Growing Pains

ABC (ended 1992)

CaptainMidnight

Growing Pains Fan Reviews (40)

• Okay show.

This was a show that was basically a show in which I watched if there wasn't anything else on the television set. I don't think it was at all bad, just kind of boring. I like most of the 90's shows, so this falls in that category. The best aspect of the show is the characters. They all seemed to blend in rather well, but I must say that they kind of got boring at times. Generally, I think that a show like this is rather bland at times, but compared to the shows today, Growing Pains is a decent show. Thank you.
  • an ok show for its time!

7.3
    This show is ok but like others I remember this show so much differently years back. I guess I was young, I don\'t know. It is still a decent show but has some cookiness to it, look at the father a psychiatrist as to how he raises his children as you can find some humor here that is where it doesn\'t belong sometimes. Sometimes the shows were really good and unforgettable like the episode where carols boyfriend dies, that touched my heart but it had it\'s fallbacks on some of the episodes.
  • A classic show!

The Seavers are a modern family with everyday problems. I loved this show. It was always hilarous and a guilty pleasure in the 90's. Mike Seaver, the charming trouble maker, was the cutest boy toy at that time. Carol, the nerdy sister, was the character that I related to most. We both are the " middle child". It was always a blast. I enjoyed watching the show whenever it comes. I loved the series and furthermore, the movies. The movies were terrific and did not do any harm to the series. Overall, this show was great while it lasted. Great classic!! !!
  • "Groin Pains" thats what some guy I used to know called it. Could never say the W and the G.

It was a decent show and I did watch it up until the very end but looking back it was kind of a cookie cutter 80s sitcom family. The blow dried 80s Professional Dad, the somewhat hot Mom with poofy 80s hair, the studly older brother who strutted around trying to score, the attractive somewhat younger sister whom the older brother always fought with and a younger wisecracking sibling. It was basically alot like Family Ties except the parents werent aging hippies and the younger sibling was a boy instead of a girl.

Reruns of this show recently began and I watched a few. I was left with a feeling like I had just been to the dentist and spent 30 minutes reading a magazine. It seemed better when I originally watched it during the late 80s.
  • The Seavers

Mike, Carol, and Ben were probably my favorite kids in the world. The whole family was great, but I really loved the kids in particular. Especially when the added the young and very precocious Luke (aka Leonardo Decaprio) with no real sold explination but I still loved him. Mike was probably my favortie character, though as time went by Kirk Cameron's life style changes conflicted a little with the characters actions he was still the adorable "bad boy" Mike Seaver we all known and loved.
  • Average but nice

Entertaining. Probably average, that's true, it's almost like any family show from the 80s but in spite of that it was a fine show.
    Good characters and a good way to spend half an hour (at least when I was a child that's the time that i watched it).
    The problem is that, like any other family show they wanted to give a message (that, i don't like).
  • Watched it before and it was ok.

I have heard about this show from other people on here, and tv and in general. I watch Full House, so I know about Kirk and Candace Cameron. I have also heard of most of the rest of the cast, including the father, Joanna Kerns, Tracey Gold, and Kirk Cameron. I watched just one episode late at night when I was not that tired but not too energetic and it was still hilarious and I wasn't that tired because I was laughing too much. However, a lot of the jokes were ok, I just find different things to be funny or joke than others.

Growing Pains is good and I would like to watch some other episodes.
  • A wonderful family show.

I wonder where all the family shows like this went? Nowadays there is almost nothing you can sit down and watch with your children on regular TV. Even in the early hours of the evening most of the shows are unsuitable for family viewing. I wonder why those in programing can't give the hours of 7-8 to family shows, just one hour, just a few times a week! I'm not old, and I can remember growing up there was at least one family show (sitcom) on almost every night. I have some great memories of laughing while watching shows with my family. It would be great to create some of those same memories with my own family.
  • Sometimes good, sometimes bad

Growing Pains was a successful ABC sitcom about the Seaver family making their way through life. Jason and Maggie Seaver, two loving parents, raising their three children: Mike Seaver, the troublesome teenager, Carol Seaver, the brainy middle child, and Ben Seaver, the cute youngest son. Jason, a psychiatrist, works out of his house and takes care of the children so that his wife, Maggie, can pursue her career in journalism.

As the years go by, many changes occur. Mike graduates high school and begins class at Alf Landon Community College, at which time he proceeds to move out, but only to live above the garage. Maggie gets pregnant and gives birth to another daughter, Chrissy and switches roles with Jason as she decides to stay home with the kids while he moves his practice to an actual office. The Seavers also take in a troubled young homeless boy by the name of Luke in the final season
  • nice show for the family. totally 80s. Predecessor of Seventh Heaven.

Good show. Funny but more of if you wanna reminsice or be nostalgic about the 80s. This was in the prime or heart of the 80s. Very good show. Lots of lessons to be learned. Kirk Cameron (sister of Candace Cameron from Full House) was so hott. So was ben seaver! Carol was a nerd but she was smart and it got her far! The wife and dad were nice too but a bit strict but it's cool since that's how their lived in the 80s back then. Well, I've got nothing else to write, but it has to be 100 words long so...
  • Wow, I miss this show!

I remember coming home from school and watching this on the Disney channel. I really think I only watched it because my sisters would always watch it, then I grew to watch myself. Seriously now, Mike had a friend named Boner, and Chrissie had a dream that the rest of the family were having a party after she went to bed, seeing Luke jump off the bannister to open a bag of patato chips was always great. I love the show.
  • Great show.

Growing Pains was my favorite show when it was on the air. Bring it Back. Even if it is just repeats. I want to see it again. Well anyway, the show is about a family (Seaver's) and their problems growning up. Mr. and Mrs. Seaver had four children. The show tells about there life growing up. This show is a comedy and also a drama for when the emotional parts are. Babies are born and people do die in this show, but that is like everyones life. Growing Pains is an amazing show. Watch when it comes on, you will like it. I really hope it will come back on soon.
  • Another Tv family better than yours.

I think that if it wasn't for Mike Seaver, this show would have been simply good, but with his help, it is one of the best sitcoms ever. I am not saying the rest of the characters are boring, they are very special too, but Mike Seaver is the engne that keeps this show running. Most of the episodes revolve around him and his unusual ways of dealing with life issues. I also like Ben Seaver a lot and i feel more related to him. The whole family has that special touch that makes it go far beyond other sitcoms. To me it is the family many people would hav eliked to be part of.
  • A show I used to love watching, and probably always will!!

Since buying the first season on DVD, I have come to the conclusion that my obsession with family stems from growing up watching all those family sitcoms where everyone was close. Growing Pains is without a doubt my favorite family sitcom.

Everybody loved Mike Seaver, the "bad boy" who wasn't really all that bad, played by the adorable Kirk Cameron. I'd forgotten how funny Jason could be. I actually loved every single character on this show. They were well developed, well written, and well acted. I hope the rest of the seasons get put out on DVD soon, because I will buy them all up!
  • Growing Pains was about a family of five who lived on Long Island, New York. Jason Seaver, a psychiatrist, who had his practice at home. Maggie, his wife, was a journalist who worked for the Long Island newspaper and later got a job as the news anchor.

I use to watch this show everyday pretty much or when it came on and I caught it on television. The series was about a family that went though everyday issues ans sometimes non-everyday issues. Anyway, this movie was good for the whole family to watch and I think it use to air on Disney Channel. I am glad I was able to watch this series. If anybody go looking for this series then all the luck to you. I can not wait until they air another old series because it might being it back on the television like some shows I heard about.
  • It's just amazing!

I've been watching reruns of this show on the ontario network CTS since fall 2001 and at this point I'm seeing every episode for the 7th (?) time. I've grown familiar with every character and almost every episode, this show is awesome. It's corny at times but you really gotta love the whole concept of it, no wonder it lasted for such a successful 7 years. There's even recognizable now-big-name guest stars at times, such as Brad Pitt and Matthew Perry. It's funny, wholesome, and an all-around great classic sitcom.
  • A perfect family

A perfect family as I know, a family I was longing to have, but now, I am going to build my own like Seavers. The drama takes people to think more about life and family. When you really need help, family is there for you. I got good parents, and will be a good dad and build my own perfect family now. I think this drama is successful, not only it got a lot of people to enjoy it, but a lot of people are trying to learn from it and get a better life, a better relation, a stronger family tie through watching this beautiful family drama.
    As their song below,

Show me that smile again, (Oh, show me that smile)
    Don't waste another minute on your cryin',
    We're nowhere near the end (We're no where near)
    The best is ready to begin.
    As long as we've got each other,
    We got the world spinnin' right in our hands,
    Baby you and me, we gotta be,
    The luckiest dreamers who never keep dreaming.
    As long as we keep on givin'
    We can take anything that comes our way
    Baby, rain or shine
    All the time
    We got each other
    Sharin' the laughter and love
  • This show is and was wonderful. Bring it back!!

This show is and was wonderful. Bring it back!! Today, I was watching E! true hollywood story.. I was disappointed to find out that the writers quit after false accusations. I miss this show so much, and I grew up watching this. This is one of my all time favorite shows.

I think that the reunion specials are boring.. I want to see this who come back for good.. maybe when the three kids have children themselves or something along those lines. I miss watching this amazing show.. and I know a lot of other people feel the same way. Bring Back Growing Pains, Please!
  • For all Time the best TV Show. French website of the TV serie : http://www.growingpains.fr

Excellent !!! What a great TV serie ! Thanks a lot for unbeleavables moments to Alan, Joanna, Kirk, Travey, Jeremy and Ashley and the others actors. We'll love You for ever ! :)
    Need NOW the Growing Pains Saison 2 in DVD !!!! :)
    We have a great pleasure to see all yours adventures in the first season, but now, we are wating for the NEXT ! How much time before the release ! It's too long ! I hope that the Warner will hear all the fans ! Growing pains for ever, growing pains rules the TV !

French web site : www.growingpains.fr
  • This is the best show on Earth.

Terrific program! Ahhhhhhhhh! I´m gona die if you keep trashing it! What´s wrong with you people?! It´s really underrated, having an avg. score of 8.6?! And it keeps decreasing!!! At least 9.0, the minimum. It is better than ANY show. I´m really dissapointed of you Americans. All my family loved it.
    It was amazing, of the best to ever happen on TV. It was a unique show with a great humor. And also the funniest sitcom. Anyways, it was so funny and cleverly made. Jason Seaver, being the father was the most important character on the show. He was psychiatric, who works in home. He was vey funny and a great father.
    There´s also Maggie Seaver, the mom. She was a good mother, you know the usual role of a mother.
    Mike Seaver, who takes all the credits of the show. Kirk Cameron. Well, he was the funniest. With a Great personality.
    Carol Seaver, the smart of the family. She was very funny, and kinda nerd.
    Benjamin Seaver, he started with the role of a silly little brother, like Mike at his ages. Also there was other characters.
    Growing pains was a masterpiece. I´m still not getting enough of this.
    It develops with a long from 1985-1992. Eight years in the life of the Seavers. They grew, all the characters got older, and dealt with life. The adolescence, the childhood, and the way to beacame to the adult age.
    Think whatever you want rare people, I think this.
    What an excellent show is GROWING PAINS!
  • this show is really good

wow it been like 10 years ago since i saw this show i came to usa in 1992 and when i watch disney channel for the first this show was on it. i come home from school and watch this show air at 3pm or something and then a reapet at night. now i want to this show again on tv how it was in the old times. this show is so funny and cool and it a great family show. tell us how to grow up on things and stuff. that why the call it growing pains
  • i love this show!

this show rox my sox!Ben just so happens to be my favourite character!my favourite episode was when Ben got tonsilitis and he has to go for surgery it was so funny!...and the time when somebody robbed the seavers..i found that funny too!well i have not much to say but this show is cool!
  • bring it back please........

If you compar me as a person to this show you would see no conection but my life and this show is so connected like iremember watching ths on disney and laughing and sighing maybe the occasional crying but thats how real it was my favorite episode was the whole series because like i know it's a different show different race and all but it reminds me of fammily matters lol but no lie like the plots messages and every thing are so similar but then again my opion lolbut yeah i've seen the finaly it was aight but it didn't cover the whole show you know what i mean?
  • A great show that was a must see for kids growing up in the 80's

Growing up in the 80's a kid watched among other things, Growing Pains and Who's the Boss.... Guys wanted to be like Mike (hmm is that wehere They got that for Jordon?) and loved Samanatha, and the girls Loved Mike and wated to be friends with Sam...
    Aylssa Milano and Kirk Cameron were two of the biggest kids stars of the 80's and unlike many childhood actors they did not fall to drugs and alcohol. In fact Kirk is heavly into religion these days and has his own website about his religion and Alyssa is still a hugh Actress on TV. Growing pains for me was just like real life in that I had friends like Mikes and a friend with a family pretty close to his tv family. It was just a refreshing show that kids today can't appreciate but kids back then loved.
  • What a great old comedy. This show should come back and teach some lessons to today's youth.

What a great old comedy. This show should come back and teach some lessons to today's youth. Alan Thicke not only stared in the show as Dr. Jason Roland Seaver, but also wrote the theme song. he has written many TV theme songs over the years. His wife Maggie was played by Joanna Kerns. She is also the sister of an Olympic swimmer. the two kids that were the biggest stars were Kirk Cameron who played Mike and Tracey Gold who played Carol. Leonardo DiCaprio also had a small role on the show. The show was very funny and everything worked really well.

• Another great 1980's family comedy.

What a great old family comedy. This show should come back and teach some lessons to today's younger generation. Alan Thicke not only stared in the show as Dr. Jason Roland Seaver, but also wrote the theme song. He has written many TV theme songs over the years. His wife Maggie was played by Joanna Kerns. She is also the sister of an Olympic swimmer. the two kids that were the biggest stars were Kirk Cameron who played Mike and Tracey Gold who played Carol. Tracey later had a well publicized eating disorder but i think she got help and is fine today.Leonardo DiCaprio also had a small role on the show. The show was very funny and everything worked really well. A very, very funny show. It is worth your time to watch.
  • so funny

One of the best shows from the 80's
    Admit it- everyone back then loved Kirk Cameron!
    The whole show covered everything! Kind of like a modern day 1/2 hr epi of 7th Heaven- but much more funny, even though it had serious parts. I loved this show. The Cosby show was right up there with it!
  • Growing nice stuff...

I used to love watching Growing Pains, I watched all the show, like no other show, I just love Joanna Kern's character. Ben is the best, his life was full of weird and strange things, however, his jokes were the best ones. I miss this family so much. They're awesome...
  • Mike always in trouble, carol the nagging, pain in the butt sister and Ben the tag along, copy-cat brother is what it's all about. But of course there is Maggie and jason Seaver, the caring and loving parents everyone wishes they could have.

I used to watch it religiously after school when I was younger and it became one of my most favorite sitcoms. One season is out, I have it and I hope they keep coming out. A classic and a must own set. Mike always gives me laughs and the drama and problems that occur are similar to what occurs in reality. I highly suggest this show.
  • Top of the 80's!

One of the best shows from the 80's
    Admit it- everyone back then loved Kirk Cameron!
< 1 2