Guiding Light

CBS (ended 2009)

jaynashvil

Guiding Light Fan Reviews page 3 of 3

• The best show ever

Even though I have not watched this show everyday in the past couple months, that doesn't mean I don't like it anymore. I have watched this soap opera since 1998. That is over 7 years of watching this soap opera. It has grown year by year. No one really knows how good this show is until they watch it. But that goes with every other show.

So many people feel that if they watch a soap opera that they will be considered a geek! Well if that is true, then you can call me a GEEK because I watch THREE soap operas a day.

Guiding Light has the best cast! I have met several of the actors and they are just wonderful.
  • Quick summary of show and personal connection.

Who would have thought a program almost 70 years old could still attract viewers? Well, Guiding Light is living proof. On January 25, 1937 Guiding Light premiered on NBC before moving to CBS on June 30, 1952, as a televised serial. In the shows earliest years the radio show\'s original storyline centered around a preacher named Rev. John Ruthledge, and all the people of a fictional suburb in Chicago called Five Points. The townspeople's lives had revolved around him. The show's title comes from a lamp in his study that family and residents could see as a sign for them to find help when needed. Storylines in this era touched on topics rarely discussed up to that point - character Rose Kransky had radio's first out-of-wedlock baby. Over the years Guiding Light has seen many changes in characters, writing, setting, etc. However, one thing remains the same; Guiding Light is a heart warming soap opera that has become to many a family friend. I consider the whole town of Springfield as part of my family. Every time I use my DVR to watch that days episode I always love to hear "Ritournelle" theme song and all the characters faces. Today in 2005 Guding Lights future is currently a little "foggy", but hopefully it will soon guide its viewers, characters, and the ratings home.

• A show with limitless potential and an illustrious history goes down the drain.

Guiding Light is a show with limitless potential that is simply not being realized by current headwriter David Kreizman. The stories are illogical, mindnumbing, cliche, and uninspired. The show lacks heart, it lacks soul. The characters that represent the core of the show are disrespected and disregarded, while the show remains populated by ill-defined and destroyed characters. Instead of what should be a case study of the human condition, the show has stooped to shock-driven slop. The LIGHT has faded from view.
  • i watch everyday,i just love all the characters..alexandra, she is a riot... reva is the best...too...my 7 year old daughter tells me mom your soap is on.... and on sunday and satturdays she gets mad that it is not on..go guiding light:)

oh how, i love guiding light it is my favorite.lizzie and coop are so cute together and gus and harley wow...gus is such a cutie!!!! one thing i don't like is the story of allen and phillip looking insane, when they were so very powerful ,i think this soap needs new story writer's the character's are fantasic,but some of the story's are a litte? i love it anyway..fantasic show....
  • Adapting to change is hard, but fans must get over their most recent hang ups about this history-making show if it is to go on.

I have been a fan of "Guiding Light" since it was called "THE Guiding Light". I even found myself laughing a few weeks ago when writers managed to throw that change into the script as a joke between Gus and Harley when talking about "Light of Love which used to be THE Light of Love". I remember watching the show every afternoon with my grandmother after school. While other students were watching cartoons, I sat captivated with my grandmother watching the daily goings on of the residents of Springfield.

While I'm just as upset about the recent cast changes and cutbacks as any other fan, my loyalty to this show remains the same. I think any fan who has managed to stay with the show after Reva was cloned can get past this most recent batch of bad and/or tiresome storylines that we've been given.

Instead of writing the show off for one or two characters who may be leaving or who have left already, try to take hope in the fact that the writers will come up with ingenous ways to use the remaining cast. It's up to fans to keep the light shining.
  • I used to love this show.

5.1
    It's unfortunate that the cast and the viewers of
    Guiding Light have had to put up with so much upheaval. Cast members taken off contract not based
    on storylines but on the almighty dollar. They
    are even making them move from their current studio
    to an older one just to save a buck.
    With all the changes they do not have a guarantee
    that the show will carrying on past 2006.
    Shame on the bean counters. Long time viewers
    are fighting mad about the changes not because
    they want to be difficult but because they love
    their show.
  • Wanna see a show that gets better everytime you see it? Guiding Light is definetely the show for you.

Guiding Light has been the grande dame of soap operas since it began, and it's been shocking viewers for years. Paternity tests, deaths, murder, and so much more have filled the airwaves with every episode of Guiding Light.

If you are looking for a show that will keep you on the edge of your seat, and constantly keeps you guessing, Guiding Light is for you!
  • Oldest soap on daytime focussing on the residents of Springfield and the people that work at Cedars hospital

3.9
    Without Grant Aleksander why bother????? He was why I started watching the show.... I remember flipping channels back in 83 and seeing this absolutely gorgeous man.... My son's middle name is Phillip....Can you guess why? But not only have they gotten rid of Grant but now Jerry Ver Dorn and Marj Dusay.... I don't even recognize half the cast anymore. There used to be a focus . I dont think there is anymore!
  • The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1

The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 WTG GL
  • Good

The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 th best
1 2 3 >