Grounded for Life

FOX (ended 2005)

Gilmoreism

Grounded for Life Fan Reviews (100)

• If i had reviewed this programme after the first episode i would of rated it a 1/10 but the programme started to grow on me and i started to find some of it funny which would of probaly got it up to a 7/10 but..........

If i had reviewed this programme after the first episode i would of rated it a 1/10 but the programme started to grow on me and i started to find some of it funny which would of probaly got it up to a 7/10 but that lily girl really really annoys me so i bumped it back down to a 5/10.
    In my oppinion this show was weak and im not surprised it was cancelled.
  • Decent show.

In a sea of various sitcoms, this one really stood out because it had a different format than the others. The reason why I liked it was because of the way they told the story. I would lie if I said that I wanted the show to go on, because I felt that they told everything they could have in their five seasons.

The character were very great - each one of them had something that I really loved and what caused me to tune back every time it aired: Sean's protectiveness and the fact that he always got into trouble; Claudia being a sexy mom, yet acting like a teenager at time; Jimmy and Henry growing up into young men, each in their own way - I preferred Henry because he was really quirky. The only character that I didn't really like that much was Eddie. Lily was also an okay character, kinda annoying at times, but otherwise tolerable. Also, Brad was a great addition to the cast.

I loved the show during its 90-or-so episodes, and it is definitely one of the better sitcoms - still, it is kinda lost in the sea of other sitcoms.
  • a hilrious family show

grounded for life is a very disfunatal family that takes place in new york and the kids are always getting into trouble and the dad is sorta really bad at raising his kids but he does the best he can with them . it involes alot like most family show problems and stories that make you want to laugh alot and make you say omg i cant belive that just happend. the show was hit a for awhile and then things just died down . but i watched all the eps of the show and enjoyed them alot so i gave this show a 8
  • An Irish Catholic family goes through funny stories in New York.

Sean and Claudia Finnerty live in Staten Island, New York. They have 3 kids; Lily, Jimmy, and Henry. Also living with them and stopping by is Sean's father Walt Finnerty and Sean's brother Eddie Finnerty. I started watching the show when it debuted on Fox and I thought it was really funny. It was a good show to kill time with when nothing better was on. It was a good comedy with funny plots. I guess people just never picked up on it or they didn't find it when it was on. The show was different to me, The plot a lot of times had actually happened in the past and they were discussing about it in the present, till they caught up and figured out what to do. When the show moved to CW, It was on Friday nights, and I was never around to see it and it was eventually canceled. Overall I graded it a 7.5 out of 10.
  • The Finnerty's yell and argue there way to family joy

This show is really funny and realistic in an outrageous kind of way. Sean, the head of the family, is really hilarious and all of his yelling and irrational decision making leads to a lot of really funny situations. His constant fights with Sister Helen are classic and are really hilarious. Claudia is great as the teenage mother at 30 who is trying to deal with all the craziness around her. Eddie adds so much comedy to this show with all of his shady dealings and his crazy girlfriends. I love how he ends up with Crazy Amy at the end who mixes really well with his personality.
    The kids are also really great. Henry the youngest added a lot of easy humor to the show and he was at his best when he was on the drug squad and trying to bust his father. Jimmy's character develops a lot from the dorky youth whose afraid of everything to the dorky horny teen. He gave that character depth even thought my description didn't.
    And finally Lily who was as outrageous as Sean in this series and she brings a lot of humor to the show. A lot of times when women are in comedies they only play off the other characters but she creates a lot of humor on her own. I loved all of her boyfriends especially Dean and Brad. Brad was a constant on the show that led to a lot of great moments.
    Overall a really great family comedy that is more grown up.
  • Grounded for Life

Sean Finnerty and his lovely wife, Claudia, became parents right out of high school. Now 32, they struggle to keep their lives (and three children) under control. Claudia is a hostess at a swank restaurant, and Sean works in the subway tunnels. Working 9 to 5 and having three kids to maintain isn't an easy task, but they're doing the best that they can. Oldest daughter Lily, 14, is more than a handful. At that age where she thinks the world revolves around her, Lily devours the majority of the Finnerty's free time. Her little brother, Jimmy, is bookish to say the least, and stays out of trouble -- for the most part. And then there's the baby of the family, Henry, who's just a little off. Hyperactive and mischievous, Henry is usually secondary when it comes to problematic children.

Helping Sean and Claudia deal with the brood is Sean's father, Walt, a crotchety man whose idea of a learning experience is teaching the boys how to dig a hole. If he hadn't been a father, he would have been a drill sergeant. Also helping to lighten the load is Sean's younger brother, Eddie, an unemployed stoner who spends his time hanging out with friends and "unknowingly" selling beepers to drug dealers.

Over its first season the show evolved a unique take on standard sitcom structure. Each episode begins with a family crisis "explained" in flashbacks from various character's points of view, often overlapping, sometimes contradicting each other as we learn to distinguish what the narrators THINK happened from what we eventually learn REALLY happened. Since the Finnertys are at least nominally practicing Catholics, this usually involves issues of blame, responsibility, and guilt, guilt, guilt.

In the third season, Grandpa Walt was phased out of the show (though he may appear in upcoming episodes). Sean and Eddie pooled their money and bought a bar (which Eddie initially intended to torch for the insurance money), which becomes the home away from home for the family. Music plays a big role in this series. Original music was written/performed by Ben Vaughn and Ween. The majority of the titles of the episodes are derived from pop songs.

Grounded for Life is a great comedy movie.
  • Nice show.

"Grounded for Life" is a live action sitcom that now airs on ABC Family. It centers around a blue collar family. It has a laugh track that sometimes doesnt fit the show and I have to take off for that. I still liek it though. I have whatever episode they offered for download on itunes on my ipod and i sometime tend to watch it alot, sometimes not. Sometimes im really in to it, sometimes im not. The comedy is really funny though. i love it so much. its the best thing of the show. I hate that it got canceled
  • This was a great but under appreciated series!

Started out on FOX, became a hit, canceled by FOX, rescued by WB, dropped by the WB, syndicated by FOX Family.... this wonderful, funny show has been struggling for a long time for the respect it deserves. It's not a bad show; it's actually quite under-appreciated, but then, only the fans seem to love it. It had a revolutionary style that started with the end and then flashed back on the events that got them there. The back story was that Donal Logue, the happy go-lucky husband, and Megyn Price, the hot-looking wife, were teenage parents trying to get by with their demurely sexy daughter Lynsey Bartilson and feuding sons, Griffin Frazen and Jake Burbage (who mysteriously vanished but still spoken of just before the last season). Their lives were tested by the idiot brother, Uncle Eddie, a possible shady character who didn't understand why he was always in trouble, played by Kevin Corrigan; while Sean just never tured round and beat the crap out of him I'll never know. Richard Reihle, the widowed father with out-dated parenting tips and Bret Harrison, the kind of nerdy and socially-inept neighbor kid with the hots for the daughter. The show had a surprisingly winning formula and the stars all had excellent chemistry, but very little faith by the networks. Riehle, the consummate character actor, even left to co-star in ABC's short-lived hit, "Married to the Kellys," and even faithfully returned for the last episode while the youngest son remained inexplicably and noticeably became missing, something that was never explained (Burbage's parents moved at the end of his contract). Several things occurred in the series that took the characters away from their original roles: the dad quit his job to save his favorite bar and fight to keep it open, the mom quit his job to go to college, the uncle tried going legit but still remained basically demented and crooked while the daughter took the next door boy as her boyfriend after realizing he was the kind of guy she wanted. Oddly, of all the strange incidents that happened in the series, the one incident that stands out in my mind never occurred in the series. For a promo to his movie "Big Fat Liar," Frankie Munez of "Malcolm in the Middle" described an up-coming episode with Lily the daughter growing to a hundred feet tall and turning her parents into finger puppets then confessing he was lying. Still, that's an image that has never left my mind and as Fox Family brings the series back, that image will remain my picture of the style and crazy wit of this series. For me, the show ended too soo, I'd like to have seen it end with Sean finally making it and Eddie off to prison.
  • We had way to much fun during the 80's and all we got was this lousy family...

I absolutely loved this show. This was a case where a great show got caught up in a lot of network mumbo jumbo. Also i loved how the show used the idea of flashbacks to tell a story. Usually you see the idea of flashbacks in more dramatic works so i actually thought it was very groundbreaking to use this idea for a comedy. Also i like it when middle class families are portrayed on tv. Especially middle class families that are more along the edge. Also it was a breath of fresh air to see a family who was YOUNG. Rarely have u seen parent who are only 18 years older than their children portrayed in a light hearted sort of way.
    This along with "Still Standing" has to be one of my favorite shows. I wish this show could have stayed on longer but unfortunately it got sent to the television graveyeard before its prime. I think at least another season could have been made with the Finnerty family's new baby and Lily being in college but still living at home. I highly recommend this show to anyone who is just looking for a funny show to kick back and laugh at.
  • Highly enjoyable ;-)

I love grounded for life!
    Its about the day to day life of a young couple who are still very much missing there Teenage period of life and who now are raising three kids.
    This show is fun and the format is cool. Something happens and the episode starts after the thing happened and throughout the episode, the incident is taled. I like that concept.
    The characters are so fun. Sean Finnerty is the crazy dad. He is still so teen in his head. His wife, Claudia Finnerty played by hot Megyn Price tries to keep him on track but she herself is also still kinda teen in her head. The children are funny and well payed. Also Sean brother, Eddy is the sort of "corrupted-love-fun" brother type. Add all these along with some other characters, all interacting brilliantly, we get some great comedy time. Highly recommended.
  • family show with twist.

I first started watching Grounded For Life after it had gone off the air and it became a regular re-run show on ABC family. At first I was a little iffy about the show, and I didnt like it that much. But after I watched it more and more I really started to like it. What I like most about it is that it isnt like most other family shows where the family is all perfect. This show is so quirky and I love all of the characters and each of their story lines and what they have to bring. I wish that this show hadn't gone off the air but I still have the re-runs.
  • Really funny show about an everyday family. I wish it didn't end.

This show is really really funny, about an everyday family trying to get through everday life. The characters are funny. An obnoxious dad, a down to earth mom, teenaged girl, two annoying brothers, an uncle who is in touch with everyone, and a comedic grandfather. Every episode is funny. I like how the show does flash backs. Kinda like Lost, but nothing like it. I like to watch the re runs sometimes. I wish they didn't end this show. hm. i would have still watched the show if it was still going on. But even so one of the funniest shows of all time.
  • I wouldn't mind if this show came back. It won't now but I thought the show was funny and had some unique storylines in it that kept viewers watching.

Grounded for Life is not your normal comedy sitcom. It is about a family that lives in Stanton Island, New York. The husband and wife were high school sweet hearts who live with his father. They have a daughter and 2 sons. It is just like a normal sitcom but it has a twist. The show usually sees the children doing something and the parents catching them and yelling at them or the father doing something and the wife catching him or vise versa. Stil sounds liek a sitcom. But most of the time what they were caught doing was sexual, stealing, lying, or someting else int that area. That oculd hav ebee why it wasn't a hugely watched sitcom like other shows were/are. It did have an avid run of 4 years I think it was. I liked the show but no doubt I could see why others didn't.
  • Such a quirky show!

This show is nothing short of awesome! Anyone who likes comedy but doesn't like this show needs a cat scan, because this is THE funniest sitcom (If you can even call it that) you will ever watch...period!

Its about a couple who started having kids when they were still in high school. This is one of the few shows where every character contributes to the comedy in their own way, which keep the laughs flowing.

Not one character in this show is dry, everyone is funny. Of course i think it was season 4 where one of the characters, Henry Finnerty, played by Jake Burbage, left the show. The show sucked after that. Everyone else was still themselves, but you either take the whole unit or you take none at all. Missing one member of the cast, no matter WHO it is, is like watching Power Rangers with no red ranger. It just doesnt feel right.

It also didn't help that they never mentioned Henry in the show after he left. But overall this show is awesome, and you should definately check it out.
  • A funny show about a husband and wife, an uncle and their kids just dealing with life as it comes.

This show is absolutly hilarious but yet very serious at the same time. It has its hilarious moments but it also talks about serious issues. The actors do an excellent job playing each one of the characters. They are all people that you could probably look up to.
    This show is really good and if you havent watched it before i suggest you do because it is really good, a personal favorite of mine.
  • I love this show!!!

I love watching this show. I even have the season 2 DVD sets and will probably get seasons 3, and 4. Sometimes the episodes got boring but it was still a good show. My favorite character is probably Jimmy and my least favorite character is Eddie. He annoyed me a little. This show is about a husband and wife named Sean and Claudia. They have 3 three kids, Lily, Jimmy and Henry. It just shows their life but i think a lot of the episodes centered around Lily and Sean. Theres also the kid's uncle, Eddie and thier grandpa, Walt and their next door neighbor, Brad.
  • grounded for life is...

Grounded For Life was a great show. Still is in fact, even though it was cancelled. It is a flashback/ clip show and is very good despite that fact. Most shows like this usually are horrible and don't last long at all, but this one is different. I'm not sure how to convey my love of this show. Grounded for Life follows the Finnerty's(Shawn, Claudia, Lily, Jimmy, and Henry), Shawn's father and his brother Eddie.
  • This hilarious show is about a family living on Long Island who deal with problems that every family does, but they do it in a funny way

This show is freakin' hilarious! I watch it every chance I get, and laugh all the while. But I don't always get the jokes. I love the person who plays Eddie's acting style. He's funny every time he opens his mouth! I'm surprised by the number of people who have not heard of this show. If more people knew about it, they'd all love it. It deals with serious issues in a funny way that we wish would happen in real life. You never know what will happen in each new episode, and one thing I love about this show is how it tells you a plot of an episode using flashbacks.
  • Pretty good!

7.4
    There aren't many sitcoms worth watching on TV, but 'Grounded For Life' is the exception. A fresh approach, an intelligent look at family life, and a wry sense of humor bring 'Grounded' head and shoulders above the other lame competitors in the field.

Are there other original sitcoms out there... yes, if you search long and hard. But this brings together elements that haven't seen the little screen and leave you screaming with laughter.

The buzz is low but good on this one. I encourage everyone to watch it, otherwise another bright, intelligent bit of TV will bite the dust.
  • This is the best family ever!

Grounded for life is the perfect mix of Reality and Fantasy... Its shows what typical famlies go through.... Credit cards becoming Declined..Boys, Girls, Weird Uncles.... It shows everything kids go through as well as adults dealing with kids... How could they cancel this?? it makes no sence!!!They should bring it back for a few more seasons... This show is a timless classic that will never be thrown out the window... 20, 30, 40, 50 years from now people will still rmeber it even if its been playing on Tv land or even Nick at Night.... Its Really an A-W-E-S-O-M-E
    Show
  • Grounded for Life is a great, fun, show!

Grounded for life is the kind of show you can watch if you are angry or upset with someone or about something. It is a relaxing kind of show, where the parents really dont' know what they are doing. Lily, the oldest and the only daughter, is the most like her mom, which is why her father, Sean worries about her. Jimmy, the oldest son, if smart and more of the adult in the house. Henry is the youngest and Sean and Claudia always have to watch out for him. Unlce Eddie, Sean's brother, is also a frequent character who helps the kids and dates many women from time to time. This is just the kind of show to watch after a long day, or just because it is a great show!
  • Why did the cancel this show

Grounded for life was so FUNNY I mean the actors were all great but of course an other great show gets cancled this and that 70's show were great comdeys Grounded for Life it got cancled of course then It came on ABC Family and I was so happy but after like a year they took off and put it on at 2:00 pm and that was fine but then they took it off again and put back on Step by step I don't know what's with ABC and their scheduling but they really need to put Grounded for Life back on again!
  • Oh, dear...

Sean and Claudia are a really great couple! They have a few things to work together, but they manage to do things the way they should be! And Eddie, oh dear, Eddie was awesome, an uncle like him, who needs enemies? Lilly is also great! Sadly the show got cancelled!
  • a family and the things they face

This show is good for a laugh or two. It is well written and organized, I think the characters are formed fromt he actors/actresses the ages were perfect for the family i think a small glitch was having the youngest child, Henry,leave the show in the last year of filming. The over all is good with Lily dating her geeky neighbor and sharing something *special* with him in an ep the show never seems to get boring but i recomened not watching any ep more than 3 times because you get to know the show to good and it becomes boring and uninteresting
  • This reality show is very factual and interesting. It shows what can happen in real life. And the consquences actions can bring with them. Mostly with teens and young parenting and activitys.Also its most exciting yet it is also quite funny but factual.

This reality show is very factual and interesting. It shows what can happen in real life. And the consquences actions can bring with them. This show shows what the consequences are when you get pregnant young. This show shows how familys with problems can be not problem filled but fun and interesting. It shows the advantages and disadvantages of young parent hood and children having young parents. Lilly is more of the reabelious type but thats what make her Lilly. Henry is the youngest and most childish I would expect him to be more mature but then again he is the youngest. Jimmy I think is the most mature and definatly the most attractive. Claudia is sort of wild but keeps to her self. Sean theres not alot that can describe Sean but imature. Eddy is just a trouble maker he gives a bad name to the family all he dose is feed of hid brothers and fathers money. Sean and Eddys dad is more of the old fasion type even though he got his girlfriend soon to be wife pregnant at leats their older then Claudia and Sean were. This is what makes this show so interesting and factual but most of all exciting. Oh yes and Brad what to say about Brad. Brad is Lillys boyfrend and sort of on the corkey slash geeky side. Oh and Dean. Dean is Lilly's exboyfriend that she almost went all the way with but he didn't really love her. But she wound up doing it with Brad instead. I knew they would wind up together.
  • Canceled to soon

While I don't think it was ever going to be a immense success I really thought that this show was the only one of it's kind, with cast members that you could say the same about. It brought a different dysfunctional kind of humor to television and was defenitely a show for teenagers.
  • Give it back! NOW!

I loved this show. Why doesnt it come back? I love all the characters they are all so funny.

Walt- Always funny. but can sometimes be controlling. gotta love the father in law
    Claudia-Haha shes the hot mom on the block. she's funny the way she freaks out
    Eddie-Haha what a sketchy guy, but we all love him. he always "knows a guy"
    Lily-Typicla teenager haha. do i have to say anything else?
    Sean-funny. alot like claudia. i can see why they're married haha
    Jimmy-jimmy always seems so insecure. but it makes for a good show haha Henry- this kid does not know when hes crossed the line haha. Brad- what a horny little bastard. thats all i have to say

they need to bring this show back. or at least have a reunion or something
  • This show is so funny, every character is hilarious.

I love this show, but I admit it took a while for me to come around. At first I used to glance here and there and laugh at a few jokes, but soon i bagan to catch onto their quick witted humor as weel as hilarious slapstic comedy. Every character is great and they all bring a certain thing to the table. Henry is hilarious as the little boy who asks all the wrong questions at the right time. I didn't like the younger Jimmy, buth in the last season he was hilarious. Lily is soo hilarious, I love when she get so mad she has to shriek. that is so funny to me. Claudia has her moments, but she plays a great straight man to Sean and Eddie. Walt always has smoe smart comment to throw in the consversation, and should have been kept throughout. Brad was corny at first and somewhat gay, but once him and lily started going out he was the star. He is a great physical comedian. Sean is probably the funniest on the show, and it makes me laugh when he keeps screwing up. Eddie at first was annoying, i thought his character was trying to hard. But now I know better and can always count on him for a laugh. this is a show you have to watch three or four times to settle into the humor, but once you do it's great. I wish they would have kept the show going it had tons of possibilities, but unfortunatly the WB killed it. Death to the WB!!!
  • Why was it cancelled?

It was a great show. In Staten Island, there was a guy, his wife, his brother, his dad, and his kids. The wife was great. The brother was funny. The dad was good. Jimmy was good. Henry sucks. Lily's okay. Really, it was a good show. Why was it cancelled? Because Henry left? It was good that Henry left. I hated Henry. Lily's not that bad. She has some redeeming qualities. One bad thing is that the show has been copied by a rip-off show. The War At Home. The War At Home is horrible. Grounded For Life? Great! It's good. It's very good.
  • Awesome

I love this show! It is always laugh out loud funny, no matter what the situation. I think that it is always hilarious to see something that would actually happen in a family happen to a tv family. Although in real life people wouldn't act the way the Finnertys do on a daily basis. I like the interaction between the father, Sean, and the daughter, Lily. The whole family is very stereotypical, but it makes for a good storyline. I think that Lily is the character that is the most stereotypical about how teenage girls act. Definitaly in my top 5 shows list.
< 1 2 3 4