We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A Grimm Community
Friday 8:00 PM on NBC
In MaryAnn Sleasman's review of "Eyes of the Beholder," she said something that got me thinking. I started to reply, but then thought that this might be its own discussion, so here it is. :)

Re: "I don't know about you, but I personally don't need a shiny new Wesen every single week. I'd rather have strong stories built around the Wesen we already know."

Speaking for myself, I don't mind seeing new Wesen so often, but that's for two reasons:

1. Usually, as in the Russian episode, they manage to use the new Wesen to further the relationships between the main cast, and/or change a perspective for a main cast member (I think Nick learned something from Mishkin, for example. They didn't come right out and say it, because they didn't need to).

2. Even in the Wesen-of-the-week episodes that are largely focused on the Wesen-of-the-week, I don't really mind, because in those episodes, Nick is, more often than not, gaining a Wesen friend. Just in "Eyes of the Beholder", he gained three: Zuri, Jared, and Alicia (yes, Alicia was already a friend, but now she's a Wesen friend. There's a difference). And I actually see this leading somewhere.

For some time now, I've felt that Nick is slowly accumulating a small army of Wesen that are truly loyal to him. Not deliberately, of course - he's doing it just by being himself, which is what makes it so great - but I really think that's where this is leading.

Increasingly, we're seeing more and more story centered around the Royals. Their conflicts, the resistance against them, and even Sean is locked into this mindset of, "who gets to use the Grimm?" I think that, historically-speaking, Grimms have always been either witting or unwitting pawns in the games between the various royal families (Nick's mom said that most Grimms have worked for various royal families to subject their armies of Wesen). I think that what we're seeing in the "Wesen of the week" episodes, is Nick, just by being himself, slowly getting to the point where he can become a player in his own right, and not a pawn.

Just off the top of my head, here are the Wesen who now have good reason to be loyal, or at least grateful, to Nick:
  1. Monroe (loyalty out of friendship)
  2. Rosalee (loyalty out of friendship, plus loyalty to Monroe, who is loyal to Nick)
  3. Bud, his wife, and... well, all of the Eisbieber in town
  4. The family of Naiads from the mermaid episode
  5. Alicia
  6. Zuri and Jared from "Eyes of the Beholder"
  7. The Coyotl friend of Hank's, and his daughter
There are more. A lot more. That's just who I could think of off the top of my head. :) Who else can you think of?

Thoughts? Could the producers be thinking that far ahead? Or are they really just Wesen-of-the-week episodes?
Comments (27)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
See, I've always assumed that the cases we see week-to-week aren't the only ones Nick and Hank work, and that they probably work cases involving humans and no wesen too - we just don't see those because, well, this is Grimm and we're watching for the wesen world, aren't we? I have to admit I've been a little perplexed about people's objection to meeting so many new wesen all the time. I understand it maybe strains credulity a little, but what is it we want, then? More cases that don't involve wesen at all? What's the point of that?

The only real answer I see is doing a much more serialized show, but I doubt that's going to happen, because Grimm has really fallen into its more episodic fomula, and I think it's been pretty successful with it. And I like your idea about Nick building up his own little army, or at least, his own wesen supporters. I don't know, I've never had a problem with meeting so many new wesen on the show.
Flag
I have never liked the fact that pretty much every murder in Portland is commited by a non-human. Does that mean that in the world of Grimm, humans don't kill? So is a city's murder rate a good way to determine the percentage of wesen who live there?

It's even worse that he keeps running into new kinds of wesen so often. They all seem to mate only with their own kind. How do they even find each other if they're so rare? There has to be lots of each kind, or there's a huge amount of inbreeding going on. I would like the show to address these issues.

There seems to be a huge amount of wesen in the world. And there are other grimms, right? Does every grimm live in a city with thousands of wesen? What does a typical grimm do? Is he trying to wipe out the entire wesen population in his city? Is he traveling the world killing wesen here and there? Does he ever ask himself "What the hell is the point of killing them? There are hundreds of millions of them already. I can't kill them off at anywhere near the rate the population is growing. So why even bother?" Are there grimms who are trying to develop more efficient ways of mass murder or mass sterilization?
More+
Flag
"I have never liked the fact that pretty much every murder in Portland is commited by a non-human. Does that mean that in the world of Grimm, humans don't kill? So is a city's murder rate a good way to determine the percentage of wesen who live there?"

Part of it is also viewer bias. :) We tend to remember the Wesen killers, but not the human ones. The killers in the Russian episode, for example, were both human (the housekeeper and her brother), but who remembers them, or the fact that they were the killers? No, we remember Mishkin, the Wesen.

Likewise, in "Eyes of the Beholder," the killers were a street gang from Seattle, also all human. But we don't pay attention to that; we pay attention to Zuri and Jared and Alicia and Joe and the street gang from Portland that's all this one type of Wesen.

Although, admittedly, those are the only times I can think of. Aside from the various crimes committed by the Royals, of course. And then there was the time Nick and Hank visited a local prison and about 1/3 of the inmates woge'd.

So it's definitely implied that the majority of crimes are committed by Wesen (which kind of make sense, given that the instincts of the carnivorous species of Wesen are incompatible with human society), although I think they're doing a better job lately of at least showing that, yes, regular humans do still commit crimes.
More +
Flag
I'm torn. What I feel like the core issue of the show seems to be is that they needed to sell it in some formulaic way to NBC, so at core it is a procedural and as such they have to follow the procedural formula. But the producers are, like us, far more interesting in the long term story. At some point, I think, they have to separate Nick at least from the police force. I figure the easiest way at this point is that he becomes the focus of various forces and the police team of the Grimm crew determines he has to leave the police force. It is sort of why, I think at least, we are going to see some concerted giving Hank some independent stories of his own so that there is still a connection.

But I think your theory of Nick's allies might be important, even if it just to create a side in the battle between the Royals and the Resistance who want to continue to live their own lives without interference. I think that the Wesen Council might eventually be an important ally.
Flag
The bis problem remains - by introducing a new/several new wesen every week it is starting to look like everyone in Portland is actually a wesen. They´re supposed to be a minority who hides their true selves so they don´t get hunted and killed. How about giving Nick and Hank a crime to solve that has nothing to do with wesen? Or let them meet someone who doesn´t turn out be wesen. I mean that wouldn´t mean the episode didn´t have anything to do with wesen. Just mix it up a little bit to keep things fresh because it´s starting to feel rather repetitive.

Oh, and please kill off Juliette. That character is beyond saving. Geez...
Flag
I don't know in a city of 600 thousand people what appears to be maybe a few hundred people isn't many. Its also not clear how close together in the grimm universe timeline everything happens, it could be weeks or months which elapse between cases. I'm not opposed to wesen of the week type episodes as it helps expand the universe and make it more believable, we must be due a few longer story arcs again too. I like the idea of the changing attitudes of wesen to having a grimm around too, its clear that something is unfolding with the royals that nick is a key part of so it may well be that those relationships will be called into play.

As for Juliette I'm still not her biggest fan either but she's slightly better than she was.
Flag
Yes, if you compare the number of wesen to the total population of Portland it might not be that many but that is the big problem with how they are writing the show right now. Everytime we get a glimpse into Nicks life everything that happens involves wesen and everyone new in his life turns out to be a wesen. This simply gives the impression that Portland is basically filled to the brim with wesen. It just comes down to lazy writing for the most part. If they switched things up evry now and then and gave us cases that had nothing to do with wesen it might be different. But the way it´s done right now is just becoming somewhat predictable and boring. At least to me.
Flag
The only way that would work is if you had the long term story line about the royals etc made more prominent in those episodes, otherwise then it would just be another cop show. Grimm without any wesen would be a bit pointless. A series of episodes of normal humans and wesen victims in which their hidden life is only coincidental would maybe also do the job.
Flag
Of course just because the case has nothing to do with wesen doesn´t mean there isn´t gonna be any wesen business in the episode. You can still advance the bigger storyline or maybe use some of his wesen friends to help with the case. But making every criminal he deals with and every new person who enters his life a wesen is just too lazy for my taste. Switch things up. Surprise me. Because nothing kills a show faster for me than always knowing what´s gonna happen every episode.
Flag
This is deep. I too have entertained that idea that Nick will one day need the Wesen he's helped in the past. I think it's very possible. All the Wesen in Portland may be called upon to fight some future evil that the Royals may choose to visit upon the world. Sounds like the series finale to me - years from now, of course.
Flag
Well, I think it's not that he is building an army, as much as he is changing Grimm perception in the wesen-world.
And a good standing in the wesen-world can only be helpful to Nick in the long run. Apart from doing things different from his ancestors, he is also mindful of the traditions and constraints of the wesen world. That i.e. got him a good standing with the council.

So over all Nicks behavior results more in a cultural change in the wesen community itsself. It propells them into the modern times in a way.
Flag
I think its more gratitude than loyalty, like Renard and Monroe said most wesen were raised to believe that, if a grimm sees them, they are as good as dead.

If the show spends too much time with Nick's friend the audience risks to forget grimms really are seen as threat or that Captain Renard is the only royal that any wesen would actually go to for help.
Flag
I think it depends. Sometimes it's simply gratitude for not killing them on sight, and for treating them decently (like Zuri and Jared), but in other cases, there's probably a bit more to it than that. Monroe is very loyal to Nick, Rosalee and Alicia are both indirectly loyal to Nick (Rosalee because of Monroe, and Alicia because of Juliette). But Nick helped save Rosalee's life on at least one occasion (during the Yellow Plague episode), and he helped ensure that Joe will keep his word and not bother Alicia again.

He saved the entire community of Eisbieber from the mafia Wesen that were terrorizing them. He saved the life of the one Naiad girl, and her entire family loved her. He was instrumental in saving Hank's Coyotl goddaughter from being raped. That would result in a bit more loyalty/gratitude than just "thank you for not killing us." :)
Flag
To me, true loyalty was the Catholic Priest that executed the Lowen that disobeyed Renard on the fight club episode from season 1.

I feel there's a huge difference between small gestures of gratitude and breaking a holy vow for your Royal Prince. And that's the difference between Nick not killing them to Renard actually looking out for them.
Flag
I think that the priest in that episode was his agent and being a priest was his cover. I think that the purpose of that episode was to show us how many connections and followers Renard has.
Flag
No, that Lowen was an actual Priest whose Catholic vows got in direct conflict with his wesen existance, and even then, he broke them for his half-wesen Prince (Captain Renard).

That takes a level of commitment Nick hasn't earned yet.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members