Grimm Forums

Friday 9:00 PM on NBCIn Season

Please get rid of the Juliette character

mysteriousopal

[21]Oct 4, 2012
    • level: 29
    I don't hate Juliette, I'm kind of indifferent to her. That might have something to do with the fact that we mostly only ever see her as Nick's girlfriend or - after the coma - ex-girlfriend. I think if the writers would give her some direction and something to do other than looking pretty I think I could even like her.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ionee24

[22]Oct 5, 2012
    • level: 32

Blu-Fever wrote:
    I think the Juliet character seems boring because we were brought into the "all ready" established relationship. They were comfortable with each other and the only other problems were the occasional near death experiences when Nick got attacked at home. Also with keeping his Grimm status a secret. But, lately since she lost her memory, I have become more interested in their relationship. I find myself hoping for Nick's happiness etc. I think this line of writing has added some intrigue to the relationship. Just what I think anyway.

I think its unrealistic when a TV plot shows two people looking like Juliette or Nick and expect us to believe they aren't taken at their age, its like telling the story of a Munroe without an ex or his ex's story without a Munroe.

I do agree the amnesia looks like a way to re-boot their relationship to make the viewers invested in it, Renard the potential obstacle that would make us root for Nick's happiness and Rosalee & Munroe a point of comparison to his misery. So far, it works for me.

Edited on 10/05/2012 7:31pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Dec1964

[23]Oct 13, 2012
    • level: 35

I dont think they should get rid of the Juliet character,

after all she is hardly in the show 15mins max.

I read the posts above, i didn't know most people dont

like her..

mysteriousopal

[24]Oct 14, 2012
    • level: 29
    ionee24 wrote:

I do agree the amnesia looks like a way to re-boot their relationship to make the viewers invested in it, Renard the potential obstacle that would make us root for Nick's happiness and Rosalee & Munroe a point of comparison to his misery. So far, it works for me.

I think that's probably what the writers intended too, and at least now I'm halfway interested in Nick's and Juliette's relationship and I'm curious as to how it plays out, especially with Renard involved in Juliette's recovery.

ionee24

[25]Oct 18, 2012
    I liked the way the myth blends with real life: he's a Prince, she's a Sleeping Beauty, what's a grimm if not an obstacle...this is the actual fairytale!

Cranky_Old_Batt

[26]Oct 20, 2012
    • level: 6

BuffaloATP wrote:
    Just what we need...an overbearing nazi type in charge of who can post a comment. So much for freedom of choice.

My concern are the comments directed at other OP and commenters that are insults. I thought that was not allowed, but there are several here and you can not flag them. This is BS.

The Juliette character is a lot like Martha Jones was on Doctor Who. She is pathetic and utterly unlikeable.

So I disagree with the people who do like this character and I am in complete disgust with the TV.com policy that allows a certain elite to flame other users but will remove this comment when one of their preferred users flags it.

JoanWilliams3

[27]Nov 4, 2012
    • level: 2
    Maybe you should express an opinion about the issue instead of engaging in childish personal attacks

ozfangrimm

[28]Nov 8, 2012
    • level: 1

I did not like the Juliette character, at first. I thought she was a bit two-dimensional - simply a complication for Nick in keeping his secret...

The writers didnt do her any favours, either: she's been comatose; the naive girlfriend; the victim... and Bitsie Tulloch (who is a fine actress) has not had much to work with.

Season two has seen an improvement: the sub-plot involving Renard has provided an interesting twist. Her confusion over her selective amnesia regarding Nick versus her desire for the creepy captain has been a nice counter to the main action of each episode.

Bitsie Tulloch has added a layer of fragility to the character: her unease whenever she meets Renard underlines her vulnerability in a situation she doesnt understand (& if she really knew who/what she was dealing with, well... would you cope?)

Im pleased the programme has a little depth: Im pleased the Grimms have a dark history; characters such as Munroe, Renard & Juliette elevate this to more than a cookie-cutter heroes v villains series.

They are treading a fine line, but I dont feel "Grimm" has slipped into 'soapie territory' yet...and for those fans that are frustrated that Juliette hasn't regained her memory yet...fairy-tales always take the complicated path to the happy ending. That's part of the fun!

Charlie183

[29]Nov 10, 2012
    • level: 17

ionee24 wrote:
    I liked the way the myth blends with real life: he's a Prince, she's a Sleeping Beauty, what's a grimm if not an obstacle...this is the actual fairytale!

Never saw it that way.. you are right.. great insight!

Blu-Fever wrote:
    I think the Juliet character seems boring because we were brought into the "all ready" established relationship. They were comfortable with each other and the only other problems were the occasional near death experiences when Nick got attacked at home. Also with keeping his Grimm status a secret. But, lately since she lost her memory, I have become more interested in their relationship. I find myself hoping for Nick's happiness etc. I think this line of writing has added some intrigue to the relationship. Just what I think anyway.

I agree, she was just a side character and only became interesting in the -attack at home- storyline. And with her lost memory, I think that was a great plot device.. I know soo many shows do the I-forgot-you-told-me storyline, but here I liked it, cause it's not just a play on making her forget he told her about being a Grimm. She forgot all (!) about him, which creates another obstacle instead of removing one. I like the new difficulty in their relationship - him sleeping on the couch, both kind of trying hard to go forward and get to know each other (again). It's kind of like having the love story backwards. And I'm also, like @Blu-Fever, hoping for Nick's happiness and seeing how much it hurts him to not get back to the way it was .. It makes me connect to Nick, Juliette is just the creative tool to do that.
    I'm not so sure how I feel about this Renard-Juliette thing though... they should really move along in the storyline there!

PS. This should be a forum to share thoughts, opinions and discuss tv-shows. Please don't "scream" at each other, critizising only because someone else has a different opinion. I do think that people should try to write understandable english: Spelling mistakes are not a reason to freak out (some of us are not native English speakers btw - have respect - we are trying, ) and grammar is not only a form thing.. right grammar can help make a point clear - some people don't even seem to try.

riches

[30]Nov 10, 2012

Ok then, I joined this forum just so I could weigh in on this discussion. First, I think both Bitsie and Bree are cuties. Second, I agree with the posters that say Bitsies character is underutilized. But what's she supposed to do? That's the way the writers have written her. What I think would have been a good idea, was if Juliet had become a bit of hexenbeast [sp] herself. One minute sweet little Juliet and the next a total bad girl. Low plunging necklines, skirts slit up to the thigh, goth makeup, the whole ball of wax. Poor Nick wouldn't know from day to day what he'd be facing. And it would keep sweet little Juliet and add some danger to her as well. This loss-of-memory thing just keeps her in victim mode. I'd like to see the character take on more of an aggressive role. And I'd like to see Bree's character keep getting stronger. Overall though, I think this show's pretty good.

ionee24

[31]Nov 10, 2012

Charlie183 wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:

Never saw it that way.. you are right.. great insight!

I think Nick has the opposite problem as Monroe, Rosalee likes the blutbad so much she doesn't care about the inter-species issue. Juliette, on the other hand, seemed too concerned about Nick's second job for someone who's supposed to share a life with a grimm.

Edited on 11/10/2012 7:03pm

cecylia248

[32]Nov 17, 2012

Its hard to like Juliette. We can blame the writers but also some of the blame lies solely on the actress. Personally, its her facial expression, happy, sad, confused, stressed etc she project the same expression. The eyes specifically are blank. It hard to relate or understand her character or some of the decision she has made. In season one when she was first introduced, they had no chemistry (now its just awful!) she had reasons to complain, she was nagging to the point of annoying. But when Nick told her she did not believe him. In season 2, as a selective amnesiac girlfriend, that blank expression is straight up mean. This character is supposed to be the girlfriend of the grimm, she is a vet - so she is educated but so far she has not convinced us of either role. Hank has done more job of representing/reminding Nick about humanity than Juliette. If they keep her simply for the fairytale view, Sleeping beauty n the Prince, then by all means do so at a limited screen-time. She has saved her purpose (if that was the plan) drive a wedge between Nick and Captain Renard so when royals comes calling that relationship will be entertaining to watch.

Nick as a Grimm and a cop is portrayed as one with a functioning moral compass, people cant choose who they are born as but they can choose how they deal with it. So the good wessen he helps, the bad one he help bring to justice (both as a cop and as a grimm). As a cop he got Hank and as a Grimm he got the amazing Monroe. On personal level, if they cant give him a conflicted love (with a wessen) then give him a functioning-or-simply-seemingly-warm relationship.The kind that will make sense when he fights to protect her, or there is more to his life than duty (Cop+Grimm). Juliette provide neither. I must admit, i wondered if her presence in the show has been solely as the catalyst for Nick-Renard 'what's to come". If so, she (and the writers) has done poor job of convincing us she deserve it.

ionee24

[33]Nov 17, 2012
    C'mon! you make her sound like Elena Gilbert and Juliette is WAY more mature than that.

Break-up notwithstanding.

cecylia248

[34]Nov 17, 2012

Mature, maybe she is...

Off the top of my head, the only mature decision i understood was in season 1 when Juliette declined Nick's marriage proposal because she felt he was keeping things from her, excluding her from his grief (Aunt Marie).....only to think he is delusional and not believing him once he explained. Mind you that was after she went on and on about believing there are monsters in this world. Lets not count her actions in season 2 i could dance on that one.

Elena?..LOL! from season 1 i realized the core premise of the show comes from her traits that make me.....there is nothing we can ask there. Juliette's case is different. She is not an integral part (unless you count the triangle). Quick survey around most forums (fans) you will see majority of fans do not really like the character. I assume the writers have read/seen fans feedback on the character but since nothing have changed, then her purpose was always to be the Nick/GF/Renard triangle. The one that will ensure Nick stays Nick the grimm and cop, and not in cahoots with Renard and his agenda, or the European royals agenda.

ionee24

[36]Nov 17, 2012

cecylia248 wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:
    C'mon! you make her sound like Elena Gilbert and Juliette is WAY more mature than that.

Mature, maybe she is...

Off the top of my head, the only mature decision i understood was in season 1 when Juliette declined Nick's marriage proposal because she felt he was keeping things from her, excluding her from his grief (Aunt Marie).....

Juliette was mature enough to explain her predicament to Nick, rather than go and sleep with his brother[-in-arms] the first chance she had, she was mature enough to explain herself to Monroe and deal with its even if she couldn't understand it herself and she's been mature enough with Renard, even more so than Adalind, Catherine and the mother of the Grimm combined.

The childish thing for me would be to expect her to stick with Nick only because he's the lead, for Juliette is her own woman even if she's not an "integral part" of the "core premise"( Seriously, the only thing she's not really an integral part now, is Nick's love life). This show is WAY more more mature than that.

ETA:"Quick surveys" around "fans" notwithstanding.

Edited on 11/17/2012 1:19pm
    Edited 2 total times.

riches

[37]Nov 17, 2012
    Makes me wonder what's going to happen when Juliette finds out the truth about Renard. Emotionally she might be enthralled by him but intellectually she's going to know she's been conned. He's the one that cost her, her memory and relationship with Nick. Now she's going to be really confused. And kinda p.o'd. Rich

cecylia248

[38]Nov 18, 2012
    ionee24 wrote:

cecylia248 wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:

Mature, maybe she is...

Off the top of my head, the only mature decision i understood was in season 1 when Juliette declined Nick's marriage proposal because she felt he was keeping things from her, excluding her from his grief (Aunt Marie).....

Juliette was mature enough to explain her predicament to Nick, rather than go and sleep with his brother[-in-arms] the first chance she had, she was mature enough to explain herself to Monroe and deal with its even if she couldn't understand it herself and she's been mature enough with Renard, even more so than Adalind, Catherine and the mother of the Grimm combined.

The childish thing for me would be to expect her to stick with Nick only because he's the lead, for Juliette is her own woman even if she's not an "integral part" of the "core premise"( Seriously, the only thing she's not really an integral part now, is Nick's love life). This show is WAY more more mature than that.

ETA:"Quick surveys" around "fans" notwithstanding.

Childish thing would be for the writers expecting us to believe they should be together..considering her flighty...and mixed (mature + immature ----my earlier "Maybe she is!!"---- portrayal>>mannerism and behavior) and zero chemistry between them. I think we both agree the SHOW is more mature.

ionee24

[39]Nov 18, 2012
    riches wrote:
    Makes me wonder what's going to happen when Juliette finds out the truth about Renard. Emotionally she might be enthralled by him but intellectually she's going to know she's been conned. He's the one that cost her, her memory and relationship with Nick. Now she's going to be really confused. And kinda p.o'd. Rich

I can't wait for Juliette to see Renard woge for the first time!

She might be the only human charaxter with an insight to the Royals and the hexenbiest plot in the whole cast...and Nick can't talk about it with her anymore,

This is finally getting interesting!

SuzanneBeryl

[40]Nov 26, 2012

I don't think we're suppose to get too attached to Juliette's character. I think the writer's are intentionally not developing her so that she can leave Nick at the end of the Sleeping Beauty storyline and we will root for Nick to stay a bachelor.

Juliette rarely shows skin. She's kept practically virginal on screen. She has few snappy lines of dialogue and she's directed to deliver those very dispassionately. We see Juliette and Nick being affectionate, being domestic, even being romantic. But never passionate.

Adelind on the other hand is allowed cleavage. That's wardrobe. That's intentional. Adelind is being developed to have a bad girl/sizzling dialogue exchange with Nick and fans won't accept that if we think he's betraying Juliette's memory. So the writer's are keeping us from getting to like Juliette too much.

It's a shame because I love Bitsie Tulloch and I love white knights/good girl romances. They can be sizzling. But it doesn't look to me like that's what the writers have planned for the series so they are not writing it that way.

Edited on 11/26/2012 8:26pm
    Edited 6 total times.