A Grimm Community
Friday 8:00 PM on NBC (Returning Fall 2016)

Grimm S03E17: “Synchronicity”

Grimm's past/future struggle was strong with this one, and for once, everything came down to Nick instead of Monrosalee. We've seen Nick take tentative steps toward the future before, shucking Grimm tradition in favor of not blindly killing all the Wesen simply for being Wesen. But with the return of Momma Grimm, Nick's progressive stance on Grimm-Wesen relations was put to the test, and I think we saw Nick come into his own as a Grimm when he stood up to his more seasoned mother, instead of deferring to her more draconian methods of dealing with Adalind, Renard, and their still unnamed Monster Baby. 

As far as Grimms go, Nick is a pretty patient and understanding one, but I think that we can sometimes miss that in the absence of a fellow Grimm to compare him to. When you realize that Nick is actually quite an anomaly, and the Wesen of the world are more accustomed to dealing with Grimms like Nick's mom (or worse), the problem of Nick attending Monroe and Rosalee's wedding makes a lot more sense. That's not to say that it didn't make sense before, because it totally did, but spending some quality time with a more traditional Grimm allows us to see why Monroe's argument that Nick is "different" seems feeble and a little bit naive to his parents. Papa Monroe doesn't look quite so paranoid and unhinged anymore. 

Kelly Burkhardt isn't even a particularly ruthless Grimm, but compared to her son, she certainly walks a narrower path, with an air of "I am the Grimm in the room, therefore I am in charge" about her. She approaches a mission with only one outcome in mind—the completion of that mission. Why talk to Renard and Adalind about their baby when she can just take the baby? 

Monroe and Rosalee explained to Nick that when Wesen see him in their woged forms, it's the darkness in his eyes that gives him away and causes them all manner of horror and discomfort, but given the history of Grimms and their previous operating protocols, it's hard to blame Wesen for being jumpy even without the soulless eyes thing. As a result, Nick is going to wear sunglasses to the wedding. Simple, but effective, until he trips on a rock or something. 

Anyway, Adalind is back in Portland! Because no one is ever going to think to look for her in Portland! I really think that if Kelly knew who Adalind actually was, she would've selected a different city to hide her in, and with that, I'm a little surprised that uber-Grimm Kelly didn't bother to learn more about her target before bringing her into her freaking son's house, but eh, Adalind is back with her snark fully recharged, so whatever. Rookie mistake, Momma Grimm, and while I'm sure things will get messy for the next few weeks, they'll probably all work out in the end. 

The two concurrent stories running through this episode are where the hour got its name: "Synchronicity" is the apparent relationship between two or more events that otherwise have no connection. Monrosalee's nuptial arrangements comes off as quaint and cute, a domestic break in all the running and hiding and slaughtering of Royals, but when you look at it in the context of the rest of this season, their wedding-planning woes are just as high-stakes as Grimm's more intense storylines. There have been times when the traditional versus nontraditional, progressive versus conservative, old versus new sentiments have been overwhelming this season, but not without purpose. Monroe and Rosalee's wedding represents the ultimate unity between traditionally incompatible Wesen and the historically incompatible Wesen and Grimm. We've seen so many examples of Wesen who strive to escape the role traditionally reserved for them, and now, we're seeing that progressiveness extend to Grimms as well. Throw in an apparent Monster-Messiah baby for good measure and we're clearly headed for one hell of a finale—and given that we already know NBC has renewed Grimm for a fourth season, the future is looking bright for the series as we head into Season 3's homestretch. 

ALL ABOARD AUNT MARIE'S BOOKMOBILE OF CRAZY

– Aww. Have we ever actually seen Renard smile before? 

– I totally forgot that Renard is supposed to be some kind of bad(ish) guy. Kinda glad to be getting back to that. Kind hoping Renard proves everyone wrong. 

– LOL @ Adalind's "Oh my god." 

– Poor Adalind. No wonder she ran to Renard. Literally no one cares about her except in relation to Monster Baby. 

What'd you think of "Synchronicity"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/20/2016

Season 5 : Episode 22

133 Comments
Comments (133)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
This show has gotten much, much better in the last half of this season. In fact all of season 3 has been great. Pity they wasted much of season 2 with the Juliet nonsense.

Heck, season 3's been so good, I even kinda like Juliet now.
Flag
This episode (along with Ep. 17) was hilarious, in a good way. The constant run of synchronicity (I'm a big Carl Jung fan) and everyone's reactions to the seemingly endless chain of improbable events was priceless. A most quotable double episode:

Nick: Well, I guess she doesn't know who you are either since you killed her mother.
Kelly: Oh, right. Yeah. I'd forgotten about that.

Nick: Did you kill the driver?
Kelly: Why would I do that?
Nick: Just checking.

Renaud: Well, you did sleep with my brother.
Adalind: And you slept with my mother.
Renaud: I suppose we belong together.

Munroe: Wait a minute, didn't your Mom kill her Mom.
Nick: Yeah, but Adalind doesn't know that.
Kelly: For the record, she fell on a shard of glass.

Nick: I'll tell you the rest when we get there.
Munroe: There's more?
Nick: A little bit.

Nick: They're going to wonder what happened to their FBI agent.
Munroe: Wha ... FBI agent? Ye ... never mind.

Hank: That's not a woman you want to have a baby with. Who's the idiot father?

I guess I'm one of the few Claire Coffee fans here in Grimmville. I love the way she pushes Nick's buttons and the way she plays Adalind as an unlikely mix of ingenue and hell bitch. I always thought she and Nick would make an interesting (to say the least) couple.
More+
Flag
I hate Adalind so much...I want her dead or at least power deprived again.
Flag
I wonder how long the show's creators knew how Wesen see Grimms. It took them long enough to reveal it, but it should have actually been done earlier by having Nick's eyes change, as seen by a Wesen. At least they have most always shown that the Wesen seem to realize Nick is a Grimm when they change into creature form, so it is consistent.

Juliette needs to go back to her job. She's a vet, right, so when does she ever work? Maybe they can develop her into a Wesenarian. She could study and learn how to treat Wesen and do so with a Wesen doctor/healer of some kind, if not on her own. Wesen are animal related, so why not? Give her something more important to be.
Flag
It was good to finally learn how the wesen can tell that Nick's a grimm
Flag
Well we saw the dress (UGLY) so A, the dress will get destroyed before the wedding ( my hope ) or B, there will be NO wedding... we NEVER see the dress before the wedding.. I am soooo glad Renard and Adalind are back together AND the girl will be named DESTINY ( I think )
Flag
This was a very interesting episode. I loved seeing Rosealee in the wedding dress. She is going to be a lovely bride. I also liked when Renard is introduced to his daughter. I am looking forward to the next episode.
Flag
When I was watching the episode, before they revealed what Nick looks like to Wesen, I said, "He should wear sunglasses to cover his eyes. They are too blue to be normal!"
Flag
It depends on the lighting. If he's indoors, his eyes are actually very green. :)
Flag
Wouldn't coloured contacts work better than sunglasses? They'd probably be a lot less conspicuous. Unless the darkness MonRosalie was referring to also affects the whites of the eyes.
Flag
I think that, even if it were just the irises and not the corneas, contacts would still only work, if it were just a matter of Nick's eyes changing color. But what Monroe described sounded, to me at least, like Nick's eyes become soulless pits of Hell. The fact that Wesen see their true, darkest, Wesen nature, reflected in his eyes, sounds like there's a lot more to it than just Nick's eyes changing color.

In fact, as an analogy, Wesen being able to tell Nick's a Grimm, is probably about as related to Nick's actual eye color, as being able to taste is related to our taste buds (i.e. not very... you do need taste buds in order to taste, but most tasting actually takes place in our noses).

My guess: the only reason that even the sunglasses worked (when looking at them head-on... Monroe and Rosalee didn't even try looking at him from the side!) was that they couldn't see his eyes at all.

As a side note: I wonder what this will mean in terms of Nick's wearing sunglasses all the time. I hope not; Nick is kind of a reserved character, and most of his feelings come through in his eyes. The actor who plays him really excels at that, and if we (the audience) can't see his eyes, that takes away from most of his performance.
More +
Flag
You know Adalind is going to be a bad Hexenbiest mamma when she drives off in a stolen truck without putting her precious Magic Baby in a proper infant carrier/seat. But guess will have to chalk that up to sleep deprivation and (turbo)jet lag.

Actually after our first introductions to Adalind I'm kinda liking her character now, and am hoping that mammahood will turn her from a path of pure evil.

And might it be sort of cool if Hexenbiest Magic Baby and the Grimm somehow unite? If not for 100% Good but at least for some sort of positive New World Order among the Wesen, et al.?

The sunglasses solution as a way for Nick to be the best man was certainly glib and cheesy after this many seasons have passed. But I'll go with it. Of course I'm going to be looking for a completely over the top wedding episode that also manages to culminate in Nick and (sure, why not?) Juliette becoming god parents to Magic Baby. With the Nick-Adalind blood tie this has got to happen!
Flag
  • How good was this episode WITHOUT a 'wessen of the week'?
  • Momma Grimm was pretty badass but taking Adalind to Portland seemed beyond idiotic. OK so she didn't know who Adalind was but surely when you are hired for such a job you're given places to avoid? That was a bit silly but OK, belief suspended since it was fun to confront everyone with Adalind + Magic Baby - oi, that baby is cute, can we call her Magic Baby and not monster baby please?
  • I was as sad as Adalind to leave hot badass guy behind in the snow but hopefully he travels to Portland because, you know, it is on a hellmouth or something.
  • All this talk about this baby having to grow up in a 'normal' (not royal, not resistance) family seems to indicate an alternative foster family may be needed? I hope that doesn't mean Nick & Juliette... A Grimm hardly sounds like a normal environment and yet, the baby already likes Nick... I am guessing because of the Grimm blood Adalind ingested? Not sure what that could mean for future Burkhardt babies... Magic Baby may work her... magic?
  • Such a relief Nick never posed the question to marry Juliette... Phew... Close call there...
  • There has been no mention of Adalind actually selling the baby to regain her powers.. And Adalind hasn't shown any guilt... Surely that has to feature in teh future? No wonder Magic Baby prefers Nick already...
  • The sunglasses solution to Grimm-ness at the wedding seems pretty ludicrous... I'd say Nick just skypes as best man (with sunglasses if they insist) to avoid trouble... It is not as if with Magic Baby around there is going to be a shortage...

More+
Flag
I like Meissner! I thought for sure that Adalind was gonna fall for him.. but I guess she's going to be with Sean?
Flag
Was anyone else yelling at the screen saying no Nick NO! when it looked like he was about to ask Juliette the big question?

Momma Grimm is awesome shes certainly a take charge and bulldoze in a single direction kind of lady (no tact) I like it.

Not sure about sun glasses at the wedding but it seems like a reasonable solution so long as the wedding guests in the know don't tell the rest of them (thinking of Bud in particular here).

I also thought it was interesting the bit about monster baby's powers.. Momma grimm says they come from the Hexenbeist side, does that mean the Royals don't have powers? or perhaps the royal bit is not necessarily anything to do with being wesen at all..
Flag
Yes re: proposal... It looked pretty telegraphed that they were going to be interrupted but such a relief... Momma Grimm saved the day there...
Flag
oh yeah I knew the interruption was coming but I was still yelling.
Flag
Well.. everything is now in place.. The Grimms are united, the hexenbiest, baby hexenbiest and zauberbiest are together and they live happily ever after.
Flag
I loved this episode it was great I just hope nick and Juliette don't get married I still have my issues with them as a couple. Was it just me but was mama Grimm relieved the baby was a girl and why did she react like that to the locket with Nicks photo in it, does this mean she has a connection to nick?????? And does mama Grimm know this. It was nice to finally find out what gives nick away as a Grimm I'm glad they did this. Can't wait for episodes to come.
Flag
Regarding how Momma Grimm looked when she confirmed it was a girl... actually, she seemed resigned to me. Like, "oh. A girl. That's... too bad."

We know female Grimms come into their abilities earlier than males do... maybe that's true of hexenbiests too? Actually, zauberbiests don't seem to have much in the way of "abilities" at all, so maybe the fact that it's a girl means everything, if it's a baby hexenbiest.

I do think the baby could have a connection to Nick, but I don't think there's any way she could know it from a childhood photo of a man she'd never seen. Actually, in this episode, she (the baby) seemed much more... well, baby-like than in previous episodes. Sure, she was moving things and bending spoons and pretending pillows were her, but with the possible exception of when she blew open all the doors and windows (?) to Nick's place and then showed an illusion of herself on the bed, everything she did just seemed like something that a regular baby (with superpowers) would do. Momma Grimm was holding a new interesting object, and the baby wanted a closer look at it, so she pulled it with her powers, and it snapped open. That's all I thought it was, at least.

Actually, I find myself really hoping that, except for the superpowers, the baby really is just a baby. I think that ties in nicely with what Momma Grimm said about how she is capable of great evil or great good when she grows up, depending on her upbringing. Isn't that true of every baby? I kind of like that. And I really hope that she has a connection to Nick, if only because that will lead to a happy ending. That is a very cute baby. I don't want to see her become evil; that would be a tragedy. And I didn't sign up for a tragedy when I decided to watch Grimm.
More +
Flag
All good and valid points. I don't want her to become evil either.
Flag
In this ep the showed how Nick took Adalind's powers away by having her drink his blood. Perhaps that created some link to the baby? So the baby is Royal, Hexanbeast and Grimm? A baby to unite them all... Awwww....
Flag
I think your right because nick giving Adalind his blood was mentioned.
Flag
good episode and glad that it will be back for a forth season. I always wonderd how they knew he was a Grim thats good to know, and as for the sunglasses wouldnt colred contacts or somehitng have the same effect and be way less noticable?
Flag
Nick wearing shades is the kind of ridiculous solution that fits Grimm perfectly. and it was hilarious. And of course nothing will go wrong...
Flag
I loved this episode, especially with Mama Grimm and Mama & Baby Hexenbiest. Normally I'm not a big fan of Adalind, but I did enjoy Juliette giving her what-for for putting her through hell. It wasn't just a coma, Juliette nearly forgot all about Nick and almost lost her mind remembering him. Adalind deserves a lot more karma coming back to her in a not nice way. And if it takes a tough redemption arc to do it, so be it. And seeing Juliette put the welfare of the baby before her own feelings shows what a wonderful person she is; I doubt I would've been able to do it.

Mama Grimm is awesome!!! Well, maybe a bit too much old school for Portland, but she could give a whole new spin to the concept of "tough love". I can see a lot of Nick in her, though fortunately not too much.

I would so love to see Nick as the wessen do!

Rosalee's dress was sweet, but I didn't like it as much as the first dress that Juliette was looking at. But I still see trouble ahead if Nick goes to the wedding. It could get ugly real fast.
More+
Flag
Good ep. Loved the fact that we finally learn how Wessen spot and see Grimm. Of course Nick wearing sunglasses whole time might raise a (particulary bushy) eyebrow but we'll see what we'll see (and what Wessen woun't see).

Loved the "wow, this is awkward" family reunion. Though obviously the moment they landed in Oregon it was obvious where whole show is heading.

But honestly, some technical research please? Flying from Switzerland to Oregon in one bound? That looked like a DC-3 so range should be around 1.500 miles. If you factor in extra fuel tanks (where were they exactly, seeing how cargo bay was empty?), extra weight for that extra fuel and low level flight you shouldn't get more than 3,000 miles. Distance between Zurich and Portland is bit less than 5.400 miles. And that's direct flight on cruising altitude, not dodging radars over Canada at low altitude. And not factoring in the flight before they picked up the gang, which was problematic to begin with, landing DC-3 on unpaved airstrip with not only full tanks but extra fuel as well.

Would make much more sense if they'd flown to somewhere on US or Canadian east coast (a stretch by itself but still somewhat possible) and then onward to Oregon. There is a reason why a lot of transatlantic flights stop in Dublin.
More+
Flag
Yeah, this bothered me too. Of course, I was also trying to figure out how a DC-3 would have made it from Europe to Brazil, their apparent original destination.
Flag
It wouldn't, distance is even greater. But one could assume there would be a stop to refuel somewhere along the way, such as west Africa.
Flag
Juliette had the best line of the night, or possibly ever on Grimm: "That was a hell of a coma you put me in b*tch. And by the way, I know what's going on now."

I wish they'd be a little nicer to Adalind though. Also, totally shipping Meissner? and Adalind....too bad it doesn't look like it's going to happen after all.
Flag
Just saw the ratings Grimm is been down 2 weeks in a row! I say get rid of Juliette and Wu, Put a limit on the lovey-dovey Munroe and Rosalee storylines and keep it to discovering more of wesen culture. More royal family , Adalind ( her protector is cool though) , Mama Nick and monster baby. And please more wesen story of the week.
Flag
I am not bothered about Wu though he has his fun moments and the show doesn't force us to see him all the time.
Now Juliette, yes please, have her emigrate to greener pastures. It is just so forced each week when they try to get her to have something significant to do... This week she suddenly knew about caring for babies even if she was the only one of the three who has never had a baby herself unlike Momma Burkhardt & Adalind... Pffft
Adalind is really compelling and a fun character esp. for one that has been mainly evil...
Magic Baby is awesome... I hope she grows extra fast and causes lots of hijinks while looking all adorable...
Flag
I guess we have different opinions because I don't really like Mama Nick and Adalind very much. Okay Adalind has been getting a little more interesting but if this season ends with her death I'd be one happy person because well I don't like her.

As for Juliette and Wu. I wouldn't want to get rid of them. I'm in the minority but I actually like Juliette and I really like Wu.

But I would love to learn more of the wesen culture and more of the royal family.
Flag
Like Whatifnuts and Wysteria, I like Juliette. Most of the time it's not her fault she's not given much to do, and I think the show-writers should take some responsibility for integrating her a little more. But, I don't like her with Nick. In addition to having zero romantic chemistry, I still struggle to see these two as a couple. If the whole fiasco with Renard proved nothing else, it's that Juliette has better potential...even as a love interest...not being with Nick.
Flag
Glad I'm not alone on liking Juliette lol, but I kinda like Mama Nick in small doses and I find Adalind funny.
Flag
Fine Episode, love to see Nick's mother is back and some new facts learned about young Nick.

But best of all:

How Wesens ("vessens") detect a Grimm ?

Wesens can detect a Grimm by looking into their eyes. According to Monroe: "they can see a darkness in a Grimm's eyes that reflects to their true nature."

The baby shocked us with his extreme powers.
Flag

Flag
That's brilliant... silliest Grimm moment in the entire show surely? I think it was an April's fool...
Flag
Hello children, Mommy's home :D

Oh, I foresee either Monroe/Rosalee or Nick/Juliette "adopting" the kid, because somehow they will have to "hide" the kid in plain sight and with someone everyone involved trusts. Somewhere the kid can grow up 'normal', but knows about Wesen, somewhere NOT with the Resistance and NOT with the Royals. Who comes to mind? :D
This is gonna be SO much fun to watch.

Also: Bonus cute-ness points for Monroe and Rosalee while looking into Nick's sunglasses:

That was a fairly long shot of both of the 'woged'. Usually those are way shorter, probably to save on the CGI-money - but this was a great scene.
Flag
I loved this episode and it looks like it's going to be one really cool and exiting season finale.

It was so nice to finally find out how wesens know that Nick is a Grimm. And loved Monroes and Rosalees solution to the problem with the wedding even if it will probably not Work out. That will be one really interesting wedding.

Also loved Nicks and Juliettes reaction when seeing Adalind and Adalinds not so enthusiaatic reation upon seeing them.

I Wonder if the season will end up with either Monroe and Rosalee or Juliette and Nick getting a baby?

Loved Renard's smile when holding the baby. I really hope that he's one of the good Guys and not a bad guy because I love that man.
Flag
Fun episode. But this is why parents and children should communicate more than coded messages through email. That way Momma Grimm would have known that she should have taken Adalind to Hawaii. Because seriously, no one would look for them in Hawaii. Also, she should have asked Adalind if she had any connections to Portland. Momma Grimm has been around for a while, she would know to do that. If you are hiding someone, the first rule is you eliminate any place that they have already been to. That is fairly simple.

Other than that the episode was hilarious. I ma glad that they finally explained how the Wessen realize that Nick is a Grimm. I kind of want to see the black eyes, that would be kind of cool.

I also liked that they turned away from the one of's and concentrated on the over arcing story with Grimm's and Royals and Resitance. I think this was the strongest episode in a while for that. Nick and his Mom catching up might have been a little too quick. But given the circumstances it is understandable. Momma Grimm is right, the baby needs to be not raised by either the Royals or Renard, we already know Renard's secret ideas when he had the coins. Him with his own baby and with as power as she is is going to be something that I am not sure he is going to want to give up.

Now saying that, this might be the instance that breaks up the gang. Or at least Renard's part in the gang. This might be what brings up a confrontation between Renard and Nick. Which is good.

But with all of that, where should the baby go. I find it interesting and a little coincidental that Monroe and Rosalee are now just getting married and are primed to start a family. That would be a logical place. But again, the baby shouldn't be in Portland where the Royals know where it is. Unless that is how they are going to bypass having to go back to Europe for a while. Because eventually that is where the show has to go. The keys aren't going to be in Portland.
More+
Flag
Why did the baby makes that "earthquake-like,dim-light thingy when Adalind escaped through the window?..To alert everyone else? why?. didnt baby Purple-eyes want to escape?..didnt she like the window way-escape?..i could be way off base but Nick seems like the best person to protect (and parent) the baby.
Flag
...why go to a bridal shop to try on a dress that you already own? Are you really that dissatisfied with the quality of your own mirrors, or are you just looking for the approval of complete strangers?
Flag
I have no experience with this, but my guess... to get a professional's opinion on whether the dress needs any alterations.
Flag
That's also exactly what they talked about with the sales-lady. Her professional opinion: no adjustment required.
Flag
Great episode! While I don't dislike Wesen-of-the-week episodes, this is mainly because they serve to make episodes like this one, special. :) (Otherwise, if all episodes were like this one, it could get kind-of overwhelming!)

Regarding the wedding and the reveal (finally!) of what Grimms look like to Wesen... I have mixed feelings. I kind of like the mental image MonRosalee drew when they described what Grimms look like, but I'm not sure I agree with their solution for the wedding. Frankly, I think it makes a lot more sense to put a note in the invitation, informing them that there will be a Grimm there but nothing will happen as long as everybody is on their best behavior. I mean, what if the glasses fall off for any reason?

Regarding the A plot: loved it. :) Yeah, I actually said that, about a plot centering around Adalind and her baby! Why? Because it's finally tied to the protagonist of the show. Also, because there are answers. Not so sure I agree with how Momma Grimm just magically seemed to know all the answers, but at least some answers were given. And I like the theme - that this is a child that could be evil, or good, depending on her upbringing, and whether she's brought up around loving and ethical people.

Speaking of which... I actually see the future of this plotline a little differently. I think Renard and Nick will eventually, reluctantly, agree that the best plan, by far, is for Adalind and the baby to stay at Nick's place. (I mean, it's not like Renard's home isn't the very first place the Royals will look, or anything). And, while they're staying with Nick and Juliette, I think a special connection will form between Nick and the baby - if there isn't already a special connection due to the child (possibly) carrying Nick's blood. I actually have high hopes for this storyline now; it could go some really interesting places, especially (oddly) if she has a relatively normal (i.e. no premature physical or mental aging) childhood, where they actually have to raise her, and teach her how the world works and teach her right from wrong. Just like with a regular child, but with superpowers. :)

Just as a side note, now I'm actually kind of curious about Juliette's background. Where did she learn so much about babies? Does she have younger siblings that we don't know about? Nieces? Nephews? Or did she just babysit a lot as a teenager? Anyway, it's probably a good thing... Momma Grimm is unlikely to stick around for long, and neither Nick or Adalind (or Renard, for that matter) have any experience with babies whatsoever. Monroe is an only child (I think), and Rosalee (I think) is the baby of the family, so they probably wouldn't be much better.

Anyway, seeing Nick protecting a baby - or possibly the baby protecting Nick - could be really interesting. I hope they go that route.
More+
Flag
Me to I really hope nick and the baby form a stronger bond and protect each other. I said in my post the way the baby reacted to the locket with nicks photo in it seemed very odd but still important.
Flag
Still can't stand Adalind. She' so not fit to be a mother. Didn't she just conceive the child to get her powers back? And when I think, how she and her (now dead) mother got along, I don't see how the little "Special Baby" could grow up to be a good person around Adalind. I think, she'll be back to normal, once the preganancy hormones finally die down.
She was even to dumb to understand why Juliette helped her and the Baby. The concept of good-heartedness is beyond Adalind and surely will stay out of her grasp. And not everyone goes about killing people for fun or petty revenge.
If there's a redemption arc coming for her, it must be much better than simply give childbirth. For the moment, I don't buy it.

And I don't believe, that they ruined Nick's proposal. He und Juliette belong together, she's great and finally in the loop and a real trooper. I love the friendship between the two couples and the small glimpses of normality that we get from them. Finally, a supernatural show that has got functioning relationships and a stable background for the ones involved in disturbing battles. I like that very much.
Wouldn't want another mad love triangle like in so many of the other shows...
More+
Flag
I agree the baby probably wouldn't grow up to be a good person if raised by just Adalind, at least not Adalind the way she is now. But I do think she (Adalind) has the capacity to grow... we've already seen it with the changing way she's thought of Meisner. I'm kind of hoping that we see a return of Adalind's cunning from S2 (that's been missing for this entire season), but this time, on the right side.

As for not being able to understand why Juliette would help... that actually indicates the birth of a conscience, to me. She's aware that she did some really horrible things to them, so she's naturally having difficulty understanding why they would do anything for her.

I, personally, don't really see a classic "redemption arc" (where a villain becomes a hero), but I do think it's possible to at least see Adalind become somebody who's capable of being a genuinely decent person. Especially if she's forced to stay with Nick and keep the peace for the baby's sake. She can only learn from him, and the baby will learn from him as well.
Flag
Adalind's only redemption has been her being caring of the baby once she was born but before, she sold her! I would not be surprised if Adalind get the ultimate redemption by dying protecting the baby by the end of this season when the Royals arrive to Portland looking for her...
Flag
I really enjoyed not having a Weson of the week episode. It was nice actually seeing the main plot develop for a change. My only complaint, and it would have been an easy fix, was how were we supposed to believe that 1940 DC 3 would be able to fly 5000 miles? I understand that it probably looked cooler, but gee...
Flag
One of the things I liked about this episode is how the irony of how similar Kelly and Adalind's situtations are is lost to these characters, especially Kelly. The "normal" life she hopes to obtain for Adalind's child is what she aimed for when she opted to give Nick up to her sister. Kelly also sees the child as having a great destiny but fails to see that the uniqueness of her own child, Nick, also bestows on him a great destiny. Because of how he was raised, not as a Grimm, he has become a most unconventional Grimm. More a mediator than a executioner.
Flag
I too like this plot arch stretching over the season better than the weekly cookie cutter crime solving episode, it's been satisfying. I'm sure this storyline will leave us with the season ending cliff hanger which will be slightly annoying. We know the Grimms will want the baby raised by normal parents (presumably not Rosalee and Monroe) while everyone else has selfish intentions (or could Renard and Adalind ever be good parents?). My guess will be that Renard will keep the baby for a while, lose it to Viktor at some point and when Nick rescues the child he and Adalind will relent and let her be raised anonymously.
Flag
only complain is too little Monroe and Rosalee. But at least we get a "Whoop!"
Flag
I loved this episode! I love it when the show focuses on the regular characters instead of the Wesen criminal of the week.

I hope Adalind is getting a redemption arc. Maybe being a mother will tone down her evil side,lol. I thought it was kind of dumb for Nick's mom, Nick, and Juliette to have such a serious discussion about Adalind and her baby with her upstairs freaking out. Seems like that was just a convenient way to let Adalind get away. Nick's mom needs to calm down about Renard, but from the previews it seems like things are going to get out of hand.

Can't wait for Monroe and Rosalee's wedding! I hope they get to have a lovely wedding that isn't ruined by any craziness. I expect there will be a few funny moments between Monroe's family and Nick, but I hope nothing terrible messes up their day.
Flag
Like another poster commented, I enjoyed the fact that this episode wasn't "Wesen of the week" and more about an actual plot line.

Though it felt kind of thrown in, I still appreciated finding out how the Wesen know Nick's a Grimm and, yes, it's poetically wonderful. The Wesen woge when they "see" (whether it be physical or emotional) and to have them know that Nick can see their true form when they look at him was great.

I liked everything revolving around the wedding. I even liked Rosalee's dress, but I liked it because it fits her personality. She's vintage and very appreciative of her heritage so for her to wear her grandmother's wedding dress (who, I'm going to assume, was also Wesen) only makes sense.

The flashback was a nice surprise seeing as we've not heard much of Nick's family story in a while. I hope more flashbacks involving what really happened to Nick's dad are in order!

The living room scene was more than I could've asked for. Having everyone realize their connections, while shouting at each other, was perfect! Juliette's "Bitch please!" moment was one of the most intense moments for her thus far and she nailed it.

I like the direction they're going with Adalind's character and I hope they keep the redemptive arc rolling. It feels, to me, similar to Regina from OUaT (except with Lana Parilla being a better actress...sorry, Claire Coffee).
More+
Flag
Seriously?? 25 comments so far and 13 of them are spam. I usually enjoy reading the comments section but wading through so much crap is really getting tiresome and annoying. Spend half the time flagging this stuff, no fun.
Flag
I know, it is so ridiculous. I try to flag when I can but really?
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
It makes me wonder why so many posters here end up getting hacked. I don't think it's intentional, I just don't think they realize it. Maybe I'm wrong, but the 1 time my twitter got compromised everybody in my address book got bombed with this same crap.
Flag
Must...keep...flagging...til they're goooooone.
Flag
Appreciate the help flagging! Everything should be cleaned up now.
Flag
Really liked this episode....it was not another random Wesen storyline, which they had to stop. This was much more intense...the baby is special..
So Adalind is now back in Portland. I really think she should have stayed with Nick and Juliette..
Loved by the way, Juliette teasing Nick about killing the relatives of Monroe and Rosalee at the wedding...that was pretty funny actually..
So now we know....they know it is a Grimm through the eyes...cool..i had always wondered how they knew...
Somehow i have a feeling that this child is going to end up with Nick and Juliette...maybe next season...
Missed Wu this episode...
Flag
Would have been a much better episode if I didnt know what was going to happen thanks to the promos from 2 weeks ago!
Flag
Yeah, that's the reason I NEVER EVER watch any promo, trailer or any sort of movie/series advertisement.
But you really have to be quick sometimes to hit the right button on the remote to avoid those stupid "Next week on ... " scenes.
Flag
Nobody held a gun to your head and forced you to watch the promos.

...or maybe someone did, who knows.
Flag
Promos should never give away the main big spoilers of an episode or movie. Some of the side plots or things what lead up to the main plot, but never the main thing.
Flag
What the hell happened during the last five minutes of the episode? First Kelly stressed the importance of Adalind staying with her child. But then when Adalind fled to meet Renard, obviously because she was confused and probably didn't feel safe, she suddenly was deemed deluded and needed to be separated from her child? Great job, writers. Way to conjure up tension between characters from nothing. And when Renard was pulled into the mix, he became a co-conspirator, despite Nick having talked to him and knowing Renard's role in the Resistance. Kelly really jumped to conclusions about Renard's character. All this happened just because Adalind fled to meet a person she knew from before? Why did Kelly so suddenly become deaf to the "let's talk to her and explain the situation" option? Her going into crisis mode like the whole plan was falling apart was kind of over-the-top. Like she said: "thinking is going to get in the way."

The sunglasses part at the beginning felt really weird. It was like the writers only recently realized that they have never explained how Wesen recognize Grimms, and they quickly had to add it into the episode. Luckily I tolerated the explanation because it was so sudden and absurd, like they were poking fun of the way the show sometimes handles certain plot twists. If they had built up to the revelation with Nick doing research and fighting Wesen, only to realize an episode later that he can hide behind sunglasses like a gentle version of Blade, then I would have facepalmed myself into a concussion.
More+
Flag
  • You have to keep in mind, Kelly did not know who Adalind was. She did not know that this woman was the same one who: put Juliette into a coma, tried to kill Marie (her sister) and Nick, and had done other things (not to mention that a fight with Adalind's mother Catherine led to Catherine "impaling herself" as Kelly put it). Kelly refused to even ask Adalind's name and she just thought that this was another mission for her to keep the kid safe. If she had at least known Adalind's name then maybe she would not have brought her to Portland. She also did not know that Renard was the Royal that was in Portland and that he was Nick's boss. Adalind freaked out and there was a lot of yelling.
    • Adalind had started to feel at least a little safe with Kelly, even handing over monster baby so she could get a nap in. Once she realized Kelly was Nick's mamma, she got freaked out and felt she had to leave. Do you honestly think Kelly would want the kid in the hands of a part Royal, part Zauberbiest (male Hexenbeist), especially after she had just stressed the importance of the child having a somewhat normal childhood away from both the Resistance and the Royals?
  • Mamma Grimm is more old school and she has a lot of baggage (she had to give up her son, her husband was killed along with a friend, her sister is now dead. While Nick got the normal childhood, she ended up becoming more intense especially since once Nick was gone there was nothing really holding her back, thus her more intense/not trusting attitude. I mean think about it, she even said that the pilots were not allowed to radio anyone and that she was in charge because she did not trust anyone when she was not close enough to kill them. Over the years whether she is fighting or doing something else, she is trained to make split decisions.
  • Nick on the other hand is more calm and does not necessarily need to kill or attack everyone. He is more level headed. He is a cop among other things and thus his idea to talk to Renard (especially since he kind of knows this guy and he had covered up for Nick in that unintentional murder) is more understandable. Kelly does not trust the Royals and since Renard is part Royal she is going to be more unlikely to trust him. Not that Nick fully trusts him but sometimes it is better to keep someone close so you can watch when they are going to turn on you then have no information.
More +
Flag
A very good episode and a daring one at that. First off, finally an explanation to how Wesen see Grimms. The eyes. Simple and elegant, as in "the eyes are the windows to the soul". Second, probably the first Grimm episode were the interweaving storylines were driven by the women of the series -- Kelly, Adalind, Juliet, Rosalee, and yes, even the yet unnamed baby and the late Aunt Marie. By the way, the flashback brings to mind again the question of what happened to the Burkhardts that made it necessary for Nick to go into hiding with his Aunt Marie, the death of Nick's Dad and Kelly's best friend, and for Kelly to disappear. Loved the part where Juliet geeks out and starts talking about Carl Jung and Synchronicity, the title of the episode. That she loves and trusts Nick may be one key reason she can deal with the world of the Wesen but she can't deny the fact that a big part of her is enthralled by it all. She's a scientist and finding out about the Wesen world opened up a whole new reality for her. It akin to an astrophysicist finding proof positive of life in other worlds. She now knows that the postulated "Chimera" trait she researched about in Season One really does exist. Finally, this episode is probably quite daring in that the writers will have to work extra hard to make sure that the succeeding episodes make the events in this one remain within the bounds of plausibility. Grimm has always traversed that grey area between biology and supernatural mysticism but spent most of its time in speculative biology. With Synchronicity, they're now moving into that dangerous region of fate and the role of the supernatural in an individual's destiny and if they don't play it right, can make this entire episode become an exercise in Deus Ex Machina.
More+
Flag
Good episode.
I thought the opening sequence with Meisner was excellent.
I also liked the idea that the writers finally came up with about how Wesen know he's a Grimm. So, some sort of contacts might be in order to make things easier from now on?

I was slightly confused about the flight, surely the distance from Austria to Portland is quite a lot less than to Brazil? I guess they might have been intending to re-fuel somewhere.

Ha ha, excellent idea Momma Grimm, nobody will ever think about looking for Adalind in Portland. Whoops!

So, I'm assuming that Nick and Juliette will soon be adopting. Or maybe, Monrosalee would be less obvious?
Flag
Staff
Ha ha, excellent idea Momma Grimm, nobody will ever think about looking for Adalind in Portland. Whoops!

I totally had this thought too, lol. Maybe if she had realized who Adalind actually was she wouldn't have taken her there?
Flag
I'm really looking forward to Monroe and Rosalee getting married. The wedding should definitely prove interesting. Hopefully Nick wearing sunglasses helps!
I loved that Nick's mom came back to Portland with Adalind in tow! I don't really like Adalind, but I like her when she's reacting to Nick the Grimm!

Flag
Having the best man wear sunglasses might be a little inconspicuous. Probably they'll say that Nick recently had eye surgery.

I'd be more concerned that Papa Monroe is going to bust a gut. Or anyone that has heard about the legend of Nick Burkhardt in Portland. It's not like his identity is a secret among Portland's Wesen population.
Flag
I think I'm perplexed as to how the show made me like and/or care about Adalind in anyway, lol! I also think that Mamma Grimm can pop over anytime, it's always a fun ride. I'm happy that it was Hank who pondered the age old question of, how does anyone know you're a Grimm? Love MonRosalie planning their wedding. OH, and MAN OH MAN OH MAN am I heartbroken that Meisner has gone into hiding. (at least he didn't die like poor Sabastian) I miss that scrumptious karate kicking guy already. Good episode.

ps--isn't it TOTALLY Grimm, to drop Adalind in Nick's livingroom after weeks of crazy survival abroad? LOLOLOL Love this show.
Flag
I thought that this was a great episode! They finally explained how wesen can see nick as a grimm. I'm not sure how in the heck he is supposed to wear glasses at night - but I guess on step at a time huh? I thought the kiss adalind got was sweet I hope he comes back in the picture. Now that Juliette has become alot less whiny, I hope that her and Nick get married. Her character arc has improved 100%. Speaking of that adalind has come a long way too. All that being said, my favorite part of this episode was the living room scene. It was really authentic to the characters and where they are now versus where they were in season 1. Excited to see the rest of the season!!
Flag
  • Oh, the laughter I got from this episode was wonderful, especially from Mama Grimm. Between refusing to trust anyone when she was not close enough to kill them, to the realization that the woman she has been transporting to safety and to her son is the same woman who tried to kill Aunt Marie (her sister), that her son took her powers (and Nick finding out she has them back), and realizing that luckily Adalind does not know that Mamma Grimm killed her mother (or as Nick's mom puts it: For the record I didn't kill her, she impaled herself). Towards the end when Nick asked his mother if she killed the driver of the truck she stole, and her saying "no why would you ask that?" and Nick's response of "Just checking." was hilarious, along with him trying to convince her to let him handle trying to get Adalind and the baby to go back with them instead of letting his mother go get the baby because Nick figured that they would need to use more finesse was wonderful. He really knows his mother well despite the fact that he spent half of his child with his Aunt Marie.
  • Well, I was mostly right. Someone asked how Wesen knew Nick was a Grimm. My response was that when they went into a lesser woge, then they realized that he could see them. Apparently, when they are in a lesser woge, they can see their innermost Wesen selves in his eyes which turn into an "infinite darkness." If MonRosalee's wedding is at night, then how is Nick supposed to wear glasses and not look stupid (granted even in the daylight if he wore glasses he would look odd, but even odder at night. Maybe he can fake blindness just for the wedding and Monroe can ask his parents and any other wedding guests who know Nick to keep quiet and say he is blind?
  • Not really thrilled with Rosalee's wedding dress (maybe if she did want her grandmother's dress for the something old, than she could have found a good seamstress and maybe had some alterations done to update it a little so it could be both a something old and something new.
  • It looks like both Nick and Juliette are hearing wedding bells because they both seemed to have wedding on the brain.
  • It was kind of nice to see Juliette worry about the possible demon baby despite everything Adalind has done to her, Nick and Hank among other's.
  • It might not be easy to get that kid away from Renard. Whether or not he is actually the baby's father or if she has no idea and she just said that to him so he would be more inclined to protect the kid I don't know.
  • Interesting that Mama Grimm does not want the kid to go to the Royals OR the Resistance because she believes that if the kid has a normal childhood as possible than it is more likely to do good instead of harm.
  • Hopefully we see Meisner again soon. I mean he can kick butt, be sweet and protective, he is a damn good fighter, plus he is cute.
More+
Flag
I hope they name the baby Rosemary.
Flag
Maybe we should start a poll for baby names? Seriously all those days in the forest without TV/wifi Adalind & hot guy couldn't think of baby names?
Flag
Oh and Adalind's mum was called Catherine... Since they showed her in this ep perhaps that is Adalind's choice?
Flag
Lol too bad NBC kept showing teasers for Rosemary's Baby last night.
Flag
I had just hit submit for my comment and the ad came on for Rosemary's Baby - freaked me out so much I didn't know if I should take a crucifix to bed...and that got me thinking of The Exorcist...
Flag
It would be great if they can do that; but I think Ira Levin would sue for copyrights.
Flag
You can't copyright a female name.
Flag
but you can a character in a novel,
Flag
Follow this Show
Members