A Grimm Community
Friday 8:00 PM on NBC (Returning Fall 2016)

Grimm S03E13: "Revelation"

Grimm is back! Oh Grimm, I missed you! I missed you so much even though I thought the last few episodes before your Olympics hiatus were kind of meh. 

And it's okay, because "Revelation" was the sort of purely awesome episode that Grimm needed to remind us of why this season has been generally great, and to make us forget about that weird period of mediocrity between Christmas and now. 

"Revelation" has the distinction of being one of those episodes of Grimm—or any show, really—where a ton of big, serious, important stuff happens, yet while all the realness is going down, we're laughing because there's also a lot of understated and genuinely funny humor thrown into the mix. Like Nick brandishing a knife at dinner when the Wesen at the table started acting up. 

The only glaring weak spot that I noticed (along with a few of y'all) was that Monroe randomly got all pissy about Nick only calling him when he needs help on a case; that's just not true. Grimm has long made it clear that Monroe and Nick are actually very good friends, and we've seen them hanging out just for funzies, or mutually helping one another out, a couple times. I'll chalk up Monroe's to Nick visiting at a really bad time. Dude was stressed. 

As of the conclusion of "Revelation," Monroe's ultra-traditional parents still aren't really on board with Monrosalee, but they're at least willing to work on that. Sort of. We saw that they're not SO rigid in their beliefs that they'd complete reject their son based on his life choices and OMG Grimm with the obvious parallels between progressive Wesen versus traditional Wesen and their real-life human counterparts. When did this show get so thoughtful and deep? Its like one day the writers just woke up and realized, "Hey, audiences might be more receptive to stories about hot-button topics like mixed-race marriages and alternative lifestyles since we're not actually writing those stories about humans or human societies," which is basically how sci-fi and speculative fiction came into existence in the first place. You can defy the establishment all you want when you're not technically writing about the establishment that you live in. 

Anywho, while Momma and Poppa Blutbad still aren't 100 pecent Team Monrosalee and the road for those two crazy kids is far from clear at this time, I have a good feeling. I think they're going to be fine. For all their blathering on about tradition, it's obvious that Monroe's parents care more about their son and his happiness than their narrow worldview, and that's a huge step in the right direction for everyone involved. 

MEANWHILE, IN VIENNA...

Renard thinks the monster baby is his. Renard thinks the monster baby is his! Renard thinks the monster baby is his!!!

I mean... I think we all assumed it was his anyway, but it's nice to have confirmation, or at least something close to confirmation. Renard can stake a claim all he wants, but he and Adalind should probably book an appearance on Maury just to be sure, especially since the kid is supposed to be the Antichrist or something. 

Operating under the assumption that he is Adalind's baby-daddy, Renard arranged a hasty escape for Adalind when he got word that Stefania was working with the Royals to something-something-evil-and-nefarious-something-something because none of us saw that coming either, amiright? Adalind's escape itself featured some zany rom-com antics, like a pretend booty-call and the incredibly smart blonde playing dumb in front of the bad guys and then the monster baby itself slaughtering the aforementioned baddies with it's brain while still in utero. Okay, maybe not so much that last part. 

And then Adalind went into labor. ROLL CREDITS. SEE U NEXT WEEK, SUCKAS.

I was pretty excited for Grimm to return this week even after the blah episodes that led up to the Olympics and then several weeks to stew over the blah (those weeks were ultimately filled with lust for Johnny Weir's headgear and entirely too many documentaries about Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Harding). Now that Grimm has returned, and with an episode that went a long way toward energizing the audience and reinvigorating a storyline that had seemingly stalled, I AM SO PUMPED. How about you?

ALL ABOARD AUNT MARIE'S BOOKMOBILE OF CRAZY

– When the royal lackey smacked Adalind's preggo tummy: WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU? 

– "This was one of my favorite books as a kid. The Grimm gets OBLITERATED." <3 Monroe.

– "This wedding stuff is pretty exciting!" OMG SHUT UP JULIETTE.

– Nick still has his zombie superpowers right? Somewhere?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/20/2016

Season 5 : Episode 22

110 Comments
Comments (110)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Just wanted to quickly mention the one thing I really didn't like about this episode (since I already raved about everything I did like):

Umm... Makeup people... what happened?
Flag
Yes, why didn't zombie Nick show up during the Battle Royale with the scalping wesen?!?! I was sitting there yelling at the TV, "Come on zombie Nick. Anytime now zombie Nick. Where are you zombie Nick?" Completely confused as how when he needed his zombie powers most, they don't appear.
Flag
I actually disagree that this was when he needed his zombie powers most. I think that's actually the worst thing that could have happened to him when facing three Wildesheer, and it's very lucky for him that it didn't happen. :)

Think about it - the first thing that happens when his "zombie superpowers" surface is that he temporarily dies. Which involves going very, very still, and losing time (much like somebody who's prone to petite-mal seizures, plus... dying). And then he gets super-strong and super-fast for a few seconds, but that's only after dying for a few seconds.

A few seconds, during which the Wildesheer could easily have scalped him. It's not like with Krampus, who was trying to strangle him at the time (so the "dying" was actually an advantage, as he didn't need to breathe). In this case, he needed to remain active at all times, so that he could respond quickly whenever the Wildesheer came at him.

That said, I wish we had seen a resurfacing of the fighting skills we saw during the Jinnmaru Xunte (the Fly) episode (S2E15). Or, for that matter, the super-hearing that he developed during that episode. The fighting skills would have been awesome to watch and very useful to Nick (especially in this fight, where guns don't work), and the super-hearing would have come in handy just after they heard the thunder, but before the Wildesheer rushed him.
More +
Flag
I don't think he has any control over it whatsoever, and I wish they would take an episode to explore how to tap into his super-strength instead of letting it pop up at random times. This aspect of him is way too interesting to just let it peter out, and if the writers pay any attention at all to this blog they know they need to do something with it.
Flag
Yep. Exactly.
Flag
I think what brought back the Wildesheer was the imminent birth of Adalind's baby. The Wildesheer were collecting scalps in order to increase their strength. They wouldn't do that unless they sensed something coming which would not only be more powerful than they are but also a likely threat. So the return of the Wildesheer to their old ways was more of a defensive reaction and an act of fear of something they have never encountered. This leads me to believe that Adalind's baby may not be just a hybrid between a Hexenbiest and a Royal-Zauberbiest, but given the Grimm blood that Adalind ingested, part-Grimm. The child is already manifesting telekenetic powers even from inside the womb which makes you wonder just how powerful he or she will be. Given this, the birth of Adelind's child will be a major game changer for the show with Sean Renard and the Resistance, the Royals and even the Wessen Council fighting to control the child.
Flag
Yes welcome back Grimm! Great episode! My thought on Zomick (nick/zombie) is that it'll back. It's got to right? Why dangle the thread if you're not going to do anything with it. That would be unlike the Grimm writers to do that. When it does Rosalee needs to be the one who sees it not Juliette. She'll be all over it!
Flag
I kinda feel like Munro's dad and his 'end of the world' speech may be, like, an overreaction? Only because his parents seem to be the most extreme of extreme believers of tradition and stuff, so maybe Munro's grandfather would be the same. I think it would make it easier to change the outcome of a plot line if perhaps the 'end of the world' just turned out to be a few people dying or something.
Flag
Can^t help it, I love this show :-)
Flag
Anyone curious whats with the ritual Rosalee and Monroe's Mom did? ... and whats the outcome?
Flag
Maybe it was like, sharing each other's scents. I know cats have glands or whatever that put their scent on things and one of them is at the neck, so maybe that's what they were doing (seems like quite a personal thing to do, which validates Rosalee's 'Whoa' reaction).

On a related note, I've never been sure, but I get that Munro is like a wolf/dog. But is Rosalee a cat? Or a mouse? I think it's been mentioned before in one of these reviews, and when I look at her she kinda looks like a cat, but I've never been certain.
Flag
Rosalee's a fox. Or, at least, that's heavily implied by the name of her species: Fuchsbau. Fuchsbauer also have some "fox"-like personality characteristics (the first time we hear of Fuchsbauer, Monroe is telling Nick that Freddy is Fuchsbauer, so watch your hand if you take anything from him).

I mentioned this in another comment, but I think the ritual is about each woman simultaneously getting her mouth right next to the other's throat. I think it's a trust exercise. That would help explain why they were both so hesitant about doing it - there was a significant risk.
Flag
Ahhhhh this makes so much more sense now! Thanks.
Flag
I was really disappointed there wasn't an appearance of leftover zombie powers...*sigh* and I was starting to get bored with the whole 'Adalind is having an apocolypse baby' thing until the kid stabbed a royal flunkie in the eye! I love the family dynamic going on, they put the 'fun' in 'dysfunctional'! Welcome back, Grimm, we missed you badly :)
Flag
In my opinion this episode was another really good one. Even though Adiland was and is evil I hope everything goes well with the pregnancy and birth of her child. I also liked that Monroe's parents are willing to give Rosalee a chance.
Flag
Best episode in along time since zombie nick. I loved it I just not sure about Adeline's baby " ending the world " I just hope they handle it well. I loved all the roselle and Monroe scenes, the only thing that really pissed me off in this fantastic episode was when Juliette was borderline sooking about Nick going after the wessen that annoyed me she needs to be way more supportive and either get out of they way or help without complaining.
Flag
Is anyone but me unhappy that Adalind's baby is supposed to be this anti-christ monster foretold to bring evil and destruction into the world? I've always hated "born evil" storylines and it just doesn't feel necessary. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy Adalind is having Sean's kid, because I'm hoping this plotlines going to open the world of the Royals a little more and give us some answers about what makes Royal blood so special. I was also looking forward to Daddy Renard. Now that the child is demon spawn...not so much.
Flag
for "super berzerker wesen demon ultra baddies that scare the wesen crap out of blutbadnnns" they were really superduper easy to kill, no? Special Kill Move? The "Hair Trimmer". I found that rather anticlimactic and was expecting Nick to activate some Undead Rage instead...
Flag
Hmm... I think this was just an example of misleading dialogue. :) It's not like all they had to do was cut the hair, in spite of what they said. What they actually needed to do was scalp the Wildesheer. From behind. All three of them. Which isn't exactly possible for a lone Grimm... it was all Nick could do to keep one Wildesheer from scalping him.

The point, I think, was to emphasize the teamwork required to defeat this enemy. So they really were very formidable (especially when you consider that all the ogre gun did, was make the Wildesheer stagger slightly for about a half a second).
Flag
teamwork is great! still didn't see any scalps, just a few hair trims and I am not so sure it mattered from which direction, behind is just easier. I guess expectations differ when it comes to world ending demon kind. ;)
Flag
They were scalps. :) Blood flew, each time.
Flag
yesh i ssaw the blood fly but it cleasrly looked as if it was spraying from theor hair.. as if their hair is a living organizism that bleeds when its cut... i kinda rolled my eyes at that
Flag
If Nick has zombie superpowers can the writers please have him kill Juliette? I understand she should be safe because zombies usually only kill to eat brains; but surely they can make an exception in this instance? Just this once? Or perhaps Rosalee and Munroe can have Wesen 'hunt the Juliette and eat her' game to unit their two clans?

I LOVE Munroe and Rosalee - I'm really liking Renard (at the moment), because he's leading the resistance and trying so hard to protect his unborn kid. I'm liking the new, darker Nick; I'm even reaching a point where I don't want to kill and eat Hank anymore. So please can we just all get on board with Juliette dying by zombie munchies, wesen hunt, whatever - I'd even go for dumbness overload? Then this show would so good it would (almost) transcend chocolate...... -)
Flag
Why, oh why does the writers keep on writing so much screentime for Adalind? It is sooooooooo boring. Get over it! More wesen stories! Would love to se Lady of the woods or the streamhorse.
My favourite part of this episode: When Nick jumps up with the knife in his hand, in the end.
Flag
I loved the episode especially the dinner scene in the end. Juliette trying to lighten the mood only to remind everyone about the wedding and making it worse and Nick jumping up with the knife in his hand. LOVED IT!!!
Can't wait for the wedding especially if it's full of wesens and a grimm. That should be tons of fun for everyone. :D
Flag
The fun that was "when Nick met the parents" is going to be nothing compared to Monroe saying "Everyone, meet my best man, Nick!".

You just know it's going to happen... :D
Flag
Adalind didn't even want the baby, right? She traded it for her powers. So what's going to happen now, Sean's going to raise it? And if it is evil and came on the world to destroy everything, is Nick going to try to waste it? Sean vs Nick? all the questions!
Flag
– Nick still has his zombie superpowers right? Somewhere? I loved everything about the episode, except that this wasn't addressed or hinted at. When he was getting beat down by the Wesen warriors, wouldn't that have been a good time for his zombie fighting skills to take over?
Flag
I thought that would happen but hmm, disappointing a bit.
Flag
This has got to be one of the BEST epis evers! The writing and acting so brilliant. Loved every second and was held captive till the awesome end!
Flag
Well that guy used to serve a Royal until he took a pen to the eye. The fight scene was intense and Nick should have some barbers handy if those berserker wesen show up again. All in all it was a great episode.
Flag
I knew lackey was toast. You do NOT smack a pregnant woman's tummy. Is the baby only 3/4 Hexenbeast, since Sean is half? Or if it does happen to Eric's then the baby might only be half HB. Or did the spell make it a whole HB? And was Adalind a HB at the time she got pregnant or were her powers stripped by then? If a wesen is stripped of their powers do they still produce wesen children?

They should bring in more Wesen POV books and stories like that.

Here I was thinking Juliette had finally grown a brain or some social skills, and she makes a Season 1 stupid Juliette comment. Is there any hope for her?

I thought Zombie Nick, would take over during the fight, but for some reason, his zombie powers did not kick in. Maybe he ate Juliette's brain and was starved. That is why Juliette made that stupid inappropriate comment.

I knew daddy blutbad would follow and come into the fight then we get a father/son bonding moment.
Flag
Yep I actually laughed when Juliette started to research stuff cause even she knows she is redundant in this show and is trying to make herself useful...
Flag
Great episode ! Finally Adalind is going to have the baby and I enjoyed the whole Monroe family arc. Only criticism of this episode is that the bad guy Wesens were built up to be practically "invulnerable" but then all you have to do is cut off some hair and they instantly die so why was Monroe so scared about these guys thats a pretty big weakness lol! Besides that was a nice return to form from this show and once again Juliette was hardly in it which is always a positive!
Flag
It's a big weakness but they weren't sure it would work - besides nobody knew about this except for the Grimm ancestors, who wrote about the possibility in the books.
Flag
"...and then the monster baby itself slaughtering the aforementioned baddies with it's brain while still in utero. Okay, maybe not so much that last part."

SO MUCH the last part! Remember when the pen flew through the air and stabbed the guy through the eye and Adalind's new bodyguard was like, "Thank you for that," and Adalind was like, "I'm not sure that was me"?
IT WAS THE BABY.
Creeeeeepy.
Flag
I was happy to see Grimm back and things seem to be happening rather than get dragged along so FINALLY Adalind is in labour (right?) and I think it's cute Renard is so excited to be a daddy (well maybe...) but I'd bet he is going to be a single dad... Mainly because that would be a nice story line esp. if Nick is single soon, Hank and him can help Renard raise the kid like in that 80s movie but with monsters & stuff? That kid looks extra powerful so the show can send him into puberty as soon as the baby stuff gets boring (like Angel did but Angel did go a bit too dark...). Denisof made me think of Angel but honestly he seems quite wasted in this role which is a total bore...
Monroe's parents conversion from total a-holes to skeptics-who-dine-with-the-enemy seemed awfully quick to me but hey... at least Monroe senior is a good fighter...
Flag
This episode was so much fun! I think I'd almost forgotten how much I missed Nick kicking evil Wessen butt. Even the whole "cut their hair might kill them" was too cool. And I love it when Nick gets to show off his Grimm abilities. I was cheering that fight the whole time. And when Monroe's father showed up, it was sappy and awesome at the same time.

Sniffing your soon-to-be in-laws, that has got to be the wierdest get-to-know-you ritual I've ever seen. It was creepy, freaky and cheesy, all at the same time.

Monroe has got to be the most stand-up guy west of the Sierras. The way he stood up to his parents on Rosalee's behalf was so sweet. And the fact that he chose her over seeing them ever again was so romantic.

While Nick has asked for Monroe's help a lot, he's also helped Monroe quite a bit too. But I know Monroe was way too stressed right then, and Nick had barged in at just the wrong moment.

As to the whole Europe plot, freaky mother is about to have really freaky baby...yay?
Flag
Was that all that was supposed to be with the sniffing between Rosalee and Mama Monroe? I have a hard time remembering the german? terms they have for some things but I was expecting something more when Mama proposed it and Rosalee was all like if you think it will work.. then the camera shifts away mid sniff and we hear nothing more about it.
Flag
It took me a while to figure it out too, but I think that it's not so much about the sniffing, as it is about the fact that both women got their mouths really close to the other's throats. They are both canine, after all.

I think it's a symbol of trust, or maybe just a trust exercise. A bit like a handshake, if it still held its traditional meaning ("I hold no weapon.")
Flag
I wondered that too. I thought they would mention it at the dinner table, but I think the explanation was interrupted by Juliet's stupid comment. I came here hoping to get some more insight in the recap or some German translation.
Flag
Katerine_M explained it nicely.
German word was Vertrautheiten and this is direct translation: "intimacy, closeness, warm friendship, familiarness, state of being well-known"
Flag
Ah! Thanks. That makes that scene make a bit more sense.
Flag
All I can say is this, when the wedding episode comes and Nick is the best man because come on, it is going to be hilarious.
Flag
Fantastic episode and great review! :)

Just one disagreement, regarding, "The only glaring weak spot that I noticed (along with a few of y'all) was that Monroe randomly got all pissy about Nick only calling him when he needs help on a case; that's just not true."

I actually had the opposite reaction to Monroe's complaint re: Nick... I thought it was a great way to show that, yes, Nick has kind-of taken Monroe for granted. Since the beginning. If you looked at their friendship in terms of what each is willing to do for the other, it always seemed kind of skewed towards Monroe doing everything for Nick. It was nice to see that addressed.

Granted, it's gotten a lot better since, say, mid-season-2, but I just recently rewatched season 1, and boy, does Nick ever take advantage of Monroe in every. Single. Episode. Basically, throughout s1, we got told over and over that Nick and Monroe were friends, and you can really tell, in every episode, that Monroe is Nick's friend... but there are really just a couple of examples of Nick being Monroe's friend.

So, it's kind of nice to see that being acknowledged. And, hey, Nick even kindasorta made things better for Monroe in this episode (that is, Monroe, in the end, was better off for having been Nick's friend, then he would have been, if he had not been Nick's friend to begin with). Yay! :)

All around, great episode.
More+
Flag
Okay I expressed my love of this episode earlier...here are my questions and they are entirely about the Vienna portion. Was Stephania actually betraying A dalind? I thought that was Adalind's plan..to sell the baby and that was the whole reason Stephania was helping her get her powers back. I mean it was clear Victor's plan was to not let Adalind go but still. Also I wonder if the baby was sending a bigger message than you hurt my mommy and telling Adalind to go with Misner.
Flag
My thoughts on Stephania is that she seems to have her own agenda. Quite separate from both Viktor's and Adalind's. She reminds me a lot of the devil worshipers in Rosemary's Baby... the ones that arranged for the antichrist to be born.

Anyway, that's what I came away with. :) Not that I really care all that much. Bizarrely, between the devil baby being born to the former primary antagonist of the show, and the efforts of the Resistance against the Crown to get her away from the Royals... and Monroe and Rosalee's domestic troubles, Monroe and Rosalee's domestic troubles are far more interesting to me. :\
Flag
This perhaps was the best episode in maybe the last 4 or even 5 episodes. It had a great balance of all of the cast and the inclusion of Monroe's parents were fun. The only issue that I have is when are we going to see Nick being grey and badass again. I would think with such a big bad Wesen that it would come out. I mean they are going to touch on that again right? Adalind in labor is going to be interesting. Great all around episode and I hope now that things seem to have settle and Adalind is going to give birth that we will get back into the long arc of the story because that is when Grimm is at its best.
Flag
One of the better episodes of Grimm in awhile. Hopefully, the break gave the writers some time to put together a great season ending run of shows and tie up the many plot threads in a nice package.
Flag
The hair part was a little ridiculous but still Adalind's storyline is finally moving forward.The parents drama was a little predictable but not boring.
Flag
I loved this episode so much! They did a good job keeping up with Adalind's baby story line, Nick's Wesen of the week story line, and Monroe and Rosalee's family problems... and they managed to make it fun all at the same time.
Flag
What a great episode, the best part was the awkward dinner at the end. I was l laughing so hard especially when Nick pick up the cutting knife and every wesen woged.
Flag
True, he was like a referee at a mixed-race dinner table. Amazingly funny stuff :D

But I am glad it seems to be working out for Monroe and Rosalie. I would've been really sad if that whole issue had broken up the most perfect couple on TV ...
Flag
Loved this episode. Drama, action, humor; it pretty much had everything going for it. I'm a little surprised Monroe's father showed up the way he did at the end. It was a nice, brave gesture but I still think him and the mom are harshly misjudging the situation. Also, what were Rosalee and Monroe's mom doing with each other? Anyway, great to see Monrosalee back together.

Once again, Juliette flexed her intuitive and creative muscles in this episode, and I really liked it. I'd definitely like to see more of that.

I'm really intrigued about the baby now. What it's capable of? What it's gonna do? What it's gonna be, etc. Aadiland schemed her way into this, so I'm not about to sympathize for that tramp one bit if something bad happens to her.
Flag
I actually kind of like Adalind now......no idea why.
Flag
Maybe because she is pregnant, i mean who can hate a pregnant lady, even if she was evil or her child was the spawn of the devil, a baby is a baby and only dicks hates babies
Flag
"What can we do? We'll never resolve our differences!"
"We could try.....sniffing each other."
"All else has failed; it's our only hope!"
*woge* *woge*
*sniff sniff sniff*

Twenty minutes later......
"I guess it worked because we are both sitting at the same dinner table now."
Flag
:D

Seriously, though... on third watching, it finally occurred to me... this is meant to be a mutual show of trust. Kind of like the origin of the handshake - showing that each person is not holding a weapon. In this case, both people simultaneously get their canines really close to the other person's throat.
Flag
Haaaa! This episode was really awesome. It had a lot of humor, it had a lot of action, it had a lot of drama... It did everything that an episode of Grimm should do. It expanded the mythology, it moved the overarching story along, it even gave our lovable characters new dimensions!

I think the only thing I didn't like was Monroe being like, "You only ever talk to me when you want something!" to Nick. And I think that's more because I always assumed that off screen, Nick and Monroe hung out and went, I dunno, bowling and stuff. But apparently that's not the case? So, now I'm sad that their friendship is apparently all Wesen-related, which makes me totally understand Monroe's point of view, but makes me very frowny at Nick. I really like Nick, so I don't like being upset with him. I hope he fixes that soon. But at least it led up to Nick and Monroe tag-teaming again. I mean, don't get me wrong... I like Hank a lot. But I miss Nick and Monroe being the fearsome twosome. I think the writers realized that, hence the whole, "Leave Hank behind" sort of situation.

But haha, that ending dinner. That was so awkward and hilarious.

So, are we really going to go with the baby being the "big thing that will change the world"? This worries me, because whenever a baby shows up that is supposed to be super important... there's usually a rapid aging story arc that follows, and I find those so awkward. I really don't want a rapidly aging baby in the future. I hope there's something else about to happen, but I can't imagine what.
More+
Flag
Anyone else find this to be one of the most evenly paced episode in awhile? It could be since the baby is apparently the antichrist that the show was just biding its time.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members