A Grimm Community
Friday 8:00 PM on NBC (Returning Fall 2016)

Grimm S03E12: "The Wild Hunt"

Well... that went badly. For everyone. Of course, that's not the same as saying the episode was bad; it's more that general lack of dire straits at the end of the mid-season finale have been compensated for with a cliffhanger intended to set us up for our Olympics-required finale. Adalind is in labor (I guess?) and Monrosalee's engagement has been nothing but a suckfest for its entire 20-minute existence, and oh, Monroe flung himself between his attacking parents and a totally-unprepared-to-fight-with-some-Wesen-in-laws Nick. Man, Monroe's parents are dicks.

At the same time, though, Monroe's parents are at the center of one of the more interesting stories Grimm has going on right now. The first half of this season featured several episodes that tackled the cultural problems that plague modern Wesen families, particularly "One Night Stand" and "A Dish Best Served Cold." Wesen are just as diverse and complicated as boring old humans, with the same hang-ups and vices and occasional bouts of ass-backwards thinking. "The Wild Hunt" didn't delve too deeply into Monroe's parents' rationale for being so startlingly anti-Monrosalee (I mean, WHO DOESN'T LOVE MONROSALEE?) and for all we know, there could be a somewhat valid reason for their stance. Didn't Monroe and Rosalee touch on biological issues between Fuchsbau and Blutbad awhile ago? Like season 2? Maybe? 

This possibility doesn't make Mommy and Daddy Blutbad's treatment of Rosalee or their complete refusal to even listen to Monroe try to explain Nick before attempting to tear out his jugular (literally) acceptable or anything, but by understanding their worldview and their experiences, it's easier to understand them without immediately assuming the worst.

For a season that has reveled in contrasting the Wesen world with the human world and the modern Wesen world with the traditional one, I'm delighted to bring one of our main couples into the forefront of that storyline. At the end of the day, I fall into Monroe's mindset, where it's really none of Mom and Dad's *&^%$#@! business, but in the meantime, exploring Wesen culture and family dynamics on such a personal level has the potential to be really great.

With that said: Way to ruin a perfectly good chick-flicky awww moment, Grimm!

Perfect proposal was perfect. I just really hope it doesn't result in a super-evil monster hybrid baby or something. 

Speaking of evil monster babies... 

MEANWHILE, IN VIENNA:

I'm sorry, but every time Adalind has to do some gross thing while making the most amazing bitchfaces, I cackle. Claire Coffee has the most amazing bitchfaces. 

Anyway, only six months into this party, Adalind is already in labor, complete with creepy CGI monster faces pressing against the skin of her belly and tiny little monster hands getting ready to claw on through. After sitting through a brief royal interrogation where she sucked at lying about the letter Renard left her, girl-boo met up with Stefania (HI STEFANIA!), who was totally unconcerned with the monster faces and the premature-by-non-crazy-standards labor. Throughout this pregnancy I've been assuming that all the weird shit was happening because Adalind's little bundle of joy is a Wesen, but I'm really starting to consider that maybe Adalind and Stefania did something to it during all their hocus-pocus antics earlier this season. Stefania just seems way too delighted by Adalind's current situation. My spidey-sense is tingling. 

AND BACK IN PORTLANDIA:

Uhhh... a Wesen with a bad attitude and a problem with men in uniform was scalping cops, Marines, and other authority figures, and racking up nearly 30 victims. Nick and Hank began fumbling their way through the case, which has yet to really pick up any steam, and is effectively on hold until February 28, when our next new episode of Grimm hits the airwaves. CURSE YOU, OLYMPICS. 

I'm really grumpy about taking a three-week hiatus just as things with everyone-but-Nick are starting to get crazy and intense and awesome. 

P.S. What happened to Nick's zombie superpowers? We haven't seen them in awhile.

ALL ABOARD AUNT MARIE'S BOOKMOBILE OF CRAZY

– I've gotta admit, Juliette's argument with Nick about why she should be allowed to email Momma Grimm made sense. Better to keep her in the fold than let her turn into a boring old damsel again. 

– "That's... sort of impressive." Aw. Poor Renard.

– Between the scalping and the bathtub-tannery, this was a pretty gory episode of Grimm, no? I'm not complaining. Do you think Grimm is upping its gore-game in anticipation of airing alongside Hannibal when the latter show returns?

What'd you think of "The Wild Hunt"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/20/2016

Season 5 : Episode 22

137 Comments
Comments (137)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Monroe's family - where to begin...
As far as I can remember, the - wait a minute, we don't know his last name, this is crazy - rest of the family are NOT "reformed" or Wieder Blutbads; he only decided to go that path himself as an adult, after young Monroe ran crazy with the chick Blutbad in the three little pigs-episode.
So, judging by his behavior with her, young Monroe was a wild and crazy beast, happy to hunt and with a hankering for violence and blood to equal any other Blutbad.
Therefore, it's safe to assume that his family are similar, and that they are not fully familiar/comfortable with his Wieder ways.

To normal Blutbads, Fuchsbau are somewhere between prey and an annoyance, based on stuff like Monroe's advice to Nick the first time he met one: "Count your fingers after you shake hands with a Fuchsbau."
Nice, right?
So we've got a normal Blutbad family, who might still indulge in family hunts on the weekends, seing their estranged darling son preparing to spend his life with a sneaky, lying piece of prey...
Yeah, I get that they reacted badly.

Of course there may be completely different and much more valid reasons for their concern, such as the unclear and lightly touched upon question of "what kind of babies do different Wesen get?", or the Verrat angle I see mentioned below, but all in all, I don't see how it COULD have gone well coming at them cold like that.

That's not an excuse, mind you - just an explanation. ;)
More+
Flag
Thanks for a great recap.
Flag
I just can't believe I have to now wait an entire MONTH for Grimm to be back!!!! Oh, how I hate midseason breaks!! I just love this show and I'm so glad that Monroe and Rosalee got engaged. Total "awww" moment in my book. And then she met the family and it all went to hell in a handbasket real fast. Now I understand why people elope to Vegas. And poor Nick walking in on a family of Bludbaden in the middle of a tiff! I bet he thought to himself right as Papa Bludbad was coming at him that he should rather have just phoned. Heheheh! Oh! And how freaky is little baby monster pressing its little monster face up against Adalind's belly skin! *shudder!* Stuff of nightmares!
Flag
Oh SHIT!!!! is right and poor Monroe
Flag
Guys... I think I have figured out where all of this is going. To all those who are complaining about too much focus on Monroe and Rosalee's relationship because there's not enough action...

Possible spoilers?

Based on the preview of the next episode (on the Grimm channel on YouTube), and based on the timing (we're getting pretty close to the season finale), I really think that, in the next episode, Monroe and Rosalee will learn of a very good reason to not be together. And that reason is named, "Verrat." This is what Monroe's parents (or at least his Mom... his Dad seems to have internalized the Verrat's party line) are so afraid of, and sometime in the next episode, they will finally be able to explain that.

And Monroe and Rosalee will be forced to break up, under threat of being "purged" by the Verrat. And they will be absolutely miserable... and Nick will get angry.

After Juliette's coma, and Nick's zombie affliction, Monroe letting Nick stay with him for months, and the countless times Monroe and Rosalee put their lives on the line, or put their lives on hold, for him, Nick owes them so much, and I like to think he knows it. From Nick's perspective, they deserve a happily ever after together, and they are not getting one, because of the threat of the Verrat. Not to mention the general injustice of it all will push against Nick's principles.

This is the final straw that will push Nick into Renard's war. This is what will shape the entire future of the series. And that, in addition to the general adorableness of MonRosalee, is why the show has been spending so much time on them... because their relationship is important to the plot.

(note: this post was rewritten, because tv.com doesn't let us edit. I don't know if there will be a "removed" post below, but if there is, then that is why.)
More+
Flag
I like this theory a lot. However, I dunno if "Inter-Wesen" mingling is prohibited (by Wesen law) or just not culturally acceptable. That's what your theory hinges upon. The Verrat would only get involved if it was of some serious importance...
Flag
You're confusing the Verrat with the Wesen Council. It's the Wesen Council that is in charge of enforcing Wesen law. The Verrat are a totally different entity; they're a militant group of Wesen (mostly Hundtjager) that the Royals regularly employ. They're the ones with that tattoo in their palms.

I think it was established, right around the time Rosalee's brother was killed, that the Verrat do conduct "purges" of Wesen who don't fit their mold of the "right" kinds of pairings, with the intent of keeping the bloodline pure. Kind of like the Ku Klux Klan of the Wesen world. Or at least, they have done such things in the past; I don't think we've ever seen them do it in person.
Flag
Ah, you're right...I was confusing the two. Thanks for the reminder!
Flag
Welcome. :) My apologies for being blunt in my last post, btw. It's not you. :)
Flag
Feburary 28th? Feburary 28TH? FEBURARY FUCKING 28TH? WHAT?!
I mean I love the winter Olympics but damn you a lot of my shows are taking damn hiatuses!!!

Gory, gory fun!!!! I was a little hungover from my Australaia Day celebrations so I had to control urge to projectile vomit vomit on my laptop.

So much cuteness and scalps in the one episode! What a joy!!!!
Flag
I thought last week that with the slow progress, producers might have second guessed themselves in terms of time line to progress Adalin's pregnancy and get it over with...{poof}...apparently gestation time for über wesen babies is only like 6 months. Sure, I'll go with that if for no other reason than to wrap up that arc. Point made. Gore shown. Powers restored. Royal politics established. Done and done.

I was a little disappointed they dodged the whole interspecies relationship with Hank and his therapist, so I don't mind Monroe having parents that are complete jackasses. The opportunity to explore reasoning and culture differences between wesen is too easy to avoid and the inherent bigotry and prejudice is an equally easy tie in to similar real life situations. Though I imagine one ass whoopin' from a zombie Grimm will adjusted their attitudes accordingly and they'll either accept that their son has a Fuchsbau as a bride and a Grimm as a friend or disown him and walk out the door. All will be resolved in the return episode...though I really hope not.

Stupid Olympics!
Flag
I have an issue with the dashboard cam footage from the opening kill we see later on in the episode: It's very clear that the killer's car is in the frame when the trooper gets killed. Obviously, the killer would then have to enter the frame to get back into his car and drive away, yet it's never explained why that wasn't captured on camera. I would have been fine with even a throwaway line about the killer shooting the camera or something but since it wasn't mentioned in any way (that I heard -- feel free to share if you heard them say something about it that I missed), my brain could not move on to the rest of the story.
Flag

Really, Nick?

Flag
From Awww to Oh #*@%!!! in 45 minutes! Loved the endcap card! Couldn't even be mad at this one since it said the same thing I yelled 30 seconds before it popped up... which made me laugh.
Flag
Yep"Nick and Hank began fumbling their way through the case, which has yet to really pick up any steam,"

It has been about 4 weeks since Nick.2 has come into his extra powers and he has not had a good fight since then. The kinder gentler Nick would rather turn things over the the "Councle" then kill someone. This is not what got this show popular, and no one wants to see 60 minutes of talking.
Flag
I don't understand why people think Monroe's parents are so awful... In real life then maybe they would be intolerant assholes, but these are Wessen, and I can really see why the two types wouldn't fit together. Especially not if Monroe lived out his Wessen side completely... The two don't fit together as Wessen, but as people they do. I like Monroe and Rosalee together, but I am a little tired of their storyline in the last episodes. It's all about homemaking, moving in together, meeting each other's parents and relationship issues, getting married and such trivial stuff. I would rather have them in on the action again. They have become what Juliette used to be...

So because of that it wasn't one of my favorite episodes. I loved the end title though - "Oh shit!" :D Those guys are funny. I hate having to wait so long for new episodes - stupid Olympics!
Flag
To be fair, Hank and Adalind were a human-wesen thing more than a black man-blond girl one.

It's simply not so bad when a wesen mates with a human - be that mermaid like Naiads, Hexenbiests or aunt Marie's fiance - than it is when a wesen mates with a wesen of another species.
Flag
I was thinking more in the lines of Monroe being a sort of wild WOLF type of wessen while Rosalee is a "cute Fuchsbau" (prey).
Flag
Louis Farrakhan said the black birds should not mate with a Robin when asked about interracial marriage . That was the sub-text of what Monroe's dad was talking about, so instead of a good fight, we got an Oprah moment.

Last week Hank found a nice girl, a pretty black girl, and I don't see why there are not more black woman instead of the blond girl with the black man. I just think it gets preachy and in-your-face when they try to interject this into shows.

Flag
To be fair, Verrat do kill whatever hint of mixed species in sight: What Monroe just did is not only romantic but pretty damn bold.

Help them Obi-Wan Prince Captain, you're their only hope!
Flag
When was it mentioned that Verrat kill "Inter-Wesen" couples?
Flag
In the footage of Verrat executing wesen that married outside their species hiden in Aunt Marie's trailer (footage also established that Hitler was a Bultbad)
Flag
I think it was a different roll of tape than the one that was about Hitler (I just recently rewatched it, and the Grimm who was recording the Verrat executing those Wesen was either Spanish or from one of the Spanish-American countries. Whereas the footage of Hitler was from "Triumph of the Will."

Also, I think they showed Hitler as a Schakal? That's what he looked like to me. Mainly, I remember having a problem with the internal logic behind Nick being able to see that on film, when there's no reason that regular (not-visible-to-humans) woges should be visible on film, even to a Grimm.
Flag
Righ, right, right...Yeah, they pulled that from themesong I think.
Flag
I just realized something horrible. I think I didn't realize it yesterday, because my mind just wouldn't go there.

The very last thing we see, is Monroe's parent's going full woge, and flying at Nick, and Monroe is throwing himself in between.

What if they (meaning the parents, since Nick was actually backing up and taking a purely defensive stance at the time) wind up hurting Monroe by accident? Like, badly?

I think this might be what happens. I think they will severely injure Monroe, and Nick will have to rally everybody to save Monroe's life and call the paramedics and get Rosalee back to the house, and then she will take charge, while the dad is frozen, and the mom is having a breakdown. Then after the paramedics leave with Monroe (with Rosalee, of course), Nick will be forced to arrest the parents, at which point, he can get to the bottom of the domestic disturbance he'd just walked in the middle of.

Because I really do think there's a lot more to this, than just bigotry. If it were just bigotry, then Monroe's parents would be ashamed of him. And while that is definitely the vibe Monroe's dad is giving off... I don't think that's anything new (Monroe's been dropping hints about what his dad is like, since season 1). But this is more like they're scared. Like, the fact that their son is dating a Fuchsbau, scares them. The mom, especially.

One commenter already mentioned this somewhere below that the parents might be old enough to remember the Verrat purges. I think it might even go further than that. I think they might have witnessed the Verrat purges, or even had family who were involved, and have seen, firsthand, what happens when the "natural order of things" is not enforced.
More+
Flag
On the plus side... if it happens the way I'm imagining, at least this will give Nick a chance to do something significant for Monroe, instead of the other way around. You know, just for a change. :)

One of my biggest gripes with this show is that the friendship between Nick and Monroe, as great as it is to watch, is very... uneven. You can tell that Nick really appreciates Monroe as a friend, but in terms of actually acting on that friendship, it seems like Monroe is the one who's always putting his life on the line (or at least putting his life on hold) for Nick.

Don't get me wrong - there were a few times when Nick had the chance to reciprocate... but in comparison to the fact that Monroe puts his life on hold for Nick in almost every single episode, the times that Nick has done the same for Monroe are very few and far between.

At least if this happens, we'll get to see Monroe actually be better off ,than he would be if he were not friends with Nick, because Nick is actually doing something for him.
More +
Flag
WOW Monroe's parents really suck... Some Wessen are a bit antiquated / intolerant but these two are just awful bigots... I could do with their intense disregard for their grown up son's privacy but their reaction to Rosalee was just completely disrespectful and racist as well as inconsiderate of their own son's feelings & independence... They are Wessen supremacists of the worst kind... Yuk!
So that is bound to put some Monrosalee in romantic limbo right? I guess it had to happen since these two have been consistently happy and the other show couple Nick & Juliette are boring beyond salvation mainly because Juliette is such a boring character (nice enough actress but the character is pointless)... Latest attempt to make her compelling is having her be email in-between Nick and his mum? Seriously, being their 'secretary' is the best thing they came up for her? Just bite the bullet and let her emigrate away from monster-ridden Portland or something (perhaps Nick's-a-zombie plot is going that way?)
The whole royal / Adalind's pregnancy plot is interesting but moving too slowly although the scary baby special effects are nicely creepy
Flag
I think Juliette needs to have an "accident" and Nick is so ridden with grief he has pointless *^% with some random who turns out to be a vesen and while that happens he goes on a Grimm hunting spree and uses his zombie powers. A girl can dream. Your right about the effects with the baby it's creepy and I love it.
Flag
Ha ha... I didn't want to sound too blood thirsty... But that is a scenario I've thought about...
Flag

Is there some Political Correct, social engineering directive going on?

I get it is Science Fiction, but let’s not make this about social fiction.

Flag
Wow they sure crammed a lot into this episode, from the Royals and Adalinds baby due any time , to Nick's mum and even a proposal ,mixed in this was some nasty scalping! Monroe's parents pretty much responded the way I expected them to, Blutbads are meant to be like that aggressive and not very tolerant of other species of wesen. Hope they have a good fight vs Nick and yet again Juliette in small dosages was tolerable, hope they maintain this for the rest of the season/series.
Flag
Stupid gore ruined so many lovely moments between Monroe and Rosalee.

I HATE YOU SO MUCH, OLYMPICS.
Flag
Anybody else thinking the baby is gonna eat and/or tear it's way out of Adalind?
Flag
This was a crazy episode! Between the "trophy hunting" berserker and Monroe's parents being crazy bigoted i'm not sure what to think.

I loved the proposal, it was so unique. I think Rosalee suspected something was up, but she also seemed to expect it at the restaurant. It was kinda' obvious she was a bit disappointed when they returned home and nothing had happened yet. That made the whole cuckoo clock scene that more wonderful and impressive.

I think Monroe has more history between him and his father than he has let on. Not only was he very reluctant to talk to them in the first place, that first hug looked very uncomfortable. It looks like his mother has been a mediator in the past. But to have both of them react to Rosalee like that, and so rudely too, was just unreal.

Nick really needs to learn when NOT to enter a friend's home uninvited!

That freaky trophy hunter is scary and should give Nick a good workout, even with his amped up abilities. We had heard in previous episodes that other Grimms had been being killed all over Europe. I had originally thought that Eric had been solely responsible, but what if this guy is a member of a group that tries to build up enough power to take down a Grimm; it could be a brutal right of passage. I'm really looking forward to seeing Nick give this psycho a Grimm-sized beat down!

I like that Juliette is trying to interact with Nick's mother, but I'm worried too. I don't trust his mother, and I do remember how his Aunt was worried about Nick being in a relationship.

Adalind may be going through a lot of pain, but I'm more worried about what she's carrying. What little we saw was more frightening than the scalper, and it hasn't even been born yet. And like others have mentioned, we really don't know what makes a Royal so special.
More+
Flag
Btw, I gotta feeling by the end of this season Rosalee or Monroe will be given an ultimatum: "give us The Key or else". It has been a long time since The Key was mentioned... I really wanna know what does it open.

Oh, and there's one thing that's been bugging me... why Monroe's parents call him by his last name? xD
Flag
Grimm is an evil show with better cliffhangers during the season than the season's finale. This cliffhanger was... HOLY F&*KING SH#T! Aaaaaargh!! I guess it's better to waitt 3 weeks rather than 4 months but still... I WANNA NEXT EPISODE, LIKE, NAO!!!
Flag
Yay, Monroe proposed! I liked most of the episode, but the monster of the week seemed a bit unnecessary with all the other stuff going on. Can't wait to see how it all turns out when the show comes back.
Flag
Really, really liked this episode, and it definitely kept me eager to find out what happens after the break. Very glad it's not 4 months long again! :)

A few specific shout-outs:
  • "So... what have you told them about me?" "Your name..." "Wow. First, and last?" <-- Nice subtle reference to the fact that we STILL DON'T KNOW MONROE'S FULL NAME!!! *ahem*. Yeah, I know the point of the whole thing is that it's not important... except it is important, to those of us who might want to write a fanfic that involves Monroe being introduced in some official capacity at some point...
  • Loved the entire engagement scene. So, so sweet. Was grinning all the way through.
  • I'm torn in how I feel about Monroe's parents. First, they did drop hints that it's more than just bigotry. Or at least, it's more than just bigotry on his Mom's side. I think she's genuinely concerned about her son's safety. I also feel that Monroe definitely had an inkling that his parents could respond this way, and given that, he really should have told them that Rosalee was a Fuchsbau BEFORE they saw her in person.
  • Did you guys catch the fact that, during the brief shop scene when Monroe's parents called to let him know they were coming, the scene began with the same customer that Monroe gave the wrong stuff to, back when Rosalee was visiting her aunt. The look between them as the customer was leaving... nice little bit of continuity there. :)
  • Is it just me, or is Nick really good at picking up body language when it's a suspect, but really sucky at it when it's one of his friends? Seriously, you go to your friends' house, one of them is upset and leaving in a hurry, you knock on the door, your friend opens the door, and he says, "Nick! Crap!" and gives a panicked look to the side... and so you decide to come in??
Things I'm looking forward to... I'm kind of hoping Monroe's parents do attack Nick, forcing him to subdue them and possibly threaten them with arrests. I think that this might eventually force them to actually listen to Monroe. And, you know, talk with him like rational people. It's very possible that there is a rational reason that they're so against MonRosalee, but they're just not articulating it because they're too worked up.

Regarding the scalping guy... Yeah. Umm... that could be interesting. Not nearly as interesting as the whole thing with Monroe's parents, but it still could lead somewhere really interesting. Looking forward to seeing how that resolves as well. It has been a little while since we've seen a good Grimm fight sequence; I think we're about due. :) And who knows... it may lead to more insight into the zombie powers thing. :)
More+
Flag
Hate cliffhangers, too. Instead of making me keen to tune in next time, I'm annoyed with the show as such. I wonder if the studio people do cliffhangers out of habit, without actually asking their audience?

Anyway, terrible parents. Unfortunately, you can't reasonably argue with racists (or any other ideologist, for that matter). Probably Rosalee will do something wonderful next time, and the parents will have some hollywoody Saulus / Paulus moment. Boring.

The scalping Wesen - a berserker? Really? Berserker are supposed to be Nordic warriors, skilled at battle, who are rewarded with the right to wear a bearskin (hence the word!) and join the Royal Guard. But the etymology is unclear, admittedly. In any case, unrelated to "Wilde Jagd" (wild or ferocious hunt), as Nick's book mentioned.

Kerkyra (where mum's at), for those interested in these things, is also known as the island of Corfu.
Flag
As an audience member, I disagree about cliffhangers. It's just when a season ends on a cliffhanger and then gets cancelled (like The 4400) that I hate them. Otherwise... the only downside is that, by the time the episode airs, I've already imagined so much how I think it will go, in so much detail, that the reality of the episode has its work cut out for it, just meeting my expectations.

But without the cliffhanger, there is no sparking of the imagination. And that sparking of the imagination is what keeps us interested. I was actually kind of bummed about the Krampus episode for this reason (although I did love the MonRosalee bits)... it left me with no breadcrumbs to follow during the break.

That said, I am VERY glad they are only taking off for a month this time, and not four. Last year's mid-season cliffhanger was wonderful, but it was also horrible, because the wait was for way too long. One month is much better.
Flag
Definitely loved this episode. Monrosalee? I like the name!! As for their respective families. Well, they're total nutjobs, especially Monroe's parents. Who the hell do they think they are to just judge Rosalee so quickly like that? It's like whatever her or Monroe said went in one ear and out the other; and now, Nick is REALLY caught in the middle being a Grimm. That ending with the "oh @#*#@" made me LOL though!!! I'm really intrigued to see where this goes.

As for Aadiland, i have no sympathy for that hexenb#%@**!! She got herself in this mess willingly, and even used magic, so let her skanky butt get herself out of it. However, whatever is brewing in her belly is interesting and disturbing at the same time. I thought it would be just wesen too, but it's shaping out to be something much, much worse. This resistance, including Renard, will need all the help they can get.

This scalping wesen is intriguing to me too. Like you said, this episode was quite gory given his methodology with his victims. So, couple that with his resistance to fearing death, and you have yourself one hell of a beast!!

I commend Juliette for taking the initiative to keep in touch with Nick's mom, no matter how dangerous it can, and most likely will, be. She's really jumped into the fold since the season opener. Good for her!!

I also think Nick's power surge started with the zombieism, but now I think this is just his Grimm prowess naturally increasing. For me, there's more to a Grimm than just being able to see people for what they REALLY are. I think the Grimms senses are enhanced, and that zombie state he was in sort of activated them from dormancy.
More+
Flag
Loved the whole Rosalee and Monroe storyline this episode..
You could see that even if they are Wesen, they still have human emotions...
The parents of Monroe suck...!! First upsetting our poor Rosalee and then attacking poor Nick..!!
Adalind and her baby....hope she surives the birth...i mean that is one creepy baby...
Flag
Great episode that really makes me hate the break. People on here have already touched on most of the things I would, but I have 2 or 3 more.
1. I believe that alot of people think that Adilinds pregnancy is going to kill her and therefore aren't worried about her as a person and that this may be typical of Royal births. We always wondered what was different about Royals, well this may be one of them.
2. One of the things we found out from Juliette talking to Nick's mom is that the coins are back in play. Does anybody remember what their powers are?
3. Is it just me or does anybody else get a Kramden/Bunker vibe off of Monroe's parents?
Flag
I think it's a good possibility that Adalind's baby will kill her, but I think that Renard's mother lived, right?
Flag
I think it's heavily implied that the blood from the corpse that Adalind keeps spreading on her belly, simply because, "it's very good for the child," in spite of the fact that, just before it vanishes into her belly, it turns into skulls and spiders and other horror images (seriously, where did Adalind's brain disappear to?)... that stuff is turning Adalind's baby into something else entirely. NOT a normal hexenbiest/zauberbiest child.

Honestly, I'm... a little surprised that not everybody has gotten this impression. She got the stuff from the corpse of another hexenbiest that had been infused with death flowers. She was told by a murderous woman, in a sinister voice, that it's very good for the child. When she spreads it on her belly, it momentarily takes on the image of a skull, or a spider, or something else creepy. Then it vanishes into her belly. And now the baby is doing weird things. Gee. Wonder why.

And she just smiles. And continues to put the stuff on her belly, and continues to just... obey everything Stefania tells her to do, without question.

WHERE is Adalind's BRAIN? Why is it that, in season 2, she was this great mastermind of plots, and managed to single-handedly make both Nick's and Renard's life a total misery, and yet now, she's this passive, gullible, wimpy little...
More +
Flag
Like I said, I don't think they intend for her to survive; but why she doesn't realize it, I don't know.
Flag
Yep, you're most likely right.

But what really gets to me, is this:

Let's say, just for the sake of argument, that Stefania actually intends to make good on her word, and have Adalind give birth and become a hexenbiest again.

If that were the case, then this would not make Adalind smart for obeying Stefania's orders. It would just make her lucky. But still stupid. If she'd ever asked herself the obvious questions... you know, "just who is this woman? What do I know about her? How do I know I can trust her?" - that would have been smart. And, I might add, far, far more in character for Adalind.

This is probably the biggest reason why I've been bored to tears with everything involving Adalind, ever since she left Portland (in S2). It's because, while I've never particularly liked her, at least she used to be smart, and it was fun watching her pitted against Renard. And winning. At a metaphorical game of chess. With Renard. She was a force to be reckoned with.

Now, she's... not. She's really, really not. She's dumb, and whiny, and meekly obedient to Stefania against all common sense. And as a result, she's just a waste of my time. Incredibly boring. Not to mention, an insult... let's see, we have a really smart criminal mastermind who happens to be a woman. Can't have that, so let's turn her into a damsel in distress instead. No explanation necessary; we'll just assume everybody knows that when a woman becomes pregnant, she always loses all ability to think rationally.

Ugh.
More +
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I believe that is what Renard said, but if that baby goes demonic and claws its way out, you would need massive medical or magical care to survive and I don't think the people around Adalind intend for her to survive.
Flag
In addition to what kanniballl just said, they also have kind of a "One Ring" effect on the holder - you know, "Mine. My own. My precious..." As a result, they are often craved simply because they are addictive.
Flag
To add to the one-ring similarties... they apparently can only be destroyed in one place for some reason.
Flag
The coins give you like super charisma and confidence, to the point that hordes of people around you would follow you into fire

i think they implied they were he reason for Hitlers huge rise to power
Flag
This one was way better than the last couple of episodes.

Flag
This was a nice set up episode..parents/in laws dramas for Monroe and Rosalee, the V baby inside Adalind, Renard's plan ( whatever they may be), Juliette becoming the medium for mom Grimm and son Grimm, speaking of Grimm--the people scalping berserker who is coming for Nick, and Nick and papa n mama blutbad Oh #*@%!!! indeed!. Those are new reasons to hate the winter Olympics!!
Flag
- Nice coat. (Yuck) Where can I get one? (Yuck yuck!)
- I love Adalind, so I fear she'll go through the worst labor process she could imagine and she might not even survive. What does a poor girl have to go through to get her dark powers back? That's simply not fair.
- Claire Coffee is well-versed in the arts of bitchcraft.
- Honestly, I think it was all Monroe's fault. When there are potential "suprises" about your fiancee, you tell your parents in advance to avoid any potential embarrassments. She's black, she's a communist, she's blind, she's a Fuchsbau... Tell them everything beforehand and let them deal with their prejudices on their own first. But honestly I'm more surprised Rosalee's mother wasn't the one to have problems with the relationship. I would if I though my son-in-law could literally eat my daughter.
- Darned Olympics. If I want to watch the Olympics, I tune in some sports channel. I watch NBC for its good scripted shows like Grimm, Dracula, the Blacklist...
Flag
Meh, I blame the parents more than Monroe. They are apparently super racist... and Monroe implied that while he knew they were old fashioned he WAS surprised about how racist they were.

They really didn't give him a lot of time... a single phone call where they were annoying him. After that first phone call he probably figured he'd talk to them more over the next few months.

But instead they just called later and said "On our way, see you soon, hugs and kisses"

If your partner's ethnicity or whatever doesn't matter to you, then you wouldn't lead the conversation with it. If you knew your parents were racist then you might say something to prepare them but Monroe was shocked at what huge d-bags they were acting like it
Flag
Grimm rules are not very clear. On the one hand, Monroe and Rosalee make things seem totally natural, while his parents reacted as if Bludbaden and Fuchsbaus are natural enemies. It seemed to me they reacted a little like animals would. And some dogs get along with cats while others hate them naturally.
Flag
I think their might be more to Monroe's parent's reaction than regular racism. I think they are old enough to remember Verrat purges, and they have a legitimate fear if they get married and have children the Verrat will come for them.
Flag
I think it was the better episode of the last few episodes. But then it did have the fewest amount of Juliette. And her emailing Nick's Mom is going to lead to something bad. Why? Because she is Juliette.

Monroe and Rosalee were adorable in the proposal and the prep work that they did for his giant asshole parents. Seriously I have met my fair share of girlfriends parents and have pretty much ran the spectrum between way too overly nice and giant douchebags. And Monroe parents really set a whole new level of giant douchebags. I mean I get the whole no intermixing of specie thing. But you don't have to be giant asshats about it. And it isn't like there are hard rules against it. Monroe and Rosalee aren't the first intermixed Wesen couple we have met. And they seemed a little over the top bigoted about it all.
Them seeing Nick as the Grimm is going to turn out to be a lot of fun.

Adalind and Renard's story is finally coming to a head. I like the slow burn and the slow introduction of characters that apparently are going to be important to whenever this show takes their European jaunt. But it has been slow and only fun. It hasn't really deepened the story to where it should be. I mean this has been going on for a while, you would think we could get a little more information about the Royals and the resistance and the rest.

Also whatever happened to Nick's key. I know they found out that it was in Europe and I know Rosalee hid it. But are they going to circle back to that because that seemed way more interesting.
More+
Flag
That was excellent, although it did all feel a bit crammed-in.
They had good plots to concentrate on, with the Royals, Rosemary's Adalind's baby, Monrosalee and Nick's mom, so I'm not sure that they really needed the scalping Weson-of-the-week as well. That would have been fine for a future episode.

I was trying to remember the other week what happened to those coins that everyone seemed to be after, I guess nothing!
I must confess I found Adalind's baby belly a bit freaky at times!

A shame we have to wait another month until the next episode, but I think it was about 4 months last year, so I won't complain too much.
Flag
With the coins, they are now loose in the world again. Do you remember what their powers were?
Flag
This was the best show of the season. There are four story lines to follow;

1) Monrosalee, that's cute. It also gave the two more air time they deserved. The near fight with Monroe's parents and Nick was a cool ending to see how this conflict ends.

2) The baby Princes in Europe, now who is the baby-daddy? I hope for a road trip to Europe to clean up this mystery and also clean up the Renard family business.

3) The killer scalp hunter is now zeroed in on Nick. I hope this concludes in a big fight where Nick kills something as it has been about four weeks since the kinder gentler Grimm has had a good fight.

4) Kind of glossed over was Nick's mom getting closer to Juliette in the emails from Greece. It is funny how she disappeared and why she is in Europe and who is following her? I bet she is still in Portland.

It was one of those shows where you said "cool" at the end.

Flag
I am genuinely puzzled by some of the negativity this episode seems to drawing. I thought this was a very reasonable episode overall. Not the best, but certainly not the worst by any means.

The proposal was sweet, charming and "rightly" totally in character! Monrosalee's big moment in the spotlight worked for me.

Some may feel this was some sort of filler episode because of Monrosalee content. I simply do not see that.

The issue of Wesen sensing and not sensing, etc has personally for me got very confusing. I am not sure there is any clear logic to this story element anymore. It does need resolving or at least clarifying again.

What I was fascinated by was being reminded how many prejudices do exist within the "Grimm Geschichte Welt". I got so comfortable the very liberal, friendly and understanding view all the main characters Human/Wesen, Wesen/Human, Wesen/Wesen, Human/Grimm, etc take with their relationship that it was a pleasant shock to see both Roselee and Monroe's parent reacting the way they did.

Love will win or it should out and it is not like Roselee or Monroe necessarily had too comfortable relationships with their parents and family generally anyway!

Yes I have to admit the Adalind birth/royal thing is leaving me indifferent. It is being drawn out for whatever reason and therefore just seems tedious.

It is good to see some action and see some story getting back to The Royals have a "Grimm" problem and want to fry Nick! Lets see how a Wesen Berserker does against Nick the clearly newly supercharger Grimm!
Grimm 2.0!
More+
Flag
What's "Grimm Geschichte Welt"?
Flag
Hi just being a bit flippant being half German. Grimm Story World...
Flag
My understanding, Monroe's parents could tell because Blutbodt have super-strong senses of smell. Monroe has demonstrated that a bunch in the past... so the parents probably smelled the Fuchsbou on her when they hugged.

Meanwhile, the captain doesn't have that super-smell thing so he wouldn't automatically know someone was a Wessen. Though why he didn't notice radiation-man shift is a bit odd.

But yeh... the whole question of "when exactly do they see the other Wessen do their thing" is a bit off. They tried to clear that up with Monroe chatting with Hank about "If I don't want you to... you wont / but if I want you to... you will" But Wessen-to-Wessen is still strange.
Flag
Generally I think you must be right. There is also unless I am wrong Wesen recognising and not recognising Nick as Grimm. Though your explanation likely clears that up as well.
Flag
Wesson recognize Nick as a Grimm when they see his face as they Woge. Some viewers think it's just that they realize Nicks face react. Others thing it's more, that perhaps his face becomes recognizable to them as they change or he has a kind of Woge only Wessen can see. But if that were the case I'm sure Monroe would have mentioned something
Flag
Its not just me that thinks that baby has some crazy alienesque shit goin on?
Flag
I could not care less about Monroe and Rosalee's relationship. I did not sign up for a show about love and marriage. I was promised action, not Austen! All I can say is part 2 of this episode better be the most amazing hour of television on Grimm yet or I'm gonna quit this show. (Ok, I won't quit, but I'll be really pissed and I'll probably swear at the TV and fast-forward through everything).
Flag
It is this Hollywood thinking to bring in personal relationships to a story line.

Same thing happened on 'Big Bang', four social awaked Nerds move in next door to a hot lady. Next you know the Nerds are banning girls all over the place. so much for the premise of social awkward. If the girls were so interesting, why not have a show of their own?
Flag
How did they just end it like that. I loved this episode, the scalping was just downright discusting and when he wore it as a coat that guy needs serious help and a chopped of head. Although I'm expecting one hell of and episode next week with some amazing Nick Grimm action can't wait.
Flag
Next week??? Nope not till feb 28th if memory serves
Flag
Thanks I didn't know that.
Flag
Yeah you can thank the olympics
Flag
Yep he burned a photo of Nick in the campfire and looks like he is going to hunt him down. This better be a 15 minute fight and Nick better not try to talk him to death. It has been a long time since the new and enhanced Grimm has had a fight. I also want to see more of Hank, Wu and police work.
Flag
Your right he hasn't used his new found ability as a whole unit yet to fight a bad vesen
Flag
Also, the "Wesen can automatically sense a Grimm when they're in their natural form" thing seems... I don't know, a little overplayed? I get that the Wesen might have evolved some kind of sense to detect their hunters, but shouldn't the Grimms have developed some kind of countermeasure? It seems like your prey automatically being able to tell you're after them would have made it very difficult to actually do your job.
Flag
I always thought that Grimms have a "Wesen face" which the show hasn't shown us yet. So when wesens transform, they can see the grimm's face which is hidden from them when they are not transformed. I came to this conclusion because wesens can't sense Nick, even when they are transformed, if they don't look at him. I'm really curious to see Nick's real face though.
Flag
If so, shouldn't that be different now because Nick is Zombie Grimm? That's something that they should pursue: they're not just afraid of him because he's a Grimm, but because he's a Zombie Grimm.
Flag
Not necessarily. Nick's face didn't change when he became a zombie. He is just more pale sometimes. Same way, his Grimm face may not have changed, just become paler.
Flag
He has heartbeat. It is just slower (remember the test? 30bpm). And he can eat, go to toilet etc so I guess his body is producing smells as well. I really can't follow your logic.
Flag
Well, that and he doesn't have much of a heartbeat... :) You'd think his smell would be off as well.
Flag
My understanding is wesen don't sense grimm they can just tell when they have been seen (i guess its just the way people always react when they see it).
Flag
But Wesen can see other Wesen transform, right? And certainly there are certain Wesen that are shocking to see. Like some of the obscure ones that show up. So how does a Wesen know that Nick is startled because he's a Grimm, and not because he's a Wesen seeing a Koschei or a Wildesheer or a Krampus for the first time?
Flag
I wish they'd clarify what exactly Renard does as a captain. First in "Red Menace" (where they kind of had the excuse that he was the only one who speaks Russian, since Portland PD employs neither Spanish nor Russian translators) and now in tonight's episode, he seems to be going out on cases. Yeah, tonight's guy was a cop killer (or at least a highway patrolman killer), but do police captains really ride along on those types of cases?
Flag
I would think that a captain has a lot of leeway, whereas a commissioner(ie think Gordan) , which is a political appointee, would not.
Flag
Too much of Adalind. Her story is taking too much space. Also cliffhangers are not My favourite.
Flag
Yep - I love Adalind cause she is so witchy & mean, ready to sell her baby to an unknown power just to get back her heckenbeast (or something) power... but I agree with you, the pregnancy plot should have taken a back step until labour comes or just have her have the baby... Dragging a plotline like this makes it a lot less interesting, every time there is a scene in Vienna I switch off...
Flag
They seem intent on making us feel every single painful moment of her pregnancy.
Flag
I totally agree, Gislef!
Flag
God knows what was happening in the weekly Wessen hunt, I zoned out at those bits. The Monrosealee proposal was seriously delightful. What girl needs Paris after a proposing cuckoo clock!
Flag
"God knows what was happening in the weekly Wessen hunt"

Nothing. And since it's a two-parter, the relevant parts will be recapped on 2/28 and we'll get the actual resolution then.
Flag
I'll still probably zone out!
Flag
It seems interestingly enough. At least it has some personal stakes for Nick, who did jack-all this week like he has for most of the last several episodes.
Flag
As I zoned out at those bits, I'll have to wait for the re-cap.
Flag
Oh Grimm.....
Flag
I also hate cliffhangers. This show is still one of my favorites. I could definitely do without the family drama. All in all tonight's episode was another good one.
Flag
Hate cliffhangers but this show always manage to make me laugh when they have to hit us with a cliffhanger, seriously oh shit indeed lol. Really makes me hate the Olympics though haha.
Flag
I vote we just cancel the Olympics and have our regular programming back. It's a win-win: no one gets blown up in Russia, Putin doesn't have to talk to gay people, and I can have all of my shows back.
Flag
Lol:D... Amen to that
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:30 pm
    Judge Judy
    NEW
    CBS
  • 9:00 pm
    What Would You Do?
    NEW