Grimm

The Other Side

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Oct 19, 2012 on NBC

• The monster was not the most frightening part of this episode.

Grimm has been scaring audiences with monsters, suspense and surprise attack moments. This episode gave us a new and tangible fear when Captain Renard starts to give in to his magically-induced obsession for Juliette. Bitsie Tullock impressed me with her handling of Juliette's feelings; she reacted the way a girlfriend who values fidelity would react when she has a crush on her boyfriend's boss. She looked guilty and uncomfortable, especially when she drank Hank's drink after agreeing to let Renard drive her home.

Renard's battle seems more like a struggle for control than a wish to keep anyone from being hurt. This seems more evident when he enters her house as she undresses upstairs. Roiz managed to be frightening on a level that connects with people who feel safe in their homes when he walks in without her knowing. We see him try and leave until he hears the shower; we see him slip silently up the stairs and into the bedroom. Juliette appears especially tiny and vulnerable when his very large frame is visible through the shower door. He comes to his senses and leaves but we are left with the memory of his expression. He was hungry for Juliette, not looking to recite poetry. His feelings for her run to the predatory and possessive, not romantic at all. Well-played.