A Grimm Community
Friday 8:00 PM on NBC (Returning Fall 2016)

Grimm S03E16: "The Show Must Go On"

Sam Witwer and a Wesen carnival and Monrosalee wedding planning and twisted, cheeky use of Warren Zevon's "Werewolves of London"—this episode of Grimm made me so happy, you guys. It didn't even really move the plot very far: Adalind is still running around in the woods, the circus storyline (though refreshingly different from the usual gloomy murder investigations) was wrapped up all neat and pretty, and as much as I want to doodle little hearts around Sam Witwer's face every time it appears on el television, I'm concerned about how Max the Blutbad was basically just a hairier version of Being Human's Aidan the Vampire. Self-control problems? Check. Exploited by his superiors? Check. Struggles with his "true nature?" Check. 

But the unpacking of Being Human's baggage belongs in a Being Human review (speaking of which, we recently got back to those in anticipation of the series finale); in the context of Grimm, "The Show Must Go On" was a strong episode.

So apparently if a Wesen forces himself to woge too often,  the "animal" will start to take over and the person will begin to lose control. Seeing as the carnival's entire premise was built on showcasing "monsters" that looked way too real to be made out of makeup and rubber, with Max the Blutbad as the star attraction, his heavy schedule of forced woging turned him into a ticking time bomb. So when bodies started showing up in the towns the carnival visited, the answer seemed obvious. 

...except not so much. It turned out the ringleader had a bit of a killin' problem of his own, which wasn't that surprising once you considered his complete disregard for the health, both mental and physical, of his employees. Isn't there like, a Wesen OSHA somebody could've called? 

Also: Monroe was initially horrified when Rosalee went backstage to replace the show's injured fuchsbau (and snoop around, of course), but then Rosalee stole the costume she was issued and I think he's over it. GET SOME. 

On the wedding front, Monroe and Rosalee struggled with one of the touchier aspects of planning, even for non-Wesen: crafting a ceremony that makes two very different families happy. Good luck with that. Actually, Monrosalee did enjoy a bit o' luck with that: Both fuchsbau and blutbad wedding traditions involve tying the knot out in the middle of nowhere. Monroe and Rosalee are thinking Mt. Hood, so the family drama should be minimal, though I have personally found that in wedding planning, the family drama is never minimal. 

They also asked Juliette and Nick to be their maid of honor and best man, respectively, because of course they did, and that's all well and good except Nick is having nightmares about beheading Monroe's grandma at the reception when everyone realizes he's a grimm and freak out. Suddenly, family bitching about having to ask your cousin not to wear his Duck Dynasty T-shirt seems so minor. 

MEANWHILE, IN THE SWISS ALPS...

Adalind and Monster Baby and Tall-and-Dreamy ran around in the woods, stole a car, killed some royals, and ran into Poor Sebastien. Poor Sebastien stayed behind to stall the next batch of royals, going out all heroic despite last week's betrayal. (Whatever, they were waterboarding him!)

Also, because I'm shallow, and because all the episode promos flaunted the fact that someone in the resistance was going to bite it this week, I was relieved that it wasn't Tall-and-Dreamy. RIP Sebastien. 

AND BACK IN PORTLAND...

Grimm is taking a wee hiatus until April 4, which gives us lots of time to contemplate the tangle of loose ends this series has gradually presented us with. In the past, I've been concerned about the number of stories Grimm tends to have going at once, and that's especially been the case in this second half of the season, where there have been long stretches of case-of-the-week episodes that don't really do anything to move the plot forward. However, with Adalind's impending return to the States and all of the delicious drama surrounding Monrosalee's wedding, I think the pace is going to be picking up very soon when Grimm returns. 

ALL ABOARD AUNT MARIE'S BOOKMOBILE OF CRAZY

– "Why is it always the blutbad?" Aww, Monroe. 

– From the carnival in Carnivale and the Theatre des Vampires in Interview with the Vampire and probably others that I'm not thinking of at the moment, I just love the whole idea of real monsters/magic/miracles hiding in plain sight under the cover of make-believe. 

– Were Nick's zombie superpowers dealt with? I feel like we haven't seen them in forever, but I also can't recall them ever being formally handled. 

What did you think of "The Show Must Go On"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/20/2016

Season 5 : Episode 22

81 Comments
Comments (81)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I don't know whether the Wu issue has been wrapped up too neatly, or if the tidiness is intentional and we haven't heard the last of it. Personally, I am not at all satisfied with it.

Very confused or forgetful about Hexenbeast powers. I figured the baby for the forced suicide, but perhaps I don't remember everything Adalind was capable of before.
Flag
crap show, crap acting
Flag
and a crap comment! How appropo.
Flag
hey! spell check! apropos!!
Flag
lol
Flag
It may not be award-winning material, but it's a better and a heck of a lot more interesting than most of what's out there...and if you think it's so crappy, why are you commenting on a blog for it?
Flag
They tricked us with the previews because it showed Adelind was supposed to be in their house this episode.
Flag
Being a Wesen must really suck! So in this episode we find out that if they over do the whole Volga thing then they can end up losing their humanity altogether!
There are sure a lot of drawbacks and side effects to being Wesen, SURELY there must be some positives. So glad Adalind is back in the fold, hope she causes some havoc, the show hasn't been the same without her little schemes.
Flag
I spent the better part of the episode trying to figure out what kind of Wesen the ringmaster was, and when we found out he was a Lowen, it made perfect sense. While no one was fighting to the death, he was exploiting other Wesen for fun and profit.

Note to the Grimm writers: this episode is proof that you don't have to introduce a new Wesen in every episode and it'll still be great.
Flag
I really enjoyed this episode of Grimm. I got a little freaked out by the fact the manager was making wesen voge for entertainment and to turn a profit. I also think the manager got what he deserved. I also hope that nothing bad happens to Adalind or her baby.
Flag
I was bored by this episode of Grimm.
The story of the week was tame , the Adalind storyline was the only interesting thing.
Please kill Juliette, how Nick stands her is beyond me. Talk of a suffocating \ smouldering relationship, you cant breathe! I swear she had a job once a vet, but these days she's always hanging around ugh!
Wu is boring as hell.
Flag
The ep kinda zipped by with me din dins but didn't really feel like it ever found its feet. Sam Witwer was truly wasted in this and I'd of thought the producers must of got him in due to his torch role in Being Human suiting this. But no. Adalind's dark side is still there for sure. Just look at the sweet and coy I didn't mean to do it face, after the murder/suicide shooting. Yaha, lady! More like she's testing just what she's got back.
Oh and the end BBQ scene, what another waste. In fact it was about as prematurely fast as Monroe's pants upon seeing Rosalee at the end - don't they know bestiality's a crime?!
A Grimm at the wedding? It'll be like the Vincent Price short in which the guests all transform in supernaturals at once. Muwawawawah!
Flag
So motherhood is turning Adalind into a good person? Say it ain't so, Grimm, she's SO GOOD at being bad! I was kind of hoping to see the baby do something really bad ass, like make the goons' heads explode...

I really enjoyed the premise of this episode, even if the whole carnival thing is a bit overused. I especially loved the end, very nice way to bring out some sweetness and levity.
Flag
It was weird to see Sam Witwer as a "wolf" this episode. Normally used to see him suck blood in Being Human...so was bit weird but still fun to watch.
Rosalee, she can be so brave sometimes...loved how she got in action to help her fellow Wesens...
Wu is back...looking like himself again...that is good right..
I thought Sebastian was very brave, was sad that he died..
Missing Zombie Nick...still don't know what's that all about...so hope they show it someimes again..
Flag
I LIKED zombie Nick; I really hope the zombie isn't dead (pardn the pun) for good. Weddings are NEVER minimal on drama. Mine was 22 years ago this august and still I can't look at the wedding photos of my inlaws without feeling murderous towards them - as one is still living (despite being 90) I am going to have to wait a while yet to look at them I think.

Still, I kept my promise to my late FatherinLaw (FiL) - he said he'd split us up, I gave him my word I'd dance on his grave in red dress first. We're still together and he died. I have arthritis and he was cremated, so little chance of dancing and no grave anyway. Husband pleaded no red dress at the funeral - but I had given my word (I take that extremely seriously).

So what to do? Solution? Fire engine red hair - short term, though I kind of liked it. Shuffling round my kitchen, on my own, to Connie Francis' 'who sorry now'. Word kept, honour upheld - gloating done. Same promise made to MotherinLaw (MiL) back at the same time(my wedding reception), same solution when it's her time I think......

I wish Monroesalee well - they're going to need it, and a stiff couple of whiskies too. Maybe a few bottles actually - and keeping all claws and sharp implements locked up for a few decades. It's the only advice I can give. ;)
More+
Flag
I was going to ask the same question about zombie Nick. That whole sub plot seems to have just disappeared with no explanation.
Flag
One thing I never understood is why Nick hasn't connected more with the Wesen community and define how he sees his role as a Grimm. He did so once in the episode where there was a Grimm imposter. By now you would think that more Wesen would hear about the Grimm who help Wesen by word of mouth.
Flag
I loved the Wesen wedding cake figurines. so cute.

Do Fuchsbaus always look so sexy in their human form? Because so far that's the case.

So, who would've guessed our favorite vampire was also a blutbad? And they should have guessed all Max needed to calm down was some blood...

Check, check, check. The review is right. Sam Wittwer seems to be playing always the same role. The only difference is that this time it was he the werewolf (or sorta).

I think the show really caught the Vienese atmosphere in this episode. It must have put a strain on the show's budget to film it in Europe. I could recognize those trees from my last trip to Austria for sure!

Good Sebastian, throwing himself at the grenade to save the battalion, so to speak. At least he took three or four enemy guys with him.

Nick should've taken Wu to watch the Carnival show, just to relax, you know...

I thought the stoic Austrian resistance guy and Adalind were going to get some romantic action, but no, no time for that.

So the guy died charred to death, and the police managed to rule out murder? What did the report eventually say? Suicide? Died of natural causes? Spontanous combustion?
More+
Flag
I think Nick's zombie powers are that he can tell wesen from human, immediately without anyone else seeing? Other than the nightmares, and incredible strength and health, I don't see much different. Then again, I still have to catch up on the first season. LOL I'm a newbie!
Flag
One thing I did like about this episode (and, hey, it actually was in the Adalind storyline!):

Finally... finally, we see just what "Hexenbiest powers" are supposed to be. I'd complained about this elsewhere, but one of the many reasons I could never get into the Adalind storyline was that it centered around Adalind blindly following orders in order to get her "Hexenbiest powers" back, and yet we'd never seen any Hexenbiest do anything that regular Wesen can't do.

I'd always been confused about why Adalind wanted so badly to be a Hexenbiest again. Or at least, I was confused from the moment I realized that we'd only ever seen Hexenbiests make potions, but that being human had absolutely zero effect on Adalind's ability to make potions, and that Rosalee also makes potions, all the time. I think I realized all of that, at the end of S1, when Human-Adalind poisoned Juliette. And, from that point on, I never understood just what supposedly made Hexenbiests so special, that Adalind would go through so much to be one again.

Finally, I get it. Apparently they're telekinetic. Which is cool. Probably would have come in handy when Catherine Schade was fighting Kelly Burkhardt, but oh well. :) Still cool.

Speaking of the Adalind storyline... apparently, Meisner will be exiting the story soon (at least, that's the plan - Adalind will exit the country, while Meisner will stay there). Hopefully the exit will not be for long. I feel like we're just starting to get to know an interesting character who has a lot to offer the story.

RIP, Sebastian.

And speaking of Sebastian... I wonder who will be Sean's replacement spy. He kind of needs a spy. My money's on Wu. Really! Wu. Here's why...

I think that Wu will have another rude awakening, and quit the force, and the Verrat (or some other group working for the royals) will capitalize on that and recruit him. Sadly, you do not actually need to be full of hate in order to join a hate group... you just need to be scared, and vulnerable. And Wu is definitely that.

I think he will join, and believe in their cause (or at least, the cause they tell him) for a time, until something happens that opens his eyes to the fact that this is wrong. (Hopefully sooner rather than later. Seeing Wu on the wrong side would not be fun. At all. So the sooner he figures things out, the better for us viewers, as long as the timeframe is believable to get him where he needs to be.)

And then he will be well-placed in the Royals organization to serve as a spy.
More+
Flag
Good reference to Wu who made a brief appearance in this episode.

I like your interesting premise about the direction Wu might take in the future. It would certainly put him to the test, get some more prominent use out of the character, and hopefully get him eventually on board with Team Grimm.
Flag
I really don't know what Monroe was thinking. His parent reacted quite poorly to realizing Nick was a Grimm and things almost got fatal with just 2 freak outs.

Imagine an entire wedding of freak outs.

Unless the invitation says:

RSVP: y/n
Oh by the way a very friendly Grimm will be attending. But he's house-trained, I promise. Please be civil, OR ELSE
Flag
Let's not forget that the bride's half of the family are Fushbaus and that it seems that Blutbads don't play well with other Wessen, or former prey for that matter.
Flag
LOL! I would love to see that invitation! In fact, I think it should say exactly that... word-for-word. :)
Flag
It's also another one of those episodes where Nick doesn't do jack-all. Other than letting Monroe and Rosalee know about the carnival, would the story have been any different if Nick wasn't in it?
Flag
RIP Sebastian, you used to speak very softly, but you went out with a bang, loud bangs!..cant wait for April 4th!!
Flag
I was actually kind-of disappointed with this episode. But that's most likely because anything ongoing to be gotten from this episode, was either spoiled for me (the whole "umkippen" exposition scene was shown in a preview on YouTube yesterday), or spoiled in last week's "Next On," or just anticipated (Nick's being asked to be best man). Which means I came away from this episode with next to nothing new.

Worse, the "Next On" preview from last week shows a lot more than what we got in this week's episode, so when it comes to the Adalind storyline, I was expecting a lot more to happen. A lot more. And it was the "more" that I was anticipating, and I didn't get it. Bummer. :(

Also, I'm a little frustrated. The one thing that wasn't neatly tied up in this episode, that should have been tied up in some way, shape, or form, was Nick deciding to have a talk with Monroe about the whole "best man" nightmare. And then the show just dropped it. I wanted to see that conversation! I want to see the characters handle this legitimate concern responsibly. So that when the crap inevitably hits the fan during the wedding, it's not because of something that they could have easily avoided if they'd just used some common sense. I feel like the writers took the easy way out, unless (hopefully), they will show the conversation in the next episode (please!)
More+
Flag
SUNGLASSES!!! That's all it takes...
Flag
Maybe because I am bored of circus themed episodes thanks to Bones, The Mentalist and I am sure a dozen other shows but I found the actual case less interesting than the progress-ish on the main arc esp with Tall&Dreamy (yep, he's so badass and, well, hot) and then poor Sebastian sacrificing himself for the cause... To be honest Sebastian always looked like he was going to die, being undercover with the Royals seemed pretty high risk as a job... RIP Sebastian...
I am excited to see what happens when Adalind, baby & co make it to Portland... Surely things will implode if Captain Renard protects Adalind who did sell the baby after all... I also want to know what about the second baby or at least that second heartbeat... so yeah, lets move to the more intriguing stuff Grimm!
Flag
I wasn't that impressed with this episode. The action wasn't even on the level of that in the 1st season much less what we've been seeing this season. It's depressing when Adalind running around in a forest and lifting a car is all the excitement in an episode. At least I got to see Aidan as a wolf instead of a vampire, though he still has a drinking problem.

I figured that the performers didn't notice Nick, since he and Hank were in the back of the tent in the shadows. But Nick really does not need to be at Monroe's wedding, that has disaster written all over it. Maybe they can webcam it so that Nick can watch it in real-time.

Pretty cake.

I am so hoping for the excitement to ramp up to at least 1st season levels, if not what I've come to expect from Grimm. And maybe once Nick and his mother get back together, maybe she can explain what happened to him with that zombie potion.
Flag
How is it that some wesen know instantly that Nick is a grimm, but other wesen don't notice at all?
Flag
Depends on their emotional state, and how busy they are at the time. And if Nick is visible to them. And they have to be Woging at the time.

So in the first scene where the performers were Woging, they were doing so relatively calmly (thus the concentration Rosalee and the others were displaying), and Nick was back in the shadows where they couldn't see him.

Later, when Hedig is panicking and uncontrollably Woging, he can actually see Nick in the crowd.

If Nick was across the street as they Woged, and they weren't looking in Nick's direction, they wouldn't notice he was a Grimm. Although he would see their true face.

There's been a few exceptions throughout the show, but for the most part they've stuck by those rules.
Flag
Remind me again since when i started Loving and Caring about Adiland o.O
and i want my zombi powers NOW ...
Flag
i never thought i would say this but Adalind is really growing on me! i remember that she was one of the first wesen Nick ever saw- wasnt that like the first or second episode where she was in the guise of a lawyer.

maybe motherhood does change a person- i could definitely see a possible storyline for her, tall-and dreamy and the evil baby.

i cant wait for Nick and Juliette to meet the evil baby and the return of mama-grimm.

this episode was a little unexpected as i was expecting adalind's return to portland this week but i did love the wesen-carnival storyline.

i just wish they would've introduced us to some new and badass wesen we haven't seen before- i feel like this season hasn't showed us as many terrifying ones- though the aswang was definitely memorable...
Flag
Why does it always have to be a Blutbat? Funny line. Monroe is great. I wasn't expecting this episode, mostly because there was a promise of the meet up of Adalind and Nick and I kind of wanted to see that.

Over all it was a great episode. It was nice to see some of the hardships that Wesen have to deal with. Because of course some industrious arsehole is going to exploit them in that way. I do kind of wish it had been a little more extensive. Perhaps a bigger carnival with a bigger bad would have been more interesting. I feel this could have been a great two part episode that could have introduced a bunch of new Wesen that we haven't seen yet. In that respect I think it was an opportunity squandered. I don't think this should have been coupled with getting Adalind out of Europe. I think this would have been a fantastic one of the first few episodes of next season.

Either way, it was fun. The potential of a Grimm at a Wesen wedding is great. That is going to be fun.
Flag
Or how about at the beginning of the episode when Monroe has his monologue, gets all serious, then asks Nick to pay for their wedding? I cracked up over that line as well!
Flag
This was a good Wesen episode. I like it when we get glimpses into their culture. Also, in the past I wasn't that interested in Adalind, but she's growing on me.
Flag
:) I really liked this episode.
Flag
"Oh, my god, why is it always the Blutbad."

So is that their version of House's "It's never lupus"? :) Apparently on Grimm, it's always the Lupus.
Flag
A: Aiden Waite (Sam Witwer) playing a Blutbad. Funny. With Being Human wrapping up, I wonder if we can get any more of the BH cast on Grimm.

B: The "talk" never did happen, but I still think Nick will go through with it. Monrosalee will come up with a way for Nick to be there.

C: I think that the baby got in the way of Adalind's trying to make the guy drop the gun. Strong possibility anyway.

D: Rosalee was hot in her Fuchsbau/circus outfit. The end one, not the one with the nude body suit underneath. That was just tacky.

E: I knew Max did not kill the girls and the ringleader was the real villain. The ringleader is almost always the villain. I just wonder why they didn't yell Grimm!! the first time they showed up. Four performers Woge'd in front of Nick. Maybe not during the performance (the show must go on, right?), but when they were questioning them afterwards. They could have said "We ain't talkin' to no grimm! I thought it might play out better if they saw Nick as grimm and closed ranks that would be why Monrosalee would have to go undercover. Circus folk would close ranks anyway against a cop, but a grimm-cop would make them really close ranks. Then they might leave town, so I just answered my own question. I do not think that the show is consistent on when Nick is recognized as a grimm.

F: Wu shows up for all of a minute. He should've had a flashback or something to show that he was in this episode, otherwise anyone of the extras could have given his throwaway line or two.

G: I liked the wedding cake fuchsbau and blutbad.

H: This has nothing to do with this episode, but I wish Bree Turner would go back to wearing highlights in her hair. It matches her fuchsbau woge a lot better.

Overall I give this episode a B+.
More+
Flag
All I can think about "D" is that it hid the woman's wessen nature so it looked mostly like a face mask. I know some of the men were sleeve-less and such but maybe they wanted it LOOK fake instead "wow, they really did a good job making her legs and cleavage look "foxy"
Flag
  • I think I can answer your question in point E. I think the reason why they did not mention him being a Grimm was because there was no reason to suspect he WAS a Grimm. They woged in front of everybody at each performance. Hank and Nick were in the back they probably initially thought they were just last minute audience members of they even saw them at all during the performance.
    • Wesen seem to know that Nick is a Grimm mostly because they woge and he actually see's it when no one else does. There are two stages of woging: the lesser level that a Grimm can see, as well as other Wesen is triggered more by emotion. The full/higher level woge is the one everybody can see and tends to be more complete (ex:Jagerbar can full woge into a bear after removing their clothes first). At the show, they were in a higher level woge thus they never suspected Nick. Had they been in his presence and one or more of them had gone into a lower level woge then Nick would have looked at him and then they seem to figure out he is a Grimm.
More +
Flag
The performers also had a spot light in their eyes. I doubt they would be able to see much of the crowd, let alone the people (even a grimm) at the very back of the theater, standing in shadows.
Flag
Thanks for that. It makes sense.
Flag
They have more or less established that a Wesen has to be in a panicky/emotional state, and Woging, to notice Nick is a Grimm. That didn't happen during Hank and Nicks' first questioning, and Nick and Hank were in the shadows while the Wesen were up on stage with spotlights in their faces. Also, the implication was that they were kind of controlling the Woge, instead of the typical "lose control" Woging. Which might make a difference.

So it hangs together. Barely.
Flag
I would agree except I don't think "losing control" is part of the equation, though that is a common reason wesen woge, especially in scenarios in which a cop might be present. It's been well established that Grimms are "visible" only when a wesen is in a woged state, and I think this episode stays consistent without problem.
Flag
  • I like how MonRosalee wanted Nick and Juliet in the wedding. I did think it was a little odd though for them to not think about how many/almost all of the guests were going to feel if they found out a Grimm was at the wedding. I mean, Nick will have some people at the wedding on his side: Bud and his wife-maybe also their kids, maybe Hank, Juliet, Monroe's parents at least know that Nick is a Grimm and are kind of getting used to the idea that he is friends with their son and fiance. But what about Rosalee's family and the rest of Monroe's? What about other friends of theirs we have not seen yet?
  • Also, where was the conversation Nick was supposed to have with Monroe about bowing out as best man due to being a Grimm? Juliet mentioned it but you never saw the conversation.
  • I am a little miffed though-they made it seem like Mama Grimm was going to show up this week with Adalind and the possible demon baby and yet now it is not happening until next week. Though I am glad to see Juliet is on Nick's side and wants her out of the house. Sad though not to see Meisner show up though.

More+
Flag
What about all of the blutbads from the episode in the Bauerschwein restaurant episode? They must have known Nick was a Grimm and were okay helping Monroe and Nick arrest the Bauerschwein chef. There have to be quite a few members of the Wesen community who know Nick is all right. I'm surprised we haven't seen a family or two come to him for help.
Flag
That may have been more about punishing the Bauerschwein than being ok with Nick. Yes, Nick has helped some wesen and they know he won't necessarily kill them but that does not mean that they know or are friends with Monroe or Rosalee where they will be at the wedding. The main wesen who seem to actively go to Nick is Bud once and awhile.
Flag
If Max hadn't killed those two silly, nasty chicks, I would have.
Flag
Max I don't think killed those two. The carnival ringleader said that if he hadn't killed those two girls...and that he had been cleaning up Max's messes, etc. That's why Max's GF and two other wesen killed the ringleader at towards the end (the Damonfeuer-dragon like wesen seemed to be the main killer as at the end a pic was shown to Renard and it was the charred remains of the ringleader-no charges were filed against the wesen.
Flag
You kind of wonder why Hedig was killing people for 10 years. No real motive for the character. He's just a killer Wesen type.
Flag
(again replying to your latest comment, not this one :) )

I don't think that Council policy is to interfere with witness Kehrseites at all, unless perhaps if there's a danger of them being taken seriously, or if they do something else that's a direct threat to Wesen safety (like they start another witch-hunt).

Rather, I think that if a Kehrseite sees a Woge (that can't be dismissed as just being a "magic trick," that is), then it's the fault of the Wesen that did the Woge. Or, in the case of a Wesen that's suffering from the umkippen, it's the fault of whoever's responsible for allowing them to get into that state. Hence the fact that local Wesen are "encouraged to perform a sort of intervention."

In other words, if any performers suffering from umkippen scared or hurt any Kehrseite, it would come down on Hedig. Because, as the head of a carnival, he's already skating on thin ice. The Council only lets him get away with running the Carnival at all, because he passes it off as a magic act. The "magic act" is the only thing that keeps it from being a violation of the law.

Hedig may have made a lot of noise about "cleaning up their messes" and tried to make it sound like he was doing them a favor, but the reality was, he was cleaning up his own messes. He's the one who let his performers get that sick. And he's the one that would have answered for it, if any Kehrseite witnesses created any sort of problems, because he's ultimately the reason for them witnessing anything to begin with.

So he decided to clean up the mess by killing the witnesses, thereby concealing his crime (since allowing performers to reach the umkippen stage without giving them a break has to be against some sort of Council policy, or local Wesen wouldn't be encouraged to intervene in the first place). It's not a council-sanctioned action; it's just how this particular self-entitled sociopath decided to clean up the mess. When you think about it, "getting rid of the witnesses" is actually a pretty common motive for killing, at least on TV.
More +
Flag
(replying to your latest reply to me, not to this comment)

I didn't mean to imply that Hedig was some kind of hero. I just mean I assumed that the reason for the 10 years of murders, was the same as the reason for this murder - because this exact circumstance probably happens over and over. A performer suffering from umkippen loses control in front of some kehrseite who'd previously just thought that it was a "magic trick," and Hedig kills the kehrseite to "clean up the mess."

Because the alternative would be to risk the kehrseite talking about what they'd seen, and risk the wrath of the Council. Or at least, he would risk losing the carnival, and he wasn't willing to do that.
Flag
You wonder though what the Council does about witness-kehrseites. No one was sent to kill Wu, for instance. Or even... do anything with him. Rosalee and Monroe knew Wu had seen a Wesen unmasked.

For that matter, Hank and Juliette are getting a pass on knowing all about Wesen. Is that just because they're covered by being Grimm-mates?

So what was the power of Hedig's threat over his performers? The Council doesn't seem too concerned about punishing Wesen who kill kehrseites, and they don't seem concerned about doing much with kehrseites who have seen Wesen for who they are.

Or was it just that Max was worried Hedig would turn him over to the law? That would make Hedig's threat kind of empty, although Max wouldn't know it, I suppose.
Flag
I just assumed that Max wasn't the first Wesen performer to suffer from the umkippen. Not even close. They did say that they had trouble holding on to their employees - Max had been with them, by far, the longest, at 4 years. So what happened with Max and the girls had happened before, several times, with different Wesen over the years. And Hedig would notice the signs, follow them, and kill any kehrseite that got exposed to the reality of Wesen (which, I guess, is one way to avoid getting in trouble with the Council...)
Flag
Except he isn't really portrayed as some kind of hero preserving the Wesen secrets.

What does the Council do with kehrsites who are exposed to the reality of the Wesen? Now, if they had shown what that was, and that Hedig was basically doing the same thing as them except unofficially, it would have given him some characterization.
Flag
For most of this episode I also thought it was a manipulation/control tactic. If his wesen workers thought they'd killed people, he could use that to extort them to stay. Though he ultimately confesses to all the killings, he still leverages the police investigation to threaten Max.

I also believe the "messes" he's referring to are wesen who truly reveal themselves as such. Woging outside the carnival would potentially violate their secrecy agreement in the Council. The practice of killing the witnesses is awfully extreme, especially since he's responsible for the emotional/physical state of over-woged wesen, but it is, at least, logical.

And I also believe that he's a naturally aggressive wesen. Löwen, it appears. Also controlling and competitive, in addition to violent.
Flag
I have a few theories:
  1. Maybe he is a killer wesen type
  2. Maybe he used to be in the actual show and he went through what Max did-people wanting to know how he did it and pissing him off where he attacked. As the years went by, he toughened up and believed that the others should do the same-he did act like a bit of an a** to his performers.
  3. Remember, wesen performers came and went from the show. Maybe he had to clean up some messes caused by other performers who were in the same state as Max-woged too much and becoming out of control.
  4. Could be a combination of 2-3 or all three theories.
Flag
1 is kind of boring, as motiveless killers often are. :)

2 Rosalee said that after a while Wesen would become noticeably unable to control themselves because of Umkippen, but Hedig seemed able to control himself pretty well.

3 He seemed to be taking credit for all the kills, and Nick, Hank, and Renard assumed the case was closed once Hedig was died. So presumably he was responsible for all the deaths, assuming they're competent.
Flag
Sam Witwer playing a creature that kills reminded me of his Doomsday days on Smallville. Also, he looked like a Geico caveman.
Flag
I swear Doomsday is all I could think of during the episode. It was the exact same role but as a blutbad.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members