A Grimm Community
Friday 8:00 PM on NBC (Returning Fall 2016)

Grimm S03E20: "My Fair Wesen"

If there'd been any doubt that Nick was attempting to tackle more than he could handle in adopting the latest stray to wander into Portland, "My Fair Wesen" drove the point home with a series of mishaps courtesy of Trubel the Reluctant Grimm that kind of made me wonder how she's survived until now. It's not that Trubel isn't smart—she certainly is—but her rookie status in the world of Wesen and Grimm and her lack of common sense in the boring old muggle world made for some exchanges that were probably meant to be funny but mostly came off as, "seriously?"

I'm really in favor of Trubel and Wu being amateur-hour besties, though. He needs a friend (and the truth, dammit!), and she needs a friend who's just as new to the game as she is. Nick is an excellent mentor, what with his complete willingness to educate Trubel to help her reach her full potential, and we can count on Monrosalee to provide the essential "friendly neighborhood Wesen" angle, as Trubel has proven, she's a woman who resists authority figures out of principle. She's spent her entire life as an outsider, and despite the best efforts of Nick, Monroe, and the others, Trubel is going to be an outsider in the Grimm world for some time to come. Finding an equal to connect with, free of judgement and the disjointed dynamic that sometimes comes out of the inherent inequality of a master-apprentice relationship, could be really good for her. 

"My Fair Wesen" was a strong episode to showcase Trubel's formal debut as a young Grimm in the know, with a case that allowed her to fully submerge herself in the big damn hero routine and revealed more about her backstory without Grimm having to dedicate an entire episode to her great and terrible trauma. However, it's getting a little silly how, despite the vast and somewhat chaotic archives in Aunt Marie's trailer, the Grimm never fail to find the right passage in a timely manner; this week's research yielded case-relevant material as well as conveniently placed entries about the Wesen that killed Trubel's foster parents. Are there any Grimm who don't have tragic dead-parent-laden backstories?

While Nick babysat Trubel in the most ill-conceived ride-along ever, Adalind played Renard, and her return to evil is just breaking my heart because I was unexpectedly drawn to the Diana stuff and it didn't (and doesn't) have to be either/or when it comes to maternal Adalind vs. HBIC Adalind. In a way, going back to a conniving, self-serving Adalind feels like a step backwards, even if, at the center of it all, she's taking action for a positive reason. That she's working on bad intel just adds to the tragic angle, and that worries me, especially with her discovery of Mommy's spellbook. Best case scenario, she's got some sort of tracking spell in mind to locate Diana, which is still going to end pretty badly once she realizes that Diana is with Nick's mom and everyone lied to her. Hell hath no fury like an over-protective Hexen-mom. 

This was yet another episode with literally zero wedding shenanigans on the Monrosalee front, but with finale only two weeks away, chances are that Grimm is saving the best for last. Also, another key has made its way to Portland, meaning the crazy is about to reach a boil once the Royals find out about it. I wouldn't be surprised if Prince Viktor somehow plays Adalind against Nick in a you-get-me-the-key-I-get-you-your-baby arrangement because that's how Viktor rolls, plus there's the promo for next week's episode that I'm not prepared to talk about because it gave me a lot of Renard feelings and they mostly sounded like, "NOOOOO." So I'll just be sitting here panicking until next Friday. 

ALL ABOARD AUNT MARIE'S BOOKMOBILE OF CRAZY

– Haha, Juliette is so over Trubel. 

– Trubel said that Juliette is lucky not to be married to Nick because that means she can walk away from his Grimm craziness at any time. Ugh, no, not this angstfest again. 

– I'm so amused by how everyone is totally over Nick's neediness. Monroe and Rosalee may have rationalized Nick's request by saying that it's good for them to see that not all Grimm are bad, but they were totally bored at being put on display yet again. 

– What are your predictions for the rest of the season? 

– Is Trubel's story as straightforward as it appears, or is there something more to it? I keep alternating between buying her story and not buying it. IDK. 

What did you think of "My Fair Wesen"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/20/2016

Season 5 : Episode 22

134 Comments
Comments (161)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I don't even know what to say. I am so shocked after reading a few of the reviews below. Granted I did not read all of the reviews so others may have conveyed this point of view but I cannot believe anyone watching this show enjoys this character Truble. I don't have anything against her directly or as a person of course, she is just a young girl trying to make a living as an actress, however, she is absolutely atrocious. Her acting makes me cringe in nearly every scene she is in. And I hate to say this because even though it's just a fun nonsense kind of show, I have been with Grimm since the very beginning and truly enjoy the hour of programming. But I fear they may have really jumped the shark. I know it's not Game of Thrones and that Grimm is just a quirky show that a solid number of people (including myself) have developed an affection but Truble is not only impacting the show with terrible acting the writing is directly contradicting the entire premise behind this show and what a Grimm is. As is the case with Nick and every other Grimm wehave met so far, when a Grimm looks at a Vessen he does not know, the vessen will vogue involuntarily and the mutual recognition is immediate. The vessen knows it is a grimm and the Grimm knows it's a vessen. That is the foundation/rock/ rule they built the show around! Nick cannot look at any vessen without knowing what they are and as soon as they see him they know what he is. However, Truble is some form of weak Grimm that only recognizes vessen sporadically and in a completely arbitrary manner. And likewise, unlike Nick they don't immediately know she is a Grimm. that breaks the rock of the foundation the show was built on. you can be an effective Grimm unless that mutual recognition takes place immediately every single time. or at least that's how they built the show.anyway this is really annoying me and I want her off the show immediately and Nick back to normal. Just like back to the future and the space time continuum if you set up a structure you cannot break the rules of that structure to accommodate the whims of a dumb plotline (which is exactly what they are doing right now). if she is not gone adap and Nick returned to normal soon with the rules back in place I will have to start fast forwarding until it happens!
More+
Flag
I know this is very belated, and you probably already know this now, but just in case:
Re: " As is the case with Nick and every other Grimm wehave met so far, when a Grimm looks at a Vessen(sp) he does not know, the vessen will vogue(sp) involuntarily and the mutual recognition is immediate."...

...That's not actually how it works. It never was. How it works is:

Wesen woge, to the point where Nick can see them, when they are upset or distraught. (Or when they do it on purpose.) Nick's presence doesn't cause them to do it; their feelings cause them to do it. Some are better at controlling it than others. That's why Nick frequently has to "make" Wesen woge by pushing them. The reason we see Wesen woge often around Nick, is that Nick is a homicide detective - a job that involves being around people who are upset a lot (either with grieving victims' families, or with perpetrators that Nick is pushing).

If and when a Wesen does woge in front of Nick, he sees them, and if they happen to see his eyes, then they see him as a Grimm as well. But sometimes they don't woge around him at all. And sometimes there's a significant delay before they woge. It's always been that way, ever since Season 1.
More +
Flag
I like the actress playing Truble, she is cute and all but really??!!! Too many people already know where the trailer is, too many people already know about Grimms and Wesen, etc. It's all just too!!! Nick is just one of an ensemble now. As a Grimm he is just ordinary now. I love this show, it is my fave but I enjoyed the mystery and secretive plotlines in the first 2 seasons. Now it seems more like a soap opera than a fantasy show.And I haven't watched As The Stomach Turns in years and years. Please, no more of the party in the trailer, etc. Back to basics!!
Flag
Oh I forgot to mention, there is enough to deal with already too, Nick's post zombie reaction, Wu's wesen encounter, Adalind's baby, etc. Shouldn't the producers deal with that first? Before adding another member to the trailer club?
Flag
Liking Trubel more and more although keep on confusing her with Bex Taylor-Klaus and really hope Wu gets in on the wesen club soon.
Flag
You really think Adalind is an "over-protective Hexen-mom" "taking action for a positive reason?" Seriously? IIRC, Adalind didn't even ask Victor how Diana was doing, how she was being cared for, or anything else that might indicate she gave a damn about her child's welfare.

So this return to scheming bitchiness isn't a step back but a failure to step forward. Adalind is over-POSSESSIVE, not protective, and her motives and morals are as crappy as they ever were.
Flag
Go back and listen to the dialogue - she did ask how the baby was doing and Viktor played her by saying she missed Adalind. Personally, I think Adalind is a lot more interesting now that the writers are trying to give her actual motivations than as the cardboard villain some people seem to want her to be.
Flag
Alright, first of all, I loved the episode and I love Trubel too.

Heres my theory about the finale and next season - Adalind opened the book by her blood, may be because she has "grimm's blood" in her. She will probably use it to take away Nick's power (which is probably is being blind in a grimm's world) and Nick would needs his new apprentice to get back his power and do the regular grimm stuff - thats why introducing Trubel is important during the last few episodes.
Flag
Loved the new Grimm Trubel! She has outsmarted Nick, by being more creative...i understand he is a cop etc etc...but come on...she kicked two wesen asses at once...was really nice....to be honest i like to see her in her leather jacket etc etc..
Adalind is really going to find her baby and when she finds out what really happened, she will be sooooooo mad...can't wait for it..
2 more episodes and in the preview, we saw a marriage but of Monroe or Nicks??? We say Renald getting shot...so much is going to happen....so excited..
Flag
Having a new Grimm might have been interesting if the job would have been about someone in their mid-20's. It just seems like the actress playing Truble (HORRIBLE NAME!!!) is trying too hard to be the angsty teenager. I would rather watch her play someone who knew she was a Grimm and objected to how Nick is treating Wesen. Not some horrible teenager who is learning everything about being a good girl Grimm from Nick.
Flag
Nobody told how old she is yet...she didn't drop out of highschool or something...and look at series as Glee were all adults plays teenagers who were freshmen when they started...
Flag
I just love Truble! Like how all Grimms have the inate ability to fight.
so who is the old man with the key? Old relative of Truble's?
Glad after 3 years finally another key!
is he a Grimm? Two episodes, so many things to get done.
Just a thought, was worried about Nick at the wedding, just imagine Truble!
Flag
I can only imagine that Trubel is going to be a plot device to use in a Nick vs. Adalind moment.
Flag
A new grimm and a new key on top of the scalp collectors omen, jedi-baby shenanigans and royal involvement all coming into play, I'd think of one word.... synchronicity! Trubel turning up at Portland may not be random after all.

Whatever Adalind is cooking, remember that she's doing Viktor bidding. Her purpose isn't getting her baby back from the Portland gang, so I don't see how taking away Nick's grimm power serve any purpose. He still carry a gun. I think it makes better sense Viktor wants to create friction between Renard and Nick so Adalind yet again uses Juliette! (I'm so going to hate this) I can only hope this is all just an illusion or something cause by her spell. Which bring me to my next point....

The grimm blood Adalind allegedly still have.... considering grimm blood can strip hexenbiest of her power, could it be that grimm's also immune to their spell? Is that why Adalind targeted Juliette (Hank & everyone else) instead of Nick directly before? If so, I guess she can now use her (grimm) blood in her spell which Nick will be vulnerable to like everyone else.... mass 'hallucination' that turn the gang against each other? Sounds more like what Viktor would want.
More+
Flag
That's an interesting theory about how Adalind having Nick's blood could make him more susceptible to her powers. It would make sense that Viktor would want to find a way to control Nick. But on the other hand he could simply want Adalind to make Nick more susceptible & then have him killed (not that the show would go that direction).
Flag
I still think Trubel is good for this show and this episode just proved it...

Wandering off on her own, not following "orders" and being stubborn about it is totally fitting her role: Firstly, she has major trust isssues, which is really no surprise regarding her history and secondly: She is still a bloody teenager, what the hell did you expect? Being all grateful, understanding and controllable by Nick and other authority figures?? That would be not believable at all!

She will come around in her own time and I love, how she keenly absorbs all new information she gets about the "Wesen World". And by the way, her solo action seemed quite efficient to me, bringing down two "Lebensauger" nearly without any help. I don't really get what all the fuss is about, she will be just great!

I also think, like some others, that she and Wu will bond on some level and I am excited how this will work out. All in all, I am happy to have Trubel on board!

Flag
I really like Trubel. I thought this episode set her up to be a potential as a full time secondary character on the show and I'm all for it. It is especially great as the actress who plays her was hired out of film school and this is her first professional acting job. I personally think she nailed it and if she doesn't get a full time role, she at least earned a SAG card and has one hell of good audition tape to show people.
Flag
Are there any Grimm who don't have tragic dead-parent-laden backstories?

Probably not. But it kind of makes sense in this world.

Trubel said that Juliette is lucky not to be married to Nick because that means she can walk away from his Grimm craziness at any time. Ugh, no, not this angstfest again.
Agreed. We may get it though; the producers hinted that Nick and Juliette would be facing some kind of relationship snag in the season finale. They also said it'd be something unexpected and new, so if it's THIS.....lying isn't nice, guys.
Flag
Tragic backstories would indeed be the norm for Grimms. After all, any random stranger they meet may abruptly go berserk and try to kill them with superpowers. That doesn't make for a long life expectancy.

And as far as Nick+Juliette's relationship troubles, how much you want to bet that it will be due (at least in part) to Adalind enchanting her way into Juliette's place? It's such an overused cliche that I really hope I'm wrong, but it's such an overused cliche that writers seem to use it every chance they get. :P
Flag
I'm sorry but I dont like Truble. She's annoying and I feel like her tendency to do what she wants when she wants and not listen is going to cause more trouble (no pun intended) than its worth.
Flag
I don't know if I'm onboard with Trubel yet, I'm still not sure of her. And I can definitely understand Juliette's point of view. I don't think I'd have been as patient as Juliette and put up with Trubel's antics.

I guess Adalind is not getting a redemption arc, she's going full-in on the evil hexenbiest deal. Nick will have to put her out of his misery.

I guess this episode was the calm before the storm.
Flag
One thing I have to ask. How did she (Trubel) get her fighting skills? I mean, seriously.. It's one thing to be a Grimm, but it doesn't give you those skills....
Flag
Doesn't it?

Back when Nick was dealing with the Lowen who were running the gladiator ring, Monroe told Nick to dig down and access the knowledge of all of his ancestors, and Nick suddenly got much, much better at fighting. Prior to that, his fighting level was just at the level of a regular cop, but since then, it's been on a different level.

Occasionally, he gets even better than usual, usually when he's either really pissed, or the danger is really severe. Like when he was taking down the blindness-causing Wesen (while blind), or when he was fighting the Schakal who worked for the Dragon's Tongue who wanted the coins.

Plus, Trubel has been fighting for her life since she became a Grimm, which was years ago (she was a Grimm when she saw the Siegbarste who killed her foster parents, and it's heavily implied that this was years ago, since we know she's "been in and out of halfway houses and mental institutions ever since" - it takes time to be "in and out" of halfway houses and mental institutions.)
Flag
Perhaps you are right.. :)
Flag
Well wasn't Trubel in a mental institution and had jumped around foster homes since whatever much earlier age girl Grimms come into their power? I mean she never had a Monroe or a...you know the refrigerator repair guy to turn to. I am giving her the benefit of the doubt and honestly expecting her to volunteer a project to organize the trailer.

I do sort of hope they play up the connection between her and Wu. I sense that her running to comfort the other girls is a part of her personality that will make her want to reach out to him which in turn will make Hank like her. Hey is she really actually Scott McCall?
Flag
If it does turn out to be Juliette kissing Renard, could one of the cliffhangers be that Nick gets framed for Renard's attempted assassination?
Flag
I doubt Nick would be framed for Renard's attempted assassination, considering that they also showed a scene of Nick presumably visiting Renard in the hospital.
Flag
Hard to tell if that was Nick and couldn't see who was being visited.
Flag
As it's been said, Trubel is a breath of fresh air. The show needed this kind of character on a regular basis: a female character taking proactive measures in the hunt of bad Wessen, an apprentice for Nick, and a source for, well, trouble. The core characters are male, and the women are more in supporting roles like the faithful woman behind great men thing. OK, there's Mamma Burkhart, but she disappears for such long periods, I forget she exists.

The transformation of Trubel into True Belle was interesting. Even in a posh dress and forcing a smile, she was still looking rough around the edges. Great actress work.

I also liked the way Trubel acted without thinking, and her surprise when there were two Wessens instead of one. What if that were a nest of evil Wessens? However, on the other hand, Nick and Hank seemed too eager to give up on leads Trubel followed, and that seemed out of character.

I loved the way Adalind found out how the spell book opened. It seems logical that the book would only open for her mother or someone closely related. I just hope Hank and Wu don't eat any cookies of unknown origin.
More+
Flag
Don't get why anybody would be surprised at Adalind acting like her "good" old self. Just watching the glimpse of flashback with her mother is reason enough not to give her any living creature to care for. It's funny that everyone so conveniently keeps forgetting that the witch sold her baby to the highest bidder to get her powers back. Perhaps she could be a bearable mother if she was a Hexenbiest without powers.
I hope, that Trubel stays a while with Nick and doesn't turn out to be a traitor. That would be a bummer, because I'd like her as part of the Dream Team and Wu, of course. Please, he needs to be in the loop, the poor bloke is suffering from nightmares! Someone end his misery.
And stop harrassing Juliette. Really! I think, she's turned out to be great. And I want her and Nick to be married as soon as possible.
Don't know what Adalind is planning with that spell book, but I'd be really pissed, if she messes with Juliette, again.
If so, I'm hoping that Trubel gets to her and ends that annoying creature once and for all. If only Nick had done that when he had the opportunity, that would have spared everyone a lot of trouble.
More+
Flag
Agree on Adalind. I said earlier that being a good and protective mother doesn't make her good person by default. She could still love her child and be her old, nasty hexenbeast.

And I think that once she gets back on track she'll have scores to settle. Nick for taking her powers and having her go through reclamation ritual, Reynard for giving her baby away. Juliett for.... well, she'll find something.
Flag
This delusional notion that Adalind was ever anything but conniving, selfish, serf-centred and evil is starting to become a bit annoying, miss MaryAnn. She didn't "go back" to anything--she was never anything else to begin with and so there is no "setback" for the story as a whole.
Flag
In fairness, the writing team tried to portray Adalind during the "Escape from Europe" phase as being a bit less self-centred and evil. She seemed thankful to Meisner, for instance, when she had no need to be if she was merely self-centred and evil.

So maybe she was basically evil and self-centred, but she has on occasion not been during the current story arc. Granted, given the current story arc has been going on all season, a writer could have slipped anything in by accident. Like I noted in another thread, the writing staff seems intent on making us feel very nine months of Adalind's pregnancy in real time.
Flag
I didn't at all read it as her being nice or even thankful to him (which, of course, is a matter of subjective processing of the material). I read it as her finding him attractive and wanting in his pants a little to badly for a pregnant lady with an enchanted baby she doesn't even really know the true condition of. I suppose this is why my overall perception of her has been consistent to her showing not an inkling of even a desire to "change for the better", let alone any actual change.
Flag
She seemed to pretty sincerely thank him even after she gave birth, and regret their leaving each other when she headed off with Kelly. Not in a "Gee, sorry you might not get the chance to sacrifice your life to keep me safe" way, but a "I've grown fond of you and wish you weren't going" kind of way.
Flag
I am still having a little problem with the fact that almost everyone seems to be a wesen but ok. I think that Truble is definitly a good thing. I like her and her badass style. So hopefully she will become a regular or at least get a spin off because otherwise I will lose the last remaining faith I have in the writers.
Flag
It's a show about wessen world. If we'd see one new wessen (that is not Monroe, Rosalee and Reynard) every few eps and otherwise just huans we'd complain about fantasy show not having fantasy elements.
Flag
Mentioned this earlier (earlier episode), but I think this is largely viewer bias. That is, we remember the Wesen, we don't remember the non-Wesen, and therefore think that everybody is Wesen. :)

Wesen in this episode:
- Monroe and Rosalee
- The Mausherz girl at the halfway house
- The Lebensauger couple

Non-Wesen in this episode:
- Everybody else (probably) at the halfway house
- the victim
- the other two girls at the Lebensauger's house

For a few other examples, from earlier episodes:
I remember mentioning this after the episode with the radioactive healer Russian Wesen, when people mentioned that everybody was Wesen. But the killers weren't Wesen in that episode... they were human. But nobody remembers that, because the Wesen are far more memorable.

And in the episode with the Wesen gang and the kid that witnessed the murder needing to go under police protection, and also turning out to be Wesen... people complained there that everybody was Wesen. But, again... the killers weren't Wesen. The victims were, and the two people Hank was protecting, but the killers were a rival gang from Seattle, and they were human. But, again, nobody remembers that. Viewer bias. :)
More +
Flag
I know I know and of course it is a supernatural show and therefore there have to be some. But it feels to me like that everytime they meet someone
it´s a Wesen. And of course there were also non Wesen in this episode but it always feels like there are just a few compared to the Wesen and that is of course subjectiv but it is something that bothers me. I think it would probably better work with Nick working in a special Taskforce that is specialized in Wesen cases or something like that. I think It would help the fact that all murders they investigate are Wesen or Wesen related.
Flag
i decided i like Trubel.
Flag
I like trubel. But one problem I have is that this is yet another plot of this season riddled with subplots. We haven't had any mention of the key, we haven't had any solid mention of Nick's new powers or any of that since what the second or third episode. Trubel feels like she should be a 4th season addition. Rather than something tacked on to the end of the third season. I don't know. I like it, but it just kind of adds to the sporadic nature of this season.

Overall though she was great. I liked her addition to the group, I like that Juliette seems uncomfortable with it. I thought the parts with Moroe and Rosalee was hilarious. Even Hank's jadedness about all of this was hilarious. But overall it was an introduction to Trubel with only a few episodes left to wrap up everything that we have seen this season. I trust the writers of the show, they have done some great season finales, I just can't see where they are heading with all of this.
Flag
It wold serve well as season finale. The scene where Nick, Monroe and Hank catch her would be good cliffhanger, with Monroe shouting "She's a grimm!" Nick looks at her and...... episode ends.
Flag
That is an excellent idea.
Flag
I'm loving the addition of Trubel, I think she's an awesome character and a breath of fresh air.
Flag
Amazing plot and development! I'm just curious what do the script writers take to come up with such brilliant ideas?! I want the same too!
Flag
I think last night's episode of Grimm was good. I still don't like the storyline with Trubel but I thought she did a good job helping Nick and Hank with the case. I don't like the idea of Adiland being evil again. With all the craziness going on in the episode I still liked it. I just hope that Trubel is not here to stay.

Flag
I looked up the actress playing Trubel, which is Jacqueline Toboni, and it is apparently her first job. She does it well. I like her. I like her style too. I see a spin-off coming with her as the Grimm in some other city or drifting through the country helping people and/or killing bad Vessen.
I don't think she will be a series regular since they could have done that with Nicks mother.
It would be cool to see a Grimm at work who is not a police officer. Maybe one that is not bound to one place.
Can't wait to see how this develops.
Flag
She's a dead ringer for a younger Demi Moore, the way she looked in Ghosts. But she's doing a fine job, hope to see more of her yet
Flag
My bad: obviously the movie was called Ghost. Call off the flame war.
Flag
technically there was more than one ghost in that movie :-)

but you are right, the resemblance is there.
Flag
The actress who plays Trubel is definitely a star in the making, hope they make her a regular cast member . She can replace Juliette!
Flag
Please kill Adalind, thank you :)
Flag
The show, if anything, needs more female characters, not fewer.
Flag
Nah, I'll gladly swap Adalind with Theresa :)
Adalind storyline is extremely boring, it always feels like a choir to watch it instead of enjoying some good villain.
Flag
You mean a chore, right? A choir is a group of people that sings together a capela in churches and
Flag
@GoranBelaj - Definitely. I used to ask for that a lot, until someone in the staff kindly explained to me people would edit their comments and deny saying what had been replied to, and that would cause havoc EVERYWHERE!!!
Flag
Yes :blush:

This forum needs edit button, lol
Flag
and schools.
Flag
Actually, I think it's pretty even, if you just look at the numbers.

Males in the main cast:
- Nick
- Sean
- Hank
- Monroe

Females in the main cast:
- Juliette
- Rosalee
- Adalind
- Teresa (? main cast?)

Although Juliette (and, arguably, Rosalee, although I would argue that she has saved the day even more times than Monroe) could be argued as being in supporting roles, you could make the same argument for Hank. And Trubel definitely looks like she has the potential to be a central character. Assuming she lasts, which she might not... the actress who plays her said in an interview that she was going back to college "after finishing shooting."
Flag
the actress who plays her said in an interview that she was going back to college "after finishing shooting."

She graduated on Friday just gone.
Flag
You forgot Wu. Sure, and with Mamma Burkhart it's even in numbers, but not in relevance, I mean. The police precinct is a boys' club.
Flag
I never noticed that but you are totally right. Where the hell are all the female cops? Even the beat cops are guys. The only chick I can (recall) seeing is the medical examiner. And the ex-cop/wesen from... Mexico(?) who was only there for one episode.
Flag
A while back I had wondered why Nick was sleeping on the sofa in the living room - wouldn't such a large house have more than one bedroom? Well, one look at the wallpaper in the guestroom and I would have opted for the couch too.
Flag
I thought it was only a so-so episode. I like the idea of Trubel the baby Grimm, but they are a bit heavy handed with it, or something. I agree with the "seriously?" moments. I did like Wu's scene at the station when he remembered his nightmares... I'm glad they're not dropping the fact that Wu has seen Wesen with his own eyes.
Flag
I kept hoping that maybe in one of those moments either Trubel or someone else would say something that would force the question about wesen. It drives me crazy how much the writers are toying with our affections in regard to Wu being let into the gang. At this point I'd really prefer that they stop skirting the point and finally address something.
Flag
It was a fun episode!
  • Trubel was a little predictable in her clumsy awkward fearless teenage act but at least, she really kicks ass as a grimm... certainly against the two evil wessen of the week, she was holding her own even before the cavalry arrived. She is already a lot more interesting than Juliette who is totally miffed about having a roommate (hint: Juliette take a sabbatical). I tend to buy Trubel's story at face value but there may be more to it...
  • No surprises that Adalind is evil again. When was she not? She was a sympathetic character for 5 minutes when they took her baby away but surely everyone agrees the baby is better far away from her. Adalind sold the baby to get her Hexen powers back so pleeeaase... I do not get why everyone (Renard, looking at you!) buys her contrite act... They should buy her a ticket to the Moon IMO...
Flag
I really think that it's high time they brought Woo into the Grimm family. If anything, he could make a good partner for Trubel. Think Watcher and Slayer. In the meantime, he could help by digitizing Nick's books. If any of Nick's enemies found out about the trailer, they could steal his books or worse, burn them down. Besides his Grimm-oirs, as in written account of past experiences, would fade with age. (Or is it, Grimm-oire, as in magical instruction book. It's probably both.)
Flag
I love the new plot twist with Jacqueline Toboni as Trubel. She is one of those people that smoulder on the screen. I predict that this is just a stepping stone for Jacqueline. For now, she adds a lot of excitement to the Grimm family.
Flag
1) trubel is a great character - just make sure she doesn't overshadow Nick - that's going to be a balancing act for the writers.
2) yep - definitely Juliette kissing Renard - that would be the "betrayal" and would explain the finale synopsis suggesting Nick and Juliette's relationship in crisis.
3) looks like Weston the rogue FBI agent is going to catch up with Renard - one of the cliffhangers could be whether or not he survives.
4) agreed about Adalind - seems like she took Viktor up on his bargain and is trying to cast a spell on Nick to take away his powers - Renard is catching on, but probably gets shot before he can do anything about it.
Flag
Actually, considering how much they've shown in the promo, I kinda doubt that will be one of the major cliffhangers this season. Otherwise, they wouldn't have made such a big deal about Renard in the promos. My guess is that Renard getting shot happens in the last moments of episode 21 & causes some angst going into episode 22.
Flag

and boy is he pissed!
Flag
I really hate the character's name. It's kind of a stretch to go from Teresa RHU-bell to Truh-bul, pronunciation-wise. Also, despite the fact she probably picked up the nickname while in the foster system as a joke, no one seems to joke about it on the show.

If someone came up to me and said, "Hi, I'm Trouble!", wisecracking would ensue. After the eyerolling and the exasperated sigh, that is.
Flag
Really? T. Rubel to Trubel? Phonetic pronunciation, you don't see it? :-)

To me it's very cleverly done.
Flag
It's not a phonetic pronunciation, it's a visual similarity.

It Teresa's last name was pronounced "Rubble" like "Barney Rubble," then it would be a phonetic pronunciation.

That also raises the question, when Teresa says, "They call me Trubel/Trouble," which is she saying?
Flag
Calling the new girl Trubel is a nice pun (probabyl intended). Trubel is a german word which usually has a positive meaning. Like saying "Weihnachts-Trubel", which means Christmas cheer or hubbub. The English trouble is more negative like irritation, anger, problems and so on. And as Theresa isn't really a very cheerful person, I find her name very funny.

Flag
Trouble is german, it means the same like in english troubles. And yes she is.
Like Frau Pech, she was very unlucky; she died. In german Pech means misfortune, bad luck.

Flag
I for one am aboard the Truble train; Nick being a cop means he (almost) always plays by the rules. Truble could get things done in other ways, whenever necessary. I also hope we get to see more of Wu in times to come, I feel like his character is being somewhat wasted.
Flag
Very good episode, it had some really great moments. Truble seems like she is holding something back for a newbie Grimm she can actually handle herself in a fight she has some skills and I wasn't expecting that so to me that shows she's not being honest, also truble seems to really like Nick I just hope she doesn't try to fight Juliette for his attention. Next week looks epic however I want to know why Juliette is kissing Reynard.
Flag
As for Juliette kissing Renard... it might be tactical. It feels... tactical. Either that, or a dream that they're just playing up in the previews. It might involve a Hexenbiest spell, but I really hope it's not that kind... again... been there, done that.

Assuming it is Juliette. I saw a woman with black hair who looked vaguely like Juliette for about a quarter of a second, before their lips locked.
Flag
I hope it's not Adelind doing another curse I have hope in this show that there past that. Fingers crossed.
Flag
Trubel isn't really a newbie Grimm, no matter what way you look at it. She's definitely been a Grimm for some time... this is just (apparently) the first time she knew anything about it. Sounded like her first experience seeing Wesen was the Siegbarste who killed her foster parents - and from her records, it definitely sounds like she hasn't has foster parents in years. My guess: she's actually been a Grimm since she was probably about 10.

Since then, she's been fighting for her life, so naturally, she's good at it.

Plus, she's a Grimm. According to Monroe, Grimms have an ancestral memories of fighting styles, which has been borne out during times when Nick is just suddenly really, really skilled at fighting... much more so than a regular cop would be. I saw this as more of the same.
Flag
Ok sometimes I see all that but I get caught up in the moment and need an out side opinion to put things in perspective.
Flag
I have a feeling that Hexen spell involved somehow.
Flag
Maybe good theory
Flag
I keep expecting her to be bad like faith in the vampire slayer...I hope they don't take it in that direction.
Flag
Very good episode. Trubel (or Theresa, which sounds MUCH better for her) did good with those two wesen. It did surprise me to see that one of the captives was the same wesen as her captor. While Theresa is still raw and a little unhinged at times, I don't blame her for what she did to those two wesen. She handled herself very well, and to me, they got what they deserved. Now at some point, she does need to show some better judgement, but she played this case out right. Nick is definitely doing right by her, especially introducing her to Monroe and Rosalee; showing her that not all wesen are mean or evil. Also, judging by the ending, you could tell that Nick was getting through to her well done. I did like Juliette's reaction to this, cause if I were in her position, I would've reacted very similar. Basically, the kid has a learning curve to follow, so I'll definitely cut her some slack like Nick has.

The old guy with the key at the end was quite startling to see. I can't wait to see where this leads to.

As for Aadiland, still not sympathizing with her in any way. As far as that book she found, I think it'll only spell trouble for, well, EVERYONE!!! That woman will always be a pain in the ass to somebody.
More+
Flag
Except for the bit at the end about Adalind, I agree with everything you said! I'm really excited about the addition of Teresa :) (Yeah, "Trubel" just sounds so lame doesn't it?)
Flag
how did the old man get the key?
Flag
thats not nick's key, the preview to the next episode clearly says "with a new key in town."
Flag
Better question is WHO is the old man?
Flag
Bernard, from the tail section
Flag
LMBO!!!! OH my goodness, you had me holding my sides laughing on that one!
Flag
I suspect there is more of a connection than just distant relatives...

My only issue is we couldn't have introduced her earlier? I mean we appear to be getting a full mythology episode next week but don't we want more?

I like Trubel a lot but I got a sense she is going to be more dependent on the ladies going forward just simply as role models. I suspect the worse thing we can worry about her with is Nick will wake to find all the trailer weapons in his living room and she decides to follow more of an Aunt Marie path so takes off in the trailer. I mean they keep focusing on her journaling which Nick barely bothers with that I think that must be important.
Flag

My only issue is we couldn't have introduced her earlier? I mean we appear to be getting a full mythology episode next week but don't we want more?

They had all sorts of problems casting Trubel .The showrunners said they auditioned hundreds of women for the role before they stumbled on Jaqueline at U of Michigan .There was a good interview on Today about it

http://www.today.com/video/today/55096022/#55096022
Flag
Is it me or did nobody thought Trubel may have stole the key that was in the old man hand at the end of the ep.?
Flag
The key shown at the end is an entirely different key than the one Renard returned to Nick. (There are, what, seven keys, remember?) This is a second key. :)
Flag
I think Trubel is on the up and up. I think Wu's question that he asked her at the scene where the body was found, was premonitory. She will probably join the 'family business'--become a Grimm cop, that is.
Flag
I don't see how Wu kept in the dark about what a "wesen" is for too much longer the way things are piling up this season....
Flag
I know right?! It's kind of breaking my heart, actually, how he must be suffering and hiding it from everyone. Tell him the truth already! :(
Flag
I really hope Wu finds out in the season finale
Flag
This is really @Katerine_M, but yes! They are really throwing lots of plot points at us, aren't they? I was surprised at the addition of Teresa this late in the season. They could have pushed it over to next season, and give it some room to grow. If they are able to balance everything and neatly wrap up everything this season, well, that will just be a feat to go down in television history! :D
Flag
I hope he finds out sometime next season. I'm all for lots of plot points converging, but right now, we're looking at:

- Trubel
- MonRosalee's wedding, which, given that it's scheduled for the finale, will probably be disastrous. :(
- The new key in town
- Adalind plotting against Nick at Viktor's request
- Wu's storyline
- The godlike baby being raised by Nick's mom
- The Wesen Council, and their mysterious "monitoring" of Nick
- Viktor's new interest in Nick
- The still-unresolved issue of Nick's zombie thing

...and that's just off the top of my head.

At least some of these storylines need their climaxes put off to next season, or we'll be overwhelmed. Really, in two more episodes, we can probably only handle Trubel, Adalind, the wedding, and maybe brief glimpses of the other plotlines.
Flag
WTF reaction by Juliet ( and how Theresa blurted out how she could walk away when things went bad) was great!
Flag
  • Nick
    • He really wants to help Trubel but he needs to get a hold on her. I doubt his mother would have let her get away with so much. Kelly is tough, but she is also smart, quick on her feet, and can be careful as well as subtle when she needs to.
    • He needs to make it clear that they cannot keep covering up these wesen deaths. Maybe he can let her know that it is alright to fight and subdue the bad wesen but instead of always killing them, she needs to call Nick or Hank to bring in the subdued wesen.
  • Adalind
    • I knew from the moment she could not open that potion book that there was a blood lock on it. How she did not figure it out until the end of the episode (even though it was accidental) is beyond me. I mean its not like she never made a potion before, and her mother had to have been the one to train her. One would have thought blood locks would have been covered.
    • They say that the best lie(s) have an element of truth in them. She did so on Renard last week and then again this week. It looks like he is going to figure some things out next week and get shot by either the verrat or Adalind so hopefully he is ok.
  • Trubel
    • I know there is a learning curve, and that she has been through a lot but she needs to learn subtlety and not be so rash in judgement. Getting into someone's face does not always work, and Nick has been trying to build at least some trust in the wesen community by showing he will not necessarily kill them.
    • She is a pretty good fighter but as I said before, she needs to learn how to subdue, and not necessarily kill every bad wesen she comes across. She needs to calm down on her confrontations with wesen that way it is at least a little easier for her to deal with both the good and bad wesen. She can't be so in your face and antagonistic.
  • Not much MonRosalee this week again which is sad, but at least we will see the wedding so which will be interesting.
  • It looks like the key(s) will be brought up again and we'll see Bernard (LOST) next week as one of the key's owners.
More+
Flag
While I agree that it's always better to arrest suspects, even murderous wesen, than kill them, I have no problem with Trubel killing this week's two villains. Not only had they already killed one hostage and were keeping two more hostage, once they found out that Trubel was a Grimm, they could have walked or run away. Instead, they attack an (almost) unarmed young woman and force her hand. Killing them in self defense and in defense of the other two hostages is the definition of a justifiable homicide.

As for Nick's approach, I think he's done better with her than anyone else, including his mother, could have. The only suggestion I would make going forward from here is to agree on a few behavior boundaries for Trubel while he mentors her. Nick's mother, who's far more proactive about killing wesen even when they don't at all deserve it than Nick or Trubel, lacks the patience or, quite frankly, moral compass to mentor a young Grimm. I've long suspected Nick turned out as well as he did because he was raised by Marie rather than Kelly.
Flag
  • Oh, don't get me wrong I know this can be considered a justifiable homicide. Its just that Nick can only cover up so many murders and she has to be careful otherwise she is going to get arrested again at some point. Nick/Hank can only protect her so much.
  • I do think that Nick is doing alright with her. He just needs to set up some boundaries with her.
  • I also know that Kelly is more the old style Grimm than Nick is. She has been living on her own, and she lost her husband and she had to give up her son to protect him.
    • I think she does have some patience and she is going to have to be patient since she is raising Diana. Its just she is used to making quick decisions and it has helped her to survive.
    • I wouldn't necessarily say she lacks a moral compass, its just that like Marie she is more the old style Grimm. Even Marie was suspicious of Monroe when he was trying to protect her as a favor for Nick.
    • Nick learned about this Grimm stuff when Marie was dying and after her death. Therefore, since she kept him out of the loop so long, which is the opposite of how her and Kelly grew up, it allowed him to be more normal. The other thing is that Nick is a cop. Therefore, his ideas about bringing someone in alive instead of just killing them is a part of it as well. Between those two things and the fact that he actually became friends with Wesen (Monroe, Rosalee, Bud) he feels the need to deal with wesen differently than Trubel, his mother or even his aunt would have.
More +
Flag
OMG. I totally thought I would hate her or she would ruin things, but can I just say I love Teresa? (I'm not going to call her Trubel -- sorry, that's just lame), but wow! She is just like Nick. I kinda hope she'll turn out to be related to him somehow - like a cousin, maybe a half sister? Anyway, I feel like this girl is just going to be awesome, and with a (steep, maybe?) "learning curve" she'll be a great addition to the Scooby Gang. :)

Also, I thought I just had a WTF moment there with the previews -- was that Juliette kissing Renard? (It was so fast, maybe I saw it wrong...)
Flag
I looked at the freeze frame, has to be Juliette, sadly. Looks like Adalind's going to pull that same old trick again and it'd be Nick shooting Renard. Gosh, sounds like soap opera..... couldn't be happier to be wrong here!
Flag
Mentioned this elsewhere, but I actually read that completely differently.

I think that Adalind will place some sort of spell on either Nick or Renard, and Juliette will have to kiss Renard in order to save him. Haven't figured it out beyond that point, but the kiss definitely seemed strategic. Besides, Adalind can't be that repetitive, can she? She's already done the deadly passion spell twice... it seems like that's all she ever does.

I'm a little more confused about the preview in light of what Viktor said. He said that Adalind has the blood of the Grimm in her, and that makes HIM (meaning Nick) vulnerable. That implies she's going to cast a spell on Nick, doesn't it? It sounded that way to me... so why the focus, both Adalind's and the show's preview's, on Renard instead?

And when Renard was shot... I assumed it was either Adalind or some Royal. Or maybe Trubel, come to think of it... that's definitely a possibility.
Flag
I agree. Doing the same spell again seems a bit much, and not a good choice on the part of TPTB.

I think Viktor is referencing to when Nick kissed Adalind, and in defense she bit him and probably inevitably swallowed some of his blood? (Jeez, that was a disturbing scene)

I didn't notice who may have shot Renard. I'll have to watch that preview again...
Flag
Writers seemed to be foreshadowing trouble btwn Nick and Juliette when Trubel made the comment about how not being married meant "you can get out at any time." Probably Weston (C. Thomas Howell) who shoots or tries to shoot Renard. Nobody said anything about him this week, but he's still skulking around and listed in the cast for next week.
Flag
Oh, right! I totally forgot about him...
Flag
Ugh! I was hoping someone would come on be like "What? That wasn't Juliette! You so crazy...", but I guess not. But if what you said were to happen... I hope you're wrong, too. :)
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I couldn't tell if that was Juliette either. I think the woman playing Teresa was an acting student and she did good enough in some class that she was put on the show. Whether or not she will become more permanent we will see. I don't think she is just like Nick, he at least would have tried to bring both the Lebensauger's in instead of necessarily killing both of them.
Flag
Regarding Teresa being just like Nick...

I see it more as a "there but for the grace of God"-type thing. So, yes, she's just like Nick. And she isn't. She's what Nick would have been if he:
  • became a Grimm at 10 and not at 30
  • didn't have Marie to explain the truth to him
  • didn't have the trailer
  • didn't become a cop prior to becoming a Grimm, and therefore didn't have a cop's code of conduct to follow
  • didn't have the experience of reading about how Blutbaden are all horrific vicious creatures who eat little girls... and then meeting Monroe, and therefore learning, through example, that the books don't always have it right
  • didn't have Monroe consistently explaining things from the Wesen perspective that his ancestors never put into the books
Flag
I guess when I said she was "just like Nick" I meant in temperament. The way she acts - and even sometimes the way she looks (some of her expressions seemed so similar like when she accosted that girl at the halfway home). Obviously (as you listed) there are huge logistic differences between them. I should have been clearer.
Flag
About Teresa: I disagree actually. This wasn't really a case where Teresa could have talked them out of it. The Lebensauger cornered her (quite predatorily I might add), for one, and then his partner. He was going to hurt her before he even found out she was a Grimm. It was a do or die situation, and we've seen Nick in situations like this before. She's definitely rough around the edges, but based on what happened to her throughout her life, it would have been so easy for her to just end up hating all Wesen and go down the path of revenge. What especially impressed me was at the end when she ran to check on the two girls. It showed empathy and care - something that she could have lost due to her experiences, and something that she needs to be the "GrimmCop" that Nick is. It also showed that everything she did, while rash, was for justice and not out of a blatant hatred of Wesen. It would be interesting to see how she would react in situations of Wesen on Wesen violence, or where the Wesen may be the victim. However, based on this episode, I think in the end Teresa will end up becoming an asset and bringing to the team more good than... well, "trubel".

More +
Flag
  • I am not saying that her fighting and necessarily killing them was wrong. But we have seen Nick fight plenty of wesen, subdue them and bring them in like any cop would do. He has said numerous times that he would rather bring the wesen in than kill it.
  • Yes, she did show empathy towards the two girls and made sure they were alright, and I never said that she killed the wesen because of hatred because of her past experiences.
  • What I was trying to get at is that even when she does get into a very tense fight (or other situation) with a wesen, sometimes she just needs to subdue them and call Nick/Hank to bring them in. If you pay attention, he wanted to make sure Trubel got out of the building before the other cops came. If she does not learn to do this, then Nick is going to have to keep covering for her, and he has already covered up wesen deaths where he was the one that killed the wesen, or someone close to him did.
    • The more that die in a fight instead of being subdued, the more likely she will end up in jail, or Nick will get investigated by Internal Affairs Division of the department and Hank will likely get investigated as well since he is Nick's partner. Renard (as long as he is around) can only do so much without casting suspicion onto himself as he has done some covering up himself.
More +
Flag
Actually I agree with most everything you wrote here. I think we're just looking at these facts from different perspectives. Everything you listed, was everything I considered when I said Teresa was rough around the edges. I am in no way saying she is perfect and ready. Teresa has a lot to learn, and it is all clearly evident. I'm just saying that I have more optimistic expectations of her.

Also, my remark about her killing Wesen out of hatred, wasn't directed at you. Of course, you never said that. I was saying that based on her experiences, it was a very easy path to go down. Personally, I was afraid she may go down that path. After Friday's episode, I feel more confident that she won't travel down that path.

As for her killing the Lebensauger (which I think you may be more focused on), I still think she wasn't given much choice. Yes, I think anyone would have noticed that Nick wanted to make sure she left before the other cops came. But, we've seen situations like this in other episodes, where the situation was just too sticky to be wrapped up with a bow and handed to the Portland Police. She was cornered and undercover, and then revealed to be a Grimm. It was not the best situation to learn how to subdue/negotiate.

Again, (because I feel I need to reiterate here) I don't think she's perfect, but she could have made worse (more violent, less just) choices and didn't. I think she will learn, though, and when she does she will be a great addition to the team. :)

More +
Flag
Follow this Show
Members