Grimm's Fairy Tales

Nickelodeon (ended 1990)

supercin721

Grimm's Fairy Tales Fan Reviews (3)

7.4
  • Grimm's Tales told in a most endearing and funny way!

I was a huge fan of this show growing up in the 80s (back when Nickelodeon used to be the BEST channel for children) and finding its page on TV.com brings back such good feelings. My favorite episode would have to be "Bluebeard", which is also my mother's favorite, but each story shows kids something to strive for--like kindness, honesty, humility, and intelligence.

The show is animated in the old-school anime style (much like Speedracer and Kiki's Delivery Service) but still high-quality for TV, fluid, and pleasing to the eye. I would be ecstatic if it were brought out on DVD! The English dubbing really isn't bad at all, a tad cheesy at times, but generally very emotional and well-meaning. If you're an 80s child like I am, there's a high probability you loved this show!
  • Excellent choices. They even showed some obscure/less famous tales from the Grimm collection.

Looking back on this show and watching it now, I realize that they're not as PG as most parents would want. And thank goodness for that (for example: "The Coat of Many Colors") Here are some of the stories that were shown (if it is the one that was on Nick):
    Bearskin
    Sister and Brother
    The Six Who Went On Their Way
    Snow White
    Snow White and Rose Red
  • Fairy tales told as they should!

What I really liked about this show back when I was a child was the "happily ever afters." Now as I rewatch the show, I realise that there is more to the stories. They were actually told as written. They are not cleaned up versions as seen done by Disney. These stories included death, the devil, abuse, and other dark themes. Its was like the yin and the yang. For every good there was some evil and the protagonist HAD to defeat the antagonist to achieve happiness. Overall, it is still as good as I remembered it to be.