A Grimm Community
Friday 8:00 PM on NBC (Returning Fall 2016)

On the surface, "The Good Soldier" was another episode of Grimm featuring another Wesen to learn factoids about while seeking out the connection between its trail of corpses—but underneath, the episode had a surprising amount of depth. Nothing crazy, but after two weeks of tales that would've been right at home in Season 1 or late Season 2, I'm so starved for layers and complications that I'll take it. The tale of Frankie and the Manticore wasn't just a revenge story—in fact, it wasn't really about vengeance at all. It was about forgiveness. The colonel's campaign against his former subordinates was his way of trying to right his own wrongs from years before. He was seeking Frankie's forgiveness for contributing to the cover-up of her rape in the military. 

Rosalee also got in on the forgiveness action, by visiting her mother and sister for the first time in seven years. Apparently, back when Rosalee was on all the drugs, she was kind of a trainwreck and missed her father's funeral because she was in jail. I can see where that one would inspire someone to hold a grudge, but Rosalee's sister was a little ridiculous. Shove the self-righteousness, girl boo.

All told, however, there just isn't much else to say. "The Good Soldier" followed a clearly defined path, complete with a misleading clue or two, and now that most of her assailants are dead or sorry, Frankie is going to be just fine because I guess that's how severe emotional and physical trauma works. 

It's a weakness found in pretty much every TV show ever, so I'm not trying to pick on Grimm here. It's just that when you only have so much time to tell a story, and that story overwhelmingly revolves around a one-off guest character who will never be seen again once viewers' one-time sighting is through, something is lost in the presentation. Frankie probably isn't going to go off and live happily ever after just because of her experience in Portland. It'll probably help, certainly, knowing that at least one of her attackers was plagued with guilt and that the man she turned to for help realized that he didn't really help at all. To then turn around at the end of the episode and say BYE FRANKIE and sit back all satisfied with how awesome her life will now be is, in a way, undermining the severity of her backstory, and as a whole, Grimm's treatment of it as just another case-of-the-week showcased a missed opportunity to explore the problems faced by women in the military—including higher rates of sexual assault. 

"The Good Soldier" was a bit of a downer for everyone. Rosalee was ultimately forgiven by her family and welcomed back. Monroe got the "hurt her and we'll kill you speech" (it's a classic) and surprisingly, the Blutbad prejudice was kept to a minimum. Their journey was traumatic like early-to-mid-'90s sisterhood movies: affirming in the end, but emotionally wringing. I'm looking at you, Boys on the Side

MEANWHILE, IN VIENNA...

Adalind levitated a coffee cup and blew out every bulb in the cafe. Renard seemed to think that meant her powers were coming back. Fingers crossed! 

AND BACK IN PORTLANDIA...

Juliette helped again, no frying pans required this time. Huzzah. 

Mostly, I'm just excited for Adalind's potential re-powering. The Vienna side of things has been stalled for awhile now, just waiting for her to push out that freaking kid, and Grimm still hasn't reclaimed the intense focus it boasted in the first half of the season—though "The Good Soldier" was certainly the closest we've come so far.

ALL ABOARD AUNT MARIE'S BOOKMOBILE OF CRAZY

– "What did you shoplift?" "A watch." "Really?  What kind?" The delight on Monroe's face.

– What was the point of making Frankie a Wesen? 

– Okay, the Manticore fight was pretty badass. 

What did you think of "The Good Soldier"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/20/2016

Season 5 : Episode 22

91 Comments
Comments (91)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
so sad coz i cant watch this drama .. because i'm outsite from US.. i'm malaysian
Flag
I'm figuring that having Kirk Acevedo in the episode was some sort of contract fulfillment. Having his character killed off in the first 5 minutes was a complete waste of his talent.
Flag
I could care less about Adalind's storyline. The show could kill her character off and not miss a beat. During this episode, that's three minutes that could have been spent getting Renard and Juliette a bit more to do.
Flag
"What was the point of making Frankie a Wesen?"...to give the special effect people something else to do? I dunno, I was totally waiting for a "What the hell are you talking about? What the hell is a Grimm?", reply. We'll choose to ignore the fact that from the onset, if she were the badass wessen that killed Kirk Acevedo, it'd take a whole lot more than 4 guys to subdue and rape her.

I kinda thought that the problem of sexual assault in the military was touched on well, without beating you over the head with it. Going hand in hand with that was the lack of accountability for crimes committed over there and ridiculous autonomy given to private contractors...but, I digress.

Anybody else thinking that the producers are now saying, "Man, we should have played with the timeline a little more cause this pregnancy is taking forEVER! We should have flashed a 'Two Months Later' banner 3 episodes ago"?

I probably didn't enjoy this episode more than I should have but mostly because since returning from break, this is the third "wessen of the week" crimes with little else advancing anywhere else. There have been opportunities a plenty, with Juliette's friend, Rosalee's family, Hank exploring a human/wessen inter-species relationship...but alas, all were quickly resolved and done away with. {sigh}
More+
Flag
Fridge-logic time...

So, the first time Nick sees Frankie, in person, is when he's arresting her. At the time, she is confronting one of her rapists. She's clearly upset, and is trying to get him to confess. He's just sitting in his car, smug as can be. Then the cops show up, and arrest her. While her rapist sits in his car, smiling and blowing her little kisses.

Why wasn't she woge'd already?

I know why the writers didn't want her to be woge'd already. I don't care. It doesn't make sense from an in-universe perspective. Wesen woge when they are upset (at least to the point where Nick can see it, and Nick was right there). If there was ever an occasion for Frankie to be upset, it was right then.
Flag
The point of making Frankie a Wesen was that if she wasn't, she wouldn't have a convenient way of proving she wasn't a Manticore and Nick wouldn't have been satisfied that she wasn't until he shot her in the leg and she didn't woge.
Flag
There HAS to be some explanation (I hope) on why everyone ever encountered is a freaking Wesen. Like maybe the writers could write a loophole saying that Grimm's unknowingly draw Wesen to them by some kinda unexplainable mumbo-jumbo or pheromones or something. No stealsies!
Flag
I just always assumed it was mostly a joke about Portland. Weirdos!

That said, I'm ready for some human villains. At this point, having the criminal NOT be wesen would be pulling the rug out a little bit.
Flag
Monroe was so adorably confused when Rosalee's sister said the "break my little sister's heart and I'll kill you" thing xD
Flag
BOOORING.

I'm done with this show (again). These case of the week episodes are so boring, and why do they always have to have a new species of wesen? It doesn't make any sense. How many species are there? How big is the wesen population in Portland? Are all crimes in the entire world committed by wesen, or is that just how it is in Portland.

This show is in many ways like Reaper. The premise of the show is really bad, but a good cast makes the show watchable. Unfortunately it's just barely watchable.

I would prefer if they just cancel the show and give the slot to something new.
Flag
I love how people say "how big is the wesen population in Portland?" Do you know how many people live in Portland? Around 587,000, and the greater Portland area has almost 3 million. How many Wesen have we seen, all-told, since the show began? I'm not sure, but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say about 100-150. I could be completely off, but even if I'm lowballing it, it's nowhere near 587,000. Out of all the crimes happening in Portland, we're seeing the ones involving Wesen. Why? Cause if they showed us the non-Wesen ones, the show would be Law and Order: Portland, or CSI:Portland, or "Name Your Generic Cop Show Here": Portland.

Don't like the show? Fine. Stop watching it. I don't see why that's such a hard thing for people to do. How is it easier to keep watching a show you don't like? Is it just so you can come onto a forum such as this and complain about it?
Flag
My understanding on this note was that Portland had become something of a gathering place for Wesen over the years. Look at how many have been shown to be living in town for generations, after all! Renard wouldn't have chosen to be in charge of Portland law enforcement at that level if there wasn't a persistent Wesen population to keep out of the public eye (damage control) and, by extension, a relatively heavy presence of Resistance candidates.

I'm pretty sure they did some hand-waving about this early in the first season, but even so, I wouldn't be shocked if this was leading to some important plot point within the mythology of the series.
Flag
"How many Wesen have we seen, all-told, since the show began? [...] about 100-150 [...] it's nowhere near 587,000"

This makes as much sense as saying that since we have only seen about 300 humans on the show, there's nowhere near 587000 humans in Portland.

"Out of all the crimes happening in Portland, we're seeing the ones involving Wesen."

So we're supposed to believe that Nick and Hank work a lot more cases than the ones we see? How many more? Suppose that what we see is only 1/20 of their cases, and that there are no wesen in any of the other ones. Let's say that 1/3 of the people they interact with in the cases we see are wesen (sometimes it's only one, but sometimes they're all wesen). Then these numbers still suggest a wesen population of about 1/60*587000 = roughly 10000.

But Nick and Hank obviously can't be working 400 murder cases a year. So we should expect the wesen population to be much larger than 1/60.

"Don't like the show? Fine. Stop watching it. I don't see why that's such a hard thing for people to do. How is it easier to keep watching a show you don't like? Is it just so you can come onto a forum such as this and complain about it?"

This type of comment always irritates me. If you can't handle negative comments about a bad TV show, then maybe you should stay away from the forums.
More +
Flag
"This makes as much sense as saying that since we have only seen about 300 humans on the show, there's nowhere near 587000 humans in Portland."

No, it really doesn't. Your comment asked if all the crimes committed in Portland were by Wesen, as they always show new Wesen. My comment said, out of such a large population in a city, showing 100 Wesen does not mean that all the crimes are committed by Wesen, or that there is even a majority of Wesen in Portland. Nothing we have seen so far says that there is.

"Then these numbers still suggest a wesen population of about 1/60*587000 = roughly 10000."

Your point is? 10,000 Wesen compared to 577,000 humans. That's still not a lot.

"This type of comment always irritates me. If you can't handle negative comments about a bad TV show, then maybe you should stay away from the forums."

I'm sorry that this type of comment irritates you, but it's true. You mentioned that the show is boring. You mentioned that you're done with the show (again, for that matter!) You mention that the show is barely watchable and that it should be canceled. So why the hell are you watching it?? Seriously! If the show bothers you that much, why waste your time watching it? And then, why waste your time going to a forum dedicated to that show to just complain about it, about how bad it is, how it should be cancelled, how it's boring, and how you're giving up on it again?

Constructive criticism is one thing. Outright griping and bitching? That's completely different.
More +
Flag
Thought the manticore was a chimera at first. The manticore fight scene was good.
Flag
I just want them to get back to the Zombie-Nick plotline proper.
Flag
I liked this episode more than the past two, it was dark, relevant and the manticore fight at the end was awesome!

Frankie was tragic, inspiring and infuriating all at the same time. Here she's been dealt a horrific blow that affects so many women, not just in the armed forces, but everywhere. She reports it and is given no justice. She then finishes her service, hurting herself to deal with the pain, and then confronts each of her attackers with brutal honesty and perseverance. And what happens, she's arrested for doing the one thing that no one would truly blame her for doing, but that she's not guilty of. I really wish she had been a normal human, because that would've really been an inspired ending to a truly amazing and tragic story. And she finally does get her justice, a confession from one of her attackers. But the world will never be completely alright for her, but it will be better than it has been since 2010.

On the other hand, the wife of the attacker was more evil than her husband.

Rosalee's mother is sweet, but her sister definitely needs that chip on her shoulder to be sanded down...lots.

I wanted some real Nick/Grimm action, but that Manticore fight will have to do.

Renard needs to warn Nick about Adalind, once she returns to Portland, Nick's life will become very dificult if he doesn't.
More+
Flag
I agree on all fronts
Flag
My tolerance for this show and the weekly Wessen hunt is waning!
Flag
The resolution with Frankie bugged me. I felt like there could have been something more there. But I'm unsure as to what unless they could make her a recurring guest somehow.

Another thing that bugged me is how Nick & Hank _knew_ that the McCabe gang were being targeted but two more murders happened right under their noses. It seems to me they would be getting grilled pretty thoroughly about that in any normal police force.
Flag
Let me begin with my annoyances. (And I am a Grimm fan). Why the hell did Frankie have to be vessen? A plain old homo sapien female gang-raped by "Manticores" would have been just as horrible infuriating. And we could have had a wonderfully convoluted discussion between the victim and NIck and a little lesson in institutionalized specie-ism ... don''t jump to conclusions.

Second, what the hell was the point of the Adelind scenes. It was nothing but a few minutes stolen from this episode. It doesn't get viewers all lathered up because they haven't told us what the stakes are.

The actress who played Frankie was great but the character should have been human. The notion of reconciliation and closure - it just happened to fast.

MonRosalee on the other hand, played it almost perfectly. The sis was a bit of a cliche but they can fix that in later episodes.

They still can't get the rhythm quite right and I'm sure if it's the writers, the directors, or the producers. Grimm needs a really strong "mission" statement, where are we going from here?

More+
Flag
I think they made Frankie a vessen because it was a quick and easy way to prove that she was not a Manticore. If she was a regular human it would have been a much longer conversation. "You're a vessen." "What's a vessen?" "You are." "No, I'm not." "No really, you are." "No, I really have no idea what you're talking about."...

I skipped over the Adelind scenes. I find her annoying and really don't care if something bad happens to her.

I agree about Rosalee's sister. I wanted to smack her. Even after her "If you hurt her I'll kill you." line.
Flag
"Okay, the Manticore fight was pretty badass."

And aren't we here to watch Nick be badass? Or Renard be badass? Or Juliette be badass with a frying pan? Or heck, Wu be badass? What's the point of watching two characters we're never going to see again be badass?

Flag
"What was the point of making Frankie a Wesen?"

Another problem is, why make Jackie a Steinhalder? When these Wesen are introduced, we're typically given one or two unique traits. but then when they show up later, they're pretty "generic Wesen." Same with Rosalee and her family. Aren't Fuchsbau supposed to have some kind of unique characteristic or two? Deetta might as well have been a Blutbad. Yeah, I know genetically she has to be a Fuchsbau, but if Fuchsbau act like Blutbad and Blutbad act like Fuchsbau... what's the point of having Fuchsbau?
Flag
Oh my Grimm!! Every episode seems to be a filler. The rosalie and monroe subplots seem so forced and repetitive week after week. We get it, rosalie was a druggie/bad and monroe is a supportive/understanding blutbad boyfriend. Honestly I want to see more of adalind, the royals and the rebellion. And no grimm writers, little here and there tid bits are not even worth it. For example, the adalind scene was interesting but did we really need a whole scene with the captain and that dude giving us an exact rehashing of what we saw? Oh well im still gonna watch next week, hoping for more time in Vienna.
Flag
Best part of this episode was the scorpion fight at the end, rest of it was pretty mediocre. Too many pointless side plots like Rosalee's family issues (YAWN) and the ongoing Adalind arc, can she just have the baby already and get her ass back to Portland so she can be relevant again. Also having Juliette in the one scene was great too, when it comes to Juliette less is definitely better.
Flag
Meh. This was a average episode with very serious subject matter. I did like the manticore fight special effects but the writing on this episode could have been so much better. I also agree with MaryAnn that the subject needs more than a one hour show to deal with it.
Other than that the overall plot barely moved. We learned that Adalind's powers are coming back. That's it. If I am going to invest an hour of my time to watch a show, I would expect the plot to move more. If I was reading a book and that is all that happened in an hour of reading ,I would be pissed and probably toss the book. In fact, it is the main reason I stopped reading "A Game of Thrones".
Flag
I liked this episode and those a-holes deserved what they got, I wasn't expecting the CO to be the killer that through me which I loved. Is it just me or is Adeline maybe getting stronger than she was before and it might be something to do with the baby. I was confused that Grimm just openly told Frankie he was a Grimm I know that they were now certain that it was a vesen kill and that Frankie was definatly involved and had a pretty strong motive due to the rape but still he many should have provoked an emotional response from her to show her vesen first. Otherwise it was great.
Flag
Making Frankie a Wessen just plugged the hole of Nick saying "We know you're a Wessen" and her not knowing wth he was talking about or asking about it in public or whatever.

So it was a "phew, good at least I didn't spill the beans to a civilian"
Flag
This episode was a solid but average episode. I was grateful for the misdirection regarding the killer as it added to the enjoyment.

I do think that Frankie should have reacted a bit more violently to Nick's confession to being a Grimm. And MaryAnn is right, there was no reason For Frankie to even be a Wesen. In fact, it might have been a better story if she weren't.

They really need to figure out how to cut to the other story-lines better. The Vienna but was so short, just show it all at once instead of bouncing around. Maybe even have it at the start, before the title credits role and don't come back to it.
Flag
Ha, the great irony and sarcasm in the review:
"Frankie is going to be just fine because I guess that's how severe emotional and physical trauma works."
Love it :D

Flag
- I'm actually not looking forward to Adalind getting her powers back. It seems to me that Adalind's badassness is inversely proportional to how many powers she has... she was at her most badass when she had everything plotted to make Nick and Sean as miserable as possible, while being safely ensconced in jail. She had no powers at all then, but she'd managed to wrap everybody around her little finger. But then, she became obsessed with getting her powers back... and she forgot how to be badass altogether, even going so far as to wimper at having to touch a dead body. She's more like a victim now. No badassery left.

- I think the point of making Frankie a Wesen was just to save time in the plot. If she hadn't shown definitively that she was not a Manticore, Nick and Hank would have continued interrogating her as if she were. And we can't have that. I suppose I agree with it from the standpoint of not having the airtime to spare, but... yeah. Sometimes, I just want to see them go down the wrong path for more than 15 seconds.

(Actually, that would have been interesting, if Nick had said, "we know what you are. I'm a Grimm, and you're a Manticore..." and she truly had no idea what he was talking about. But it would also have been kind of painful to watch.)

And, yeah, everybody's Wesen. Except most of the rapists/murder victims in this episode.

- Regarding "everything's ok..." I think they actually did as well as anybody could, in a one-shot, of showing that it's not that simple. The look on her face as she's leaving... kind of like, "Ok. I guess... that's it. This is as good as it's ever going to get. I think I can live with this."

==

My overall feeling about this episode... yeah, it was a bit of a downer. And while I felt that the MonRosalee part was exceedingly well-done and even added some character depth to Rosalee and not just in relation to Monroe, and I did have tears in my eyes a couple of times... by the end of the episode, I'd actually completely forgotten that there was a MonRosalee plot in there, and I think that may just be because of the way the show was put together. The Manticore storyline completely dominated the second half of the episode. Not that it was a bad storyline or anything; I just wish the editing in of the MonRosalee plot had been a little more spaced out. Actually, I wish they'd finished with the final Rosalee scene, instead of putting it closer to the 35-minute mark.
More+
Flag
This felt a lot like an episode of NCIS
Flag
I sort of feel like they should split the DVD of this show up into the mythology episodes and the case of the week ones so maybe we can judge the case of the week ones more fairly. I swear to God this was a Law & Order episode like ten years ago. I mean I spent a good ten minutes looking at Frankie swearing she had done this role before and then it dawning on me that oh that's Andrea from Breaking Bad. But still I know this story and I'm sure many of you do too.
Flag
Rosalee is adorable.
Flag
It felt more filler than anything. But at least the forcing us to try to like Juliette took a backseat this episode, because that is starting to become grating. The Manticores were interesting.

Personally I would have rather Monroe and Rosalee not skip the 4 hour drive from Portland to Medford and we could have had an adorable Monroe and Rosalee road trip. I think that would have been more fun then her and her family.
Flag
Meh, episode felt like filler, and while I'm all for character growth the Rosalee/Monroe stories are becoming repetitive i.e. Rosalee did something horrible in her past. Monroe: I still love you. - wash, rinse, repeat.

I love these characters, but how about finding something out about Rosalee that Monroe had some reservations about. How about him not being the most perfect wesen/boyfriend/best friend on the planet for once.

Part of me wanted him to grab that steak out of Deeta's hand gobble it down and then jump on the table woge out and start howling at the moon.
Rosalee: And that's why I specifically told you he's a vegetarian.

But I digress. You know before the scorpion tail scene, I thought it was going to turn out that it was a human doing the killing to protect his secret, and that Nick was going to have to protect a wesen for once. But as it stands there was no need for Frankie to be Wesen at all.

Flag
"And that's why I specifically told you he's a vegetarian." Oh yes, that would have been a great line!
Flag
- I, too, was waiting for Frankie to be all "WTF?" when accused of being a Manticore...nope, not only was she Wesen, but she had the best alibi of all, she woged. At that point I remembered that Steinadlers are also exceptional soldiers due to their fierce loyalty. Lest we forget Nick almost had a Steinadler for an uncle.

- It seems like Juliette is now becoming interchangeable with Monroe and Rosalee...whoever doesn't get the subplot only shows up to help in Aunt Marie's trailer.

- Second week in a row with not enough Renard. Also, I know he's only half-Zauberbiest, but since he can woge, shouldn't he at least have some limited control over magic?

- Apparently, when a hexenbiest's baby kicks, the entire local power grid feels it. Next time my power goes out, I just going to assume a local pregnant witch is having contractions. Congratulations to Adalind on her new addition...that is, the return of her powers.

- I understand that Oregon is still very much a frontier state, but is it just me, or does this show depict everywhere that isn't downtown Portland as 3 miles east of the middle of nowhere?

- Maybe it's just my own upbringing influencing me, but the Calverts just seemed really...Jewish. I mean, essentially, one sister's a dentist, one's a pharmacist (as were their late father and brother)... manipulation through guilt...plus they're members of a race stereotypically known for shady business dealings...and Gloria just physically resembled so many of my elderly female family members, I would've bet money she smells like Chanel No. 5 and brisket. I mean, they're not as blatant as the Ferengi or Toydarians (as far as sci-fi Judaism metaphors go), but maybe I'm just overly sensitive to these matters. Plus, with Monroe's family being what Monroe calls "old school" (i.e. not wieder, and very, VERY German)...it just worries me.
More+
Flag
I take back what I said earlier about them never referring to anything in Portland. I just spoke with my brother, who has lived in Portland, and he said they make real references all the time. All the streets they name, for example, are real Portland streets.

And apparently they do film in Portland, especially in Forest Park (at least, that was my brother's impression).

(Actually, he said it's kind of distracting. Constantly having the reaction, "Hey, I've been there! There are no Wesen there!" :) He said it takes him out of the story.)

I do still have a small problem, though... I can't remember ever seeing a bicyclist on this show! Even Monroe drives, and if there was ever a character that would be part of the huge bicycling-for-transportation culture of Portland, it would be Monroe. I suppose I can see him driving if it were for some distance, or if he needed to transport a clock safely, but for most purposes, I would think he would bike. It is Portland, after all... one of the best cities for biking in the US. Biking in Portland is almost like walking in New York... a perfectly-accepted mode of transportation, with an infrastructure that fully supports it.
More +
Flag
What - you're saying the Ferengi were Jewish? Maybe you're overdoing the stereotyping. Just a tad.

"not wieder"
- meaning what?
Flag
The comparison between Jews and Ferengis is not a new idea, nor is it mine. Critics have long pointed out the similarities between Ferengi personality traits and negative Jewish stereotypes, their physical resemblance to Nazi caricatures of Jews, and comparisons between the 285 Ferengi Rules of Acquisition and the 613 Mitzvot. But I digress.
Flag
Re: ""not wieder" - meaning what?"

Monroe belongs to a movement called "Wieder Wesen." Full explanation here:
Wieder Wesen - Grimm wikia
Flag
I'm still waiting for them to even mention anything that Portland, the city, is actually known for. To tourists, at least. Not counting natural landmarks, since they HAVE actually mentioned those a couple times (the Willamette, Council Crest, etc.) But things about the city.

Like the light rail. The Rose Quarter. The Rose Garden. The University. Powell's. You'd think these people don't really know Portland at all, except by reputation.
Flag
The one thing that really irritated me was when they killed off Kirk Acevedo in the first 5 minutes. Why cast an actor like that and then kill him off immediatly? That to me seemed like a waste of talent.
Flag
I think they did it to throw us off. When I first saw him I immediately thought, "he's the bad guy." Having him killed off right away was a surprising little twist.
Flag
It was great to see Monrosalee getting their own non Grimm-related story, rather than just being there to provide potions or read the journals. More of this please!

It does seem that the writers feel that 'helping Nick and Hank read the journals' is a good way to bring in characters they don't know what to do with. This week it was Juliette's turn.
Other than the scene with Adalind, this was very much a filler episode, but I thought it was a bit different and enjoyed it. It made a nice change for there to be some characters that weren't Wesen and I didn't expect Frankie to be one; in some ways, I think it would have been better if she hadn't been. But like the episode a couple of weeks ago, Nick didn't actually seem to have any effect on anything that happened. Maybe the writers are channelling Raiders of the Lost Ark?
Flag
I really liked the story with soldiers and manticores but i think I would like to see Nick and the gang investigate a case when they think it's a wesen situation and it turns out to be a regular human that's the killer. Other than the wesen of the week part felt like a filler.
Flag
So, does Nick just have a second sense about who are Wesen even without having to see them now? Because when he started to tell Frankie that he was a Grimm without ever having evidence that she was, indeed, a Wesen, I was waiting for her to call him craaaaazy! And I was like, oh boy, you are in such big trouble, Nicky. But then she ended up actually being Wesen, but just the wrong kind? It was all very... convenient.

Other than that episode, I rather enjoyed it. The Manticore CGI was... god awful. Some of the worse Wesen work I've seen in a while, to be honest, but I just rolled my eyes and went with it. The Rosalee/Monroe stuff felt... forced. The Calvert family drama may have been mentioned before in the past, but this just seemed to have come out of nowhere. I never remember her mentioning a sister, and like she said, she's the only one that showed up to handle her brother's affairs, so who were they to judge? It was all very strange.

And when the sister was threatening Monroe? Again, another eye roll moment. I'm sure it was supposed to be cute, but I was just like, "Yeah, whatever, just be glad he's a vegetarian, missy."

I didn't really get Juliette's purpose in the episode. I dunno. Maybe I'm just not used to seeing her in the trailer still, but it felt very tacked on. "Oh, crap, we forgot Juliette - HERE YOU GO. YOU GET TO FIGURE OUT WHO IT IS." You'd think that after having this trailer for three years, Nick would have a better idea than Juliette on where to look for these creatures. I also miss the days that Nick would draw out the Wesen. That was always cool.

Hm... the actress that played Frankie was really good, and that entire storyline was surprisingly dark. So, A+ there.

I miss Nick going zombie nuts already. Two episodes without something. Give us more! Hell, give us more mythology in general. There's still so many dangling story threads that we need to find out about, and sometimes I just get really nervous that they've completely forgotten about them. That's not a good feeling to have.

And would it have killed Renard to warn Nick that hormonal Adalind is getting her powers back? Does he even know she's pregnant? Sigh. Renard. I don't even know what to do with you.
More+
Flag
So-so is the right feeling. Nothing wrong with the episode. Last I saw the actress she of course was being murdered by Todd. I guess it was weird that for like forty eight minutes Hank and Nick were investigating a regular old homicide. It was pleasant to see a Rosalee and Monroe story (and I'm glad we are going with Monroe's family having the Wesen prejudice and perhaps the humor angle). But I guess it was just a mid season episode.

I did think it might make sense for Renard to warn Nick at least that A dalind was getting her powers back. I mean he didn't have to tell him anything else and she's not going to be traveling anytime soon.
Flag
So-so episode. Another one where Nick doesn't really doesn't do anything. But they pulled it out at the end with the double-double-twist. And a nice performance from actor Dennis Adkins, one of those Grimm actors who has only other appeared on Leverage and/or Nowhere Man (also Portland-filmed shows).
Flag
I really liked tonight's episode. I loved the storyline. In my humble opinion Adiland should just have stayed human. I thought that Rosalee's sister was being really harsh towards her and a little bit selfish. The men that sexually assaulted the soldier got what they deserved. No One is above the law in the military.
Flag
Damn. 49 minutes in and I thought we'd have an episode without Juliette. Just when I thought she was out... they drag her back in. ;)
Flag
Excellent episode. Previews for next week look good too.

Manitocre (D&D Monster Manual, 1st Ed.)

Frequency: Uncommon
No. Appearing: 1 - 4
Armor Class: 4
Move: 12"/18"
Hit Dice: 6 + 3
No of Attacks: 3
Damage/Attack: 1-3/1-3/1-3
Special Attacks: Tail Spike
Intelligence: Low

Lion-colored body, bat-brown wings, human flesh head.

Hearing what this Wesen was brought back the memories of many a night playing D&D. Although I am not sure if we ever encountered a manicure in our adventures.
Flag
You mean manticore, right?
Flag
Yes. Stupid auto-correct.
Flag
All the best non-sequiturs come from predictive text these days ... or maybe D&D does have manicures? Never played ...
Flag
Follow this Show
Members