Guiding Light

CBS (ended 2009)

jaynashvil

Guiding Light Fan Reviews (70)

• The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1

The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 th best
  • Good

The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 WTG GL
  • Oldest soap on daytime focussing on the residents of Springfield and the people that work at Cedars hospital

3.9
    Without Grant Aleksander why bother????? He was why I started watching the show.... I remember flipping channels back in 83 and seeing this absolutely gorgeous man.... My son's middle name is Phillip....Can you guess why? But not only have they gotten rid of Grant but now Jerry Ver Dorn and Marj Dusay.... I don't even recognize half the cast anymore. There used to be a focus . I dont think there is anymore!
  • Wanna see a show that gets better everytime you see it? Guiding Light is definetely the show for you.

Guiding Light has been the grande dame of soap operas since it began, and it's been shocking viewers for years. Paternity tests, deaths, murder, and so much more have filled the airwaves with every episode of Guiding Light.

If you are looking for a show that will keep you on the edge of your seat, and constantly keeps you guessing, Guiding Light is for you!
  • I used to love this show.

5.1
    It's unfortunate that the cast and the viewers of
    Guiding Light have had to put up with so much upheaval. Cast members taken off contract not based
    on storylines but on the almighty dollar. They
    are even making them move from their current studio
    to an older one just to save a buck.
    With all the changes they do not have a guarantee
    that the show will carrying on past 2006.
    Shame on the bean counters. Long time viewers
    are fighting mad about the changes not because
    they want to be difficult but because they love
    their show.
  • Adapting to change is hard, but fans must get over their most recent hang ups about this history-making show if it is to go on.

I have been a fan of "Guiding Light" since it was called "THE Guiding Light". I even found myself laughing a few weeks ago when writers managed to throw that change into the script as a joke between Gus and Harley when talking about "Light of Love which used to be THE Light of Love". I remember watching the show every afternoon with my grandmother after school. While other students were watching cartoons, I sat captivated with my grandmother watching the daily goings on of the residents of Springfield.

While I'm just as upset about the recent cast changes and cutbacks as any other fan, my loyalty to this show remains the same. I think any fan who has managed to stay with the show after Reva was cloned can get past this most recent batch of bad and/or tiresome storylines that we've been given.

Instead of writing the show off for one or two characters who may be leaving or who have left already, try to take hope in the fact that the writers will come up with ingenous ways to use the remaining cast. It's up to fans to keep the light shining.
  • i watch everyday,i just love all the characters..alexandra, she is a riot... reva is the best...too...my 7 year old daughter tells me mom your soap is on.... and on sunday and satturdays she gets mad that it is not on..go guiding light:)

oh how, i love guiding light it is my favorite.lizzie and coop are so cute together and gus and harley wow...gus is such a cutie!!!! one thing i don't like is the story of allen and phillip looking insane, when they were so very powerful ,i think this soap needs new story writer's the character's are fantasic,but some of the story's are a litte? i love it anyway..fantasic show....
  • A show with limitless potential and an illustrious history goes down the drain.

Guiding Light is a show with limitless potential that is simply not being realized by current headwriter David Kreizman. The stories are illogical, mindnumbing, cliche, and uninspired. The show lacks heart, it lacks soul. The characters that represent the core of the show are disrespected and disregarded, while the show remains populated by ill-defined and destroyed characters. Instead of what should be a case study of the human condition, the show has stooped to shock-driven slop. The LIGHT has faded from view.
  • Quick summary of show and personal connection.

Who would have thought a program almost 70 years old could still attract viewers? Well, Guiding Light is living proof. On January 25, 1937 Guiding Light premiered on NBC before moving to CBS on June 30, 1952, as a televised serial. In the shows earliest years the radio show\'s original storyline centered around a preacher named Rev. John Ruthledge, and all the people of a fictional suburb in Chicago called Five Points. The townspeople's lives had revolved around him. The show's title comes from a lamp in his study that family and residents could see as a sign for them to find help when needed. Storylines in this era touched on topics rarely discussed up to that point - character Rose Kransky had radio's first out-of-wedlock baby. Over the years Guiding Light has seen many changes in characters, writing, setting, etc. However, one thing remains the same; Guiding Light is a heart warming soap opera that has become to many a family friend. I consider the whole town of Springfield as part of my family. Every time I use my DVR to watch that days episode I always love to hear "Ritournelle" theme song and all the characters faces. Today in 2005 Guding Lights future is currently a little "foggy", but hopefully it will soon guide its viewers, characters, and the ratings home.

• The best show ever

Even though I have not watched this show everyday in the past couple months, that doesn't mean I don't like it anymore. I have watched this soap opera since 1998. That is over 7 years of watching this soap opera. It has grown year by year. No one really knows how good this show is until they watch it. But that goes with every other show.

So many people feel that if they watch a soap opera that they will be considered a geek! Well if that is true, then you can call me a GEEK because I watch THREE soap operas a day.

Guiding Light has the best cast! I have met several of the actors and they are just wonderful.
  • falling fast? i dont think so i've been watching guiding light since 1979 the only way a show can hold a viewer for that long is interesting caracters and storylines.

falling fast? i dont think so i've been watching guiding light since 1979 the only way a show can hold a viewer for that long is interesting caracters and storylines falling fast? not in my life time there were times i thought about quiting guiding light but the interesting caracters keep pulling me back
  • Best Years are Far Gone

6.4
    This Show was best from 1992-2000. This show has way to many characters now, to many story lines. My favorite storyline of all time was The Annie-Reva-Joshua Storyline, Annie was one crazy Bitch, I don\'t think they respect reva anymore she gets all the crap storylines, she belongs with joshua she is old enough to stop being a slut now...
  • I am 27 and i have been watching this show for 20 years.

For twenty years now I have been a dedicated fan and veiwer of guiding light. I think the show is just as fun today as it was back then. The story lines are hott and so are all the newcomers to the show. The new generation in Springfield will surprise us all and leave us longing for more. (as long as they keep Johnathan around) Im gonna keep watching and loving all that the writers throw at us the viewers. No other show on tv has ever held me interested half as long as this one. this is my GUIDING LIGHT!!!
  • Nip/Tuck and Desperate Housewives may be the best shows on TV right now, but Guiding Light is still the oldest.

Guiding Light, boys and girls, is the single oldest show in the history of television. That is to say, it has lasted long by FAR than any other show in history.

Guiding Light started out on radio, going strong for 15 years, than in the early 50s made its way to television, where it has remained ever since.

Nip/Tuck and Desperate Housewives may be the best shows on TV right now, but Guiding Light is still the oldest. The best and oldest soap opera in history is both CBS's oldest show and the oldest show period.

Guiding Light will undoubtedly live for decades to come
  • Guiding Light used to be a show I loved. Bad writing has limited its character development and its storylines. For years the drama wasn't self contained in each episode, it developed over time because of compelling stories and great characters. Now

What is wrong with the writers on this show? Are they completely incapable of writing a scene with more than one character? The writing is the poorest it has been in about seven years. Must suck that Grant Alexsander didn\'t take it too well that he was let go. Now you have a huge problem. Why even hint that he was still alive if you didn\'t have him committed to come back because no one will ever be able to play that role again, it is his.

If I remember correctly, right after Michele got out of the hospital - after the explosion that Danny had set, before her affair with Tony - Michele had said she was \"late\" but it was never brought up again. Now she is back, pregnant, and has no idea who the father is - isn\'t this a serious plot mistake.

I also have no idea how Cassie could become \"friends\" with Dinah (Gina Togninni is one of the few bright spots on this show - her and Tom Pelphrey.) - This is the woman who killed R.J.\'s father in an attempt to kill her. Don\'t the writers ever think about that? Why don\'t they ever write some real dramatic scenes between these women that deal with that very real fact. Its because they are lightweights and afraid to write something true.

But the worst writing of all surrounds the character of Tammy Lane Winslow. This must be the single dumbest citizen of Springfield ever. How can the writers keep up this story about two first cousins completely in love with each other. It is illegal in most states for first cousins to shack up together. This is a blood relative. This is why it was so evil what he was doing to her. If you remember, Sandy was in love with Marah at one point, and he was just pretending to be Jonathon, and he never acted on that passion (even though she felt it as well)because it would be seen as sleeping with his half-sister. Why is it OK for Tam-Tam to sleep with the real cousin? Tammy\'s scenes lack any credibility or passion whatsoever. She is the anti-Harley, someone who just accepts her torments and believes whatever anyone tells her. Why didn\'t the writers have the courage to highlight the fact that it was Jonathon who supplied Lizzie Spaulding with the drugs she used to drug Tammy\'s boyfriend the night they were supposed to be together? Isn\'t that even more insight into the evil that is Jonathon? How could she be attracted to him - it makes no sense.

One other thing --- why is Edmund the badguy at all for what is happening behind Cassie\'s back. She deserves some of it doesn\'t she? She was basically having an affair with Jeffrey (the man who at one point was in love with her niece and actually slept with her niece) right under Edmund\'s nose. Her character is, for the most part, a slut. She\'ll sleep with whoever is available. No wonder her daughter is such an imbecile. Cassie just lets whatever man is around her take care of her. She is incapable of being on her own and that sort of makes her pathetic. (I mean come on - how could she fall in love with a man who locked her in a tower and several times came close to causing her and his brother\'s death.) A story should have continuity and be somewhat believable to its dedicated viewers, Guiding Light is no longer that show.

Grant Alexander was very smart for turning down Proctor and Gamble\'s pittance offering to come back as Philip. This show is going off the cliff fast.
  • Its the greatest soap on CBS and is tied at #1 with General Hopital on ABC.

This is one of the best soaps still around. It has supassed 53 yrs on Daytime TV. It is the longest running soap. It still goes against controversial issues of framed murder, rape, being married to more than one person, and even the current \"Kisssing Cousins\" story line. The story line did turn me away a little bit, only b/c of the Mac & Billy storyline on Y& R. But Johnathan and Tammy they have that love that Reva and Josh did and it seems that they will last thru watever life through at them.
  • Guiding Light has always been my favorite soap.

Guiding Light has always been my favorite soap opera on daytime tv. I started watching it with my mom in the 80's when I was a teenager and now I record it on my DVR everyday so I will not miss it. It has become very exciting waiting to see what happens between tammy and jonathan. I do think that cassie should eventually give in and just accept jonathan. After all Tammy loves him. I don't like the fact that Josh and Reva split. They were my favorite couple of all time. I love this show and will keep watching
  • Needs to keep faith with it's history.

I have watched and loved the light since age 3 in 59 at my mom's side.
    I was happy to see the recent appearance of Rev. Rutledge-a decendant of the early lead character.Bring back the Baur family,front and center.Renew your rich heritage i say.
    Stop repeating storylines so often,with differant characters.I still love the light.
  • Change The Writing... Good Call

I like the writing style the show has now undertaken. The single character episodes make me want to watch more. Yes, it does still involve every character it can, but this is a much better format than the constant three-part episode writing of every other soap opera out there. I think this has potential in the long run to bring people in from the cold that is the current state of daytime drama, and give them something they're used to.
  • This show was actually good a few years ago.

1.8
    It started getting weird, and went downhill ever since. Lets see....Reva has driven off a bridge, which could be realistic, but then she turns up years later, having already been a Princess of a small island, then somehow she goes from that to being Amish? OK. Then all of a sudden, she's home to find out that her husband missed her so badly that he had her cloned. Then the clone decided she wanted to be the original, and kidnapped Reva. Um, yeah. I finally called it quits when they decided that Reva could jump into pictures, or whatever it was she could do. Then she's psychic, then she's got a talk show. I don't know. It kept getting more far-fetched by the minute. And has every woman in town flipped out and kidnapped a small army of people at some point? Holly took all the kids, Beth got Gus and Alan (YEAH RIGHT). Olivia went from being the almost-princess of san cristobal to pretty much a prostitute in Springfield. And is San Cristobal as close as the next town? I know for a while there, half the residents of Springfield would take off for San Cristobal at the drop of a hat. Cross Creek must be on the way, b/c they spend a lot of time there too. That reminds me something else about the island. Did they bring half the people there back with them? Richard, Edmund, Olivia, didn't they bring some of the royal staff or whatever back too? Just too strange.
  • What a wonderfull tv show to watch. Over the years I've enjoyed the consistantly great writing and wonderful acting. In Lanisng Michigan, We have always had CBS soaps on the radio, 87.7. So if were at work or in the car , you can always hear the Light

Like most 30 years fans of GL, I grew up watching with family. I was so happy the other evening win they won 4 acting Emmys. Congratulations I was especially thrilled When Jordan Clarke won. It nice to see such long time, committed actors to be recognized. It\'s just to bad that either Ron Raines or Robert Newman didn\'t win. I've been enjoying the storylines this past year. Although was disappointed to see Jerry ver Dorn leave the show. But now, Blakes storyline can really be developed. She great! Gine Trog. was a wonderful addition to the show also. And it always nice to have Maeve Kincaid back for occassionally episodes. Would love to have her back under contract.
  • I think that Guiding Light is the greatest soap on tv. My wife got me hooked on it. Keep up the good work.

As a man, I think that it is the best soap on television. I know that men don\'t usually watch soaps, but my wife got me hooked on it. There must be more men that me out there who watch soaps. Let\'s hear from some of you and give Guiding Light the boost that it deserves from everyone. Kim Zimmer is the greatest and Beth Ehlers is next. I hope Reva and Josh make their renewed relationship work out to their best.. The show won\'t be the same if they can\'t work it out and stay split. Keep it up, Guiding Light Gang.
  • I think that guiding light is on fire right now

we have the lizzie, tammy, jon, ava, and coop pregnancy,props to the writers for incorporing lizzie into the boring tmmay jon their i love you but i can\\\'t be with you was really getting old at least they are now reunited (but for how long), harley and gus, dinah and mallet and we got to see the vet rick, beth, blake in promising storyline
    last year i felt that the storylines were hard to follow cause it seems that the writers were unable to keep track with but man now they do i only hope that GL can keep its currrent momentum and keep on getting better
  • All the cast who attended SuperStar Weekend 06 at Paramount Kings Dominion

I just wanted to write and say, I love all of you. You are all so awesome. I have never met anyone as down to earth as the cast of Guiding Light. I won the Scene Stealer with Rob Bogue and he was great. It was a dream of a lifetime to be on stage acting out a scene with " Mallet". He was everything I expected as a person and more. I have attended both Superstar weekends for the past 2 years, and including As The World Turns just made it more wonderful. I have been watching Guiding Light and As The world Turns since I was a young child and I will always continue to watch it.

Love, Debbie
  • i LOVE this show i watch this show every weekday and never miss one day this show aways keeps you guessing.

This show i dont know what to say but fabulous it is the best soap there is and will ever be. i love it like reva and jon oh love them they are always keeping the drama up the scale and i dont know why reva does not tell josh about her cancer but whatever maybe she will i dont know and jon with lizzie baby what is that i dont know it is crazy i would have never have guessed that would you? it is crazy if you asked me. all it know is that i will always watch it.lol
  • What's with all the cast changes?

What\'s with all the changing of stars? I will never get use to the new Cassie, or even Lizzie. Bring back Danny without Michelle. Put Buzz with Olivia. Eva I can\'t stand.
    The story line with Reva is great, it\'s a real tear jerker. But, how can the show even think of putting Josh with Cassie? She dosn\'t have the moral of a alley cat. Give Billy a love interest, he\'s just a big Teddy bear. Put Blake with Jeffery, Let them find out that Ross is realy alive and come back, and have Blake torned between both of them.
    Just a few of my thoughts.
  • Over the top with the Josh and Cassie storyline

2.5
    I have been watching guiding Light for more years than I care to admit. My friends and I have \"soap\" parties, we have tivo night, where we watch several episodes and have a discussion. Lots of fun!! HOWERVER, your new story line with Josh and Cassie has put an end to all of us watching at all. Noone enjoys this, this time you have gone over the line of acceptable fiction. We will keep checking to see if and when we can return to our show, we miss it and our \"friends\". Hope this apalling new twist is over soon.

Sue Lindeborn
  • It's come a long way, baby. Now it just needs to find its way back.

1.5
    Can someone please explain why the writers thought it was OK to make 2 first cousins become love intrests. That's ridiculous. Besides that gross display, there so many other missteps that this show has taken. I haven't watched it regularly in over 2 years since Gus used to be a FBI agent and was investigating Harley. To me, that was the last plausible storyline on the show. Why is it that Josh is dating Reva's sister? And is it true that Alan Spaulding killed Phillip? Why? So many things on this show make no sense-so I gave up on it very recently all together.
  • They have taken a great story line and just totally made it last too long. It is to the point that I am loosing interest and getting tired of it.

I am sure that I am not the only person getting tired of this Reva situation. First of all, I love Reva. But this is completely crazy for this situation to go on as long as it has. Even for her character to have let it go on this long is crazy. The writers have taken a good story and made it completely unbelievable and it sickens me to see what they are letting happen. If it was not for the situation with Lizzie I do not even know if I would be watching right now. I am Tired of Ava...she will be found out to be a twit...Cassie is tacky...Dinah needs to stand up to Jeffery and stop cowing down..So in a nut shell. They really need to do something to bring some life back into the show. But enough already with Reva and Josh. Stop playing games with something so emotional as cancer and affairs.....
< 1 2 3