A Grimm Community
Friday 8:00 PM on NBC
:)

Ok, so there's actually quite a lot to talk about. Off the top of my head:

- Is she born evil? I think there's a lot to be said for both sides of this argument.

On the one hand, as a user commented in the "Mommy Dearest" review, one of Grimm's biggest ongoing themes - if not the biggest ongoing theme, is that a person's choices determine whether they're good or bad, not the circumstances of their birth. So she can't be inherently evil, because according to the show's biggest theme, there's no such thing.

On the other hand, she's the daughter of a Hexenbiest and a Royal, and more importantly... a great deal was apparently done to her in utero. A woman was killed so that Adalind could bury her hands and feet in a field of flowers - that then all died - so that she could insert the flowers into the dead woman's body, all to produce this goo, which she was instructed to spread on her belly. Once on her belly, the goo would take the shape of varying symbols of death, before being absorbed into her uterus. Adalind was instructed to do all of this by a very creepy woman with an unknown agenda, who insisted that it was "very good for the skin... and the child."

And then, of course, there was the appearance of the Wildesheer, which apparently fortells of something horrible that will change the world. And then Adalind's baby is born. In the very next scene.

How can you not call her "demon baby," after that? :)

So far, though, in terms of the baby's actions... well, you could look at it either way, I think. Just looking at what she did after being born (not counting her actions while in utero, which may be a whole other conversation - have away!)...

So far, we've seen her:
  • sleeping
  • telekinetically using her mother's hair to grab Meisner's hand while... staring him down? Gauging whether he's a threat? Laying a mind-control mojo on him? Innocently looking at him? Who knows... but I, personally, thought it was creepy. Not because her eyes were glowing purple - we're almost used to such things by now. No, it was creepy because an adult was looking out of a newborn's face. At least, that's what I saw. And that is creepy.
  • causing Meisner to hallucinate her in the woods. This, I found both innocent and creepy. It's innocent because, when you look at her end goal, it was innocent and very childlike; she was cold, and she wanted to be warm. But it was also creepy. Not because she caused Meisner to hallucinate, but because she knew how to get warm. She knew that the reason she was cold was that there was no fire, and the reason there was no fire was that they were out of wood, and so they needed to get more wood... from the woods. And Meisner was in the woods, so he should get the wood. And a good way to get him to bring wood to the cabin, was to make him think that the wood was her. That... is not a line of reasoning that a newborn infant should be capable of.

- What will her role be? Is she a MacGuffin? Or a player? If she's a player, what side will she be on? Is she going to be Nick's enemy?

- Is she going to rapidly age? (please, please no...)

- Who is her father? Does it matter? Will that affect who she is... whether she's Eric's child or Sean's? And will it affect the plot? If so, how?

- What would you name her, if it were up to you? For some reason, I keep seeing Adalind naming her, "Sarah." Something totally non-threatening and normal like that.

Anyway, those are the questions/comments that I could think of offhand. Would love to hear what you think, on these and any other Adalind's-baby-related topics you can think of. :)

ETA: I forgot a couple of the questions:
- What's with the two-hearts thing? And how is it significant?

And, on a possibly-related note:
- How did she cause Meisner to hallucinate her in the woods?
Comments (39)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
the captain is half royal half hexenbiest..well the male form of it.

Flag
I think it all depends on WHAT exactly the royals are. Either way she'll probably be a bit of a red herring as most of the "big bads" in Grimm usually are
Flag
Ok has any one put thought into the second heartbeat? What is the second heartbeat is another baby a symbiont that shows it self when the baby gets upset. And is using the baby to hide in until it finds it's host
Flag
I think this baby is coming back in the next season as a teenager. They probably explain it as she grows faster because she is so special.
Of course with her back in town, a whole lot of new problems can arise.
Flag
My thoughts on the baby: I don't think she's evil, but she has the potential to be very evil, which is why they whisked her away to live as normal a life as she can. (avoiding THAT conversation for another time) I don't see the baby and the "I'm cold and need wood" as her having "thoughts", I really think it was more instinctual. Like all babies, she wants what she wants, when she's hungry she cries, etc..., and I think needing Meisner to bring wood was an extension of that. Granted, a much more powerful extension, but she's not exactly a normal little squirt. Also, my thoughts on the two heartbeats are this...I think that it is a defense mechanism. The doctor visibly saw only one baby, but there were two heartbeats. I think this is how the child defends itself. It was trying to hide itself in the womb for safety. When the bad-accented Verrat showed up at Adalind's hotel room and pushed her stomach (Asshats!), the baby reacted by tossing a pen in the dude's eyeball. LOL I don't know why, but I don't see this baby as acting evil, but just acting like a baby...a powerful baby, but yeah. Anyone else seeing this?

ps--Still missing yummy Meisner terribly. He better be back in S5, and preferably around Adalind. :)
More+
Flag
MacGuffin or Player? Possibly both. It could be she rapidly ages and is a player from here on forward, or it could be she is spirited away early next season and we don't see her for a season or two where we'll find out she has rapidly aged is a part of some series finale end-game.
Either way she will age rapidly.
Who is the father? Sean. His characters trajectory has to eventually lead to a choice of either siding with Nick, or pitting himself against Nick. At this stage its still 50/50.
Flag
Ok, Synchronicity has now aired, and we've learned a lot more. :)

I just posted this in response to @MichelleHood24's comment to the Synchronicity review, but it belongs here too, so I'm copying/pasting. :)

--

Regarding how Momma Grimm looked when she confirmed it was a girl... actually, she seemed resigned to me. Like, "oh. A girl. That's... too bad."

We know female Grimms come into their abilities earlier than males do... maybe that's true of hexenbiests too? Actually, zauberbiests don't seem to have much in the way of "abilities" at all, so maybe the fact that it's a girl means everything, if it's a baby hexenbiest.

I do think the baby could have a connection to Nick, but I don't think there's any way she could know it from a childhood photo of a man she'd never seen. Actually, in this episode, she (the baby) seemed much more... well, baby-like than in previous episodes. Sure, she was moving things and bending spoons and pretending pillows were her, but with the possible exception of when she blew open all the doors and windows (?) to Nick's place and then showed an illusion of herself on the bed, everything she did just seemed like something that a regular baby (with superpowers) would do. Momma Grimm was holding a new interesting object, and the baby wanted a closer look at it, so she pulled it with her powers, and it snapped open. That's all I thought it was, at least.

Actually, I find myself really hoping that, except for the superpowers, the baby really is just a baby. I think that ties in nicely with what Momma Grimm said about how she is capable of great evil or great good when she grows up, depending on her upbringing. Isn't that true of every baby? I kind of like that. And I really hope that she has a connection to Nick, if only because that will lead to a happy ending. That is a very cute baby. I don't want to see her become evil; that would be a tragedy. And I didn't sign up for a tragedy when I decided to watch Grimm.
More+
Flag
Guess I'm alone in considering the possibility that the 'jedi' power came neither from Adalind nor the baby. Adalind lost her power when her hexenbeist spirit left her body suggesting it's possession (by birth) rather than genetic. If I'm not wrong, they killed Frau Pech to steal her hexenbeist spirit and the ritual was to bind it to Adalind or rather the baby since she's the bargaining chip. The goo was probably used to keep the spirit bound to the baby since it came from Frau Pech, it's natural host.

The binding may not be completed yet pending Adalind handing over the baby so at the moment, it's temporary bound to the baby in its free form, a hexenbeist entity thus 2 heartbeats. And like ghost/spirit the manifestation of its action would appear like 'telekinesis' or those 'power' because no one can see it. If this turn out to be the case, I suspect a grimm might be able to see it as it's still a form of wesen.

Of course unless TPTB do intend to go jedi on this, though I don't see the basis of where such power could spring from.
Flag
Macguffin? No main player please...
Daddys? Why not have two dads one for each "twin" child.
Aging? No I agree with you way more creepy if she/they are power but in demon glowing eyes kiddy form. I tends to spook adults.
Name? Lilith - hebrew for the devil female. (Ok I know its been in Super Natural but nice name).
Flag
Grimm is my favorite show at the moment and has been since it started, but if the kid turns into a type of "Star Child" you will be killing the show for me. Please don't jump the shark with a star child!
Flag
I think she could go either way - there may well be something in her that would predispose her to evil; but at her age, with the right people raising her and loving her, I think she could just as easily be a good person. Though perhaps one that doesn't baulk at doing the hard stuff, like Renard does. I think it's more likely she'll side with good if Renard is her daddy - I hope she's good; I always find watching kids being completely evil very unsettling. Not sure why, perhaps because I'm a parent and just can't imagine children being pure evil - but whatever the reason if she does turn evil then I will be shuttling her bits. I quite like some old Celtic name like Grania (pronounced Graw-nia) or Maeve (pronounced May-v) .
Flag
It all depends how Hitchcockian are they going in the series. Hitch believed that a great part of suspense was misdirection, showing something to the audience until it is something else. What I mean to say, that the fact that the baby is almost always shown when someone mentions that something really bad is coming does not necessarily link both elements of the plot.
I don't think that anyone knows what the baby, which I will call Gwen, really is as Wessen are a biological mesomorphic race and not an esp mutant one. I think that since Renard is a bastard, this makes him live with a mutant biospec, which is another reason why the Royals wanted him and his mother dead. This lay genetically dormant until he had a baby born with another strongly genetically dominant Hexenbiest.
The only real indication that Gwen is not the supreme evil is that Grimm Mom is there to save them; and while she might have her own agenda , this does not include anything that can remotely hurt our Nick. As for the creepy feeling it is on you and not seen through Gwen's eyes. she knows that she and the people she cares about, Adalind and Meisner , are in danger. Also, there is something definitely going on between both, maybe even a romantic future ( ?
More+
Flag
Well, if she is Sean's child then she is 1/3 Hexenbeist and 1/4...whatever the Royals are (I keep going back and forth on who and what the hell they are, at times totally seem to be human, then at other times they seem to have a bit of Grimm about them, then at still other times you get the sense they are hiding something). But if she is Eric's child, she is the exact same as Sean and I wouldn't be surprised to learn he exhibited some weird things as a baby that caused his mother to join the underground and run. I don't know which makes more or less sense (as we have had a brief telephone call from Sean's mother - I call him Renard just like everyone else, but since Eric and Victor might be in my answer too - and she seems interesting).

I do think the baby does have a weird sense of reasoning that should both be beyond her but also shows that she doesn't fully grasp things yet. I think she has measured and weighed Misner and found him not only not a threat to her mother and her but useful. I am hoping, since I kind of like him, that him carrying her through the Alps causes her to start thinking of him as more than a tool.

I personally think that the idea is still up in the air as to what role the baby will play, she will either be the bad thing that is coming, she might be the thing that the bad thing was waiting for to use (sort of like Dawn and the key and Glory from Buffy), or she could be someone important in the fight against everything. I am tempted to think they keep her as a baby for most of the rest of the season just so they can think on it a little and get Adalind back to Portland to make the decision over the baby harder for everyone since I am guessing Juliette and some other contingent will only see a baby. But more to the point, I hope the show realizes that it can keep general mythology up in the air but the finite points have to really be answered within a season. So the baby is great and everything, but why was our main hero turning into a zombie every once in awhile?
More+
Flag
ARRGH! I HATE MY TOUCHPAD! This is like the 7th time this has happened, where I had a long reply written, accidentally hit Enter while my palm was touching the pad, and wound up going somewhere else. I come back, and everything I had written is gone.

Ok, sorry, just had to get that little rant out of the way. :) On to... try to rewrite the entire reply...

The baby's genetics are up in the air, not just because of the father, but because of Adalind. She was born a Hexenbiest, but she was human when she conceived. So are the genes hexenbiest? Or human? And did the baby's genes change with the goo, along with Adalind's?

I like Meisner too. :) I think he's the closest thing the Austria storyline has to a protagonist. As a person, I really like him. Although any curiosity I feel about him is more about the larger story... why was his girlfriend targeted by the Royals? And his family? Who are these Resistance people? I'm tempted to say they're not the same as the Lauffer, because the Lauffer is mostly Wesen, from what I understand, and Sean did say that he has an understanding of Wesen that the rest of the Resistance does not... Still very, very confusing.

Anyway, I really like Meisner, and I hope he makes it to Portland.

Back to the baby... part of me thinks she was sizing Meisner up, and part of me thinks she was laying some mind-control mojo on him. If it's the latter, that could mean some interesting dynamics between Meisner and Nick. Unless Nick is on the baby's side on principle, which is... conceivable. Unlikely, but conceivable.

(if he is, then that means there is somebody in Portland who Nick feels the need to defend the baby against. Sean? If he finds out the baby is Eric's? Or maybe Sean will give the baby over to Nick for safekeeping. That could be interesting, regardless of Nick's feelings about the baby.)

I agree about needing to resolve the zombie question. I've noticed that the intervals between his "deaths" are getting longer. Hopefully, that's deliberate on the part of the writers, and not the result of lazy writing. But I'm happy with my theories about that, so until and unless I see something that directly contradicts my theories, I'm considering the question resolved. :)
More +
Flag
This is a general problem with tablets and phones. I hope this is not me patronising you. I apologise if it is sorry! If I am writing anything particularly important or long before I send I normal copy it to clipboard or whatever ipads equivalent is. Android tablets tend to hold several clips at a time so you can go backward in time so to speak. You will only loose this information if the battery dies. If you want to be extra secure on my phone/tablet I've copied then pasted into something like Evernotes or even simple note pad if you have it as a default program. It goes to the serverfarms (sorry cloud!) and temporarily even safer to retrieve.
Flag
It's actually not a tablet or phone. It's a laptop. The touchpad is just located directly beneath the spacebar, which is where the bases of my thumbs generally go. :|

I actually do make a practice of typing in Notepad before copying and pasting to the webpage... for everything except TV.com. Because TV.com has formatting that I usually use. Ah well. :}
Flag
It's not even a phone or a tablet. It's a laptop. The touchpad is just located directly under the spacebar, where my palms generally go. :|

And I normally do type in notepad until I'm ready to post... except in TV.com, where I often do formatting. Ah well. :}
Flag
Bear with me here because my take is probably too off the wall for most peoples taste. I am going to draw 2 mythologies together. First there are two babies or at least personalities as in the Greek "Gemini" mythology of Castor and Pollux. However they exist in the same physical body and depending on the situation one or other will be in relative position/control. I now draw on the next mythology from Joss Whedon's Buffy. The baby is like Glory and Ben. One super powered and probably Wesen, possibly immortal and the other being human, possibly mortal. Yes - I can believe one is good and one is evil.

That is all I have for time being! Is my thinking too crazy?

Flag
Did Meisner hallucinate her, or was it the twin that was mentioned (2 heartbeats) and was also referenced in the "previously" section.

Is there a good and a bad twin?
Flag
I'm assuming it was a hallucination because that's the only thing that makes sense to me, given that Meisner actually brought back some wood for the fire, which not-so-coincidentally, it turned out they needed.

They did kind-of imply that it was more than that in the flashbacks - I just can't wrap my head around it. If there was a phantom twin, then did the twin overlay the wood and then disappear? Did the twin turn into wood? Was the twin made out of wood to begin with? None of these makes sense to me, so I'm going with "hallucination." :)
Flag
...either that, or some kind of spectral teleportation. Maybe the baby had a dream about lying in the woods, and Meisner coming to pick her up? Hmm..
Flag
Maybe the baby has a supernatural nanny of sorts looking out for her. The second heartbeat could be the manifestation of this Protector.
Flag
I would name her Katherine. Part of me thinks she feels that mesneir is safe and reliable to keep her and Adalind safe, while the other part just doesn't know. I have a feeling that the second heartbeat may be a shadow self a completely separate being, part of me wants her to age rapidly and the other part wants her to age normally I think both will have it's benefits, if she does age I hope she has a connection with nick wether it be his enemy or his soul mate either way have there fates intertwined
Flag
There's certainly a double-ness to the child: the dubious paternity, the second heartbeat, the baby in the woods. As soon as a second heartbeat was mentioned, my first thought was a doppelgänger. Subsequent details, especially the strange appearance of the infant in the woods, have continued to reinforce that idea. A sinister, spectral double capable of bilocation and ominous foreboding would certainly fit the bill. It might also be that Grimm could use this double in an "evil twin" scenario. The baby has seemed alternately both malevolent and innocent. This may be because she is both, one malevolent, one not.

I suppose it is also vaguely possible that they actually are some manner of supernatural twins. If so, though, at least as I understand it, biologically impossible given the length of the interim between having sex with the brothers, in the world of Grimm they may belong to more than one royal.

The question of Adalind's goo is a more difficult one, as well as the reacquisition of her powers while pregnant. Will it, for example, increase the baby's hexenbiest powers for Adalind to regain hers? Is the goo related? It is a by-product of the same process.
Flag
That's a very cool point about the baby being both good and bad. Very in-keeping with the show's themes, while still being kind of menacing. I like it, thanks. :)

About the good and Adalind getting her powers back: I'm still puzzled about just what, exactly, "Hexenbiest powers" are supposed to be.

Side note: this is one of the many reasons why I've always found it so difficult to care about the Adalind storyline this season - it was all centered around her becoming a Hexenbiest again. Why? Well, apparently to get "her powers" back. But what powers are those? Hexenbiests can hold their own against Grimms in a fight, but they also disdain physical fighting, so that's unlikely to be what Adalind is so anxious to get back. And beyond that... we've seen Hexenbiests make potions. And... that's it. Big whoop. Rosalee makes potions all the time, and, more to the point, being human certainly didn't stop Adalind from poisoning Juliette, so that can't be a "Hexenbiest power." So, what exactly was Adalind so anxious to get back, that she'd go through all of the stuff she went through, earlier this season?

What exactly are "Hexenbiest powers?" I really wish they'd resolve this question before showing us the powers in a baby with so many variables in her genetics. We've only seen Hexenbiests since the pilot... it's time for them to answer the question. :\
More +
Flag
I chalk up the wanting her Hexenbiest powers back as more mommy issues. A hold over from story lines that have run their course. I agree that the writers need to bring something more to Adalind's character to keep her truly relevant, and not just the baby's momma.
Flag
I want her father to be Sean so bad is scary. Nothing against Eric, but Sean must have fought twice as hard to survive childhood as the baby has done so far to survive until birth.

I'm sure there's a lot that could be done about it. Plus, Captain Renard would be a great father! (I just know he would)
Flag
I can appreciate that, but what would happen if it were not Sean? How would it affect the plot? Would Sean turn against the baby because it was Eric's, or would he still try to defend the baby from the Royals who are after her? Would the baby be different due to being Eric's?

Either way, do you think Sean and Nick will be on the same side regarding the baby, or opposite sides? :) And does the baby herself have any say in that? (still going with mind-control mojo capabilities).

This is probably the most interesting thing to me, about the entire baby storyline, is trying to anticipate what the positions of the Nick, Sean, and the various Scoobies will be, regarding the baby, and whose side they will be on. Hopefully the same side (as each other) - I really don't want to see this cause major contention. But it's strange - as well as we know Nick, Sean, Monroe, Rosalee, Hank, and Juliette, I have absolutely no idea what they will want to do with the baby!

Well, Juliette, yes. I think I have a pretty good idea what her position will be. :) But the others? Sean is for the baby, because he thinks the baby is his. That's his stated reason. If it turns out she's not, though, will that cause him to turn against her? Will she be against him?

And Nick... what will he see when he sees the baby? Will he see a baby, or a monster? And even if he sees a monster, will that necessarily cause him to be against her? His principles dictate that a baby is a baby and should be protected, but Nick also has some pretty powerful instincts that sometimes override his principles. And what if the baby sees something in him, and does something against him? Or, heaven forbid, against Juliette?

Or maybe he'll get attached to her. If he gives her a chance. And then he'll be working to defend her.

Monroe and Rosalee... will they look at the baby and think, "cute baby?" Or will they think, "baby Hexenbiest monster who apparently was born right around the same time as the Wildesheer that fortell of something horrible coming?"

I have no idea. And that's kind-of scary. And makes me kind-of anxious for them to GET BACK TO PORTLAND, ALREADY! :)
More +
Flag
Sean might not turn against the baby if t is not his. Theoretically he should find out about the baby's "powers." The baby could be half-wesen even if he is not the father and as a half-wesen himself he would know how it felt because of the way he grew up. At the very least with the baby's powers than it could be an asset if he could get the baby and Adalind on his side and remain there.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members