A Grimm Community
Friday 8:00 PM on NBC (Returning Fall 2016)

Grimm S03E09: "Red Menace"

Well, hello there boys and girls! With Krampus Claus safely neutralized for at least another year and 2014 officially upon us, it's time to pick the confetti out of our hair, find our AWOL underpants, and start the slightly nauseated crawl back to the warm glow of the television—our teacher, mother, secret lover and all that (MISSED YOU!). Oh, and if you totes forgot that Grimm returned on Friday until like five minutes ago like moi (thanks, Jen!) it's cool. You really didn't miss much. 

Grimm most decidedly went with the "ease 'em into it" approach to drawing its audience back in with what basically amounted to a filler episode. "Red Menace" wasn't a terrible filler episode by any means; it actually felt a bit like a Season 1 episode with its general apathy toward everything that was happening on the screen at a given time.  Another day, another Wesen—this time in Russian. You could tell they were Russian because of the word "red" in the episode title and also the copious amounts of vodka that made an appearance. It was like staring into my own liquor cabinet, except this gang was supposed to be wealthy, so I guess they weren't indulging in $8 bottles of raspberry Burnett's.  

The Grigori Rasputin parallels were a nice touch, and is it sad that as soon as a "Russian healer Wesen" was confirmed to be a thing I just knew Rasputin was going to get a mention? Predictable, Grimm, like a lot of this episode. I don't think I would have minded the lack of excitement and progress that we enjoyed in the mid-season finale if the first half of the season hadn't been so freaking great. (It even made my list of 2013 awesomeness!) I've got all appendages crossed that things pick up again next week. Everyone gets an off-week now and then—it just blows when it coincides with the mid-season premiere. 

However, all was not lost! Grimm remembered Nick's weirdo zombie superpowers and gave 'em a nod. Renard's super-secret trip to the old country culminated with a tense chat in a cafe with Preggo Adalind and her (probably evil) monster fetus. Renard was all "YOU IN DANGER GIRL," and Adalind was like, "Meh," but also kind of surprised that the Royals probably weren't just keeping her around and housing her in a swank hotel with all the room service she could ever want out of the goodness of their hearts. I was bummed that Renard didn't stick around and Grimm didn't treat us to epic, snarky, hate-sex-filled adventures for him and Adalind, but I guess Renard had to go back to Portland for reasons—maybe to conveniently translate some of the Russian for Hank and Nick and cut down on the subtitle abuse. 

However, the subtitle abuse pales in comparison to the abuse of my soul in the form of a lack of Monroe and Rosalie action. WHAT THE H WAS THAT, GRIMM

I don't want to talk about it. I expect an entire episode dedicated to Rosalie and Monroe going toaster shopping at some point this season to make up for the absence of their perfection in "Red Menace." 

If there was one great constant tying "Red Menace" to the exceptional first half of the season, though, I gotta hand it to the Grimm Powers That Be for the total revamp of Juliette. We got to see her at work! We got to see her being the sort of sassy vet who makes pet owners feel bad for sucking at pet care! We got to see her take in an old friend in a tough spot who... happens to be a Wesen married to another Wesen, a couple who managed to keep their identities under wraps from Nick for however long they've known one another? Okay. 

That nitpick aside, the Alicia-and-Joe storyline has the potential to be pretty great and build on the culture/world-clash that the back half of Season 2 and first half of Season 3 embraced so well. Grimm has, over time, made its non-human characters increasingly human. Alicia and Joe are trapped in a particularly human predicament. I'm not sure what Grimm's angle is in making them into a Wesen couple struggling with domestic abuse, but I honestly think that the best thing the show could do now that the (literal) cat is out of the bag is to make the Wesen aspect irrelevant. Unless we're talking about something inherently Wesen that's feeding into the turmoil in their relationship—like the fundamentalist issues plaguing the Naiads in "One Night Stand"then why would the biology of the characters even matter in this situation? 

As the Wesen become more human, Nick's zombie powers have decidedly made him a little bit monstrous—at least in the eyes of Juliette—who was especially freaked out about Nick's lack of sweating after a vigorous jog.  I like where this is going, Grimm. (Can we not have another Juliette/Nick break-up-over-Grimm-stuff though? Please?)

All in all, Grimm's post-holiday return wasn't bad—it was just sort of rudimentary. We had our Wesen-of-the-week and the attached minor lesson about forgiveness. We hit, however briefly, on the strings left dangling at the end of the mid-season finale: Nick still has zombie powers, Adalind is still in Vienna; it's like someone ticked the plot points off of a checklist. I wanted more, but there's still a whole bunch of episodes left in this season to give us more. It's okay—I'll wait. 

ALL ABOARD AUNT MARIE'S BOOKMOBILE OF CRAZY

– Hank asked out his massage therapist. She turned him down. Womp womp. 

– "I'll make you something to eat... and then get you a glass of wine." Attagirl, Juliette. 

– Irradiated hives-man in the bathtub was a bit much. 

– What did you think of "Red Menace?"

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/20/2016

Season 5 : Episode 22

139 Comments
Comments (139)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
only thing that bothered me with this ep - distracted really - was the "russian" people who spoke russian with an english accent... hm....The capt spoke better than most of them. kinda ruined the authenticity for me...
Flag
The case of the week had an interesting idea behind it but the execution was less than stellar. I liked the episode overall but most of it was forgettable except for Sasha Roiz speaking Russian (more please) and the rather cool looking design for the Koschei woge.

I'm not sure what to think of Juliet's friend's plotline. It strikes me as a bit superfluous but I suppose Juliet does need something to do. I mean, when she's not cuddling with Nick. Having seen the episode after this, I'm still not convinced that this subplot has value beyond passing the Bechdel Test.

Other things I liked: Renard and Adalind's cafe rendezvous was well-acted and had nice character beats, Nick's weirdly happy reaction to seeing Renard back at the office (i mean, wth was up with that? it was odd but i liked it anyway), the ghostbusters moment (even before the music cued up i was snorting), and Hank possibly getting a love interest.
Flag
Oh, one spot of bother though:

How come Renard couldn't see what Nick saw when Mishkin was healing the kid with the injured cheek? Is it because it wasn't a full woge? Or is it just a Grimm thing? Or a Renard being only half-wesen thing? I'm confused.
Flag
Juliette has gotten better as a character in the third season. I like her not being a crybaby or irrelevant. Her abilities as a vet comes in handy. I never disliked her, but she is not annoying now.

This episode was perhaps the weakest so far in the third season IMO, but I love this show. It is so underrated. I hope it goes on for many seasons.
Flag
I really liked the episode. I love that they don't forget Nick's zombie powers and am looking forward to seeing what will happen with that.
I also liked that Captain Renard came back to Portland. I couldn't care less what will happen to Adalind so Renard coming back to the gang was nice.

I also loved the fact that as far as I could see it was a human killer this week and not a wesen and that the wesen was trying to atone for his previous murders by killing himself slowly. That was a really nice chance.

I didn't even realise that Rosalee wasn't even in the episode before it was mentioned in the review so even though I love Rosalee and Monroe the episode more than made up for her not being in it.

And I really like the way Juliette is at the moment.
Flag
I agree, it was really good to see a murder case where the killer was just a regular person. They nicely found a way around the "how do we keep it 'Grimm' without having every single homicide be because of a Wesen?" problem. Nice work, writers! :)
Flag
I was surprised by Nick knowing Renard was directly involved in his brother death (one things is having suspicions, but I don't remember he was "in the secret"),
I liked the Russians storyline, but all the rest sounded quite messy to me. The Red Hood reference to the first episode, Hank and his sudden interest in a therapist we have never seen, Alicia and his husband (personally, I think she will be the dangerous one,Nick) . It was all too much.
Flag
This was a great episode, I like the ongoing plot of nicks zombie powers and how he's coming to terms with them and embracing them where Juliette's response to his lack of sweating well look if your that concerned tell rosellee who may be able to tell you something useful. Any way another great episode.
Flag
Juliette's glass of wine line made me laugh too. Good to know she has her priorities straight. :)
Flag
I give this review a thumbs down as you didn't address Juliette as "not-useless-Juliette". I always chuckle when I read that :)
Flag
Randomly...so is Nick finally going to pull the whole, hey Renard and Adalind, you killed my aunt who was basically my mother. I keep thinking that every time you think about Adalind's inevitable return to Portland to keep holding onto the revenge factor of her mother's death against Nick when a) he didn't actually do it and b) she had a hand in Marie's death.

But my other comment besides the other blahness of the episode (which was fine, see my earlier comments) I kind of thought the opening was awesome. It was a throw back to the pilot, the woman was wearing a red hoodie, I was legitimately freaked out for her and preparing that she was this week's victim and then startled when it was our Nick (and concerned that he is giving off freaky vibes) and you know the writers are going to gleefully be teasing us with Nick and his zombie stuff for the whole rest of the season and might not even tell us (I so see them about to figure it out and episode ends and then a snarky, see you next fall). Like, I almost want to start a drinking game, Juliette or Hank notes something odd and Nick acknowledges, yeah, that's weird and then distraction.
More+
Flag
About the woman running. That is how the very first episode of Grimm began, I think the point was showing us that our Grimm has done a lot of progress and his new powers that allowed him not to sweat doing what took him a lot of effort before.
Flag
I started off wondering what I was watching. Nick going for a power jog -> Renard and Adalind chatting -> some Russian dude healing (presumably in Russia) -> back to the US -> back to Russia. It wasn't immediately clear that they were just Russian characters and not actually in Eastern Europe...which I don't think is a stretch given the Renard situation. Felt a little yo-yo'like

Other random thoughts...

1. Juliette's friend being revealed as vessen...AWESOME! That could be a lot of fun

2. How many languages to Sasha Roiz speak? His French is exceptional and while I don't speak Russian, that sound pretty good to me.

3. I was REALLY hoping that when we saw Hank's therapist, who's way to pretty to be a therapist, that she wasn't going to immediately be a possible love interest. I know pushing together seemingly the only two black people in Seattle might make sense...but c'mon Grimm producers, really?
Flag
Sasha Roiz speaks about four languages, I think. English, obviously. And French for growing up in Montreal or Toronto (not sure which). His Russian is from his native Russian parents. And he's said in an interview that he knows a little Hebrew as well (Jewish background).
Flag
Call me shallow, but I would tune in to watch Sasha Roiz read a Cheerio's box for an hour. More Renard is always a good thing. And Sgt. Wu always gets the best lines. Who are you going to call.....
Flag
I agree that the episode was pretty "meh".

On the point of how Nick could be unaware of the fact that Juliette's friend was Wesen, I don't find it particularly strange at all.
Nick's powers didn't awaken until about two years ago.
Most Wesen only woge in times of extreme stress - as Alicia seems to live some distance from Portland/Juliette, with an abusive and probably jealous husband, it's entirely possible that she hasn't even SEEN Nick in that time period, much less been around him enough to woge in front of him.

I think the reason Nick gets to see so many Wesen woge is because he tends to meet them in stressfull situations - as murder suspects, when they've been attacked or lost a loved one, etc. - or when THEY find out what HE is and react to that.
Flag
I agree with that. I think the two couples didn't see each other very often, and in good social circumstances. Maybe Alicia spoke to Juliette more, but Nick has not so much contact. Remember Nick call her "your friend".
Flag
Nick, Hank, and Wu would make great Ghostbusters or Wesenbusters
Flag
Perhaps one of the best pop culture referrences I've see on any show in a while
Flag
Ya for sure
Flag
I Love this show.!! I must say their show wardrobe is on eof the best ( after Suits ofcourse)
Anyone know what brand of pants and shirts the guys wear. I love Hanks pants and Capt. Renards shirts are just awesome. He's always well dressed.
Flag
Since you like well-dressed characters, you should check out Person of Interest for Harold Finch (played by Michael Emerson). His suits get more and more gorgeous by the season. Seriously. I think he may be the best dressed man on TV right now. Renard comes in second. Not referring to the guys in Suits or Mad Men though. They're always dressed in business attire which tends to blacks/blues/grays. I love that Renard in Grimm always has a spot of color on him (usually in gorgeous patterns in his ties) even though his suits are actually conservative enough to pass for a police captain. Finch's suits almost always involve beautiful blends of color that involve everything from his jacket, vest, shirt, tie, and pocketsquare.

I'm sorry for going off tangent there. :P

And I agree, Grimm has great wardrobe design. I love that all the characters' clothes really fit their personalities and dispositions.
Flag
"why would the biology of the characters even matter in this situation?"

A few different reasons:
  • Wesen are, in fact, not the same as regular humans. In particular, they have different instincts. This could actually play out in a way that's different from the way real-life or dramatized human domestic violence plays out.
  • According to the Wiki, who are probably right (nobody's actually told us this in the show, but I trust that some rabid fan successfully diagnosed what Joe is after seeing him Woge for one second onscreen), Joe is a Klaustreich. If that's true, and Alicia is a Fuchsbau (much easier to diagnose, because we all know exactly what a Fuchsbau looks like now), this is a major opportunity for a good Monroe intervention! Monroe hates Klaustreicher (not sure if that's the plural form of the word, but I'm going with that). He really hates how women fall for them and then tend to get abused. And he's very protective, just in general. And with Alicia being a Fuchsbau, like Rosalee... at least, I really, really hope that there will be something along this line. It doesn't have to be all Monroe (in fact, it looks like it'll be mostly Juliette), but I'm really hoping this plot will involve him, in more than just a "helper" capacity.
  • The fact that Alicia is an old friend gives Juliette a stake in this. Which gives her a good reason to punch (presumably) Joe in the face, as we've been seeing in the previews since the mid-season finale. Which, in turn, leads viewers to question how Juliette can hold her own against a Wesen. Which could be a major plot point. If Joe were just a regular human, it wouldn't mean nearly as much, except that Juliette knows how to throw a punch.
  • Also, as Laurpr2 mentioned, the fact that Joe is Wesen gives Alicia good reason to doubt that Nick and Juliette can protect her from him. At least, until she learns that Nick is a Grimm (which she will eventually).
  • Until Alicia learns that Nick is a Grimm, this (the fact that they are Wesen) adds several layers of drama. On top of being on the run from an abusive husband, there are things she can't tell Nick and Juliette, she doesn't know Nick knows, Nick can't tell her without running the risk of freaking her out and causing her to panic and leave, and Nick (probably out of respect for Alicia's privacy) can't tell Juliette what he knows. It's a whole thing. :)
More+
Flag
I am legitimately glad I'm not the only one who was desperately missing MonRosalee. I'm looking forward to the upcoming episodes where we meet their families. Maybe there will be some toaster-shopping. But it seems like we may soon be overrun with subplots if we weren't already...
Flag
"why would the biology of the characters even matter in this situation?"
I think because it makes him stronger and more dangerous; she's afraid he'll hurt Nick.

Also, why the hate on this episode? I quite liked it: IMO it's nice for shows that start off as procedural and then become heavily serialized to return to their roots in a stand-alone episode. Plus I found the Russian KGB-assassin-turned-healer guy and his story really interesting.
Flag
Saw the trailer of next week and can't wait that Julliete takes it on with Joe the bad boyrfriend/Wesen of Alicia...is she not the same wesen as Rosalee..??
Flag
I don't recall, Rosalee is VERY fox-like... coloring, nose-appearance, etc. She's a Fuchsbau, and I think Fuchs in German is Fox.

Didn't Alicia have different coloring? I know coloring isn't everything but considering there are only so many variations of furry-dog-faced-effects they can do I have to wonder if it matter there.
Flag
I think she was a Fuchsbau. I was trying to identify what the boyfriend was, though. I wonder if they are opening the door for conversations about 2 different types of Wesen being together. The previews show Rosalee visiting her mom, and they sorta discussed what happens when 2 different types of Wesen have children a few episodes ago.
Flag
Regarding Nick not knowing that Juliette's friend, Alicia, is a Wesen:

To add to what mdoz34 said earlier, my impression was that this was some old high school or college friend of Juliette's, and this is the first time Nick has seen either of them since before he learned about the Wesen world. He's only been a full-fledged Grimm for about 2 and a half years at this point, after all.

They clearly live some distance away, as Alicia called during the day (it looked like morning), got right in her car too quickly to remember to bring her cell phone charger, and drove straight to Portland, arriving... at night. So it's unlikely they see each other often... probably Juliette just talks to her by phone, and they meet whenever their schedules allow, which is probably once every few years.
Flag
Agreed, he's only been "seeing things" for a little while now... just prior to the Pilot. Meanwhile my take on the friend is she isn't over very often... and even still Nick would only have seen her Wessen face is she was upset or agitated.

Granted a beaten-spouse would be often agitated. But if Nick was seeing her often, he would have stepped up as a cop by now.

So I agree: old friend who isn't over often.
Flag
I really enjoyed last night's episode of Grimm. The storyline is one that I liked a lot. I have to say in my humble opinion it is a bad idea for Hank to have asked out his physical therapist. I also liked the story about the domestic abuse and how it was handled.
Flag
Oh and perhaps I should've noted, in the interview Mishkin moged out and yet Hank and Capt' sat there like stone, which was messed, to say the least as they both, obviously, do so otherwise of late. Mishkin going nuclear reactive in front of me would have had me covering my nethers with my hands at the very least. 0_0
Flag
I liked the episode and thought it's getting back into stride - disregard Red Riding Hood jogger, it's a divide.
However what I did find odd, was after the Hell awful drawn out bit with Juliette; over WTH is going on and the invasive you have to tell me everything bit - by her -, was why Nick didn't cough up a fur ball and tell her friend is, well, sporting pussy? After the shit he got last time round I can only ever imagine him coughing into his hand as he looks at Juliette and going Wesssssen! And that whole Hank and his 'skiing' or whatever accident is grating. Poor writing.
OK one more thing, the Wesen can't tell other Wesen until they see the woge pisses me off. But ever more so is that they mix/marry etc. with ones that have an innate disposition to beat/eat them. Yes they have higher thought but humans kill each other when angered and when you couple that with predisposition...ARE YOU MAD...said the frog to his poisoned and/or drowned friend - it's a biblical reference, pay attention.
I feel myself saying; I can only wish this show had the freedom of, say the X Files or some Brit' outing to make us go, EEWWW!
More+
Flag
Well, it IS a personal thing. It's kind of like saying "You realize your friend is really a closeted homosexual, right?" Boundaries. Though, in this case it might help if Juliette knew there was a solid chance an angry Wessen would come knocking at the door.

In Alicia's case, she's in a semi-fragile state. Leaving her abusive husband is tough enough... finding out she's currently under the same roof as a Grimm MIGHT make her freak out and leave. Recall, most of the timid Wessesn are insanely afraid of Grimms.
Flag
Safety of your loved one has to top that of their sanctuary seeking friend.
I'm sure I wouldn't give a toss if my friend was gay - closeted or otherwise. Just saying.
Flag
I'm actually replying to your latest post, not to this one. :)

Regarding Mishkin woge-ing... I'm pretty sure only Nick could see it. In fact, unless it's pointed out to be otherwise, we can take it as a given that only Nick can see the woge. It's pretty rare for a Wesen to do a "full" woge, that regular humans can see.

A "first-stage" woge (that Grimms can see, but humans can't) is usually accidental, but it can also be deliberate, as when Monroe did it when demonstrating for Hank (he demonstrated both versions). They seem to do it when "feeling" each other out a lot... both for feeling out a Grimm and for feeling out other Wesen. A "full" woge (that regular humans can see) is much rarer, and strongly frowned upon by the Wesen council. Mishkin wouldn't have done it in the interview room, where there are cameras, even if he was in the presence of people who already knew about the Wesen world.

When Mishkin did the woge in the interview room, Nick could see it. It's unknown whether Renard could or not - he tends to play things close to the chest. Hank could not see it.
More +
Flag
Yeah but it seems odd, as he certainly appeared to have done the full monty in that he was blatant about and seemed expectant that everyone in the room could see it. His asking what the others were too further made it feel open house and he didn't care any more about convention as he knew he was tip toeing off his mortal coil soon enough. Hank's seeing or not is also a bit hit n miss of late though. Cap't Renard is a slippery fish for sure.
Flag
But the thing is, that's completely beside the point. The point is, if somebody tells you (to use the above example), "You realize your friend is really a closeted homosexual, right?"... this person is telling you something that's they don't have the right to tell you. It's not theirs to tell.

Basically, Nick is in a no-win situation right now, and will continue to be in a no-win situation until it concludes (probably with Alicia seeing Nick as a Grimm).
  • He could talk to Alicia, find out what her husband is, and be prepared. Except she would wonder how Nick knows about her and the Wesen world, and he would have no choice but to tell her that he's a Grimm, and then there's a very real possibility that she would panic, run away from the safety of their home, and get killed by her husband. Nick's a cop; he knows how these situations often play out.
  • He could talk to Juliette, but that would be wrong. He doesn't have the right to reveal Alicia's secrets to Juliette. Those secrets aren't Nick's to tell. Especially since Alicia isn't even aware that Nick knows.
  • He could talk to Alicia and Juliette together, but there's no way to ask Alicia for permission to reveal her secret life to Juliette, without actually revealing Alicia's secret life to Juliette in the process.

Plus, keep in mind that Nick was in a state of mild shock when he saw Alicia woge. "I've got to go put the room in the bag." :) He'd known her, probably almost as long as he'd known Juliette, as a friend of Juliette's. It's always a bit of a shock to discover a whole other side of somebody you thought you knew. :)
More +
Flag
Oh and perhaps I should've noted, in the interview Mishkin moged out and yet Hank and Capt' sat there like stone, which was messed, to say the least as they both, obviously, do so otherwise of late. Mishkin going nuclear reactive in front of me would have had me covering my nethers with my hands at the very least. 0_0
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Oh, one last reply (sorry, I keep running into things I want to reply to, and tv.com won't let me just edit one post):

As for Alicia marrying a... I think everybody has concluded that he's a Klaustreich? That's what the Grimm wiki says, anyway. A Klaustreich is established as a kind of Wesen that gives off powerful pheromones that make women swoon. More than swoon... the women become almost fanatical in their abject devotion. They, in turn, typically have very little respect for women (which actually makes sense: anyone would be contemptuous of women, if his only experience with women, for his whole life, is that they always would be willing to kiss his feet if he asked).

The amazing thing in this situation isn't so much that Alicia fell in love with Joe; it's that she was able to leave him.

Which brings me to Juliette - the previews show her saying, "I'm not impressed," and punching Joe (presumably it's Joe) in the face. How is she immune to his influence? Hmm...

Also, if it's true that he is a Klaustreich, not to mention his wife is a Fuchsbau, like Rosalee, the writers has better get Monroe involved in this plot, somehow! If they don't, I will be severely disappointed. :)
More +
Flag
Belated self-correction: apparently, while the wikia does conclude that Joe is a Klaustreich, either I was somehow confused about what a Klaustreich is, or the wikia page has been recently changed. Regardless, now, the wiki page for Klaustreicher state that the way Klaustreicher get women is not through pheromones (probably), but rather that they probably just charm women through natural charisma.
Flag
Interesting points but I'm still of the mind Nick should've had words with both, as both women are in potential danger. Alicia's fear of her nutty husband should be worse than Nick. I'd certainly prefer to live with a killer grimm cop as he's with an old friend's partner, than be on the run from a psycho wesen. But yeah it's hard enough to escape oppressive relationships per se, let alone one from a pheromone rapist of sorts and swap that for a hunter's household where you're known to be prey!
Perhaps it's only wesen females that he has the effect on - I haven't had time to read the write up on wiki for the species.
Yeah I have to admit to feeling that they've 'neutered' Monroe a bit since Hank has been in the know and he's been with Rosaleee - he tore a guy's arm off once afterall!!
Flag
(btw, just so you know, Alicia's a Fuchsbau, which makes her a canine Wesen (foxes are canine), not feline. :) )
Flag
Regarding why Nick hasn't said anything about Alicia being Wesen: my guess, it's probably just because Alicia was just beaten up by her husband, ran away from home, and is scared to death. The last thing she needs is to know that's she's run to the home of a Grimm... somebody that's the subject of horror stories that Wesen parents tell their children, and Wesen children tell each other stories about around the campfire to scare each other. If she knew, she's probably run away, and that would not be good at all for her safety.
Flag
Yeah that's a good point but he could of let Juliette know and she wouldn't have to tell her friend. Or, I was thinking it'd be better to have Juliette let it known to her friend and then reassure her that she was doubly safe there against her none human husband.
Flag
Alicia's an old friend of Juliette's, and she hadn't done anything wrong (quite the contrary)... I think Nick was just respecting her privacy in not telling Juliette without Alicia's knowledge. I agree that it would have been more practical to ask what kind of Wesen Joe is, when Alicia said that he's "not normal," but from a human standpoint, it's pretty understandable. :)
Flag
If Nick hasn't seen Juliette's friend in person since his Aunt Marie died, he would have had no clue that she was wesen!
Flag
I loved the call back to the pilot. The girl in the red hoodie running through the woods listening to Sweet Dreams are made of this. Guy in hoodie running after her. Surprise!!! It's Nick, not the big bad wolf.
Flag
Best part pf the episode was when Nick, Hank, and Wu were walking through the station in their ghostbuster outfits. Rewinded that scene five times.
Flag
That was a really, really strange episode and maybe even the worst ever. And where did the "red" come from? Did I miss out on the political or the cold war part?
Flag
The wesen of the week was a Russian assassin during the cold war, hence 'red menace.'
Flag
Russian main Wessen character. Rasputin. Stalin. Erm...the color red associated with The Reds - America's biggest 'non-enemy' as it turned out. I do trust you were being sarcastic or 16. No? Forget it then.
Flag
Rasputin wasn't a communist and died before the Russian Revolution, Stalin was mentioned in one single sentence and the whole thing took place in modern days and had nothing to do with politics, so what's your point? Anyway, I had no intention to discuss politics anyway, the stupid title and the clichees applied just added to a not very good episode.
Flag
Unless you wanted to suggest, that all Russians are communists ...
Flag
Fair enough! :)
Flag
No. The point with Rasputin, wesen contract killer secret service Russian etc. were all intertwined with political dealings inside and out of human/wesen relations which are still carrying ramifications. All which point to having a simple red in the title. The show isn't exactly meant to be rocket science at any level is it, beit politics or whatever.
I thought it would've made more sense to explain the radioactive state of mishkin and may be how he had to release his 'waste' from collecting all the ills to survive and/or kill.
Whatever. If you didn't like the episode then that's that.
Flag
Boring episode with some stereotypes thrown in.
Flag
The episode, to me, felt quite a bit longer than just an hour long. Maybe it was because unlike a normal episode of Grimm, there seemed to be a lot of subplots moving throughout the episode. I enjoyed it, though, but because there were so many subplots, a lot of things felt a little dangly. Like... some things were just not wrapped up as nicely as they could have been.

But Nick in a shower scene? Sure. Give it to me. Why not?
Flag
The guy from the episode was called Mishkin - from the word "mishka" which is a hypocorism for "bear".
But everyone here thinks his name was Myshkin - from "mysh" / "mouse" (probably because of Dostoyevsky's character from "Idiot")
Flag
"then why would the biology of the characters even matter in this situation?"

Well, Joe was a Klaustreich, and in their last appearance it was suggested they have some weird kind of sexual charisma over their female targets. In "The Thing With Feathers," the Klaustreich was keeping the pregnant Seltenvogel under wraps. Although implying Joe has some kind of hold on Alicia because of his nature might be diminishing the message of women trapped in a bad relationship.
Flag
On a sidenote: how good was the Russian spoken? Native? Accents?
Flag
The actor that played Mishkin is most probably a native of a russian-speaking country since his language was almost perfect. Others were terrible except (surprise) for Renard... Can't say if Sasha Roiz learned it somewhere or just has a great ear for foreign words, his accent was the best (as in the least noticeable).
Flag
Apparently Sasha's parents are Russian Jewish immigrants and speak Russian at home... so I guess that's the reason why his accent is that good...
Flag
The actor who played Mishkin--Mark Ivanir--was born in the Ukraine (although it was then the USSR).
Flag
To quote Wu, "Why am I not surprised?".
Flag
This was more of a set up for future stories with a minor episode on the side, rather than a major, plot moving episode.These are necessary every so often. I was sorry to see Renard come back from Europe,although he had to come back to keep his job as police chief. With him showing up speaking Russian and calling people there, maybe we will get some Renard back story and at the same time, fill in on the Royals and Wesen politics.
I, although I know I am in the minority, was glad that Monroe and Rosalee barely showed in this episode. People have to keep in mind that this show is about Nick; and that Monroe and Rosalee are secondary characters.
The set ups for next week and beyond look good, although they look more about personal relationships and Portland than Wesen politics and the broader world the writers are building. I know a lot of people on this forum want to see that but I, personally, would like to see more of this outer world explored. Maybe bring back Mama Grimm and renew the storyline about the coins and keys.
I am glad it returned this soon considering how little else is on for the next week or two. I suppose this is our reward for having to wait an extra month for the season premiere.I still think the writers and producers still owe us an extra show or two during the spring break.
More+
Flag
Joe <3 Ali... i got a feeling its gon end bad..then i saw the next episode "look"..is Juliette developing ninja skills when am not looking at her?
girlfriend is about to get way too interesting!.
And speaking of domestic violence,this episode made me really think about marriage/relationship between different type of wessen. Imagine relationship like Rosalee and Monroe going sour..oh! my . Rosalee kind looks so pretty..so beautiful frail..so Eatable! so Tear-able!!.And Monroe's..So Angry and soooo hungry.
BTW i loved the episode.. (if u knew wat i had to watch over the holidays, u will understand!)..
Flag
I do have a weird timing theory that the writers were promised only a two week mid season break for the Olympics they counted those out and forgot the one week Christmas thing. So this was really supposed to me filler episode to set up plot itinerary points and like someone mentioned that there is a Russian population in Portland and remember two of our secondary cast members can speak other languages that are real and not just Monroe's homespun German.
Flag
Yes, not forgetting trying to appease the older viewership for the network who sit back in their recliners' and reminisce on the 'good' old days of clear and apparent threats. Oh, wait, is that a Red I smell?!
Flag
a couple who managed to keep their identities under wraps from Nick for however long they've known one another? Okay. --- really? they lived in another city and his powers only started up in more recent history, that would explain why he didn't know until this meeting...

i always disagree with the nit picking, while the overall story line is a great thing, i like learning about more wessen and having these one and done stories mixed in... i think some shows forget you still need to expand the universe it lives in, if you concentrate only on the overall story, you lose a lot... life never flows with just one overall story. Keep up the good work Grimm.
Flag
Boring episode IMO.And i think that the show have to start exploring more of the world of royals and wesens not just throwing pointless fillers at us.
Flag
All set up, no knock down. It's episodes like this that should be the first of two parters. Not that it was bad, i just wasn't much of anything. A little Monrosalie comic relief was sorely missing.
Flag
- Why does every healer on every show always have the downside of making themselves sick?

- Looks like Rasputin can join the ranks of Hitler, JFK, Sinatra, and Casanova as a Famous Wesen Throughout History.

- I love Monroe and Rosalee (whom was greatly missed this week, BTW), and I wish them the best, but I feel like they should pay more attention to the mixed-Wesen couples they encounter. This episode alone featured two star-crossed mixed marriages doomed to fail, and I can think of at least one or two others throughout the series that didn't work out well either.

- Myshkin's name just immediately made me think of the line from The Producers, "Yes, Prince Mishkin, what can we do for you?" Love me some Zero Mostel.

- So Joe is a Klaustreich. No wonder Ali was so interested in learning how to neuter cats. Also, poor Gizmo (which is also my cat's name, but she's female and already fixed).

- Lately, in addition to Juliette proving herself not useless, she's also making a strong argument that every single Grimm should have a veterinarian in their back pocket. They prove quite helpful when dealing with people who are also animals (as next week's preview illustrated).
More+
Flag
This was good way to remind the viewers about what's going on with the different story lines and to get the rest of the season set up. The next episode looks pretty exciting.
Flag
Staff
It does! I'm pretty stoked for next week. :D
Flag
The name Boris Myshkin sounds like two characters from Goldeneye.
Flag
Hmmm, so in summary, nothing really happened. Renard and Adalind had coffee, one of Juliette's friends came to stay at Nick's house and a couple of wessen died. As far as I can see, none of this was affected in any way whatsoever by Nick being there. But, I suppose he did show off his new non-sweating superpower.

Plus no Rosalee and Monroe seems to have been added as an after-thought/contractual obligation. Was he really needed to read English journal entries?

I'm hoping that this was maybe setting things up for a really great episode next week, maybe...
Flag
Also, no Rosalee and minimal Monroe.
Flag
That's a huge minus in my book.
Flag
You know I always wondered what a telenovela would look like if it was filled with Wesen and in Russian which would then make it a myl'naya opera. It was interesting and fun but kind of silly and essentially a filler episode. The meeting with Renard and Adelind was kind of anticlimactic, I expected more. The new Wesen, which I am not even going to attempt to spell, seems interesting and could be serviceable in the future. And Juliette didn't annoy me. So thereia that
Flag
Which new Wesen? There were four: the Fuchsbau and the Klaustreich, which we've seen before. Olga was the Malin Fatal. Boris was the Koschei.
Flag
Koschei.
Flag
Wow. I certainly like the episodes where Nick does nothing and half the episode is in subtitles. And the primary story is about a Wesen that we've never seen before, isn't particularly likeable (even when he was trying to redeem himself, he was sleeping around on his wife), and will be dead by the end of the episode.

Oh wait, no I don't.

Is Alicia the only Wesen who didn't sense when Nick could sense her? Every other Wesen always sees Nick seeing them and yells "Grimm!"

Flag
I've noticed that only Wesen who are actually looking at Nick when he sees them, notice that he's a Grimm.

For example:
  • In the S2 episode with the Blutbad leading the church of Seelenguter, when they announce that there's been a murder, the Blutbad is looking at them, while the Seelenguter are looking at each other when they all Woge. Only the Blutbad realizes Nick is a Grimm (the Seelenguter are clearly unaware).
  • In the S2 episode with Hank's friend who's a Coyotl, when he comes to the station and Nick sees him Woge, he (the Coyotl) is not looking directly at Nick at the time, because he's so distraught. He doesn't realize Nick is a Grimm, until Nick tells him.
  • In the S3 episode with the Bauerschwein chef that's poisoning Blutbaden, the first time Nick sees them Woge is when he's standing outside the room, and all of them Woge at once because they're all upset over a mistake with the sauce. None of them realize Nick is even there, until he announces his presence, and none of them realize he's a Grimm until much later in the episode.
Those are the examples I could think of offhand. I'm sure there are more. :) I noticed this some time ago, and I don't think I've seen any instance of a Wesen sensing that Nick is a Grimm when they're not looking at him.

My theory: Nick's appearance changes too, in response to seeing Wesen woge, in a way that only the Wesen(s) that Nick is looking at can see. It probably doesn't look like a woge, exactly... actually, in my head, I picture Nick being surrounded by a shadow, or something. This is based on the few times we've seen Wesen artwork depicting Grimms, they're always shown cloaked in black.
More +
Flag
I assumed that Alicia didn't pick up on the Grimm because of her emotional state. It was that scene, though, where I wanted Nick to come out of his Grimm shell and giver her a big protective "There-there-everything-will-be-all-right" hug. But I guess he couldn't risk being outed.
Flag
By definition, any Wesen losing their cool (which is when their features revert so Nick can see them) would be in an emotional state, and wouldn't notice him.
Flag
Maybe it's because her back was turned? Idk usually there always staring Nick down or making eye contact.
Flag
I suppose, but I seem to recall a couple when they weren't looking at him.

Did the opening poem or whatever remind anyone of Monty Python? "If she has a soul, and it's hidden in an egg, and the egg is in a duck, and the duck is in a lead chest, and the chest is buried beneath an oak tree... she's a witch!
Flag
That opening scene reminded me of when things were simpiler also The Metoers! Woop
-As soo as that woman was on the phone with Juliette. I was like wait Juliette has friends? Like I was questioning what was her personal life as far as work and her own family and girlfriends, lol but I guess we really are going to find more about her and they are making her easier to like and more interesting with every episode. I mean the preview of her fighting. And her fighting in the past episodes show her actually being able to to kinda fight not just luck. Which isn't what you'd expect from a veternarian.
-Just as I was hoping for a simple romantic relationship up pops a pretty physical therapist who's only kinda unavailable.
-Renard speaking russian to that maid! I'm growing more and more attracted to him especially sense he isn't too mysterious now.
-That made fully going in to the hotel room in to the bathroom, ughh. I would have stopped and called for help the moment I saw those sheets. Or if I did go to the bathroom would have only needed to crack it open to see his foot to freak out.
-After the hallway walk with the blue suits, maaan they gotta let Wu in by the end of the season. I feel like his jokes on wessen would be pretty funny.
-The rest of the main story playing out was pretty meh, except I guess I like the fact that there are probably more wessen than could be imagined as their origin are all over the place and not just german.
More+
Flag
Also he's acting weird. He didn't notice the Wesson show it's colors and played it dumb in interrogation. Maybe he's an imposter
Flag
My dumb dvr cut off before the end. Did nick find out that Ali is vessen or ali that he is a grimm?
Flag
Yeah he saw what she was as soon as she got there. But she doesn't know he's a Grimm. And pretty sure Nick now has an idea that her husband is wesen, though this episode nor the preview of the next show them finding out him as Grimm.
Flag
That was kind of a weird episode....I didn't hate it or anything but here is something new...I wanted to pay more attention to J uliette's story. Didn't the last new episode show that Juliette fight to be this episode? I am guessing the guy manages to wait for Nick to leave.

The whole Russian thing was kind of interesting but I kind of hope it just represented one of our last stand alone and having nothing to do with grander mythology stories. Or at least doesn't involve more of our team that trusts each other. Have none of them clarified with Hank that they only can kind of trust Renard?
Flag
Follow this Show
Members