A Grimm Community
NBC (ended 2017)
We're walking, we're walking...

Well at least "Where the Wild Things Were" isn't a Wesen of the Week episode! I'm not sure that's a big improvement, though. Instead we get a very long rehash of everything that has gone before, as the team brings Renard up to speed. We also get Dasha the previously unknown Russian whatever-she-is doing an exposition dump to tell the team that Diana is a Shaphat, and that the "prophecies" (What prophecies? Whose prophecies? Dasha is Russian, but Monroe points out that "Shaphat" is Jewish) say that Satan will take the Shaphat as his bride and produce a hundred children.

So, "Zerstorer" (the name of the finale's Big Bad, and the black skull creature) is going to mate with Diana. Which, umm, eww? And meanwhile, he's attacking Eve though mirrors. Which leads to Eve and Nick coming through the mirror to fight Zerstorer. Which... I'm not quite getting the big picture here. Did he somehow set the whole thing up so that they'd come through the mirror so he could escape to the real world and take his "bride"? Or is he just eeevvviiilll and he's been screwing with Eve while waiting? How does he know all this? Presumably this will all be explained in the last two episodes, just like so many other dangling plot lines have been explained in the last six years.

Sarcasm off.

Meanwhile, Eve and Juliette wander through the mirror and find themselves in the "other place." Which is your basic Portland forest. It seems to be inhabited by Wesen that don't woge and don't know what guns are. And it looks kind of like the Black Forest. Which looks like the Portland forest.

There are apparently only two landmarks, a stockade and a circle of Druidic/Stonehenge type stones. So naturally, Our Heroes appear in the latter and pretty easily find the former. But not before they see a mixed group of Wesen hunt down a villager or stockader or Bauerschwein, or whatever he is.

In any case, after Nick shoots a couple of attacking Wesen Blutbaden dead, the stockaders (hi, extras from Vikings!) welcome him and Eve with open arms and pieces of Wesen meat. Nummy. The unnamed leader doesn't say anything in English, as he and his people apparently speak German. So there's lots of subtitles flashing back and forth. Eve knows a little German, I think (huh?), and Nick knows a little German. Maybe they both know the same little German.

(Top Secret! joke. One of the funniest movies ever. Check it out if you can.)

Anyhoo, Nameless Leader Guy (NLG) takes Nick and Eve back to where they started. to kill Zerstorer, because the stockaders are impressed by Nick's big barrel. No, I mean his gun. Minds out of the gutter. Eve has been slowly woging to her Hexenbiest form starting with her hands. When NLG sees them (in the pitch darkness), he freaks out and runs away.

Our power couple enter the stone circle and find a blood-covered altar. At this point, Eve decides to drop a big expositional speech about how she's not Juliette anymore, and asks Nick if he'd be happy the way things were. Whenever "were" is. Before Nick became a Grimm? Before Juliette became a homicidal Hexenbiest? Before Juliette was resurrected and became Eve?

And then Zerstorer, the black skull guy, shows up. Nick's bullets do nothing, naturally, and Zerstorer recognizes Nick as a Grimm and cuts loose with some mystical mojo. And "To Be Continued."

"Wild Things" didn't have much happen. The "action" was Nick and Eve running, and walking, and running, and walking. And eating Wesen meat. Then walking some more. And Team Grimm bringing Renard up to speed on what we the audience have been privy to for over a season. There are a few meta references that are kind of funny. Like Renard's non-reaction to finding out that the Grimm Crusaders buried a stick. And Monroe's response: "It gets that reaction a lot." It was more like the creative team was reminding themselves as much of the audience about all of the major plot threads that they want to address in the last two episodes of the series.

Eve's speech about going back/not going back was pretty much out of nowhere. So much so that I wonder if it wasn't the creative team doing a shout-out to how some fans have complained about how the show hasn't really progressed or developed much in six seasons. "Do you want to go back to the way things were? Huh? Huh? See how we've changed things! Look, damn you, look!"

My general reaction to the "big reveal" of Zerstorer is "That's it?" We get warmed-over Judeo-Christian mythology with some Russian and some Jewish stuff tossed in. And... German? And Schrodinger's Cat? Which I'm pretty sure doesn't work the way they describe it here, as some kind of way to explain that two dimensions exist but they're in a state of relative co-existence until someone "opens the box" (travels between dimensions) and determines that one is real and one no longer exists.

(Overall, I prefer the explanation of Schrodinger's Cat that Dirk Gently provides in the first Dirk Gently series. See below.)

We've got 80-90 minutes of screen time remaining, two episodes, to find out how this all pays off. We've got Zerstorer entering the real world (where he probably becomes actor Wil Traval), we've got Trubel and Bud coming back judging from the press releases. We've got Hank going all Rambo in the station, judging from this week's previews, which means that Zerstorer has to launch an attack there. We have no idea where the "other place" is or why there are some Chariots of Fire German-speaking stockaders hanging out there. Or why Zerstorer is apparently trapped there.

I get the impression the "other place" (catchy name, but that's what the characters and the creative team use) will involve some reveal about the "origins" of the Wesen. Why they're mostly German (except for all the ones we've seen that aren't), why there are German stockarders hanging out there, and so on. But just add that to the 90 minutes of remaining screen time we've got.

In other words, the creative team is doing what they've done for the last five years. Waiting until the last couple of episodes of the season and then stuffing in everything including the kitchen sink. They might be able to pull this whole off, but judging from their track record, I kind of doubt it. But watching the train wreck should be fun.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. What do you think?

-----

here's the Top Secret!/Little German scene I mentioned above. I wonder if Grimm's Nick got his name the same way?

And here's the Dirk Gently/Schrodinger's Cat bit.

9 Comments
Comments (9)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Mar 22, 2017
So, either our duo is in the past, which would make sense, or they are in an alternate dimension, which to me.. I would rather think the first.

It was a good episode and it kinda kicks things into some serious gears.

How will this end? No clue.

Anyways, the Scooby Team that got left behind has no clue where Eve and Nick are. And thus, another dimension would seem more plausible to them than time travel.

Either way, I suspect that someone will die for somoene else to come back from this.

If this makes any sense, NIck will be the one to die.

No happily ever after scenario for Adelind here.

If there is a 'spin-off' to this show. It should be the origin of how Brother Kelly (Grimm with powers) and his sister Diana become nemesis... and other spin-off worth having would be "an HW" spin-off, where some of our characters and new ones would be furthering the world of the Grimm.

More+
Flag
Mar 22, 2017
As I note elsewhere, the time travel theory doesn't make sense to me for no other reason that then... not only did Dasha's speech about Schrodinger's Cat make no sense, but if it's time travel then it serves no purpose except to waste screen time. Those kinds of expositional characters propose theories about what turns out to be happening, not about what's completely wrong.
Flag
Mar 19, 2017
Oh... So my head banging...

First, I agree the Schrody's cat explanation was beyond dumb. Leaving aside that people don't even understand what the experiment was about (It was meant to RIDICULE the notion of something being 2 things at once)

And regardless, seriously? Someone not knowing what's it about (or at least the pop culture reference) is about as dumb as someone never hearing of E=MC^2
Really? They couldn't just say it's another world or something? I'm pretty sure nobody would have issues with that.

Also, while nitpicking, do these people do any sort of basic research?
This is really basic stuff but I googled to make sure I'm not making an ass of myself here and still can't see anything even remotely related to it.
Shafat in hebrew is the past tense of Shofet which means judging. The book of judges in the bible is called Shoftim in Hebrew.
They said that it relates to specific female prophets like Deborah but it really isn't, it's how all judges male or females are referred to. Gideon, Samson etc included.
Also Judges aren't the same as Prophets (some were, some weren't)
Where do they come up with that stuff?

Anyhow, yes, the entire plot line that has nothing to do with nothing is seriously boring and lame. I get that shows want to rush and do a devil plot in the finales (See: Vampire Diaries)
But at least in TVD case they tried tying it up to things. In Grimm, this things has nothing to do with anything.

Also when talking in the past about the stick, I just assumed Yggdrasil making most since since we're talking German myths here, but I'm guessing they are going to do a Jesus thing like someone suggested and maybe go for Spear of Destiny?

I also sort of assumed that a final plot would have something to do with the resistance and the royals maybe? But apparently not.

Oh well, 2 more episodes until the well named train wreck is done. I'm willingly to be pleasently surprised, but not holding my breath.
More+
Flag
Mar 19, 2017
I think it's obvious the "other place" is actually the past ... probably 12th-13th century Germany because of the middle age people around there, and considering the cloth was a calendar which gave a specific date from the future (present for us). So maybe the Skull guy was waiting for Diana (a specific "character") to be born and that's why the date on the cloth coincides with Skull guy's attempts to pass through the mirror. And maybe the Grimm crusaders knew about this prophecy and that's why they buried the stick with the cloth (weapon + instruction).
Oh, and I rather preferred the use of Schrodinger's cat theory in The Big Bang Theory ...
Flag
Mar 19, 2017
Well, I hope that they don't go the time travel route. For one thing, wouldn't the Hexenbiest book say that blood magic involved time travel? For another, Zerstorer doesn't have to "wait" if time travel is involved. He sets everything in motion, hangs out for a few minutes, and the portal from the future opens up in his personal Circle of Stones (tm).

Plus if time travel is the explanation, than Dasha's explanation makes even less sense. What's the point of having a character exposition about alternate dimensions if alternate dimensions aren't involved?

Time travel might account for all of this, but it doesn't seem like that's where the creative team is going with it.
Flag
Mar 19, 2017
Time travel would be way too complicated for the minds of these writers to handle.
Flag
Mar 21, 2017
So true.
Flag
Mar 18, 2017
Train wreck is very apt! Although it wasn't a wesen-of-the-week, the episode felt pretty lame and rushed. I'm not holding out much hope for a decent finale. It kinda feels like a mad dash to get to the finish line which will probably be a complete let down. It would be nice if it came to a fitting end, whatever that is, but hopefully Trubel's appearance will compensate a bit.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members