A Grimm Community
Friday 8:00 PM on NBC (Returning Fall 2016)

Grimm S03E18: "The Law of Sacrifice"

For a second there, I was sincerely worried that Momma Grimm was gonna bite it. I mean, we had the simliarities between Kelly and Adalind and their relationships to their children, and then we had Renard basically asking, "Hey, you'd die for my monster baby, right?" as Momma Grimm felt ongoing pangs of guilt for the effect absence had on Nick as he grew up thinking she was dead. The baby was still unnamed at the episode's halfway point, and that was my theory: Kelly Burkhardt was going to pull a big damn hero routine and the unnamed baby Hexenbeist would be called Kelly in her honor and it would be a big emotional moment for everyone. And in the end, I was wrong. 

I ain't even mad. 

"The Law of Sacrifice" had so many WTF moments and such a big, surprising pay-off that it felt, at times, like a season finale (and don't think I'm not worried about the fact that it felt like a finale even though we still have several episodes to go before summer vacation omg plz don't blow it, Grimm, this season has been so gooood). 

The titular law of sacrifice enabled Grimm's good guys and gals to win while simultaneously losing. Kelly didn't go to prison for murdering Adalind's mom a bazillion episodes ago, Renard and Adalind (and the wee baby Diana) got to live, the newly named baby didn't have to go live with her sucky super-villain relatives. Winning, all around. 

But then there are the catches: I'm not entirely sure how Kelly's freedom was granted. I'm sure Renard had a huge say in it, but now Adalind knows who offed her mother and that could easily drive a wedge between their tentative partnership. Adalind and Renard will no longer be hunted by the Royals, but their child is now in the care of a flighty Grimm, and while Renard knows that Diana is safe, Adalind thinks the baby is with the Royals and she thinks Renard is the one who gave her to them, and that's going to be messy. Maybe he'll bring her into the plan; it's not like Kelly didn't basically tell Adalind what was up during her little spiel in the interrogation room, but honestly, it would be safer for the baby if as few people as possible know where she is—including her mother. 

The Kelly/Adalind, Diana/Nick parallels were strong in this one. 

The law of sacrifice is also an Old Testament biblical concept; God's decree to Adam and Eve, post-Eden, was that they would sacrifice the firstborn of their herds as atonement for their sins. With so much attention paid to Diana's "specialness" and the repeated assertions that she's much more than just a baby Hexenbeist, there can never be too many biblical allusions. It's been implied a few times that Diana is some sort of Wesen messiah, and in Christianity, if I'm correctly recalling Sunday school from 20 years ago and a broad Wikipedia overview, the notion of animal sacrifices—the law of sacrifice—was voided by the death of Jesus: the ultimate sacrifice. As both Adalind and Renard's firstborn and the possible Wesen messiah, the hugeness of Diana's importance can't be ignored... and yet, so much is still unclear. She wasn't even properly named until this week! (And what a great name for a baby Wesen messiah: Diana, goddess of the hunt, women, childbirth, and—haha?—animals.) 

That's really not a problem, and if anything, it serves to alleviate some of my worry that "The Law of Sacrifice" wrapped up too much too fast with too much season left and not enough story to tell, but really, we're still just exploring the outermost layers of Diana's potential. 

With the temporary sorta conclusion to the Monster Baby storyline, Grimm has regained its momentum and then some. I can't believe we're taking another break, though. Really? I mean, really? See you April 25, kids!

ALL ABOARD AUNT MARIE'S BOOKMOBILE OF CRAZY

– "You find that attractive? Really?" —Nick

– Poor Hank. 

– Have we revised our Monster Baby theories at all? 

– More Monrosalee wedding planning, plz. 

– Adalind's scene outside the police station, with the woging and the screaming, hit me right in the feels. 

– Diana's sass is so amazing and she's only like, what, a few weeks old? Love it. Love her slamming the locket shut and drawing skulls with scalding hot coffee. <3

What'd you think of "The Law of Sacrifice"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/20/2016

Season 5 : Episode 22

130 Comments
Comments (130)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Super fun episode and great review! Grimm has kicked it up a couple of notches! Adalind is going to be one pissed off mommy! Not sure how her and Renard will reconcile. That scene was brutal! Hopefully she can realize it's all for the best. Momma Grimm seems a little too happy having Diana, but Diana picked her so I suppose it's ok. Can't wait for the next episode!
Flag
When Diana closed the locket I said out loud with my family in the room "You better step off son." They all started laughing so hard. It was great. And then this show did the one thing I thought it never could, it made me feel feelings for Adalind.
Flag
Yeh! Feelings for Adalind? Where'd those come from? Didn't know it could happen but it did!
Flag
I think this episode of Grimm was not as good as the episode Synchronicity. I also think that is a good thing that baby Diana is safe. I also believe that Adalind will raise some hell over what happened. I am looking forward to the next episode of Grimm.
Flag
Oh oh Diana is gone with Grimm's mother...Adalind is going to be so pissed and Rynard and the Grimm...that cannot go well..
Flag
No one has mentioned, what with the baby now named Diana...

Wonder Woman!
Flag
A random complaint...why is NBC doing this to Grimm? Wasn't the Olympics enough of a break? This was what, two episodes after another break and now two weeks. And according to my tv guide, its not even like Dateline has a two hour special next week. And last I checked, NBC doesn't do the Ten Commandments or anything. I personally am just going to be checking that I have all the ingredients for a cake I am baking for Easter. Then what, they are at least going to go uninterrupted, right? And why does this seem to be happening all over the place? I know there were two Arrow episodes after two weeks gone and then a week off. ABC is barely trying with Suburgatory, As far as I know, Enlisted hasn't been cancelled yet, but I haven't seen it in like a month. I'm going to sound old here, but I remember shows just ending in May and they might take a week off after whatever event they did for February sweeps, but then they ran straight through.
Flag
Actually, I'm pretty sure TV shows never ran straight through. :) Except maybe for 24. Definitely no shows before that - I think 24 was the one that changed everything towards the way networks do things now. It used to be worse.

21-22 episode seasons have always been the standard for hour-long weekly shows (at least as far back as the 80s).

What they did before the days of 24, was, true... they aired an episode every week from September to May... but any given week, there would be about a 40% chance of it being a rerun. Rerun weeks were scattered all over the place, so you'd have to check the TV Guide every week to see if the episode airing that week would be an original, or a rerun.

All told... I think I prefer this way. :)

And I'm guessing they just figure that Grimm isn't good "Good Friday" material. :D
Flag
Grimm is turning this hard, adalind recovering her powers, losing her mother and now losing her daughter? it's too hard but she deserves it, killing someone to get something that always been ours. Maybe the baby is better without her...
Flag
I feel sorry for Adalind, she' s lost more than anybdy in this....well she did kill to get her powers back.
Flag
The baby is and well kill one day..
Flag
I don't have the time to get into it all. But that just set up a lot of stuff that they are going to get to play with for a while. I kind of forgive all of the episodes that were trying to make us like Juliette. Well done Grimm.
Flag
so are they gradually incorporating more powers into this show
Flag
That baby looked at Victor like a BAWS! 'u mofo ur going downn'-look was amazing! As for the locket, what is baby-princess Di's obsession with it? Will she think Nick is her dad because of that? Or she ages rapidly and falls in love with him? ok that last one's a bit farfetched.
Flag
Any change the baby is part Grimm, with all that blood of Grimm episode and all?
Flag
The scene outside the precinct after Viktor took adalind's baby had my tear up as if i were watching an episode of Parenthood
Flag
This series is getting better and better. So much had happened in just one season and it is intense.
Lately we have been focusing on our little dear Hexenbiest who unlike her mother had not vogue into one yet, but she has different powers and much cooler than her folks.
Now, has anybody notice that baby Diana is more keen on having Mommy Grimm as her mother than Adalind. Not that I am complaining, but I don't understand why the baby recogniises Kelly, the Grimm. Another thing that I am confuse about is why is this baby so powerful? She is just a quarter royal. The fact that her father is already half royal did not reveal anything special makes me feel why is she? Which also begs another question that I wanted answer for years.... Why are the royals?? Are they Wesens? Do they have any powers? What made them so fearful and respectable? Do anyone have any ideas? Please tell me sth I don't know.

Moving on to poor Monroe and Rosalee, they are the sweetest, loveliest most patient filled with compassion Wesen ever!!! Our buffer couple can't even have some WE TIME. Monroe is so kind to not even say 'F*** U NICK!!!' While he and Rosalee were mushi in bed.

For the first time in forever, I felt sorry for Adalind. All this time she had been selfish and conceited, but when she cried and wogued out for her lost I felt so sympathetic towards her. She and Renard will never turn out as well as Monroe and Rosalee, but deep down I hope they will.

More+
Flag
Diana is super-powerful, most likely, because a) she is mostly Hexenbiest, and b) Adalind went through a lot of powerful mojo while Diana was in utero. I don't think Diana's power is related to her having royal blood at all... her having royal blood is just what makes her valuable to Viktor. Or he claims she's important to him because she's a royal child...

I have a few totally different theories about why Diana seems to like Momma Grimm so much. :)
  • Theory #1: She's just the first experienced mother figure Diana has ever had. Adalind is quite clueless about being a mother.
  • Theory #2: She's kind of a "grandmother" to Diana, because Diana has Nick's blood in her.
  • Theory #3: Diana's a Hexenbiest, and just instinctively knows that Grimm Lady is someone she wants on her side.

I really, really hope that Nick has a chance to repay Monroe and Rosalee for everything. For me, at least, looking at their friendship in terms of what each has done for the other, as far as I can remember, Nick has:
  • ...inadvertently caused Monroe's parents to take a more progressive view towards Monroe and Rosalee.
  • ...gotten Monroe out of the house.
  • ...inadvertently introduced Monroe to the love of his life.
  • ...saved Monroe's life when Monroe got in trouble with gladiator Lowen... which he got into while helping Nick.
  • ...introduced Monroe to Holly, which I think had a profound effect on Monroe.
  • ...introduced Monroe to the feeling of doing things that save people's lives.
  • ...helped save Monroe when a royal put a bounty on Monroe's head... for being friends with Nick.
And Monroe has, off the top of my head:
  • Given Nick invaluable information on countless occasions. Really. Countless. Like in every single Wesen-of-the-week episode.
  • Dropped everything for Nick, every single time Nick has ever needed help, with anything. Ever.
  • Gotten the crap beaten out of him for being Nick's friend, then insisted that Nick should continue to come over.
  • Had a bounty put on his head for being Nick's friend, and took a potentially-deadly poison in order to get out of it.
  • Shot a Siegbarste to save Hank.
  • Paid 300 dollars for a bottle of Gallenblaise he didn't even want, so Nick could use it as evidence.
  • Faced 4 members of the Verrat, used himself as bait, then gathered all the evidence, and the murder weapon, and hid them at his own house.
  • Faced a zombified Nick.
  • Faced three Wildesheer.
  • Spied on a Wesen Council assassin.
...and that's just Monroe. That's completely ignoring Rosalee, who has a list of her own.

*sigh* Yeah. For the record, I do believe that Nick would do just as much for Monroe if the need ever arose... it's just that we've never seen it. Or, on the rare occasions when Monroe has seriously needed help and Nick provided it, it turns out Monroe was in trouble because of Nick, in the first place.

In that regard (and only in that regard), I find myself actually hoping that the Verrat target Monroe and Rosalee at their wedding/reception/honeymoon. Because the Verrat would do that anyway, regardless of their friendship with Nick (they hate mixed marriages)... they might not even be aware that MonRosalee are friends with a Grimm. And this would be a huge opportunity for Nick to pay them back for everything.
More +
Flag
I love ur theories... but i hope it is not theory 2.. i didnt want the baby to be like the superhero with no Kryptonite.

and ur list for monroe.. half of it i do not remember... the rest i only vaguely remembered.
but i love it
Flag
Well, having Nick's blood in her doesn't necessarily mean that she'd be a "superhero with no Kryptonite." After all, Nick himself is hardly that...

My hope; she does have Nick's blood, but this either has no effect on her abilities, or it has even a negative effect (that is, she'd be even stronger without it). With one exception... that she and Nick have a connection due to the blood. Like an empathic link, or something, maybe something where Nick always knows she's in trouble. Someday. In the future. After they, you know, actually make eye contact (have you noticed that in the past two episodes, Nick and Diana never actually look at each other, or touch each other, at all? I mean, Nick sees what she does with his mom's locket, but Adalind was holding her about 5 feet away at the time, all wrapped up in a blanket.)
Flag
wow... so many theories in mind.. i am in awe..
Flag
@JeffAhSam (sorry, there's no reply button for your comment):

To answer your question, if Diana has Nick's blood (it's not established, just a popular fan theory), it would be because Adalind lost her powers by ingesting Nick's blood back in season 1. The blood appeared to have forced some sort of Hexenbiest spirit from her body, rendering her just a normal human woman. That's the whole reason she needed to go through that ritual in the first place.

The theory states that, in order for her to have her powers back (as she clearly does), Nick's blood must have left her body in some way, because the Hexenbiest spirit cannot cohabitate in the same body with Grimm blood. She became a Hexenbiest again just after Diana was born, so the theory is that the blood ended up in Diana.
Flag
im just curious.. i must have missed something because how does Diana have Nick's blood that would connect her to Nick?
Flag
I did notice that baby Diana has some connection to momma grimm on the plane when she moved the locket telepathically and when the clocks started making noise I think they are giving us a hint to something that is yet to be revealed will the evil royal man he made it a point to inquire who was the women (momma grimm) i wonder is that how he will get the baby?they have not done a good jobs giving viewers info about the royals & the resistance
Flag
Just so much awesome...

• Renard plotted circles around everybody else. Viktor, Adalind... me... Admittedly, I was operating on a half a night of sleep when I first watched the episode this morning, but still... I was going, "Wait. Why are they arresting Kelly? What possible purpose could that prove? Could it be the Royals behind Kelly's arrest? No... Viktor didn't even know who she was, and Renard did say to 'make the arrest.' But why? OH... to get Adalind to the precinct, where she and the baby will be safe. But why is he taking the baby? What? Why? Is he GIVING the baby to Viktor? For real? What's the plan? I don't get it... OH..." Not often an episode of primetime television can do that to me anymore. :) And it's so nice to see Renard back to his old fine form.
  • Nick's superhearing returned. Now, if only it could consistently be there all the time...
  • The "confrontation" between Nick and Renard worked out exactly the way I'd hoped. Intelligently. :) Very in-character for both of them, and it was full of awesome. Those two characters have an interesting dynamic that we haven't seen much of lately... hadn't realized how much I missed it.
  • Great moments from almost all of the characters. Nick, Renard, Adalind, Kelly, Monroe, Rosalee, even Hank and Wu. Just Juliette was left out this episode, but that's fine - she's been showcased in a lot of other episodes, and they couldn't fit everything into this one. :)
  • ...I'm sure I'm forgetting some awesome. :)

I'm going to miss that baby. She was really starting to grow on me. But am I the only one who hopes that she doesn't have a rapid-aging arc? Or that she ages, at most, at twice the rate of a regular child? Rapid-aging arcs bug me. A lot. Because how exactly is she supposed to have a "normal" upbringing, if she skips all of the developmental stages that children have to go through, in order to learn the way the world works?

I'm a bit concerned that Viktor seemed to be on the right track with figuring out who Kelly is. I'm a little worried that this is actually going to end with Kelly dead and Viktor having Diana. Is it just me, or did she only turn evil when she was in Viktor's arms? Does she absorb the morality (or lack thereof) of whoever's holding her, or something?
More+
Flag
That was what I was thinking. Is she "evil" when around evil? That coffee skull was it a warning? Not sure.
Flag
I do not think that she absorb any characteristics of the people near/holding her. I believe Diana instinctively knows who is trying to protect her or just plain harm/abuse/use her or ones she cares about. This is a trait that is actually commonly observed in a lot of ppl and animals.

For the curious case of Momma Grimm with Baby Diana, I think she just likes her coz she somehow knew that she can/will protect her, especially since she offed quite a few Varrats to get them out of Europe, and can trusted/relied on.
Flag
On your last point I think Diana has a balance of light and dark , and when viktor tryed to take her locket that's when we saw a more grown up childless to her it was a treat " touch my things buddy and die" kind of thing.
Flag
Another great episode, its great when Grimm ditches the run of the mill case of the week and just focuses solely on the overarching storyline. Nick's mum is so badass so I'm expecting Diana to be a little ass kicker (walking dead reference!) when she gets a bit older, feel bad that they didn't let Adalind in on the plan but I guess she would never have agreed to part with her baby. I'm hoping this will cause Adalind to revert back to her old scheming ways where she made life hell for EVERYONE, especially hope she finishes off Juliette once and for all!
Flag
As long as she is good, I wouldn't mind seeing a little ass kicker Diana.
As for her killing Juliette, a lot of people have commented that she has been written better now that she is in the loop and I agree. There is no reason why she has to be killed off.
Flag
More Wu please.
Flag
Poor Monroe he always seems to get cockblocked. I felt bad for Adalind this episode and that hexenbaby's power could be over 9000!!!
Flag
This episode and the last one were absolutely awesome! I was totally surprised by the ending! Now in every sci fi/fantasy show I have ever seen that includes a magic destiny baby always ends up either rapidly aging or somehow shows us what they will be like when they are grown up. Given the creators of Grimm worked on Buffy and Angel, with the ladder having done it's own baby story arc, so I fully expect that in the season finale or next season at some point Kelly will return with an older Diana. They did the same thing about who raises the baby effecting it's destiny on Angel, let's hope Diana turns out better than Connor did. Now next episode it looks like we finally might be going to get an evil Grimm! Something I have been waiting for since the beginning, she could turn out to be the Faith to Nick's Buffy, or maybe Nick's Angel given that he is more likely to try to redeem her cuz that's his character
Flag
If we're comparing Diana to Connor... to be fair, IIRC, Connor didn't technically rapidly age. He aged at the normal rate... in a Hell dimension.

Which, personally, I find extremely preferable to a rapid-aging arc. In a rapid-aging arc, not only is it difficult for the audience to swallow, since the child is one age for a significant amount of time, and then they are suddenly another age and obviously an entirely different actor... but also, I find it difficult to swallow because there are developmental stages that children have to go through, in order to find out how the world works. They can't just skip those, or you basically just end up with a baby in an adult's skin. It really, really bothers me when a baby is suddenly 7, when she's chronologically less then 1, and yet she somehow knows all the things that a 7-year-old knows.
Flag
I loved this episode and kind of felt sorry for Adalind when they took the baby but it had to be done to keep baby Diana safe. And she seems to feel safe with mama Burkhard.

I loved that the had the small thing with Nick's hearingability in one scene. Nice that they haven't forgotten it.

Can't wait to see what will happen in the next episodes but why do they have to take another break?
Flag
Damn if every show I love is giving me every reason to love them even more! This was such a seriously cool episode, what with FBI conspirators, pissed off and pissed on Royals, major sacrifices, and Mama Grimm being...motherly!

Monroe & Rosalee were wonderful to put up Adalind for the night, but I would've been a bit annoyed with Nick if the Royals had found the couple and hurt them to get to the baby. Though seeing their faces when the clocks started going haywire was priceless. :D

Hank and Wu were hilarious!

I want a Mama Grimm, demon baby spinoff, that would be wicked cool. The way she just entered Monroe's house unheard, how she took out a wessen FBI Agent and the Royal's hired muscle was awesome! I just wish Nick had had a chance to talk to her about his new abilities.

Adalind really needs to grow up. I know she's been finally using her heart for more than just pumping blood, but Kelly's right, the Royals will keep hounding everyone until they get Diana. And now that the Royals think the Resistance has the baby, that gets everyone off the hook; except for, of course, the Resistance. Oops, sucks to be them.

Renard has been impressing me lately, he's been showing some amazing leadership and decision-making.

Why another break? Its not like TPTB are tying the show to a premiering movie. Having so many breaks in the show well and truly sucks!!!
More+
Flag
I was hope Nick would be able to ask his mum about his abilities as he hasn't been given any answers as to why he has them and kept them, she may have shed some light on them.
Flag
Momma Grimm really is developing into Darth Kelly'ius. I bet she would've pissed herself laughing had she have seen the skull brand of coffee but instead it's the key spin? Her laughing at all was something of an event, though. Though really, give a baby a locket and chain to play with? That's just poor parenting/guardianship. Has anyone else wondered if The Baby Di likes not only Kelly but Nick too, as she keeps looking at his picture and preventing other bad boys from seeing it?
Where were the car alarms when Addy went Carrie outside the police station on God knows how many CCTVs?
So, daddy is in on the fake kidnapping, but how real do you think the Prince found it all? I immediately thought, surely (don't call me Shirley) the resistance would've killed him or at least an aid or two. No? WTF! Nice shades though Grimms! Will he tell Addy anytime soon? I doubt it. She's always been a bit too woge first and grin murderously after, even when in the wrong. I am still perplexed that the wunderkind hasn't aged rapidly.
Nice to see C. Thomas Howell on TV again; even if he is yet another, albeit promoted, dick!
More+
Flag
Regarding the car alarms: they were there. Blaring away in the background... I remember hearing them. But the audio muted them somewhat so that it could focus on Adalind's sobbing.
Flag
Oh yeah, you get a couple of woo, woo's then it's Adalind and strings. I must've been wrapped up in the emotion. ;(
Flag
This was one of the best Grimm eps ever! lol, seriously I enjoyed every minute of it.

I was hoping Adalind was getting her redemption arc. That she would get the chance to be something more than the scary witch, but I bet she's gonna go back to her evil ways now. Can't really blame her.

It's cute how Diana chose Kelly.
Flag
I’m sorry but I don’t get why everyone is suddenly SO sympathetic towards Adalind. Yeah, sure it was sad to see her all broken up when her baby was stolen from her but are we forgetting this is the same woman who fully intended to SELL her precious baby just a few episodes ago to a very sinister stranger in exchange for her powers back AND preformed some pretty questionable magical/medical? Rituals on herself whilst pregnant with little regard for the child. If the royals hadn’t intervened and tried to screw her over then she would have probably happily handed the kid over and skipped on her merry way. I have no sympathy for her at all I'm afraid she's opportunistic and selfish and one of the worst possible people to raise the kid.
Flag
I think we've seen a shift in Adalind. Not that she's going to become fully good now, or join the Scooby gang or anything, but it's true that motherhood changes people. Although, it's not just the motherhood. It's a combination of the loss of her powers (her identity), the grief of the loss of her own mother, and becoming a mother. Throughout the season we've seen Adalind shift from being totally committed to getting back her powers to caring for her child. That change doesn't happen overnight - for anyone - and I commend Grimm (and Claire Coffee) for showing that in a really poignant and believable way. I think it's the change that you people are responding to. It adds to Adalind as a character, and truly makes her more three-dimensional and sympathetic, rather than simply the narcissistic bitch witch she was in past seasons. I've grown to love Adalind. Not because she's become a good person - she's still is a narcissistic bitch-witch! - but, you can now fully appreciate her as a person with all that she's gone through.

I think Adalind is one of the first characters in Grimm that forces us to break out of the good guys/bad guys mentality of the show. Every group in Grimm is doing what they think is right. Even Adalind's past evil deeds are all done for some relatable cause or reason, not simply to be evil. And focusing on Adalind's journey this past season really broadens this aspect. There are a few episodes in Grimm that displays this more realistic mix of good and evil in people/Wesen really well, but unfortunately, they're not in the majority. This last episode is one that pulls a character/characters firmly into the grey category, and I love it!
More +
Flag
I really just don't get why Victor wasn't taken out right then and there at the airport. If you have a villain that won't stop and has killed a lot of people already, it only seems like the natural Grimm thing to do.
Flag
It's not like there aren't repercussions for someone, when they kill a foreign Crown Prince on US soil. :\

Sure, he's a bad guy. But, as far as the rest of the world is concerned, he's the Crown Prince. There would have been a huge international investigation, one Renard can't control. And one of the first things that would have come out is that the chief of police is actually related.
Flag
But if you have someone who is a Grimm and another that's in the Resistance, what is the plan aside from to kill the guy in charge that's being a problem? And with how many bodies have dropped already, Crown or not, hiding it wouldn't be an issue. And that's not even going into things like moving the body out of the country on a plane.
Flag
Well, in reality, they should probably win a PR war, not an actual war, in order to truly win.

But for the show... not sure how they can handle it. You're right in that it will probably end with Viktor dead... but ideally, not in Portland. Anywhere but in Portland. If he died in Portland, that would hardly be a win for our heroes. Having to spend the rest of their lives... living like Meisner lives.
Flag
Meisner lives? And it's not like Nick is going to leave Portland, most likely. So, unless another offscreen death is the plan, I'm guessing Victor (Viktor?) ends up dead in Portland.
Flag
I wonder if they had killed Victor, who would be next in line for the throne? Would it be Renard? If they had killed Victor, that would be really troublesome for the Royal family. Two assassinations in less than a month? :D
Flag
Best baby ever! No food, no diapers and no fuss.
Flag
This episode was great, and now another Grimm, WOOT!
Flag
I'm glad that everybody made up (mostly) and that Renard, Adalind, and Nick and his mom are all on the same team; I am not ready for a face off between Renard and Nick. It's nice that Adalind has been accepted, because I've really grown quite fond of her over this season.

Speaking of Adalind, the scene in front of the police station was heartbreaking. I'm glad that Diana is in good hands, but I wanted to see more mommy-and-me moments with Adalind. I'm quite sure they won't tell her where Diana is, because they know that nothing will keep Adalind from her baby. She really is a good mom, you guys.

Now if only Meissner returns and gets together with Adalind I'll be happy ;) (she is probably really pissed with Renard right now and for forever, so it's possible......)
Flag
Meissner and Adalind might have been a little sweet when she still had the baby. But now that she could be out for revenge and will probably go back to her old ways, I don;t want her around Meissner I like him too much as a character.
Flag
Yeah... There's no way in hell Adalind is going to be allied with our protagonists. Nick stole her powers, Kelly killed her mom, and Renard stole her baby. She's going to be out for blood. And regardless of how sympathetic her plight was at the end there, she's still a monster and a murderer. She needs to be put down before she causes more trouble.
Flag
As for the baby; um let's remember there's two babies, the baby has some kind of a ghost twin, which will probably be the evil anti-christ baby and the girl everyone is trying to protect will be the good angelic baby; let's hope the baby has some rapid aging so we can get a good story out of it next season or the season after. Yes I'm that optomistic

Flag
I don't think there's two babies; I think Diana is able to do astral projection.
Flag
Well every sci fi/fantasy tv show I have ever seen that includes a magical destiny baby always end up rapidly aging in some way. Let's not forget the creators of this show also worked on Angel and that show had a baby storyline who ended up a teenager after a few episodes. And it was similar in that the baby ended up being raised in the wrong hands and became a sort of villain,so I'm interested in what is to come
Flag
I think your right; the baby would take too long to grow up; rapid aging gets the kid to a place where they can really do a story line that can involve the kid in a way that is more substancial
Flag
I'm still not convinced that's what's happening. Personally, I think that when a baby wants to be somewhere she's not (or she wants to be with someone she's not), she creates an apparition of herself.
Flag
We shall see
Flag
I was surprised by the ending; since we are nearing the season finale I thought the Royals would get the baby and then they would have to fight to get the baby back. Sending the baby away with mother Grimm takes both characters off the playing field and leaves me wondering what's next for Adylind and the rest. Is she and the captain really going to stay together, are we about to get the wedding from hell for poor monroe and rosalie. So far the show's been pretty good so I look forward to the next twist and turns, they managed (Just barely) to slide Hank in there. Next week should be fun we get a new "Female" Grimm so watch out Juliet, I can't help but think that this could be the new romantic twist being thrown at the couple.; someone that Nick can have a connection with in a way the Juliet can't... interesting; if that's the direction they go in. She may also just be a crazy villain of the week.
Flag
I have a nagging feeling that the Royals will invite themselves to the Rosamon wedding.
Flag
I think Nick's dream about the wedding turning into a blood bath was actually a premonition.
Flag
Excellent episode (all the twists!) & review. The scene with Adalind outside the police station. Brilliant. And made me feel sorry for Adalind for the 1st and possibly last time.

One thing though: Monster baby Magic Baby - Come on, she is adorable and does plenty of magic tricks. Even the curt Momma Grimm can't resist her...

I'd like to suggest a weekly feature for "On Pointlessness. What Juliette got to do this week" - During this momentous ep: "Fail at finding the right truck, but did buy it online (on an apple laptop, thank you product placement) once Nick found it"
Flag
I think this episode was a loss for the humans/Kehrseite in general. Juliet, Hank and Wu didn't feature much at all this episode. :/
Flag
WOW what an episode I loved it and wo pronouncing viktors name was priceless. Well now we know not to mess with the babies toys, touch her things and she threatens you with death, what is it about that locket. Diana is a nice name not what I expected but still nice, I wonder why she is at peace when around mamma Grimm she instantly calmed down when she sensed her presence. I'm glad they ended it with mamma Grimm looking after her it wasn't what I was expecting but I think she can provide the balance of strength and nurture when raising her to be good.
Flag
  • I chuckled when Diana was levitating those toy keys and Kelly told her that she would have to teach her not to do that in public and then chuckled as the baby brought the keys back down.
  • Kelly should do fine with her. I think that despite her kick butt/more threatening/suspicious attitudes, I think Kelly should be a good influence on her. Kelly spent at least half of Nick's childhood raising him so its not like she would be acting like a first time mom where she has little to no experience with babies like Adalind. She might also be able keep the kid in check power wise.
Flag
have anyone noticed that Ma Burkhardt necklace is gone i think Vector took it to investigate.

and i couldn't stop laughing when Wu started reciting the royal crowned prince name =D
Flag
Diana (the baby) took the neckless earlier in the episode. In the car Victor tried to see the photo inside the locket and she slammed it shut before doing the creepy skull-coffee thingie ;P But he didn't actually take it so Diana should still have it.
Flag
but in the last scene it wasn't with Diana ..that's why i am saying maybe Vector took it and it will show next episode
Flag
Well, that was unexpected, but great.

I honestly didn't anticipate Momma Grimm ending up with the baby. But I guess it IS the safest place, she has experience with having a baby and she is neither with the resistance nor with the royals.
Also: I would totally watch a spin-off about Kelly and the power-baby doing awsome covert Grimm stuff.
Flag
I liked Kelly's "Popular, this Adalind..."

This season has been such an improvement on the previous ones and the last couple of episodes show how much better it is when they drop the Wesen of the week.

I thought that the scary demon cute baby was going to end up with one of the Portland couples, looks like I misread that. But, going with Kelly might make more sense, assuming she can stop doing whatever it is she does normally.
The baby reminds me a bit of Piper's in Charmed.
Flag
I can't say I was surprised that the baby went with Kelly. She can hide the kid better. Plus, she is a force of good (although she is willing to go into the gray area), she has experience with taking care of a baby, and she does not have to worry about Renard or Adalind stopping by which could reveal where Diana is if either are followed.
Flag
This program just keeps getting better and better.
Flag
I also wonder if we're going to see Renard's mother by the season finale. Seemed a bit odd, Viktor threatening to kill her.
Flag
*spoilers below-if you haven't watched, be warned*

This episode was really good. Like, surprisingly good. Well done, Grimm. That being said, I'm on Team Adalind on this one. Never thought I'd say that about anything EVER, lol, but yeah...that was b.r.u.t.a.l. Though I understand the reasoning behind the plan, and also can't completely fault it given who Adalind has been until very recently (the birth of her bundle), I just can't get behind the way they basically stole her child from her. Not cool. Yep...she's going to go all medieval on their hiney's. Duck and cover, y'all.

ps--I think she'll need someone on her side next season. I think she should call Meisner. :)

(not self-serving at all, lol)
Flag
I think it was necessary for Adalind to not be in on the plan. When they stole the child (note to self: Diana. Her name is Diana. I'm so used to just calling her, "the child" or "the baby") back from Viktor... the first thing they're going to do is look at Adalind. She needs to be seen to be grieving, in order for him to believe that it was truly the Resistance who took Diana. Especially after Monroe's... good grief. I don't even speak German, and even I could tell that something was really off!

Anyway, this is for Adalind's safety almost as much as it's for Diana's. I don't see any petty vengeance in it at all, especially since Momma Grimm actually seemed genuinely sympathetic.
Flag
I don't think it was petty either, but that doesn't make it right. This was the first time on this show that I couldn't fully back the good guys in their plot/quest/whatever. I do agree that it was for everyone's safety, including Adalind, and that they had to lie - not sure Adalind would have gone along with the plan - but yeah.....there was a lot more grey with this than usual. Fantastic episode. Can't wait to see what happens next.
Flag
We can only hope she calls Meisner I liked him, and yes I think it was cruel they way they took Diana, necessary but cruel, for the first time I actually felt for Adelind when she broke down in the street, that was hard.
Flag
Clearly the NBC press agent didn't see the episode before writing up the release. "Meanwhile, Prince Viktor activates a deadly stateside asset to find Adalind and her child."

Weston Steward was about the most ineffective Verrat ever...
Flag
It looks like they are really setting up Adalind to be a thoroughly justified big evil villainess.

The way they took the baby from her is downright cruel (granted, she wasn't exactly a nice person to begin with) and that she (the baby that is) should have wound up in the hands of the person who killed her (Adalind's) mother while trying to kill her is downright villainous.

Not entirely sure how good a mother Ma Burkhardt will make, especially given that, again, she is not exactly a nice person either. Granted, she has shown rather a lot of maternal instincts last couple of episodes, but she has also very effectively herself as a creepy, sociopathic, almost psychotic killer also. (a lot of kudos to acting skills of M. E. Mastrantonio for portraying such a convincing yet not endearing psycho!)

So, they are recycling the crazy slayer episode from Angel Season 5 next week?
Flag
Yes, they are, and while it is a rip-off, I am totally stoked about anyway :) You'd think with all the wessen in Portland, we'd see other Grimm, and I'm excited to add another player to Team Burkhardt.
Flag
It's not a ripoff, the creators of this show worked on Buffy and Angel. So it's more like they are possibly making this new Grimm the a Faith to Nick's Buffy, I've been waiting for an evil Grimm story arc since the beginning
Flag
I really enjoyed this (and am so weirdly glad Diana was still a tiny baby when she and Kelly left). I loved that the baby seemed to choose Kelly. She is going to grow at a rate where well two things...one is the girl next time her already but second if we are right and she is some sort of adversary she won't be Nick's. Kelly will probably call him her big brother from now on. And how's that..we got a quick glimpse of the full Grimm in Kelly. I had this thought...while Kelly looked all spooky I bet one of the reasons Wesen still want to fight Nick is that he looks like a teddy bear. It was kind of funny the little conspiracy seemed to go out of its way to make Adalind think Nick had nothing to do with it. I mean Monroe and Rosalee and even Hank but to also have Kelly admit what she did and even telling the story in a way that she might turn to Nick for help. And we will feel bad because this kind of seemed like his plan. But yeah...I was feeling bad for Adalind. That's a weird sensation.
Flag
Really liked this episode. That plan for the ending was quite ingenious. Leaving the baby with Kelly was the right thing to do. For some reason, the baby seems more calm around her than Aadiland, which is a little funny to me. Look, seeing Aadiland as a new mother may get the sympathy vote from a few fans, even when she screamed in terror of the fact that her baby was taken from her, but knowing who she is and what she's done, I simply can't sympathize for that Hexenbitch. She's a schemer, liar, traitor, evil seductress, killer, the list goes on and on!!! Her newfound motherhood doesn't cover the fact that she practically gave birth to Rosemary's baby. Grimm has done well to make her somebody to dislike, cause if she was assassinated in the next episode, I'd probably be ecstatic.

Loved Monroe and Rosalee's reaction to, well, everything lol!!! I reacted the same way they did. I also loved Hank's reaction to the idea that the baby may be his!! OMG, so hilarious!!!
Flag
I agree that this was a very excellent episode.

So many LOL moments! The phone exchange between Monroe/Rosalee and Nick/Kelly, with Rosalee not realizing initially Mama Burkhardt was on the line. When the gang first met up at Monroe's house. Wu tripping over the Royal's name. Nick facing Adalind and Renard in his apartment. And more that others have already mentioned.

And really liked how Adalind's character ranged from sweet, fragile vulnerability to proud mama triumph when Diana (PHMB*) lifted Kelly's locket and ultimately rage and betrayal at what happened to her baby.

So many delicious twists and turns.

Two minor observations: 1) how come whenever Diana (PHMB*) is on the run there doesn't seem to be a diaper bag in tow as well? 2) Was glad to see that finally the baby was in a proper infant carrier. But does Mama Grimm's truck have a back seat? That's where Diana should be.

*Princess Hexenbiest Magic Baby
Flag
  • I was glad to see that Renard finally saw reason in this episode and knew that he and Adalind had to give the kid up to protect everyone including the baby. I was not sure if it was going to drag out longer or not.
  • Adalind is one pissed off mother. We'll see what kind of revenge she decides to take. Needless to say, Renard won't be able to rely on her for anything anytime soon.
  • Poor Monroe-now he has to fix all those clocks because of demon baby.
  • I wasn't surprised that Kelly ended up with the kid. Having it in Portland, even with Nick would have been too obvious as well as to much temptation for Adalind or Renard to come see the kid. Kelly should be able to keep her safe.
  • Hank being nervous that the baby was his was pretty funny.
  • How Monroe could forget that she can get into anywhere silently is kind of funny. "How did you get in here?" "Really?" Ha!
Flag
I also wasn't surprised how this episode concluded although I would've thought given the trailer for this episode that they were going to fake the baby's death. Renard has greatly changed from who he was in Season One but unfortunately Adalind is likely to seesaw back after this episode. Poor Adalind! Broken again. One of the things I really like about this show is how decisions made in one episode will have unintended consequences in the coming episodes. That they didn't make it that the baby died and had Adalind think the Royals have the baby and the Royals think that the Resistance stole her will have repercussions all around. The Royals will intensify their war with the Resistance and I don't want to think what the Resistance will do to Renard when they find out how he manipulated the Royals into thinking they have his child. Complicating this will be what Adalind plans to to do to get her baby back from the people that don't have her. Finally, isn't the goddess Diana also one of the deities that witches worship? If so, obvious choice for a Hexenbiest mother.
Flag
You have to remember, she has been told that both the Resistance and the Royals want the baby and don't care about her. I think she would find it hard to believe that the Royals killed the kid since she is so powerful.
Flag
i love this show, but i hate that we're going to have to wait until april 25 for the next episode.. didn't they already take a break?
Flag
You find that attractive? Really?
Flag
I also laughed when Renard recriminated Adalind for sleeping with his brother and then she got back at him for sleeping with Adalind's mother. Family!
Flag
Yeah, family drama *sigh*
Flag
While Nick does have a point, remember-Renard is the same breed of wesen Adalind is so of course he would find that attractive.
Flag
I don't think that was necessarily Nick's point. Adalind was trying to impress Nick with her... menace... and Nick was making a point of being extremely underwhelmed.

Also, funny. :)
Flag
Exactly! I thought the same thing. I could say something about how I found that kinda sexist here and explain why, but I'm sure there are others who saw and felt the same already know what I'm talking about.
Flag
But don't you think Renard looked just a little sheepish when Nick asked him that!
Flag
Staff
I mean, the man has a point.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members