Guiding Light

CBS (ended 2009)

jaynashvil

Guiding Light Fan Reviews (71)

• The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1

The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 WTG GL
  • I have watched show since started.The story line between Liberty and her first cousin has me so out raged ! If they go any further this is incest....and we wonder why our youth today do the things that are so wrong. Where is the example ?

1.4
    I can not believe your writers have become this desperate for material. I can not believe your cast has not addressed
    the message that is perceived by viewers. I have watched
    the show since it first began. I am afraid I may be
    changing the dial.
    Oh, yeah, Katie, kick Brad out he is too stupid for you.
    Any man that keeps "hanging" with Janet needs brain surgery.
    Your show has always addressed current social concerns and had class, even with the proverbal romp in the hay. This "relationship' between first cousins however is way off base. I am afraid I am going to change the channel.

The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 The Best show is guiding light number 1 th best
  • This show was actually good a few years ago.

1.8
    It started getting weird, and went downhill ever since. Lets see....Reva has driven off a bridge, which could be realistic, but then she turns up years later, having already been a Princess of a small island, then somehow she goes from that to being Amish? OK. Then all of a sudden, she's home to find out that her husband missed her so badly that he had her cloned. Then the clone decided she wanted to be the original, and kidnapped Reva. Um, yeah. I finally called it quits when they decided that Reva could jump into pictures, or whatever it was she could do. Then she's psychic, then she's got a talk show. I don't know. It kept getting more far-fetched by the minute. And has every woman in town flipped out and kidnapped a small army of people at some point? Holly took all the kids, Beth got Gus and Alan (YEAH RIGHT). Olivia went from being the almost-princess of san cristobal to pretty much a prostitute in Springfield. And is San Cristobal as close as the next town? I know for a while there, half the residents of Springfield would take off for San Cristobal at the drop of a hat. Cross Creek must be on the way, b/c they spend a lot of time there too. That reminds me something else about the island. Did they bring half the people there back with them? Richard, Edmund, Olivia, didn't they bring some of the royal staff or whatever back too? Just too strange.
  • Adapting to change is hard, but fans must get over their most recent hang ups about this history-making show if it is to go on.

I have been a fan of "Guiding Light" since it was called "THE Guiding Light". I even found myself laughing a few weeks ago when writers managed to throw that change into the script as a joke between Gus and Harley when talking about "Light of Love which used to be THE Light of Love". I remember watching the show every afternoon with my grandmother after school. While other students were watching cartoons, I sat captivated with my grandmother watching the daily goings on of the residents of Springfield.

While I'm just as upset about the recent cast changes and cutbacks as any other fan, my loyalty to this show remains the same. I think any fan who has managed to stay with the show after Reva was cloned can get past this most recent batch of bad and/or tiresome storylines that we've been given.

Instead of writing the show off for one or two characters who may be leaving or who have left already, try to take hope in the fact that the writers will come up with ingenous ways to use the remaining cast. It's up to fans to keep the light shining.
  • I am 27 and i have been watching this show for 20 years.

For twenty years now I have been a dedicated fan and veiwer of guiding light. I think the show is just as fun today as it was back then. The story lines are hott and so are all the newcomers to the show. The new generation in Springfield will surprise us all and leave us longing for more. (as long as they keep Johnathan around) Im gonna keep watching and loving all that the writers throw at us the viewers. No other show on tv has ever held me interested half as long as this one. this is my GUIDING LIGHT!!!
  • I'm sure the talent is still there but appears we've forgotten where to look. The names are the same but that is all I recognize anymore.

1.1
    Acting class 101 ?? Is this more interesting for the actors ?
    The program is going off on so many tangents that I'm starting to feel it's a waste of time to tape for after work viewing. Comic book characters ? Skits, inprovization, interuptions in plotlines ? What are we looking for ?
    The concept of the program is getting lost and it's
    getting very hard to discern anything understandable from the plot or storyline. The characters and storylines are so fractured.
    Could be why there seems to be an increasing number of
    cast departures... sadly.
    This used to be one of my favorite with interesting characters... Not so much anymore... Mixed feelings about the wednesday "in-depth" episodes but can assure you that the "comic" book hero and/or the "old time" skits are definately not the direction to help.
    Please... where is the writing "team"
    Thanks for listening. Will watch for changes- then decide.
  • It's come a long way, baby. Now it just needs to find its way back.

1.5
    Can someone please explain why the writers thought it was OK to make 2 first cousins become love intrests. That's ridiculous. Besides that gross display, there so many other missteps that this show has taken. I haven't watched it regularly in over 2 years since Gus used to be a FBI agent and was investigating Harley. To me, that was the last plausible storyline on the show. Why is it that Josh is dating Reva's sister? And is it true that Alan Spaulding killed Phillip? Why? So many things on this show make no sense-so I gave up on it very recently all together.
  • I used to love this show.

5.1
    It's unfortunate that the cast and the viewers of
    Guiding Light have had to put up with so much upheaval. Cast members taken off contract not based
    on storylines but on the almighty dollar. They
    are even making them move from their current studio
    to an older one just to save a buck.
    With all the changes they do not have a guarantee
    that the show will carrying on past 2006.
    Shame on the bean counters. Long time viewers
    are fighting mad about the changes not because
    they want to be difficult but because they love
    their show.
  • They have surely lost their way...

I have loved Guiding Light since I was a young girl...I watched with my grandmother...but they have lost their way. They have completely disregarded all Guiding Light history, made ridiculous choices for couples (Marina and Alan Michael???--He's old enough to be her father, but then again...there's the history...) and I can't stand Cassie, let alone Cassie and Josh...it makes my skin crawl. But worst of all is the Daisy screw-up. Daisy is actually the correct age...but unfortunately, they SORAS'ed Marina, who was born after her, as was Lizzie. The writers have ruined this show by blowing off all history. The only reason I am still even thinking about watching is I hope that they will redeem Reva, and have her kick Cassie's butt.
  • Good

• on the off chance i ever meet my angel reva

hi I heard kim likes to hear from her fans; so ill give this a shot. hi angel reva shane. I have loved u since I was a kid growing up watching gl. I was going threw a lot of the same types of things as daisy was. and still struggling with them, but seeing it played out on tv has helped me a lot. when daisy had the abortion I was going threw similar stuff and drew strength from her and reva. it really gave me strength to see reva fighting for her kid. I really wish I could meet the imfamous reva shane. it is like my bucket list dream. reva really is breathtakingly talented. and I attest my guardian angel. I am a forever fan of kims. she was also great as mavis on d women. but it is reva that I fall in love with and dream of meeting. someday... the daisy stories helped me get over s o much in my life. I wish reva knew how much I value and adore her and how amazing I think she is. I see so much of me in daisy. it is like her character is telling my story. Reagan from Canada.

• "Will Be Missed"

Yeah well this show will end on Friday September 18, 2009 and it will be missed by me and other fans it shouldn't be taken off the air they should keep it on and just change a few things but anyway I think this show is great alot better than Y&R + B&B right now because there kind of dumb at this moment in time. Unlike those two shows I really liked all the characters except for Harley but she left a year ago. Loved this little quote they did to: "There is a destiny that makes us brothers
    None goes it's way alone And all that we send into the light of others Comes back into our own."
    Just had to add that
  • Okay, so you have decided to replace GL...how about at least considering a refreshing replacement....

While I am a huge Guiding Light fan, I am afraid they are in fact going to move the show. My biggest fear - another game show, ugh, or worse yet another JUDGE show (zzzz). Give the Daytime viewer a little credit. Really, how about thinking outside of the box..... CBS and P&G should look at replacing it with Kim's Closet - a new, refreshing lifestyle and makeover show. They are saying the host Kimberly is going to do for fashion what Rachel Ray has done for food - make it fun. Finally, a fun, relatable daytime lifestyle show... www.KimsCloset.TV
    I love guiding light and I hope that the show is renewed. It is one of my faviortes. A must see! I hope that someone picks up the show sometime in the future or soon. I am so glad that TV.com did a section on GL because I've always wanted a place that I could go and look up old episodes and read about them. A new fan of GL 23 Years Old
  • Change The Writing... Good Call

I like the writing style the show has now undertaken. The single character episodes make me want to watch more. Yes, it does still involve every character it can, but this is a much better format than the constant three-part episode writing of every other soap opera out there. I think this has potential in the long run to bring people in from the cold that is the current state of daytime drama, and give them something they're used to.
  • They have taken a great story line and just totally made it last too long. It is to the point that I am loosing interest and getting tired of it.

I am sure that I am not the only person getting tired of this Reva situation. First of all, I love Reva. But this is completely crazy for this situation to go on as long as it has. Even for her character to have let it go on this long is crazy. The writers have taken a good story and made it completely unbelievable and it sickens me to see what they are letting happen. If it was not for the situation with Lizzie I do not even know if I would be watching right now. I am Tired of Ava...she will be found out to be a twit...Cassie is tacky...Dinah needs to stand up to Jeffery and stop cowing down..So in a nut shell. They really need to do something to bring some life back into the show. But enough already with Reva and Josh. Stop playing games with something so emotional as cancer and affairs.....
  • What's with all the cast changes?

What\'s with all the changing of stars? I will never get use to the new Cassie, or even Lizzie. Bring back Danny without Michelle. Put Buzz with Olivia. Eva I can\'t stand.
    The story line with Reva is great, it\'s a real tear jerker. But, how can the show even think of putting Josh with Cassie? She dosn\'t have the moral of a alley cat. Give Billy a love interest, he\'s just a big Teddy bear. Put Blake with Jeffery, Let them find out that Ross is realy alive and come back, and have Blake torned between both of them.
    Just a few of my thoughts.
  • What a wonderfull tv show to watch. Over the years I've enjoyed the consistantly great writing and wonderful acting. In Lanisng Michigan, We have always had CBS soaps on the radio, 87.7. So if were at work or in the car , you can always hear the Light

Like most 30 years fans of GL, I grew up watching with family. I was so happy the other evening win they won 4 acting Emmys. Congratulations I was especially thrilled When Jordan Clarke won. It nice to see such long time, committed actors to be recognized. It\'s just to bad that either Ron Raines or Robert Newman didn\'t win. I've been enjoying the storylines this past year. Although was disappointed to see Jerry ver Dorn leave the show. But now, Blakes storyline can really be developed. She great! Gine Trog. was a wonderful addition to the show also. And it always nice to have Maeve Kincaid back for occassionally episodes. Would love to have her back under contract.
  • Nip/Tuck and Desperate Housewives may be the best shows on TV right now, but Guiding Light is still the oldest.

Guiding Light, boys and girls, is the single oldest show in the history of television. That is to say, it has lasted long by FAR than any other show in history.

Guiding Light started out on radio, going strong for 15 years, than in the early 50s made its way to television, where it has remained ever since.

Nip/Tuck and Desperate Housewives may be the best shows on TV right now, but Guiding Light is still the oldest. The best and oldest soap opera in history is both CBS's oldest show and the oldest show period.

Guiding Light will undoubtedly live for decades to come
  • To kick off the TALK/SHOW conversations at this year's AFI FESTIVAL, at the breathtaking rooftop Loft Village, organizers at the Philanthropy Project invited special industry guests to talk openly about "The Power of Film to Inspire Philanthropy"...

With that in mind, a panel was formed for a discussion on the topic, which consisted of Kevin Wall, producer of LIVE EARTH from the umbrella organization "Save Our Selfs"; Crystal Chappell, an actress on Guiding Light; Nigel Lithgoe, Executive Producer of American Idol; and Steve Golin, the producer of the feature film, Rendition, starring Jake Gyllenhaal.

Guiding Light was created by Irna Phillips in 1937. The theme of the show was the brotherhood of man and what you can give to the world. In discussing the "give back" project, Crystal Chappell noted it amounted to a hands-on involvement.

For the full story on Crystal Chappell's comments on "giving back" with Guiding Light...read the fully story at:

www.ijulian.blogspot.com
  • I absolutely adore Guiding Light. I have watched it since the Spring of 1991 and do not miss an episode. I tape the show everyday and only fast forward the commercials.

I have read here and on other sites that people feel that Guiding Light is not as good as it once was. I feel that no matter what executive producer or head writer is working on the show, there is a feel to Guiding Light that is different than any other soap. I have watched every soap at some point in time, but Guiding Light is the one that I have stuck with. I started watching (in 1991) when Roger Thorpe was cheating on Alexandra Spaulding (then played by Beverly McKinsey) with Mindy Lewis. Mindy was pregnant with Roger's child and then had a miscarriage. Currently, I love that Olivia and Buzz are together. I hope things work out in the long run for them. I love Dinah and Mallet together. I also love Harley and Gus (and hope an entertaining storyline is soon developed for them). I love Reva and Josh and am wondering where this cancer storyline will end up. I LOVE Matt and Vanessa and am SO excited that they have returned to Springfield (now if they would only be offered contracts!). I am thoroughly entertained by Jonathan (Tom Pelphrey is a great actor). I love the Inside the Light episodes. I love how it often gives insight into one character. Some of my favorite storylines and characters since I started watching: -Matt & Vanessa falling in love (LOVED the scene when Vanessa was holding a dinner at the country club and when Matt walked in as Bridget's guest, it became slow motion and Vanessa dropped her glass)
    -The Who Shot Roger? storyline (starting with the night he was shot. The scene with him in the greenhouse/pottery house, shot, playing over the scene of Mindy and Nick dancing at their engagement party, and with the music that was playing, WOW!) -pretty much anything to do with Harley or Olivia (love both of them)Loved Harley and Mallet, Harley and Phillip, Harley and Gus, Olivia and Bill, Olivia and Buzz
    -as much as I hated to see Maureen die, the whole storyline surrounding Lillian and Ed's affair was amazing (and the reason Ellen Parker won the emmy that year, I think)(I cried and cried and cried during the special montage they had for her character at the end of the show when she died...or maybe it was after the funeral)
    -pretty much any storyline featuring Maureen Garrett as Holly
    -loved Cynthia Watros as Annie Dutton
    -Jerry ver Dorn was amazing as Ross (he had a way of building up a scene where he had to get angry, instead of just shouting the whole time)
    -the scenes surrounding the car crash and the twins coming from two fathers (Ross and Rick) were amazing, especially between Ross and Blake
    -loved the episode of the bachelor party (I think it was Hampton's) that featured only the males of the show
    -loved the episode that was a dream sequence of Ross winning a seat in the senate or something

I could go on and on and on....
    Clearly I LOVE Guiding Light!
  • Love this show! Reva and Jeffery are the reaons I watch it! Mallet and Murina are next in line,love their relationship as well as R and J's.Why is everyone leaving the show? Is the show risking going into non-exhistance? If they (see review)

would only get rid of Grady, Thank God for DVR I fast forward the scenes with him in it cannot handle him anylonger..time he gets what he deserves. I did however like his brother Cyrus..he needs to get together with someone else! But Grady needs to go! Anyone else feeling the same?
    Lizzie and Bill are great together too! I sure hope their relationship holds up and the truth comes out. I'm tired of the bad guys getting away with their crimes, what's up with the police department.. Get those detectives working on it.. It would be a good show to see them get caught!
    I will keep watching unless it keeps going the direction it is going! Slightly hooked and GL.
  • This soap is my fave!!! The only soap i watch. The more drama the better!

I have never watched soaps unitl 10 yrs ago i just started paying attention to this show for 1 week, and from then on I loved it. I record it every day and try not to miss an episode. It gets better every week, and i cant wait to see whats going to happen next. I like the new characters and how there is always a twist. This is one show i hope they never take off the air ever. Anyone else watch Guiding light? Lets chat! Tell me what you think about the show.
    Holla back. Let me know. Guiding ligh Fans!

Sunshynegirls32
  • I love guilden light it is the best soap opera in town I live to watch this show it is the must exciting,fun filling and best of all times. I hope it last forever on tv land.

The best soap opera on tv land today I love watching and waiting to see whats going to happen next. I love all the cast and actors who play ever role on the show. so please continue to let my show come on every day during the week I really apperciate your review.
  • Great and classic show :-)

This show is perfect. Maybe is not perfect for me but is perfect for people who watch this show 30, 40, 50 years. For this people, this show is absolutely number one. For me, this show is not number one, but i like watch this sometimes and i give 10/10 :-) The storyline maybe is not very goog, but for me is... good :-) This show have old viewers... 80, 70, 60 years old, who watch this show for decades. This is sad... this show have small young viewers. I don't understand one thing. In Great Britiain, the oldest soap "Coronation Street" is most popular series... and this show is on tv 47 years ! Maybe is old, but is very popular. Guiding Light is old... and is not very popular. I think, tv should switch this show in primetime :-) This is the longest show on the world ! Tv should switch this in primetime... in my opinnion :-) Sorry for my english :-)
  • This is the #1 soap.

I cant believe Blake Marler is now mayor. I thought after Ross died she wouls be to upset to be mayor. I wish they would show more of the kids Kevin and Jason. They are so cute, and im sure we will see more of them. I have been watching GL for 7 years now. I love all of the characters on the show. Alan and Beth, to me, all ways have a great story line. Just as long as they don't drag it out. Like with Michelle having lost her memory. That was getting old. Other then them dragging out story lines, it is a pretty good show. The only thing i wish they sould show more of is the Marler
  • It's a great show. It all ways keeps me wanting to come back for more.

I have been watching GL for 7 years now. I use to like that soap operas were the dumbest thing on tv. I remember my mom was watching GL, and I decided to sit down and watch it with her. From then on I was hooked. I love all of the characters on the show, but Alan and Beth. They, to me, all ways have a great story line. Just as long as they don't drag it out. Like with Michelle having lost her memory. That was getting old. Other then them dragging out story lines, it is a pretty good show.
  • GL is a wonderful show.I never miss it.They just get better and better.The only thing is I am not to happy with the marvel comics in with the soap.They need to leave that part out.

I was raised on this soap,and I love it.Reva is a wonderful
    actress.The whole cast of GL is surperb.Josh and Reva are a
    great couple and go so good together.They have really been
    through alot in their lives,and I do hope that they get back
    together.Jonathan is a good actor also.My favorites in this
    soap are Frank,Reva,Josh,Billy,and Jonathan.I have been watching GL since 1955.It just gets better all the time.I'm
    glad that Marah will be coming back.I never miss a eposide.Harley did a good job with new super power.I was so hoping that she would have helped Reva.
  • i LOVE this show i watch this show every weekday and never miss one day this show aways keeps you guessing.

This show i dont know what to say but fabulous it is the best soap there is and will ever be. i love it like reva and jon oh love them they are always keeping the drama up the scale and i dont know why reva does not tell josh about her cancer but whatever maybe she will i dont know and jon with lizzie baby what is that i dont know it is crazy i would have never have guessed that would you? it is crazy if you asked me. all it know is that i will always watch it.lol
< 1 2 3