Guiding Light Forums

CBS (ended 2009)

It's Official - Guiding Light Canceled!

jamie106

[1]Apr 1, 2009
    • level: 12

Soap Opera Digest has learned that the cast and crew of GUIDING LIGHT were notified today that yes, the 72-year-old show has been canceled and will turn out the light in September. "Being on the air for more than seven decades is truly remarkable, and it will be difficult for all of us at the show to say goodbye," said Executive Producer Ellen Wheeler in a statement. "I'm proud of everything we've been able to do, including outstanding storytelling, our community service around the country with Find Your Light and the launch of our new production model. This show has such a rich history, wonderful fans, and I'm honored to have been a part of the GL legacy."

I don't know what to say. I'm absolutely sick about this. And to announce it on April Fools Day. I've experienced first hand the heartbreak of many soap cancellations, but I think this may very well be the darkest day in the history of daytime...

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Adam_Dicy

[2]Apr 1, 2009
    • level: 88
    jamie106 wrote:

Soap Opera Digest has learned that the cast and crew of GUIDING LIGHT were notified today that yes, the 72-year-old show has been canceled and will turn out the light in September. "Being on the air for more than seven decades is truly remarkable, and it will be difficult for all of us at the show to say goodbye," said Executive Producer Ellen Wheeler in a statement. "I'm proud of everything we've been able to do, including outstanding storytelling, our community service around the country with Find Your Light and the launch of our new production model. This show has such a rich history, wonderful fans, and I'm honored to have been a part of the GL legacy."

I don't know what to say. I'm absolutely sick about this. And to announce it on April Fools Day. I've experienced first hand the heartbreak of many soap cancellations, but I think this may very well be the darkest day in the history of daytime...

Quite frankly, I'm not surprised to hear about GL's cancellation, the show's pretty much went downhill when they the new design of Springfield, and since they got rid of the best actors Jerry ver Dorn, Paul Anthony Stewart, Nancy St. Alban, etc, in 2002 the ratings started to decline and such forth, I started watching it again when Grant Aleksander returned after being gone for 5 years, and started to enjoy it again.

R.I.P Guiding Light 1937-2009.

Jared3648

[3]Apr 1, 2009
    • level: 11

SUCH sad news. I just read about it and am still in shock.

I really thought GL would get to turn at least 75 (just 3 more years!).

This is devastating news.

Sherasbear

[4]Apr 1, 2009
    • level: 61
    I am truly devastated! I love this show and I will miss it greatly...

ammer73

[5]Apr 1, 2009
    • level: 1

I am so upset of the news. I have been watching Guiding Light since I have been a young kid. That is all my mom would watch and now that is all I watch.

All my love and support to the cast, I love you all and will miss you. This is the only soap opera, I watch. I wish they would think

about movie it to the evening. Even the 7 o'clock slot. I wish I could meet the cast. I am from a small town in Pa. Best of wishes to all and I am so

sorry.

halogurl10

[6]Apr 1, 2009
    • level: 8
    i hope this isn't some twisted april fools joke. it is horrible that it is ending. it will be very sad to see it go. lets just hope that whatever replaces it is half as good.

kpatricia

[7]Apr 1, 2009
    I think it is just awful that they even think about taking this soap off. I have watched this program since I was about 9 yearsold I am now 62. This is the best way to unwind after a day at work. I love to sit and relax, watch someone else in everyday life. I tape this show everyday because it starts before I get home from work. If you only knew how upset I get when they don't air because of sports or what ever you would never even think about taking it off.WHY CAN'T WE DO SOMTHING ABOUT THIS. Maybe we will have to change to another channel. I am already heart broken and it is still on. I really do LOVE this show. PLEASE FIND A WAY TO KEEP IT ONTHE AIR.

boromirbeauty

[9]Apr 2, 2009
    • level: 61
    First off I wanna apologize for not being around as much the last few weeks. If you weren't aware, the grandfather of my son's best friend passed not too long ago and he has had a very hard time dealing with it. Both my son and I have been doing as much as possible to help him out, but it's been very hard. On to GL:

This news is so hard for me. Guiding Light has been in my life for over 20 years. It's helped me through so many hard times in my life. When I was going through my cancer business, so was Reva. This news is truly the beginning of the end for all soaps. If they can cancel the longest running show in history, no other soap stands a chance.

If there is anything we can do to save our soap, post it here... let's try to save the Light.

revajosh1975

[10]Apr 2, 2009
    Guiding Light has been apart of my life for 34 years, it's a shame it has to end.If there is any way we can keep the soap on the air the directors need to let us know.This soap is the all time best. I hope this was just an April fools joke,it's not funny it is heartbreaking.I wish they could take off the Bold and Beautiful instead of Guiding Light.Please let's do something about this it is so heartbreaking.

MarkKellerman

[11]Apr 2, 2009
    • level: 4
    I stated watching again when Phillip came back. (It was weird getting used to the new camera work at first) The high school reunion stuff was fun, geez that Mindy never ages! I also enjoy seeing Vanessa,Billy, and Josh still among the cast. I miss the Ed Bauer, Ross Mahrler, Alexandra Spaulding, India Van Heilkein & Fletcher Reed characters, and gee whiz, where have all of the Reardons gone? GL is a show I will miss. I hope the decision to cancel GL is reconsidered, and soon.

pashotshot

[12]Apr 4, 2009
    • level: 15
    I hope Telenext Media Inc. carries Guiding Light to a different network, preferably SoapNet.

catbirdcatnyc

[13]Aug 2, 2011

I love Kim's new book! She's so funny & so honest & I couldn't put it down!