Guiding Light Forums

CBS (ended 2009)

Rants and Raves

boromirbeauty

[61]Jun 14, 2008
    • level: 61
    Well hopefully now that David Kreizman is sharing Head Writer duties with Lloyd Gold, Jill Lorie Hurst, and Christopher Dunn. Apparently they will make up two head writing teams. I think this is an interesting approach to the show and hopefully it will help.

All soaps but Y&R and B&B have slipped in the rates of late.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Jared3648

[62]Jun 25, 2008
    • level: 11

I realized recently that Bill has slept with the mothers of both of the women he is in a "love triangle" with.

He was with Lizzie's mom, Beth. And he was with Ava's mother, Olivia.

I don't mind sometimes when characters are with both a child and parent (after all, it's a soap), but this is a bit much. We need more characters on the show!

boromirbeauty

[63]Jun 26, 2008
    I agree with you, but sadly I don't think it's going to happen.

Ron Raines recently said that budgets for soaps, especially GL, are at an all time low.

ga68153

[64]Jun 26, 2008
    • level: 6
    ^ Do you have the ratings for the soaps.....all i know is that Y&R and B&B are always 1st and 2nd place.

boromirbeauty

[65]Jun 27, 2008
    I know the last ratings had GL at 1.5 and Y&R at like 3.3.

boromirbeauty

[66]Jun 30, 2008
    Okay, now this is a little annoying. On Monday's episode (6-23) Harley tells Buzz that she can't bring Daisy to her, but then days later suddenly Harley is sending a ticket to have Daisy join her in Greece. Also, since when does everyone and their uncle know where Harley is? Also, one day Grady tells Daisy he's thinking of running and she gets mad because she's told everyone how he's trying to change his life. A few days later, she's all worried because he's staying in town because he'll probably end up in jail. AHH!! Stupid little things like this annoy me because GL is so much better than this!

Sherasbear

[67]Jun 30, 2008
    Hopefully the new writers will fix the inconsistencies with the storytelling! I have my hopes up!

ga68153

[68]Jul 1, 2008
    • level: 6
    When will the episodes with the new writers start airing?

boromirbeauty

[69]Jul 2, 2008
    I'm not sure of the exact date yet, but soaps do tape months in advance so it could be some time around the end of the summer before we see the new HW's in action as HWs.

Jared3648

[70]Jul 6, 2008

None of the writers are new though. They just have new titles. All 4 of the head writers have been writing with GL as script writers and in other writing capacities for years now.

So although there may be some changes in terms of how much say they have in storyline, it seems to me that with 4 people in charge of the writing, there will be even more opportunity for inconsistencies, especially if they are not reading each other's work!

I do HOPE that we see some positive changes. I think we need to see more development. A lot of people hated Harley before she left because she slept with Cyrus, but I think these things happen all the time of soaps. Perhaps we needed to see more of Harley feeling bad about Marina, and more of her falling in love with Cyrus. As with Cyrus and Cassie sleeping together. We didn't see a build up to that. It just happened. Viewers need to see and feel along with the characters onscreen.

boromirbeauty

[71]Jul 6, 2008
    GL has had head writing teams in the past and it worked well for them, which could be a reason why they went back to the idea. Of the three "new" head writers, I think that Lloyd Gold was most recently a solo head writer, but don't quote me on that.

It would have been nice to see Harley fall for Cyrus, I mean, Gus was supposed to be the love of her life and then suddenly she is head over heels for her niece's guy? I think that is part of the reason why some many fans got made.

I understand more the Cassie and Cyrus fling because they were both drunk and she is emotionally unstable and he had been feeling like a third wheel for his girlfriend and her dead ex. For them I didn't really need to have a build up, although putting more of an establishment on their friendship would have been nice.

Jared3648

[72]Jul 7, 2008
    You're correct about Lloyd Gold. He was head writer for a few months between 2001-2002. Then he was put back as a staff writer when head writers Millee Taggert and Carolyn Culliton were hired.

Sherasbear

[73]Jul 25, 2008
    Monday's episode was amazing! It was so nice to see some flashbacks of the original wedding and to see how much Reva and Josh love each other. NOT happy that she chose Jeffrey. I like her with Jeffrey but she belongs with Josh!!!
    On the Bill/Ava front... I KNEW it!!! I had a feeling that the there was going to be something wrong with the baby and Remy coming forward like that...I can't believe it!

mjstal60

[74]Jul 26, 2008
    • level: 5
    Hi All! I have been really behind in my soaps over the last few months...just caught little bits so I'm going to have to spend some time going back over all of your posts so I can catch up on all that's happening. But for now I have to say that the Ava/Baby story really was good! I'm just confused as to whether she and Remy made up that story or if the baby is really his. Since they rode right over him saying he wants a paternity test, I'm wondering. Since I don't know for sure what all is going on, I will say that Remy, Ava and Bill were awesome in their scenes. The acting was so good! I'm just concerned about getting all tied up in it and then Ava will disappear for awhile when she goes on her real maternity leave. I hate when that happens! Anyway, I'd like to post more but I guess I should wait until I get myself caught up. One other question is Harley gone for good?

Sherasbear

[75]Jul 27, 2008
    They didn't show Ava and Remy having sex, but I think the baby is Remy's. They definitely threw us a curveball and I think it was a good one! Yes, Harley is gone at this point. Beth Ehlers is now on AMC and they don't plan on recasting right now. They still might in the future.

boromirbeauty

[76]Jul 27, 2008
    First off, mjstal60 welcome to the forum.

1. Yes, Monday's episode was awesome. It took me back to the original wedding. My only rant is that they didn't have enough extra's on the set. The wedding party was huge back then.

2. Yes, Remy and Ava did have sex. It happened in the Spaulding mansion as a matter of fact! How funny is that. I had a feeling that it was going to turn out that she was pregnant by Remy, it seemed that she got pregnant so easily from the "clinic." One day they told he she wasn't and then suddenly she was.

3. It seems that although Michelle Ray Smith didn't renew her contract, she is still open to coming back in the future. She just would like to take off time (more than just regular baby leave) to raise her son Jake who was born earlier this month.

4. The PtB at GL keep saying that they aren't recasting Harley yet, but they keep saying on the show that Harley is coming back by the end of the summer, so who knows for sure what they are going to do. I doubt even they know.
    Edited on 07/27/2008 1:29pm

mjstal60

[77]Jul 28, 2008

Hello Sherasbear! Thanks so much for your answers to my questions! I appreciate it and it cleared up alot for me.

Hello boromirbeauty! Thanks to you also! I appreciate the "welcome" message and the info.

I am going to enjoy having people to talk soap with because nobody I know watches them. They used to just roll their eyes if I said anything about them! So this is great!

Do you all watch Bold & Beautiful or As the World Turns?

My life got so busy for about a year that I was only catching bits and pieces of them. I started taping my 3 stories but wasn't finding the time to watch them all. Things don't change all that much .....usually, and the storylines at the time weren't that great, maybe due to the writer's strikes and such, but I didn't feel I was missing all that much. But on Guiding Light there were some HUGE changes the worst being Gus and Harley leaving and the changes that have occurred since. What I have figured out is that Ava is such a good actress for a newbie and I really enjoy watching her, and of course Remy has been loooong overdue for a decent love life, so that triangle would be awesome! I just hate to see her leave. The Reva/Jeffery/Josh/Cassey story and the Reva "movie" storyline well......I just have had a hard time with that. I love Jeffery and I did feel Reva had good chemistry with him.....and the whole Josh/Cassie thing.....I never liked them together. It was just too nasty a thought to me. I also didn't like Josh as a minister. I think it kept him from using ALL of his talents. So changes happening there are welcome ones for me.

I just think something really good and juicy needs to be happening there with some "really good" characters, to pull the show back up after Gus & Harley's departure. I thought the Ava storyline would help alot.

Alan having visions since Gus left, well, I had issues with that in the beginning.....but they really could turn that into something interesting, since there are so much interest in "psychics" and such. It's just that Alan seems like an odd character to have this happening....I'll reserve judgement for now. I missed alot of the shows where Alan lost everything. I DO love Lizzy as well and I like that she's turned herself into this little tough chick trying to keep the family together, but I think they are beginning to foul that up as well. She also is a wonderful actress and she needs a great love interest, but I don't think it should be Bill. I think she needs a new character to be with. Someone cute who matches her vivaciousness. I loved when Mallet and Dinah were a couple. The scenes when she got shot were amazing. I even liked how she handled the brain damage....but I think it would have been a wonderful chance for this couple to become a sizzling Super Couple had they handled that differently and not broke up this couple. They have amazing chemistry and they just "fit"! Dinah has become underused. She's too talented to just sit around at the mansion and be a side kick to her brother's life. They need to USE Dinah, before we lose her too. I don't like Mallet with Marina. She just "looks" so young. She's a gorgeous woman but she does have the "baby" face that just doesn't mesh to me with someone like Mallet. I don't feel it. Guiding Light needs to find them a Super Couple to replace Harley/Gus. A couple that's exciting to watch and has staying power. I think maybe they realize that by pushing the Reva/Josh buttons again. I think they need a new exciting couple as well. Just my humble opinions. I want to LOVE watching this show again!

boromirbeauty

[78]Aug 4, 2008
    This is the second Monday in a row (7-21 & 7-2 that GL had me crying nearly the entire episode. The emotion in this past Monday's episode, surrounding Ava's condition and baby Max, was excellent. And just as Michelle Ray Smith gets to the the point where she's blowing the roll out of the water, she's leaving! My one gripe is that Reva didn't mention that she also suffered from postpardum depression when she realized that is what was wrong with Ava. If they could carry the action, storylines, and emotion that we've seen on Monday's through the rest of the week, this show could climb it's way back up the ratings ladder.

mjstal60

[79]Aug 4, 2008
    Tuesday's episode, Baby Max died. Wow. I had a feeling they would go that route since Ava is going on an extended maternity leave and they're not sure yet if and when she'll come back. Wow. I thought maybe they would keep it going since Remy was looking to take Max to Chicago. I thought maybe they would just be "off" the show for awhile and if Ava decided not to return, that still left Remy and the baby to come back and have a story again. But.....no......wow. It's so hard to watch anytime a baby dies whether its in real life or TV. Kudos to ALL of the cast during todays show. They all did a spectacular job! Just Spectacular!

Sherasbear

[80]Aug 6, 2008
    Remy was absolutely amazing in the scenes with his father! I really thought he was going to hurt his hand by punching the cabinet. Baby Max dying was sad...