Grimm

Pilot

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Oct 28, 2011 on NBC

7.8
  • Great show

I only "discovered" Grimm late last summer and binged watched the entire first four seasons on On Demand just before the season 5 premiere in Oct. Loved it and still really like the show. The pilot grabbed my attention right from the get go.. I mean how could it not? what with the distinctive Eurhythmics "Sweet Dreams are made of this" to kickoff a truly chilling and shocking opening sequence and ending with Marilyn Manson's creepy cover of the same song.
  • Catching up late off of DVDs

I only started watching this show late last fall and have seen all the season 2 episodes so far so I just picked up the DVD set off eBay for $11. Last night I watched the pilot episode and know I will enjoy the entire first season based on that one. Being a fan of fantasy and scifi I find this show a lot of fun. I like the premise and throwing it in with a detective theme works great. I am a fan of the Dresden files books and like that show during its' brief run and this show has some common elements. The first episode introduced Nick and his partner and set him up discovering that he is a "Grimm," a hunter of evil creatures that exist unbeknownst in our world. This premise certainly lends itself to good story possibilities. This first episode was very good as Nick discovers his inborn capabilities when another Grimm, his aunt, shows up and is almost killed by a wolf/beast. She also brings along the trailer full of weapons and information on what inhabits this creature world that is coexisting with the normal world. I am looking forward to watching the entire season one and can fairly well assume it will probably get better.
  • 1.01 '''PILOT' = Not bad, not exactly new or fresh ...

I think it was pretty decent, not the best one as I said. But I liked the special effects and the Pilot was good overall. And I loved Kate Burton guest starring as Marie, she is always a scene stealer, happy to see that she will appear in one more episode to say the least. Tim Bagley had also this new kind of character to play with, he always plays the funny guys and now this weirdo. And the end of the episode surprised me in a great way - what a cool cliff. 7,5/10
  • Oh come on, it wasn't THAT bad!

All right, I know I'm late, but I only got the season 1 boxed set the other day...

I did watch the pilot when it aired originally, and yes I thought it was clich city, but I stayed with it, and it's been well worth the ride.

I don't recall seeing a show where the pilot episode was the best. episode. ever. They serve a purpose - these are the characters, here's some backstory, this is what the show is about... and in that, the pilot does it's job perfectly well.

• Somewhat predictable, but enjoyable.

Every new show is going to take some time to find its feet and this one will be no exception. Building a fan base is always difficult, especially when the majority of the actors concerned aren't all that well known. As for this episode, the beginning was quite good, even though the actors seemed a little bit lost. The middle seemed to get a bit 'confused' but they straightened it out again at the end. I will reserve judgement on the show overall until I have seen a few more episodes but so far, it's quite watchable, even if the premise isn't a new one.
  • Yawn... seen it all before

2.5
    Many shows emulate others... but this seems to just have nothing original to it.

Primarily it feels like Buffy.. a normal person, having a special role forced upon them. History, mystery, intrigue. Yawn. I loved Buffy... but Buffy is from the '90s. Even the effects on some of the monsters in Grimm was like something from Buffy.

Its other key influence is of course Supernatural... another show that I love, but don't necessarily want to see copied.

So the parents are dead... mystery. Yawn, seen it before. The mix of dark topics with light humour/dialog. Seen it all before. The supposedly 'clever' things like 'R H' on thie child's satchel - yes, we saw it... too obvious. The bad guy humming the music... did you see it viewers...did you see it? Of course you did, too obvious.

Wooden dialogue. No spark. Uninteresting cast. Nothing. It felt just like a mash of loads of other great shows that we've already seen.
  • The Grimm adventures of Nick and Hank.... ????

I just watched the Pilot of Grimm, like most people I cant help compare it to Supernatural its clear that's what the producers are aiming for. Personally I found the Pilot mediocre but aren't all pilots cringy when we look back at them after watching a show for a few years?

I think what the pilot is lacking is comedy, they need someone like Dean to lighten the mood. We did get a snipped of this with Silas Weir Mitchell (that funny wolf guy who's name you cant remember) is it wrong that I'm hoping the aunt dies and Nick (that tv version of Brandon Routh) Has no one to turn to except Wolf guy? It would make the show that little bit more interesting. Instead of assassinating the characters like many others have I'll simply say that they need a little more work, but hey that's what a whole season is for to build the characters.

I'm still on the fence about this show what's keeping me watching is David Greenwalt I love him from Buffy/Angel he wrote a few of my favorite episodes so this gives me hope that Grimm has potential! oh and Sasha Roiz as the big bad that doesn't hurt.

All in all the pilot was so so it has potential to be interesting but its also forgettable which can lead to it being cancelled. I hope they stick to keeping the show dark with touches of humor, build more interesting characters and of course that they stray off the beaten path and make the show unique and not a carbon copy of Supernatural.

• On the plus side of meh ...

Of course, like many others, I immediately thought: Producers are trying to come up with another Supernatural. Sorry folks, not possible. Supernatural is ... well ... SUPERNATURAL, a show that for us fans has indelibly left a mark.

That said, Grimm was not bad. I don't think the acting sucked, rather I think the pilot was hurried in order to get the main story out. The wolf guy was funny, so that gives me hope too. The story line was okay and I think it has hope.

Only time will tell for sure, but I'm on the side of giving it a chance.

• This show S U C K E D big time.

The acting is soooooooooooo bad, the characters are so boring. The actors fell into telling, the didn't understand their relationships. This show is BAD with a capital B. The storyline is lame. And it has no connections with fairytales. I know all about the Grimm Brother's stories, I know it's dark, and shows the reality of the dark side of life, but it just didn't make sense to me about fighting demons and things.

• Thanks, but no thanks.

I'll get right to it. Most of the acting in this pilot was terrible, they may improve over time and I hope they do, but they kept taking me out of the scenes. Though it would be unfair to say all of them missed the mark,Silas Weir Mitchell and Sasha Roiz both very exceptions.

The dialogue and pacing also just never seemed to work, while the cinematography is insanely good, the atmosphere and tension are entirely absent. With all the parallels to the CW show Supernatural, I pondered how good their pilot was, and while first episode show was not perfect, it had far more potential to capitalise on then Grimm does, and it did, where in Grimm case it's fighting an up hill battle. Good luck, to those who enjoyed it. I'm out.

• It lost me already, it just didn't hold my attention.

Early reviews had not looked promising and it wasn't expected to stick so I wasn't even sure I wanted to get into Grimm and then risk it getting canceled. But I finally watched it but by the end I was puttering around my living room while the tv was on in the background.

John Rogers, the creator of Leverage, my favorite show, said "People only pay attention when they care." And I didn't care while I was watching Grimm. John Rogers also said "People love a good story, but really they're watching because they love the characters." This philosophy shows on Leverage because I love the characters, right from the very beginning I loved all five of them. But on Grimm I don't care about them and so I stopped paying attention. If I don't care what happens to Nick why should I keep watching to see what happens to him? I also wasn't into the story either, it felt like old news.

@doctorwho747 Sure no pilots are perfect, but there's a difference between doing something I like imperfectly and doing something I don't like imperfectly. All shows are judged on their imperfect pilots, that's how people tell whether or not they want to get into a show. They shouldn't have to keep watching a show when they didn't like the pilot. Can you imagine if we had to keep watching every show whose pilot we didn't like? Why should we do that for Grimm if we don't do that for every other show?

I've seen many comments from people who weren't sure they liked it after the pilot but are going to give it a few more episodes. I on the other hand am sure I don't like it and watching it more would only bore me more. It's not that I thought it wasn't perfect and that's why I will stop watching it. If I thought it had potential I would give it time to fix the flaws. I just don't like it in general, the same way I know I don't like Brussel sprouts and eating more of them would not make me like them more. Whereas when I watched the Supernatural pilot it was like eating chocolate. I cared about Sam and Dean right away, I was riveted to the screen the whole time and I knew I would love the show. And their pilot wasn't perfect either, no one's is.

Also, don't blame us for comparing it to Supernatural or having to choose between the two. Blame NBC because it made a show that obviously copies Supernatural, that is not as good as Supernatural, and put it on at the same time as Supernatural. By making the two similar shows compete for the same fans it is forcing us to choose. Sure there are DVRs but I already watch Supernatural live and DVR Fringe. The only reason I could DVR the pilot is because Fringe wasn't on.

So I do have to choose and I'm choosing Supernatural hands down because it does it so much better. Just compare the two opening scenes from their pilots. In Grimm some random jogger they have told us absolutely nothing about is running along, I totally knew she was going to be jumped even though there was no build-up of suspense, and when it did happen there was no action. It was over in the blink of an eye, all you see is a blur as it is carried off camera and it was all very ho-hum. The scene was facile and uninspired; it was like they didn't put any thought into it. It was nothing more than "We need to establish something is killing women in red hoodies and plant the Eurythmics song, so jogger gets jumped, iPod falls to ground, okay done! Moving on." All they did was move the story from point A to point B, and it was boring. They didn't even bother to make it scary.

In Supernatural we meet the Winchesters and we see they're a loving family as they put Sammy to bed and I immediately cared about them. Then there's this tense build-up when the clock stops and the lights start flickering and the toys over Sammy's crib start moving. Mary goes in to check on him and she sees a dark figure by the crib. Thinking it's John she starts to go back to bed but then goes to investigate some flickering lights at the end of the hallway. Then she hears noise downstairs and goes to check it out and realizes that John is asleep in front of the tv and it was not John in her son's room! She races back and we hear her scream! John rushes in but sees nothing. Then drops of blood start pattering down and he looks up and sees with horror that his wife is pinned to the ceiling and gutted!!! She erupts into flames so John grabs the baby and rushes out into the hallway where he puts Sammy in Dean's arms and says the immortal words: "Take your brother outside as fast as you can! Don't look back! Now, Dean, go!" He goes back to try and save Mary but is met with an exploding wall of fire! I just watched it again so I could describe it, and it seriously gave me chills even though I had seen it several times before. And I will never forget how much I was going "Holy Crap!" when I saw it the first time. It completely floored me, I had absolutely no idea what was going to happen from one second to the next.

Not only was the whole scene scary and shocking and dramatic and tragic, but it also set up the heart and soul of the show about a family broken by the supernatural murder of the mother, plunged into a world where monsters are real, and two brothers who keep pulling each other out of the fire. I was very invested in what happened to the Winchesters from that moment on.

Those two scenes sum up the difference between the two pilots and the two shows for me. Although Grimm is set in the same world as Supernatural, the story they are telling within it doesn't excite or even interest me and they didn't give me reason to care about the characters or feel emotionally invested in their journey. Grimm felt to me like a boring version of something that has already been done before. So it's not because the two shows are "similar" that I don't like Grimm, it's on the contrary because Grimm has a completely different approach to storytelling and character creation, and one I don't like at all. It feels like the Supernatural writers are digging deep to find the heart and soul of the story and the characters, whereas the Grimm writers are just connecting the dots on the surface. Supernatural was able to give me tons of heart and soul in its pilot so if Grimm didn't, either it doesn't care about heart and soul or it royally sucks at it. And without the heart and soul I just don't care enough about the story or the characters to keep watching.

I just came across a quote from Lost creator J.J. Abrams, about Supernatural creator Eric Kripke, whose new series Revolution Abrams is producing. Abrams said Kripke "is deeply concerned about character, back story, the emotional lives of the people he's writing. It's something I really appreciate." It's something I really appreciate too, and what I feel is lacking in Grimm.

• This was an okay episode but wasn't quite creative or scary enough.

I've been looking forward to watching Grimm since I first heard about it in the summer time. This is a show I am rooting for and that could potentially be a great show, if they get it right.

I was a little disappointed in the pilot episode. It was good but not great. I liked the episode enough that I'll give the show the good old four episode test. But am I dying to see the next episode? No. I'm not eaten up with curiosity.

When the show began, I was immediately looking forward to something crazy happening (having seen the promos of the running coed getting 'attacked'). Instead, I was immediately disappointed when they cut away from whatever was happening and immediately played sound effects to convey what was going on. It was a cheap trick. I understand that network shows have a limited budget so let's move on.

I like the actor that plays Nick, the main character. He has very good acting skills, so far, and he has 'leading man' written all over him. There is a way that he commands the screen, a certain presence that he has. I like him so far. The supporting cast is good as well, Nick's partner, his girlfriend, his aunt, and the police captain. So far, it seems like a solid cast. I also liked the other big bad wolf (forgot his name) who jumped out the window onto Nick. The wolf/murderer was good as well. The little girl was completely fake and unbelievable but I can look past that since they didn't show her for very long. Child actors seem to get worse and worse.

This show has the potential to be intriguing and scary. I just hope that they can get the stories together better. For example, Nick's partner realizing that the mailman was the killer because he was humming that song was weak and corny. There were much better ways to connect the guy to the crime other than him singing a song that shouldn't have been playing in the first place (who would really have just the one song playing over and over).

I'm excited that they didn't throw too much at us atonce about what a Grimm is and what being a Grimm entails. Too many details at once can detract from the action. I also like that the captain is a bad guy. It's going to be hard for Nick to protect his aunt and everyone else, and do his job, when his boss is a major bad guy. His boss is obviously aware of the Grimm side of the universe also. This can create a lot of really suspenseful and exciting episodes.

I'm not loving Grimm yet but I'll wait and see if it gets better. I really want this show to become great! The premise is cool and I am actually hoping that this show succeeds. I just have some mixed feelings at the moment.

• It would seem people are judging how the whole show will be based solely on the pilot, alot of comparisons to supernatural. In SPN Chuck a writer who's books were SPN episodes narrated "There can never be a perfect beg or end, people will always b***h"

First I am writing this review after having the pilot more than once and then the second episode. And Maybe the show has a LITTLE Supernatural feel which I think is a good thing and now I love both shows. Most tv show pilots whether with well known or new actors always take a few episode before they really hit their stride as their characters. If it's one thing I get is that the Grimm Pilot threw alot of info at us without actually revealing alot of things, something Lost ALWAYS did.

@CrystalNelson1 It seems to me you were watching a different show. How can you say that this show has nothing to do with Grimm's fairy tales? There were so many allusions right in front of our faces The first scene basically let us know that we were starting with red riding hood. Than one of the characters is the "Big Bad Wolf" who isn't bad, drinks beer, and helps out. And like I said it's the pilot, for God's sake actors do sometimes need to do more than one episode before they figure out and get comfortable with there characters. Watch the second episode and try to tell me you don't think it has to do with the stories, it even starts with a quote from the story they focus on.

@wldz I am sorry but you are even more way of course than any other reviewer. You talk about on X files Mulder's desperate look for his sister. Scully being torn between science and rational explanations, to turning to faith notonly in what she sees but in following Mulder in his search.

Then you speak of Supernatural with Sam's struggle to remain good despite the darkness inside. And Dean's putting on his leading face despite being betrayed, hurt both physically and menally over and over and that's just by his loved ones. How the brothers both deal with the lies they tell eachother and the betrayals.

SO again I say to you wldz, did we find out and see all of these things happen on both shows in the pilots? NO We saw it played out over NINE seasons on X Files, and Supernatural is currently in it's 7th. No show shows the real full depth of it's characters in just one episode You are getting way ahead of yourself and your logic is deeply flawed.

And to top it all off you call this a forgettable disgrace show like Haven, Warehouse 13, and Sanctuary. Well let's see Haven, a show inspired by a Stephen King story has had solid ratings it's two seasons and has picked up for a 3rd. But yeah who is Stephen King? WH13 which has two characters who have a little bit of a M&S relationship like X files except more like brother and sister, also has 3 seasons of solid ratings and will have a 4th. And well Sanctuary I can say took a few episodes before hitting it's stride, It started it's fourth season a month ago. So Yeah these shows are forgettable, and I am sure people don't watch them and really dislike them.

Ok I did my Rant. Bottom line people Grimm is a show that will get our attentions and show us it's originality along with some homages. The second episode was way better than the first and explains alot more so give it a chance. But no matter what I say people will compare it to SN and the also new and lighter hearted Once Upon A time and make it seem like you have to choose one show to watch out of them. When did it become wrong to like all shows that are similar in some way? Grimm is just getting started, give it a chance

• There's no such thing as a perfect pilot!

Grimm smartly blends fairtyales and CBSprocedural shows formula into something almost innovative. Although there's some questionably and cringe-worthy scenes, Grimm has potentials. I must admit the campiness anddefinitelythe B- horror movies effects - but its effective, the show itself is based on campy horror stories. The show needs tweaking of course, the pilot is not perfect. Theres no such thing of the latter. This doesn't mean though the pilot "sucks" or "blows". The show has big-arch stories adding more mysteries and thrills to the showand also enough single-episode plotlines to keep it going. And judging from the premiere ratings ( and hopefully will rise) and the pilot in general, I'm looking forward for more cause I'm hooked!

• Perky, simple-minded leads, not promising. The great shows in this genre (X-Files, Supernatural) have smart, edgy, unconventional lead characters played by talented actors who add depth to their complex roles. Those shows are genuinely moving because

4.5

week after week, the stories hit their tormented leads hard in very personal ways.

Think of Mulder struggling painfully with his doubts about whether his sister is alive, Scully pitting her religious faith against her devotion to Mulder, Sam desperately torn between being the cold-blooded villain and warm-hearted idealist, Dean leading with ruthless determination but crucified again and again by betrayal--brought on by himself and the people he loves. And that's without even mentioning the complexities and torments of BSG!

A perky simple-minded character can't get anywhere near this depth. In the same genre with the same kind of situations, nothing much happens at best (see Episode 1) and stupid mistakes happen at worst (e.g., the fake set up of the creepy music before introducing the aunt, as another reviewer mentioned.) [NOTE TO WRITERS: This is not like the brilliant misdirection of Hitchcock, it's just a cheap rip off that insults the audience and diminishes their trust.]

Sadly, this show is the completely forgettable style of Haven, Sanctuary, Warehouse 13, and dozens of other quickly forgotten attempts at this very cool genre. Disappointing. We might hope it would get better, as many shows do, but the lead and his sidekicks (with the exception of Kate Burton) are so dim-witted, it seems unlikely.

• Supernatural for the Straight Guy.

With a more masculine tone that Once Upon a Time, Grimm takes the Fantasy genre into another spin that doesn't rely on HoYaY and love triangles to assert itself.

Rooted in deep mythology, the story shows potential from the get got, driving inspiration from cable shows like Camelot and Game of Thrones and bringing their overall atmosphere to the XXIst century.

Solid perfomances and terrific acting introduce us to the mystery of the week, a case that evolves in strict logic within the rules established by the show. Of course, there's no easy answer in the realm of the supernatural, therefore every answer leads to more questions that, in this case, are carefully dealt with, one after the other, so no viewer would get lost. Recommendable.

• Awful. Extremelyderivativeof Supernatural, and thefairy-taletheme was clearly setup to compete with NBC's "Once upon a Time" which also premiers this week. My verdict: Stick with NBC's offering.

How the hell did they hear the jogger's music? It was playing through her bud earphones. Just how loud did she have that thing cranked up?!
    Speaking of the music, did she just have sweet dreams on loop? It was playing when she began jogging, and it was playing when they found her body (presumably the next day).
    Holy product placement, Batman! Just how much Apple can you fit into one show?!
    He shot a man five times, and there's no investigation by IA?
    When entered the trailer, he walked around with a flashlight. The have lights in those.
    Later, his partner shoots a fleeing man three times I the back. Still no investigation.
    Partner kicks in a door with no warrant because the man was humming a song.
    Again, they run through the cabin with flash lights. You can see a lamp in the background.

• "A Supernatural Rip-Off Without the Charm" was the title of a review I read, and unfortunately I have to agree.

I love genre shows and would like to have another one to watch, but the comparison to Supernatural is unavoidable, and Grimm suffers in the comparison.

First off the protagonist. Sam and Dean, the hunters on Supernatural, are two of the most compelling characters on TV, and absolutely brilliantly portrayed by Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles. In comparison, Nick seems one-dimensional. I feel like I was introduced to a cop who happens to be a hunter of the supernatural, rather than a human being with a personality. I know this is only the pilot, but in Supernatural's first episode, Sam and Dean very quickly came to life as earnest, brainy and sensitive and cocky, tough and funny. The review I read said David Giuntoli (who plays Nick) was "charmless and wooden." I wouldn't go that far, but Nick just didn't come to life for me, nor did I feel anything for him. And like the review, I question the wisdom of casting a reality TV star as your lead actor, instead of someone with a background in acting.

Secondly, Supernatural is genuinely scary. With Grimm, the creepiness factor seemed contrived and overdone, the creepy music and creepy sound effects and creepy lighting seemed forced, and it was annoying me rather than scaring me. Particularly when Nick is searching for the little girl in the woods, and they play this creepy-sounding voice-over of his aunt saying They are coming for you and This is not a fairy tale I thought they were really piling it on. I'm pretty sure I rolled my eyes. Or when they make this big creepy production of Nick mundanely entering a house and finding Marie cutting tomatoes in the kitchen.

Thirdly, Supernatural has its own personality that sets it apart from other shows, as the review said, its charm. For example, its quirky and twisted sense of humor; no one does dark humor like Supernatural. Also, instead of having run-of-the-mill partners, the two leads are brothers, and their rich, multi-layered, intense relationship is the heart of the show. Whereas Grimm feels humorless and heartless.

Fourthly, Supernatural has a very extensive and interesting mythology, and I have to question where Grimm can go with their fairy tale monsters. How many of them can there be? And once you've nabbed one Big Bad Wolf, can there be any interest in going after another? It seems rather limiting.

As far as fairy tales go, I really enjoyed Once Upon a Time, which genuinely felt like it was doing something fresh and different and really utilizing the fairy tale aspect. Plus, Emma really felt like a human being with a personality that I could relate to and whom I cared about. In Grimm, I really only cared about Marie (and probably not just because she is a librarian like me.) Whereas Grimm just feels like it borrows from police procedurals, Supernatural and Once Upon a Time, without borrowing the best parts or fusing them into something new.

• Pilot episode of Grimm

The Pilot episode of Grimm was perfect and the whole team responsible for this masterpiece are to becommemorated for their extraordinary work. The writing was awesome and not afraid to go dark, the actors were perfect in their roles and the cinematography and editing were supreme. I really enjoyed watching this episode because it was a unique version of familiar stories. I can't wait to see how the tales of the Grimm brothers will come to life in this series because I like what I've seen so far! I look forward to finding out more and watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!

• Potential

I think it's fair to say that Grimm actually showed some potential of being a pretty good series in this pilot, it wasnt perfect but it was a decent start, first of all i would like to say i preferred this pilot over the once upon a time pilot i thought this pilot was far moregritty and real and thats what made it quite spooky i would also like to say how well this pilot looked and what a good atmosphere it set,

TNT