Grimm Forums

Friday 9:00 PM on NBCIn Season

Why Juliette is Wooden

SuzanneBeryl

[1]Nov 26, 2012
    • level: 1

Giuntoli has indicated that Juliette represents Nick's past life and with her gone he's pissed that his old life is gone. He's now going rogue. http://www.nbc.com/grimm/video/season-of-the-hexenbiest-david-giuntoli/1423717/

So it seems for Nick to get totally committed to the Grimm persona he's going to have to give up Juliette. And to prepare us for that break the writers are making her so wooden.

I don't think the writers ever wanted us to get emotionally invested inher character. That was the problem in the TV series Angel which creator David Greenwalt worked on. Angel was tied down by the "soulmates" mythos with Buffy so that many fans would not accept him in any other relationship and that limited the writers ability to create new sizzling storylines and the series eventually cancelled.

Juliette is the only character in the cast who is written at arms length. We're told nothing significant about her past, her goals, her character. Tulloch is a great actress so I think's she's being directed to act reserved. Nick shows passion, love, emotion. We're suppose to get attached to him. Juliette I think we are suppose to feel nostalgia for but never want her back in Nick's life. I hate that but I think it isn't the "true love that lasts through all time" mythos that Grimm is shooting for. I have to go over to Once Upon A Time for that fix.

Edited on 11/28/2012 5:14pm
    Edited 18 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ionee24

[2]Nov 30, 2012
    • level: 32

If there's anything I've learnt from the Twillight saga - aside how ridiculous its to cry because you can't micro-manage an actress/character to date the guy you want - is that a love triangle is a love triangle only if a character is torn and Juliette isn't torn to me:

1. She's perfectly clear she has feelings for Renard,

2. She's perfectly clear she no longer wants to be with Nick,

3. She's perfectly aware of the whole situation.

I think she's conflicted because she knows what's coming, she knows it can't be avoided and she'll face it like the adult she is: upfront and with blunt honesty.

I don't think telling her about the wesen world is going to make a difference at this point, she's not getting back together with Nick. I don't know if a Prince and a vet is possible, I know for sure a hexenbiest and a human is verboten and I know the boss of your ex boyfriend is complicated, at the very least.

Edited on 11/30/2012 9:42pm

SuzanneBeryl

[3]Dec 2, 2012

I still think it's the obsession spell speaking just like it was with Hank. She hardly knows Renard when she starts having "feelings" whatever those feelings are.

Yeah I think that ship has sailed. She wants him out.

Nope Sleeping Beauty is asleep for 100 years. Until Adelind's cat does whatever the writer's have planned, Beauty is still without her memories. She is not aware of the the whole situation. But I bet she wakes up eventually and by then it's too late to go back to the way things were.

Edited on 12/02/2012 5:12pm

SuzanneBeryl

[4]Dec 2, 2012

I don't think there ever was a time that was right to tell Juliette about the Grimm world. After she was kidnapped by Ariel she said she didn't think she could keep doing this, meaning putting up with the danger and violence of Nick's job coming home with him. Even while thinking he's just a mundane cop, she's having doubts about living with that so I don't think believing in the Grimm world will make her want to stay with him.

And Renard marrying a nobody from Portland? Sure he'll do it because that's what happens in the Sleeping Beauty fairytale. But it won't last. The two have nothing in common but an obsession spell.

Renard's talked about having plans to return to take his "rightful place" in his family in Vienna. He's discussed a possible "future", (i.e. a political marriage?),with Mia from another of the royal famlies. I don't see Juliette who can't stand being a cop's wife, can fit in with Renard's plans. I don't see this young couple making it in the long run.

Juliette as a character is toast. She'll last a season or two more until the Sleeping Beauty storyline ends and then she's gone. And knowing that makes it easier for a romantic like me to accept this storyline. I have to keep reminding myself that Grimm is not a romance show. It's billed itself as a very dark, meaning tragic, paranormal. You have to enjoy it on that level and not look for a happily ever after ending.

Edited on 12/02/2012 5:14pm
    Edited 5 total times.

ionee24

[5]Dec 2, 2012

SuzanneBeryl wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:

If there's anything I've learnt from the Twillight saga - aside how ridiculous its to cry because you can't micro-manage an actress/character to date the guy you want - is that a love triangle is a love triangle only if a character is torn and Juliette isn't torn to me:

I think she's conflicted because she knows what's coming, she knows it can't be avoided and she'll face it like the adult she is: upfront and with blunt honesty.

I don't think telling her about the wesen world is going to make a difference at this point. She's not getting back together with Nick. I don't know if a Prince and a vet is possible, I know for sure a hexenbiest and a human is verboten and I know the boss of your ex boyfriend is complicated, at the very least.

Oh it's definately too late to tell Juliette about the Grimm world now. But I don't think there ever was a time that was right. After she was kidnapped by Ariel she said she didn't think she could keep doing this, meaning putting up with the danger and violence of Nick's job coming home with him. Even while thinking he's just a mundane cop, she's having doubts about living with that so I don't think believing in the Grimm world will make her want to stay with him.

I think she may come to believe in the Grimm world eventually, but not through Nick telling her. That's not dramtic enough. More likely experiencing it in the worse way possible...

I still believe Juliette is bound to be the first human - not to mention, first character in the whole cast - to see Renard woge to his hexenbiest form. However, I don't believe Nick's lacking the ability to woge is what played against him. Theirs just wasn't a good relationship, they were settled but they weren't together, otherwise Nick would've listened toher point of view long and hard in order to understand the kind of craziness he was asking her to accept.

Renard may have his flaws but he never asked that much of her, he actually listened to Juliette and understood what kind of problem this posed for her, then he tried to get rid of it for both their sakes and, once that failed, he still waited for her opinion on what they would do next. Even now, he's still waiting. It makes me believe that, should Juliette pursues a relationship with him, Renard will make her an active participant on whatever choice that involves her, starting with what he is and ending with the plans he has for the Grimm.

Edited on 12/02/2012 5:27pm

protonefrid

[6]Dec 21, 2012
    • level: 8

If I were Juliette, the moment I found out the truth and got rid of the spell/curse thing, I'd be pretty disgusted with both men. They are both at fault for what is happening to her even though they're both suffering because of it too. If you stop and think about the actual amount of information she really possesses about her situation it's quite scary and she's right in the middle of everything right now. The only true protection and help Nick/Renard could have offered her was information, I mean, the caffee scene with Adalind was truly painful to watch for that reason mainly... it felt like going to war with a pocket knife while your enemy was comfortably aiming at your head with a sniper weapon from the top of a near by building.

I just hope someone gets her in the loop and we get to see her kick Adalind's behind like no tomorrow. She really deserves some revenge after she gets out from this whole mess.

As for being with either Renard or Nick... I hope she goes solo for a while, helps along with some cases (being a veterinarian and all, maybe through Rosalee), heals her wounds, then figures out her emotions. Also, Nick might want her back after this thing cools down but I seriously doubt Renard will be still interested (unless he slowly starts being interested after the curse is broken, but knowing Renard's character that's going to take a while to brew or even show).

By the way... i like Juliette. I hope she stays on the show. Unfortunately, I agree the writers didn't bother to develop her character and i have a feeling that it's because they wanted to get rid of her somewhere in the middle of the first season but then they changed their minds or at least changed the direction of the story so they are keeping her for the time being (I think they changed a lot about Renard's character too, they didn't have a clear direction for him from the beginning. lol at the coming and going of the gray hair)... it's like they had thought out only about 6-10 episodes or so and when they realized the show was catching on they sat down and wrote a real plot.

this might sound like spoiler but is it true that somewhere in episode 14, Monroe, Rosalee, Nick, Juliette and Renard will be all in the spice shop at the same time? it is said that it's because Nick gets bitten by some scorpion wessen but it's only hearsay and speculations...anyone knows anything concrete?

ionee24

[7]Dec 22, 2012

protonefrid wrote:
    If I were Juliette, the moment I found out the truth and got rid of the spell/curse thing, I'd be pretty disgusted with both men. They are both at fault for what is happening to her even though they're both suffering because of it too.

I can't speak for her because, seriously, a Prince and a Grimm?! Is not what I would call the average dating material. I believe it's an impossible choice, not because of the amount of information at hand, but because of one simple truth: Juliette isn't Cinderella.

This show is, literally, asking a XXIst century woman to choose which one of these icons she would rather spend the rest of her life with. (And, make no mistakes, "the rest of her life" may not last that long -with any of them- considering the volatile situation with the Royal families, wesen, Adalind, etc., etc., etc.)

Edited on 12/22/2012 8:16pm
    Edited 2 total times.

DivinePearl

[8]Mar 31, 2013
    • level: 3

Y'all make some good points, but I think part of the reason why Juliette is being kept at arm's length is because Bitsie Tulloch is currently also filming the movie Parkland, so they're trying to make it easier for her. Now, for those that haven't heard of Parkland, you can find out more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkland_(film)

Edited on 03/31/2013 9:29pm