Growing Pains

Second Chance

Aired Unknown Apr 12, 1989 on ABC

• One of the best episodes in the series - excellent balance of emotion, but still keeping that comedy in.

Every single time I get to see this episode, I cry. Carol's boyfriend gets in a car accident after drunk driving. After she goes to see him at the hospital and they talk about the accident, she tells him that he is lucky for this second chance in life. When she gets home, Mike is waiting and tells her that Sandy has passed away from internal hemorrhaging. Carol is shocked as she has just spoken to him and was elated that he was feeling better...the episode ends with her asking, "What happened to his second chance?" Tracey Gold does some beautiful acting in last minutes of the episode - she goes through denial, anger and grief all in just a few minutes and she plays each one to perfection. Kirk Cameron also does a fine job playing the somber brother with some bad news...and not quite knowing how to relay it. The family coming together at the end tugs at heart strings. This was one of the best episodes in the Growing Pains series - teaches a serious life lesson, deals with grief and death but still throws a little comedy in to make it a little lighter. I also like that they don't just forget this happened to Carol - they do deal with it in later episodes when she is reluctant to date. Classically great television - there should be more shows like this one!
  • Carol is in complete shock and disbelief that her boyfriend Sandy has died. At first, Carol doesn't believe her family and says they are lying and that Sandy can't be dead because she just saw him. This episode broke my heart - so much emotion!

So many tears! When I first saw this episode I thought Sandy was going to live and was SHOCKED when he ended up dying - Tracy was wonderful in portraying the emotion of losing her love in such a tragic way. Haven't seen this episode in years but still get choked up thinking about it. One of the best episodes. I can still envision Carol sobbing in the arms of her family (which I really liked because Mike was included even though Mike and Carol were always fighting it showed how much he knew she needed the comfort of family).
  • Sandy ends up in the hospital after a drunk driving crash. After a visit with Sandy, Carol comes home to find out Sandy just died from internal bleeding.

Sandy ends up in the hospital after a drunk driving crash. After a visit with Sandy, Carol comes home to find out Sandy just died from internal bleeding. It does not matter how many times I watch this episode, I still end up bawling like a baby. Tracy Gold does a great job making you believe that she was truly in love. And we learn an important lesson about drinking and driving.