their desks.

Hank: I mean I really like her, but she keeps pushing me away, I get that we're different, but man…

Nick: I don't know what to tell you Hank.

Hank: I know she has to care for her brother, keep him safe, but I can do that, I'm a cop, I have a gun.

Nick: True.

Hank: I just feel like we really connect.

Nick: It's the sex isn't it?

Hank: What?

Nick: It's ok Hank, Monroe told me.

Hank: Told you what?

Nick: And I've got books. Some of these Grimm were really thorough.

Hank: Nick I'm talking about my feelings here.

Nick: And I mean after Adalind… whew. Once you go Wesen… amarite?

Wu: What are we talking about relationships? Sex? Cause there was this one time...
More +
Flag
Ha, ha! Makes me want somebody to create "Meister Grimm of Sex," featuring famed 19-century German field researcher "Wili" Wilhelm Master Grimm who hires sexy Wesen assistant Virginia Johanson. I'd watch that show. ;-)
Flag
a very busy episode, lots of happenings. Best line of the night, "I'm not impress"... I am impress with Juliette this season. Happy to see the crew listening to the viewers and not make Juliette as useless and pedestrian as she was last season. Good show!
Flag
I loved the Juliet fight scene, despite the fact that Joe took out Nick-the-super-Grimm waaaaay too easily.
Flag
she kicked him in the balls and hit him in the head with a frying pan, wasn't like she stood in front of the guy trading punches. seemed reasonable to me
Flag
Finally Juliette showed some fire. I liked this episode it was nice. But was is just me or did nick not even have a scratch on him after that guy hit him, and personally he went done to easy and many the writers sacrificed nick's Grimm hood for Juliette to show some more depth apart from this another great Grimm moment
Flag
I loved the Juliet fight scene. That is the scene I was waiting for.
Flag
I love that Juliette fighting was actually a lot of moves one learns in self defense class and I was glad that Alicia got her licks in. One random observation. ..the whole zombie thing is going to be entirely up to her to investigate unless he does it in front of Monroe or Rosales since Hank seems to rely on it now.

And um...was this episode sort of an allegory about coming out of the closet in a sexual identity sense? If so, way to go Grimm getting all Buffy on us.
Flag
Nothing Juliette does will ever be good enough for the majority of viewers. She's a woman, and like all female television characters, she's held to pointless standards that amount to a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. The moves she pulled in this episode were standard self-defense class stuff, but expect people to complain that she was too strong, too well-trained, too pick-absolutely-anything. If she stands up for herself they'll complain it's 'unrealistic,' (In a TV show about 'vessen' and all the rest, which we are apparently all watching for realism,) if she lets Nick do the saving, they'll complain she's useless.

Juliette isn't my favourite character, but I will say I was pleased to see her defend her friend against a woman-beating scumbag. (And she didn't 'win' or 'beat him' people; Nick still ended the scuffle by pulling a gun.) She helps with the case of the week when she can, she isn't constantly being kidnapped and rescued, she's supportive of Nick and his whole weird universe of special circumstances, and thankfully she's not perfect. So please, you don't have to love her, she doesn't need to be your favourite, but it would be great if a lot of the mindless spite directed toward her could be tempered with a little common sense and that 'realism' fans are already complaining about. The unreasonable hatred towards women in TV shows is pretty disgusting.

This week Juliette was both tough and loving, and it was great.
More+
Flag
My biggest problem with Juliette was that she was written so poorly in previous seasons. I love the new Juliette! I'm glad the writers paid attention to some of the criticism and made her part of Nick's world.
Flag
Which is all well and good. They just seem to be overcompensating with Juliette. And going way too fast with it.
Flag
So is the show not going to comment on Juliette going one on one with a Klaustreich, and winning. Are we saying that Wesen aren't physically superior, depending on type, from run of the mill humans? Because that's not really how the shows been playing it to date. So, if her heroics where, er...heroic, when and how did Juliette become such a good fighter?
Flag
Well, I think the writers deserve some leeway. I thought it was a nice twist that the wife-beating douche got taken down by the two women. Thats proper karma :D
Even though it took Nick getting involved for him to stay down...
Flag
To be fair they had to smash a lot of heavy things over his head to get him down and even then he was getting back up before Nick got into it.
Flag
But even more than that. The guy that she fought knocked Nick down for a good amount of time in order for them to fight. No way that happens with his increased Grimm powers. Nick has taken on way bigger and badder Wesen without being hit like that, it does not matter that it was a sucker punch. It seems they are hurting the quality that we have become used to in a very obvious attempt to make us like Juliette's character. And you're right we have come to understand that certain Wesen are inherently stronger than humans with a faster reaction time etc. there is no way Juliette stands toe to toe with him unless she is something supernatural as well.
Flag
For all we know, Nick was standing around watching Joe get beat by two women and enjoying the irony, stepping in only when the time seemed right to break it up.
Flag
I'm sure it was a bit contrived for the sake of the story, but c'mon--Nick's zombie super powers didn't have time to kick in as he was surprised by Joe at the door. Usually Nick is already in a heightened state of awareness and his radar is up when he's on the hunt. But he was at home and not expecting any surprises since he didn't know Joe was even in town; so his zombie guard was likely down.
Flag
Even when he wasn't super powered Grimm last season he took on tougher Wesen and was likely hit hard by them.
Flag
Let me hit you on the head with a frying pan and then DONT be somewhat dazy...
Flag
Follow this Show
Members