A Grimm Community
Friday 8:00 PM on NBC (Returning Fall 2016)

Grimm S03E06: "Stories We Tell Our Young"

After last week's surprisingly underwhelming (sorry!) "El Cucuy," this week's "Stories We Tell Our Young" seemed to have everything, swiftly putting Grimm back on track with its big theme for the season sans zombie-flashback-Nick. Renard is being all sneaky in Vienna while Hank and Nick hold down the fort Stateside. And "Stories We Tell Our Young" was another one of those old-ways-vs.-new-ways episodes, but since those tend to be so good, I don't really mind that out of six episodes this season, maybe like four of them have shared the same general message. I love it when Grimm delves deeper into Wesen and Grimm history, culture, and norms—the lack of which, in the past, had always stopped me from thinking of Grimm as a great show, rather than a merely good show. 

Sure, it's not like we never got any insight in Season 1 and 2, but Season 3 is really packing in the cultural stuff. I feel like I've learned more about Wesen way of life in the last six episodes than in the last two seasons. 

So there was this kid this week who tended to get a little homicidal when confronted with, IDK, booster shots and long division, and everyone thought he was possessed, except for Nick, who thought he was a Wesen and Rosalie, who thought he was a mutated Wesen with a bright future in breaking the entire world. At the very least, they had an eventual serial killer on their hands—or so Rosalie feared—and so did the Wesen Council. Back in the day, the council had a way of making these "Grausen" disappear, and to come across one and not report it was one of the gravest crimes a Wesen could commit. Unlike the rule about woging in public, this one wasn't designed solely to protect the Wesen community, but to protect the rest of the world as well. Apparently, Grausen grew up to be some pretty nasty buggers. 

When Nick brought the details of this week's case to Rosalee and Monroe, he inadvertently put them in an awkward position, and for all of this season's emphasis on challenging the more unpleasant aspects of Wesen and Grimm traditions, often featuring Nick sweeping in with some grand new idea, "Stories We Tell Our Young" effectively pumped the brakes on all this modernization—and that's not necessarily a bad thing. It certainly doesn't make for bad TV, and in the context of the world that Grimm has created, it makes sense that even Nick's most loyal allies miiiight eventually find themselves faced with something they can't just hand-wave because Nick said so. 

Even in the real world, change—even change that's obviously good and sorely needed—doesn't typically happen overnight. Fear is good for that (fear of change, fear of what could go wrong, fear of failure), and it was fear that motivated Rosalie to go to the council with her intel on the wee baby (okay, not really) Grausen. She was afraid of what the council could do if it learned that she and Monroe kept the boy a secret, but she was also scared, after growing up to terrible tales of the Grausen, of what the boy could become. 

Lucky for him, not-useless Juliette theorized that the Grausen affliction could be an illness rather than a mutation, and a cure was conveniently found via accidental hypothermia. Nick called the council off and explained the findings and while they've now resolved to keep tabs on Nick in a move that will in no way end badly probably (wink wink), at least they're no longer executing children in the name of keeping the world safe. Like the assassin-dude said, "Fear isn't an easy thing to change." Baby steps and all that. 

MEANWHILE, IN VIENNA...

Renard's safehouse proved to be less-than-safe, and Adalind met the new prince while Renard got stuck wandering through the yummy sewers for dear life. Not fair. I'd like to see this side of the story get more attention now that Renard is more deeply involved. It seems like all the action stays in Portland and we get maybe five minutes of Adalind reacting to something we can't see. At least all the Stefania/Frau Pech stuff was interesting. And gross. Lol, poor Adalind. 

BACK IN PORTLANDIA...

I really liked that final bit with Juliette and Nick in the Bookmobile of Crazy, tag-teaming a new entry about their Grausen discovery. It was geeky and sweet and it's really nice to see Juliette being people this season. I also think that sometimes, the scholarly angle of the Grimm gets overlooked in favor of asskicking and BAMFy-ness, and it's important to revisit their booksmarts from time to time. Nick was thrust into this part of his life with little, if any, preparation for it, and if you'll recall, he wasn't entirely enthusiastic about it either. It's the little scenes like that with Juliette, stumbling over technical terms while adding to his ancestors' priceless archives, that truly display how far Nick has come and how he's grown comfortable in his role and made it his own. 

In addition to its sweeping enthusiasm for Wesen culture wars, Grimm also has a touch of that age-old story about individuals figuring out where they belong and where they are happiest. Juliette and Nick are in a good place right now (for now) and even Monroe and Rosalie's halting and hilarious explanation of the Wesen birds-and-the-bees revealed an understanding that while their relationship may not be a conventional one by Wesen standards, both culturally and biologically (I think that's what was implied?), they wuv each other and they're comfortable with what they've got. I mean, Monroe still hasn't told his parents, but they're comfortable dammit. 

NOTES FROM AUNT MARIE'S BOOKMOBILE OF CRAZY

– Really, REALLY happy that Rosalie vs. Nick wasn't some huge, drawn-out thing and that Monroe didn't get stuck in the middle.

– The Gausen baby was actually kind of cute in homicidal maniac mode. Aww.

– So Nick's zombie flashback thing... are we done with that?

What'd you think of "Stories We Tell Our Young"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/20/2016

Season 5 : Episode 22

170 Comments
Comments (149)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I forgot to mention one of my many favorite parts of this episode: the unnamed Council assassin-guy. :)

Well, I don't love that he's unnamed. What's with not naming people on this show? Seriously, what's Monroe's full name?

But otherwise, I really like the guy, and I really hope we see a lot more of him. Just in the first few seconds that we meet him, we see all sorts of layers to his personality. He hates that he's going to kill a kid, but he's going to do it anyway, because he believes it's the right thing to do. That's an interesting personality. And at the end, he was almost a believer, and was clearly happy to be given the job of "monitoring the boy... and the Grimm."

I can totally see the guy becoming a sometimes-Scooby-except-he-reports-to-the-Council-and-everybody-knows-it, which would be a great dynamic to add, especially when Renard is also in the mix. :)

But first, he needs a name. :\
Flag
Oh, just checked the wiki. Apparently his name is Alexander No-Last-Name. He was in "Natural Born Wesen" as well.
Flag
I loved the birds and the bees talk wesen style. The episode rates up there for the season so far. It still feels like the writers are struggling with what to do with Juliette.. now that shes no longer a whiney millstone around nick's neck how do you keep her in the show without making her useful?

Definitely interested in the Renard and Vienna story line but its sort of like watching Arrow and dying to see "the island bits" and realising that its going to take all season to make any progress but thats ok.
Flag
Yeah. I agree so much with this review, and I loved this episode. I love that they're digging more into the wesen culture, I love that Juliette continues to be helpful and awesome. I also wish that we could get a little more of the Vienna storyline, especially now that Renard is involved in it.
Flag
Liked the episode well enough but despite the fact that I'm enjoying Juliette's integration into the gang and that she's actually proving to be useful, the scientific mumbo-jumbo she kept spouting had me rolling my eyes constantly.

I mean, I think her explanations kinda made sense but I just don't think science and "magic" (as it were) should mix. I like my fantasy shows to be fantasy and my sci-fi shows to be sci-fi. It's the same problem I had with the latter parts of BSG where Starbuck suddenly became an angel or some shit like that. No thanks.

Also, I think Juliette's smart and I like that she's a good vet but this sudden expertise in all things medical is as believable as Denise Richard's role in that Bond film where she was a "scientist". This may also be a failing in the actress. Bitsie Tulloch is good at the light fair but she's always had trouble with the more serious parts. I think she's got pretty good comic timing but not sounding ridiculous in grave situations is not her strong suit.

This episode also seemed to shaft the other members of the Scooby Gang in favor of Juliette getting some spotlight. Which I'm totally okay with because she desperately needs it for further integration but I wouldn't be happy about it if it continues for the next episodes. The Nick and Juliette show is just not engaging. They both need to play against the more dynamic characters in order to be watch worthy. I've gotten used to the fact that Giuntoli has less charisma than pretty much everyone one of his co-starts except for Tulloch, especially since he's gotten so much better and so much more watchable by himself. But Tulloch is still the weakest link and constantly pairing her with Giuntoli is not doing her any favors. I find her most enjoyable when she's with Rosalee and Monroe. Or even with Hank. Or Bud.

What else... Ah! I find that I'm still enjoying the weird détente that Nick and, to a lesser extent, Hank has with Renard. Though, I'm puzzled as to why no one has yet asked Renard the question: "Sir, did you by any chance have your brother killed?". Or why we haven't seen much reaction to the event from the people who were so gung-ho about going after Eric like Hank and Monroe. And considering all the wesen birds and bees talk, it makes me crazy that the writers didn't have Nick or Hank ask Monroe and Rosalee about Renard's heritage. I mean, when the hell are we going to find out what the Royals are exactly? Wesen, human, something else? Writers, answer this question soon, please.

Also, lol at hiding Alexis Denisof. He has a very distinctive voice.
More+
Flag
Regarding why nobody's called Capt. Renard out on Eric's death...

I previously figured that they probably don't know (After all, it's not like our press pays all that much attention to the politics of Austria. :) )... but on rewatching the scene, I see Nick asks, "does this have anything to do with your brother's death?" So, never mind. (hence the removed post). :)

Now, I'm thinking they probably know. Or at least strongly suspect. But they've gotten used to speaking circumspectly. Not talking about it, is probably their way of thanking Renard. After everything Eric put them through... both Monroe and Hank almost flat-out said that they'd do the same, given half the chance. And then, suddenly, Eric is dead. And they're thinking, "yay!"

So of course they're not going to mention that their captain might have had a hand in it, especially while in the prescinct. They're cops. If they say anything, then they're acknowledging that it might be true. And then they would have to do something about it.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I agree with much of this post, but I have to disagree with the following:

"I mean, I think her explanations kinda made sense but I just don't think science and "magic" (as it were) should mix. I like my fantasy shows to be fantasy and my sci-fi shows to be sci-fi."

Perhaps that's true of LOTR and... most Disney fairy tales, but the entire premise of Grimm (and Buffy, Angel, the real-world parts of OUAT, etc.) is that it takes place in our world. Or at least, in a parallel universe that, except for the specific differences that are outlined in the show, is identical to ours. There's just a whole aspect of the world we live in, that the majority of people alive are completely unaware of.

That's the premise. That's the world that this show takes place in. It's just like ours, except that throughout history, there have been non-human sentient beings who look human (probably as an evolutionary necessity), except to Grimms, people with genetic superpowers that enable them to see these other beings the way they really are. And then there are ancient royal families that have been having feuds for centuries, and in modern times, those feuds have become secret from most people in the world.

That doesn't change the fact that the world of the show, like the world we live in, has had scientific advancements made over the centuries. And that the culture of the humans (kehrseite) in the show is largely centered around science and technology, just like in our world.

If anything, Grimm is more real-world-based than it is fantasy. The protagonist is a cop. He deals with crimes, and criminal investigations, and many plots actually have to take human law into account. There's just this whole secret world that he has to deal with in addition to that, while still staying within the bounds of regular laws and morality. That's a huge part of the premise of the show, and a huge part of the appeal of the show, is that conflict.

Also... what you're complaining about (the "protazoa" explanation for the Grausen's existence) is not really sci-fi. A Sci-fi story, is a story that is set a world that's centered around an advanced science that's created by the authors. Key word: "advanced." It's advanced, either because it's set in the future, or because it's influenced by alien technology, or because it's set entirely in an alien universe, or because it's a theoretical universe based on things that only exist as scientific theories at this time.

Humans have known about protazoa for decades, in this world (I learned about them in high school, in the early 90s.) So a protazoa explanation might be out of place if it were not set in this world... but it is set in this world. So it's not out of place.

(Although, I do agree in one respect... I have a hard time figuring out how an infection can explain a 9-year-old boy's ability to throw an adult man through a wall.)
More +
Flag
Loved this episode, that was scary...poor kid...
Loved how Monroe and Rosalee tried to explain the whole having a kid thing when you are wesen...
I really starting to like Julliette more and more this season, now she is a part of it.
Loved how they showed the strenght Nick has now, with his hearing and everything..
Flag
Bear with me please, because I stopped watching last season, and only recently came back, because so many of my shows are on hiatus and I'm going through some serious genre tv withdrawal.

In the pilot of this show, didn't Nick become a Grimm because his aunt got killed. Didn't they set up this idea that your powers and abilities come into their own when the previous Grimm dies? Or did I miss something?

So how is Nick's mom also a Grimm? I can accept that there are multiple Grimm's at a time? But within one blood line?

Also before whenever Nick would encounter a wessen within moments he would know. Why isn't that happening anymore? Is that a plot point or a retcon?

The mythology of this show seems a little all over the place, but that may be due to me missing something. Can someone clue me in?
Flag
I think that the "within moments he would know" thing was something they did badly. He can only see their wesen-faces when they get emotional. So it makes more sense if it sometimes takes a while. This is why Renard could hide his face for more than a season.
Flag
They never said anything about the Grimm powers being passed down after death. They just develop them around a certain age. They seem to indicate that there are quite a few out there and he actually became a Grimm before she was even injured. As for him recognizing them, he only ever knew who they were when they changed after being aggitated or excited. Sometimes he meets them when they have no reason to be upset.
Flag
I think aunt Marie said explicitly that Nick is starting to see things precisely because she had started to die. I think she started to die from cancer or something some time before she ended up in the hospital.
Flag
I don't recall his aunt ever saying something like that. Though, I think I may remember his Mom saying something about it being passed down the line and that the males generally come into their heritage much later in life than the women.

Of course the pilot episode was a long time ago. I may be wrong about that. Or they may just have retconned it.
Flag
Munroe mentioned it in the first episode "did someone in your family just die or something" given the fact that Nicks mum is alive and by that theory only one person at a time would be able to see things it sort of stuffs up Marie and Nick not to mention that for that theory to work then there would only ever be a set number of grimms its probably fallen by the wayside.
Flag
Another great episode. Season 3 is turning out to be as good as Seasons 1 and 2. I have to say this episode was what keeps watching. I think this episode is another one that makes you think and can confuse you about the Wesen community at the same time. I really liked this episode.
Flag
Great episode keep havering Nick use his super senses they just add to the show and his character. I think where going to see more of the council now that they will be keeping an eye on Nick which is good we haven't seen that accept of the Grimm universe as much as I'd like. I'm slowly warming to Juliette she has some purpose now and is becoming useful to the cases and spelling long words, but I still have a problem with her and Nick together as a couple. Loved the whole episode start to finish.
Flag
I have also been thinking that Juliette is a much better character now that she knows.
Flag
...and now I have seen that everyone else is saying the same thing below.
Flag
Man!! I need a wesen encyclopedia
Flag
I love the frequent dinners between the gang, and especially that they don't get awkward halfway through (though I still cringe in anticipation of it thanks to Breaking Bad). However, Hank really needs a +1 if they are going to keep doing this.
Flag
Although a one-off episode, it was enjoyable to learn more of Wesen culture and biology (thanks, Daddy Monroe and Mommy Rosalee!).

My biggest disappointment was in hoping that there would end up being more collaboration between Nick and the Council agent. But maybe this episode is sowing the seeds for something like this on a larger scale in the future.
Flag
It strikes me odd that humans can be 'transformed' to a kind of Wesen just like that. I know that Adalind was a former hexenbiest but she is for all intents and purposes a human now. But back on track to becoming a hexenbiest again. So that got me thinking, if for instance Hank would perform the same rituals with let's say a blutbad body. Wouldn't he become one too? It feels weird and kind of cheap at the same time from the writers to implement something that actually places the entire show up in the air.

Also I know I am just speculating about the hexenbiest to human to hexenbiest part. It could be possible that she never can become that what she was, and that the Romani lady is just leading her on until the baby comes out and she steals the baby with no service in return.

Also, I now understand why Captain Renard flinched when he was greeted in German. Because Sasha Roiz isn't probably skilled in the language. He was raised in Canada. So a conversation in French would be easier to him than the German language.
Flag
My understanding, and I could be wrong about this, is that a Hexenbeast is more witch than Wessen. A human can become a Hexanbeast through the use of dark arts but a Blutbaad (sp?) and other creatures must be born into the family.
Flag
very happy to see the character of Juliette written as an actual person this year instead of a plot device or an item we forgot was there...
Flag
Agreed. I stopped watching this show last season and a big part of it was because of how much her character annoyed me. I was very surprised to catch the last few episodes and see her being helpful and proactive.

Now all they have to do is have her go back to work instead of cutting up fruit, pouring wine and reading emails all day and she'll be a full fledged independent character. ;p
Flag
I'm glad that Juliette is putting her medical skills to good use, but how come Nick never introduces her as "Dr. Juliette Silverton" in situations like this? You don't have to say "DVM" or anything, but it would be nice for people to know this random consultant has medical knowledge. Otherwise, she's just some chick who has a theory on why your son might be possessed.
Flag
Yeah, this was bugging me the entire episode too. With no introduction as to title or capabilities, Juliette throws her medical savvy around and nobody questions or challenges it. Nick should also add that "Dr. Silverton is a special medical investigator that the Portland PD in in consultation with." Or something to that effect.

But I did like how this was another episode where Juliette is not less than helpful.
Flag
I, too, love that Juliette is more than just stage furniture these days. And I was super into that last scene with the two of them in the camper, But I was a little bit leery of Juliette practicing medicine on humans/wesen bc she's an animal doc. If Nick introduced her as Dr. Juliette it would set up the false expectation that she was an MD,not a DMV (or even a Ph.D), which might put her vet license at issue if anyone reported her to the board. Also, I expect her malpractice insurer would not be pleased to hear she was practicing on people's children without informing them that she was a vet doctor not a people doctor. But, of course, it's all pretend so it doesn't matter. That just what went through my mind when watching the show.
Flag
I don't think she's necessarily "practicing" on anyone; in this case, she was using evidence from a veterinary case and postulating that it might apply to humans. And I'm sure she took the same Hippocratic oath regular doctors do...hers may even carry more weight to some, since she not only has to prevent harm to both man and beast, but to prevent them from harming each other.

Either way, I'm sure her insurer would understand. I have a strong feeling most insurance companies are run by Wesen anyway. Possibly stereotypical fuchsbauen.
Flag
Ha! I like the idea of a whole bunch of Wesen running insurance companies.
Flag
I agree with the general consensus that it's nice to see Juliette being more useful. But it's bothering me that in order to make her more appealing they keep juxtaposing her looking more glamorous, made up and dressed in a flattering manner, with a Rosalee who is now dowdied down and frumpy. I find Rosalee to be a very appealing character and hate to see that being done to her just to improve another character's standing.
Flag
I haven't noticed this, and when I was watching the last few episodes, I was thinking that Rosalee looks pretty good.
Flag
I hadn't thought of this as a hot-by-comparison thing, more a matter of character differentiation. Rosalee doesn't look frumpy. Her clothes are interestingly textured and well-fitted (when she's not interrupted from her sleep). She, like Monroe, just prefers sweaters and knits. She always has. She admires tradition, sees value in old things, and apparently likes hand-made clothing. Juliette has always opted for brighter colors, blouses and button-ups, and tailored lines. They're both beautiful in their respective styles.
Flag
I agree that her dress is part of her character. It doesn't affect the way I see her as her interactions with Monroe are always appealing and fun to watch. But she tends to look as though she has bags under her eyes that they didn't cover or (or painted in). I see other things like that while it seems to me that Juliette is handled in the opposite way; lighted and camera-angled more flatteringly this season.
Flag
Maybe it's just because she's a new mom and doesn't get as much sleep. Make up can only go so far...
Flag
I never noticed that Rosalee was getting the short stick on fashion. I thought of it more like her fashion was less tailored and more airy than that of Juliette. (Just like Nick and Monroe have different fashion tastes.) Anyway, they both are lovely ladies. I haven't noticed any slacking on the part of the make-up department yet and that's usually something I am all over. I'll have to pay more attention now.
Flag
Interesting observation. I hadn't noticed, especially since I think Rosalee is the more attractive of the two, regardless of outfit or makeup. I only pay enough attention to Juliette to comprehend whatever science-y thing she is contributing to the case of the week. She is still my least favorite character, but just a bit more tolerable this season.
Flag
Yes, I think they've written her as making a contribution with her career-based knowledge, and that helps.
Flag
Just on a side-note:

"Grausen" or with proper grammar: Das Grausen - literally translates to "horror" - the verb translates to: "to dread".
Fitting for a potentially apocalyptic serial killer :D
Flag
Anyone who speaks German - how are the dialects on the show? I was wondering during the ultrasound scene. The German sounds lovely to me, but I wouldn't know a good German accent or not.
Flag
It was TERRIBLE. The, shall we say, odd German usage has been a problem with this show from the very beginning, and has been commented on quite frequently. One the one hand, the producers make a certain effort in incorporating German terms; on the other hand, they seem to rely more on machine translation than bother to ask an actual native German speaker.
Flag
An other language related problem that comes up quite often:

They are called "Wesen", not vessen or anything else. Because "Wesen" is the german word for "creature". I think here as well the issue is pronounciation. The german "Wesen" has a long "e" and a soft "s".

If you say it like "vessen" to the german ear that sounds more like "wessen" and that means "whose". That has a short "e" and a sharp "s".

There is sound library in a german dictionary but I can't link to it directly for some reason. Just scroll down and find the audio-sympol and klick it.
For the different words:
Flag
Terrible. ^^ The dialect of Adalind's OB was particularly dreadful. As xubxerox mentioned the ch in German isn't a hard ck. it's simply an H like in hotel. Captain Renard's German is a bit better, although he has an accent, too, but that could be explained as he didn't spend his childhood in Vienna rather fleeing his murderous family.
Speaking of Vienna, there they have their own accent, which is very different from "Hochdeutsch" (High German). You could compare it to a Texan and someone coming from Boston. You'd immediately be able to locate the speaker's origins.
For the most part, the Wesen names are well picked, but sometimes I'm thinking that the language consultant they use can't be a native speaker.
For example Fuchsbau means fox's den, why would the fox Wesen be called that? Füchse would have sufficed. Blutbad makes a little more sense, as wolves surely can wreck havoc an cause a bloodbath. But that would apply to many Wesen.
But it's always entertaining to stumble upon the German tidbits in Grimm.
Flag
Yeah, I wanna see you teach somebody to say "Füchse" correctly :D

I have tried with the ü - for over a year with some friends - it is totally useless ;)
Flag
*lol* You're right. The Ü is tricky. Fuchswesen, then? Or Schlaufuchs? ^^
So many possibilities which would sound better. But it's also kind of charming when they concoct their own words on Grimm. This happens in other countries with English, as well. For example, the Germans say "Handy" to a cell phone which is kind of funny and awkward at the same time. The Australian "celly" makes more sense.

Flag
Since i do speak german:

The have a heavy accent. And you can tell from their accent alone that they are most likely from an english speaking country - if you listen to their german alone. Actually the actress playing the doctor has a better pronounciation than the other actress. Since she pronounces the "ö" in "könnte" perfectly she might have a different background.

The thing that trips almost all english speakers up is the "ch" i.e. in the german word for week - woche. Most (as the actors) pronounce it wocke. But the "ch" is not supposed to be a hard sound but a soft one and it has no equivalent in the english language. Both actresses get that one very wrong :)

Otherwise the grammar is correct, as is the sentence structure for the most part. Some things might have been put differently by a real german doctor - but that is nitpicking. There have been other scenes - as far as I remember - where some writing or other has had some mistakes in it. But nothing major I can remember right now.
I guess they have a german speaker consulting on the show for that. Also the german words for the genetics stuff and the Wesen names are usually quite cleverly chosen and fitting.

More +
Flag
So cool. Thanks to all for the replies and answers. You guys rock!
Flag
It was a nice twist - parasite vessen
Flag
I really loved this episode. I'm not sure why. The whole was more than the sum of the parts. And welcome back to television, Mr. Denisof! You've been gone too long.
Flag
The Prince sounded suspiciously like Wesley Wyndam Price aka Alexis Denisof.
Flag
Is this for real? That would be too cool.
Flag
It is indeed him. There have been announcements for a while now about him being cast as Eric Renard's cousin. Though, I'm unsure as to why there was such a big deal about Eric's actor not being able to be in Grimm anymore because he'd got a role in Sleepy Hollow. I mean, he has so far appeared in only one episode of Sleepy Hollow. It's incredibly weird that they'd kill him off for only being unavailable for one episode. Um, anyway, sorry for rambling.
Flag
Looking at the photo above: seems Planet of the Apes has discovered the HK MP5 machine pistol.
Flag
I really liked everything about this episode. It seemed pretty standard fare right up until the Wesen birds-and-the-bees talk, which was... priceless.

And everything that came after that was great too. Loved the Grausen story, loved the encounter with the Wesen council and the fact that Nick is now being "monitored" by them, loved the end scene where, for the first time, we see Nick adding to the Grimm archives. I'd been wondering when and if we'd ever get to see that.

And other things - I really, really like how they have Nick doing his job now. You know, his paid job... being a detective. That kind of fell by the wayside in Seasons 1 and 2 (most actual detective work was usually done by Hank), but now we can see Nick and Hank being a true team. It gets better every time I see it. :)

And I really, really liked how Nick asked Monroe if going with him would put Monroe and Rosalee in danger, and Monroe said, "possibly," and Nick said, "then don't." In all of seasons 1 and 2, I felt that Nick's and Monroe's friendship was kind of one-sided, with Monroe doing all of the giving. But in S3 they're going a long way to making their friendship more even, and that just makes me like Nick more.

If there's one thing I didn't love about this episode, it was Vienna. This is mainly because I've been bored all along with the Vienna storyline. The Adalind storyline is so forgettable (at least to me), and they haven't really shown us yet why we should care. I mean, sure, it affects Adalind... who spent most of her time on the show being the villain. And it apparently affects Renard... indirectly... somehow... But how does it affect Nick? Or Hank? Or Monroe? Heck, how is it affecting Nick's mom? Apparently it's affecting her somehow, but how? I just... I've been watching Adalind's storyline unfold since the middle of season 2, and I still have yet to see a single reason why I should care.

That said, I really liked the exchange at the beginning between Renard, Nick, and Hank. Dialogue-wise and character-wise, everything about this episode was great! :)
More+
Flag
I agree wholeheartedly with the exception of the Vienna storyline. I like seeing the royals and the way they operate and, if anything, I'd like to see more of this.

My question is, why isn't Nick scanning all these archive books into a PC? Seriously, books can burn, but if you have the data backed up on a server somewhere it can help you out down the road. It would also be easier to update, and could be shared with other Grimm. The trailer has so much valuable information that it needs to be copied in some manner.
Flag
I'm loving all the characters more this season, especially the women. Well, Nick has "grimmed up", developing new powers and abilities. Even Hank, who I thought was useless, is playing well with the team. Only sergeant Woo could have more room to grow as a character. Also the captain has developed his own interesting storylines. And Monroe doesn't need to be explained; everybody knows he's great.

And the women... Rosalie is proving to be more and more an asset with her cunning and knowledge, as well as love for Monroe (our favorite monster deserves it). Even Juliette is not the total waste of space she used to be and it was nice to see her all giddy and excited learning all Grimm-related facts and even changing the existing rules with her scientific knowledge.

And Adalind, well, she's a beautiful woman, and since she's evil, conniving, treacherous, self-centered (and quite funny too), that still makes her a very interesting character we want to root for. Oh, well, I do have a weak spot for evil and attractive women in fiction.

Flag
I don't know what to make of the fact that Nick has embraced tradition in such a way that he still writes his Grimm reports in longhand, with a pen, and makes drawings of the Wesen he encounters (Nick's calligraphy and drawing skills must be quite good, some quality all Grimms carry in the genes, I'm sure), instead of starting a new book with color pictures and printed text using his powerbook and a laser printer.
Flag
Assuming that Grimms write down their experiences for the benefit of others, they should have launched an online GrimmWiki by now.
Flag
Buffy would've Carlos. :)
Flag
LOL! Perhaps. Anyway, I understand the need for a low-tech ink-on-paper record of knowledge. They can't rely on faulty technology or something that will become incompatible to future devices, like a DVD. And what if the show pulls a "Revolution" and all electricity is gone in the future? They need something that anyone can read then. But of course the quality of printed material is another thing entirely. Hence, the laser printer.
Flag
Of course. - Writing in the old book would have the advantage that it's - presumably - acid-free paper and will last longer than the modern stuff ;-) Besides, do we know that laser toner will last as long as classic ink?
Clay tablets, anyone?
Flag
Hmmm... Acid-free paper. Never thought of that. My suggestion: metal engraving.
Flag
Totally agree about the Wesen cultural stuff. It is so great that they're finally giving us the history this season. Also agree about Renard. He needs to have more screen time.

I don't think the zombie stuff is over, but maybe they just won't mention it anymore? Like Nick's super hearing comes from the zombie stuff, right?
Flag
Actually, he developed it before, when he was blinded by the Flyman
Flag
Oh that's right, but he did get super healthy from being a zombie.
Flag
Was Juliete puting shoes in the drawer mend to mean something? Weird little note in that scene?
Flag
At first I thought it was going to lead to something more important, but now I think it was just an indication of how distracted she was about the case and concerned she was for the child. OR there was a deleted scene that had more info and we'll find out when the DVD is released. :)
Flag
I am the only person who likes Juliette and does not like Adalind and I'm okay with that.
Flag
Yeah, I really don't like Adalind. She has this weird little body and her eyes are super close together. I wasn't a huge fan of Juliette but relative to Adalind, I really like her.
Flag
I think she's attractive and sexy.
Flag
And I love both. And I'm OK too.
Flag
I thought it was a good episode. Though they really needed to rename it. But perhaps "Please like Juliette, please please like her, see, she is useful, we don't want to have to write a new love interest for Nick. We realize she is the weakest part of the show and we are trying to rectify it, bear with us. But please like Juliette" might have been too long and a bit on the nose.

I think the whole situation with the kind is kind of interesting and can potentially open up a few doors down the road. Because even though the Wesen didn't claim the Grausen, it was kind of Wesen, which could potentially lead one to believe that not all Wesen are genetic and it could happen to someone by "contracting" a virus or a protozoa in this case. I find that interesting considering some of Nick's compatriots lacking in the superhero powers, namely Hank. I don't know if that was their intention. But I think it is an interesting aspect that they could explore at any time.

Juliette was better. However she still hasn't won me over and this didn't make up for her being kind of annoying for the first two seasons

Renard's situation was interesting and I wish that they would have spent more time on it. It was fun and all. But it should have been fleshed out a bit more. Same with Adalind's, the next episode is the winter finale and I want some pretty good action over in Europe. It is warranted and it is long past due.

Overall episode "operation please like Juliette" was fairly successful.
More+
Flag
That's the second episode in a row where we saw a Wesen which wasn't. El Cucuy strayed into the mystical with an apparently immortal creature which can hear the cries of women in distress across time and space; now we have a perfectly normal human who "simply" gets infected by some pathogen. (Note: some Urban Fantasy stories also play with the idea that vampires and werewolfs are simply victims of some infection, not some other non-human species entirely.) I'd be perfectly happy to further explore the actual Wesen universe. BTW: I'm a little perplexed that Nick seems the first Grimm who doesn't blindly exterminate Wesen. The Age of Enlightenment seems to have passed them by entirely. Just like these Council dudes seem to have missed modern medicine entirely.
Flag
Well seemingly he has been the only one thus far that wasn't raised in the life of a Grimm. His father and mother were as known to him, dead. His Aunt didn't involve him in the life. So he grew up and gravitated towards Policing. He could very well be the first one that wasn't raised in the life and able to take morals not associated with Grimm life into the job that he was thrust in. I would also like to see this too fleshed out. Especially since there is also his mother, are their other Grimm's out there? What is their opinion going to be of him.
Flag
I do worry we have put the zombie thing on the back burner to not be addressed again until the second half (which is when other than after the Olympics and does this show only have a twelve epiosde order?)

I suspect given how uncomfortable the Wesen council lackey looked at the prospect of killing the kid and then how pleased he was at being assigned to monitor Nick that at least in him we have met a new ally. I'm not sure but I'm guessing he could be the one to help Rosalee figuring out what's up with Nick.

The whole Vienna thing was weirdly I don't know like eight total odd minutes? They did balance the Stefania stuff episode timing wise.
Flag
I agree; I don't like the idea that the zombie stuff has been tabled before it's been dealt with. Has Nick gotten over it? If so, that's fine. But if not, then it should be a constant threat, until they figure out how to cure it, or manage it, or at least predict it. It shouldn't just be a threat when the writers find it convenient.
Flag
Sorry about the double...

On the plus side... Yay! They're finally starting to make Nick's super-senses a regular part of his character! :D As opposed to having it be something that only pops up occasionally.
Flag
Yeah as I was doing chores today I thought you know what I think they'll end on...somehow Renard will return with some percentage of the keys like enough that the team could figure out the map and maybe he managed to get them right out of Nick's mom's reach and she follows. But yeah I like the enhanced senses being part of Nick and I still wonder if the zombie thing merely only jump started Nick's grimm abilities and the dead periods were just his body letting the jump happen.
Flag
Good episode but the Renard story was a little confusing to me.
Flag
Loved this episode, and loving this season so far. The wesen story was an interesting one for me, especially since it involved this Wesen council. Never knew they even existed lol!!! It turned the Monroe-Rosalee dynamic into a little bit of an argument, but they're cool to me even when they're arguing lol!!! I can't help it!!

I'm realizing how messed up Renard's family is lol!! Every time he does a little bit of investigating, he just runs into trouble FROM THEM!!
Flag
Grimm - getting more amazing every episode this season! I mean:
- Rosalie/Munroe cuteness overload (plus they have real couple problems! (Well as much as fighting over whether to turn a kid over to a council that would cause said kid's death would count as real).
- Juliette continuing to be useful! Thank goodness the writers/showrunners have given her this change, I am starting to actually care for her character now! Also that shoe scene, so funny!
- Hank: "That was really weird." You're damn right it was Hank! So funny when he stated the obvious in that scene though.
Flag
Lets talk about Juliett's folding system.. shoes in the draw?

Nick says something and she completely ignores and closes the draw again!!

That's my only comment on this episode!
Flag
Draw? Are you a New Englander, by chance?
Flag
HAHA ok fine I guess its drawer in American? Its like soccer vs. football (which is the real name of football as it has (FEET and A BALL)
Flag
I want to see some cute mixed-wesen Rosale-Monroe babies :D With those two as parents they should turn out cute and interesting.
Anyway - the biology lessen on inheritance of beeing a wesen was the moment where I went: Uhhh yeah. I wanna see that!!

And I like that the picked up the Council story again and sort of expanded that. It's always nice to see the Grimm-universe thrive.
Flag
According to a commenter on another site (sorry I'm two-timing you tv.com), in cases such as Rosalee and Monroe, the baby would be one or the other not mixed, depending on which of the Wesen set of genes is stronger. So little Monrose would either be Blutbad or Fuschbau. "But as long as it's healthy." But a mixed-wesen would be sooooo much cooler.

I just had a crazy thought. Do we know anything about Nick's father? Is he completely Grimm?
Flag
I think it was established that Nick's father was an ordinary human (Kehrseite).

And I can see what you mean now, about it depending on which gene was dominant.

Wonder if it fits standard genetic rules, where a Blutbad and a Fuchsbau could have a Blutbad child... and that child could then grow up to have a Fuchsbau child, if he/she marries a Fuchsbau (or a Kehrseite, or another race of Wesen that the Fuchsbau gene dominates). :)
Flag
Thats exactly what I think and tried to say below - but you were able to express yourself better :D
Flag
Oh my, you just made my inner geek tingle!! Maybe that's the rest of the birds-and-theWesen breakdown that Monroe was referring to.
Flag
That's not what they implied in the show, though. They kind of implied that a mixed-Wesen pairing will result in a child that is... something else.

I figure, the show is the canon. Everything else, everywhere else, is just speculation. If it's not in the show, then it's not established. :)
Flag
I agree that the show imply that the cross of two type of Wesen will result in a child that is something new, when a cocker spaniel and a poodle have a puppy, it is a cockapoo.
Flag
To my understanding, the commenter was explaining the genetic breakdown according to the meanings of the German words that they used to describe them. I didn't take it as speculation. If I had, I would have never shared it.
Flag
Further details: Here's the full conversation where they are talking about Wesen genetics, in all of its hilarity... :)

---

Nick (N): So, if one parent is a Wesen, and the other one isn't, what would the child be?

Rosalee (R): You mean a Wesen and a Kehrseite?

Hank (H): Yeah...

Monroe (M): So, I guess it's time for the "Birds and the whole Bienen-Wesen" talk. Ok. [clears throat] If both parents are Wesen, then the child will be too.

R: Or if one parent is Wesen and the other is Kehrseite, then there's a 50-50 chance that the child will be Wesen.

M: Unless the Kehrseite is a Kehrseite-Gentrager.

R: Oh... [nods knowingly]

M: Then you're definitely getting a Wesen.

Rosalee: Mm-hmm.

H: Let's pretend I understood what you just said. What if both parents are Wesen, but different kinds?

R (clearly having fun): You mean like a Grudverschiedene situation, like us?

H: [shrugs]

N: Well, we don't mean to pry.

H: Yeah, we do.

M: Well, then you're looking at a Vorherrscher. But, as long as it's healthy, we don't care.

[Nick's phone rings] N: [answering] Burkhardt... we're on our way. [hangs up. To H] Seminary student's conscious. [to M and R] Thank you for your help... I think.

M: Hey, don't expect to just get it all in one talk.
More +
Flag
The "Kehrseite-Gentrager" part of the conversation is completely confusing. I would assume "Kehrseite-Gentrager" is someone who carries both a Wesen allele and a Wesen allele.

My first guess would be that Wesen is the recessive trait and the Kehrsite is the dominant one because a "Kehrseite-Gentrager" is still a Kehrseite, making Kehrsite the expressed and therefore dominant trait. However that doesn't make sense when you do a Mendel cross.

Assume K is the dominant Kersite allele and k is the recessive Wesen allele. The possible outcome for the offspring of a Wesen (kk) and a Kehrseite-Gentrager (Kk) are: Kk Kk kk kk. That means a 50% chance at being a Wesen and a 50% chance at being a Kehrseite-Gentrager.

If Wesen were dominant trait then you could hypothetically have the 100% Wesen outcome Monroe talks about. Assume one of the parents had two Wesen allele (WW). That cross would yield WW WW Ww Ww all of which would express themselves as Wesen. Still I find it out that someone who was Wesen with a recessive Kerseite trait would be labeled "Kehrseite-Gentrager".

Yes, I am aware I'm overthinking this.

More +
Flag
Vorherrscher means "to dominate" in German, so it could be making reference to a dominant gene as gzeigler3 mentioned.

Flag
Ok, so we are waiting for a "Vorherrscher"

That is basically a german word:
Vorherrschen - noun for dominance
vorherrschen - verb for to prodominate, prevail, reign

So Vorherrscher applies that to a person (-r instead of -n at the end) which seems to indicate to me (not a biologist):

The offspring has both genes but one is dominant and therefore it presents as one or the other but could itself pass along the other half to the next generation.
Flag
I thought it was kind of boring. I appreciate that they're trying to do non-Wesen stuff, and they've done it effectively in the past with the weeping lady spirit and El Cucuy to some degree. But here they just seemed to toss a lot of medical lingo at the issue, and were going into science fiction territory. Maybe to cash in on upcoming Helix series?

As noted, the conflict between Rosalee and Monroe came and went too quickly to have much significance. And the finale was a big in-the-dark handheld camera fest. The Renard subplot with the conversations about guys we've never heard of like Fornay and Tavitian was also kind of slow and uninvolving.

But at least we got to hear Alexis Denisof!
Flag
I knew that voice was familiar!
Flag
Ohh, I thought that voice sounded familiar! Yay, can't wait for him!
Flag
Also the resolution was kind of eh. Juliette is spouting off deductions that would make Dr. House proud. They "deduce" that the cold will kill the parasite, and then they turn to the father to decide whether to leave the boy to potentially die. He dithers for a few seconds and then the parasite is killed anyway before dad can say yes or no.

So basically, they "won" because Alexander chased the boy out into the cold. They didn't do anything except find where Daniel hid.
Flag
So basically, they "won" because Alexander chased the boy out into the cold. They didn't doanything except find where Daniel hid.

That's how the parasite was beaten, true. But the parasite wasn't the real problem of the episode. The problem was this entire council that was intent on killing an innocent child. And Nick put a stop to that, which on a large scale, got a society that I'm guessing is resistant to change, to change a little. And he also got himself onto the council's radar. :)
Flag
Sure, but typically you've got to have the A-plot menace be somewhat imposing and challenging, to go along with moving the b-plots along. De Goot last appeared about midway through season 2, so we've had almost a year/1 season between Council stories. At this rate, Nick will actually meet the guy around season 8. :)
Flag
The thing that I took away from this episode the most was how relevant Juliette is being made out to be these last two episodes. She's not as annoying as she was with that whole amnesia story arc they threw at her. It made sense to me that her & Nick would figure out what the doctor's didn't just because they were talking it out and looking at the problem from a different angle.

And I was trying so hard to recognize the voice of the "new" prince. It just sounded so familiar!
Flag
Not a bad episode, although once again we got all kinds of hints about the Royals and Wesen political structure but no explanations.This is another stand alone episode like last week, where the story is pretty good and wrapped up within the episode, but really does little to propel the over arching plotline and this one did little to move any character development except possibly Juliette. Sooner or later the writers are going to have to start explaining some of the things they keep dropping hints about or we are going to have to have 2 episodes of back story reminding us what they all are, like the map on the key or the coins. I haven't heard the map mentioned this whole season, I think. There was some action with Renard but it was ill explained as he went on a mission to Europe and was attacked by what I think was Verkat. One thing I really liked was at the end where they showed Nick writing in his ancestors journal, expanding them and keeping them up to date.
Pretty upset that they are only going to have one more show before the winter break, even though Grimm didn't start until late October. I told people back then that starting it late would just cut the amount of episodes in a season and I think I am being shown to be right by the idiot execs at NBC. They are treting this show like Chuck or Farscape, both run by the same network idiots and what they did is banish them to bad time slots and ran them for a couple of years before cancelling them. They do this because even though they have loyal followers(which is why they think they can put them in bad time slots), they don't have the numbers the execs think they should have, although they are better than the CW or other small networks. They aren't smart enough to try them in better time slots with better lead shows or other things that might get them more viewers. I think NBC should hire trained monkeys for execs, they would do a better job and I have a feeling we might want to think about a letter campaign to keep this show, be proactive and start before they even make announcements.
More+
Flag
I thought it was a neat little addition to the Wesen world. I really like these stories that expand upon the world and bring new things to light. It confuses me how Juliet was able to come up with a solution when all of the doctors couldn't, but meh. At least she isn't being useless anymore, amirite? I'm right.

I'm surprised the whole council thing didn't cause Monroe and Rosalee to fight. I was holding my breath, waiting for the "unavoidable" blowout of Rosalee reporting to the Council and Monroe siding with Nick, but both parties seemed perfectly cool with being at opposite ends of the loyalty scale. Very strange. I wonder if that will be brought up later, but I'm not holding my breath.

Who is this new Prince? Does Renard have another brother that we don't know about? Very interesting.
Flag
Thourougly annoyed at my DVR. I thought oh I will watch Elementary and then watchGrimm with no commercials. And for some reason it decided to only record the second half hour.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members