Guiding Light

CBS (ended 2009)

jaynashvil

Guiding Light Fan Reviews (70)

• This daytime programme has stood the test of time, but one has to wonder if time has really run out for this programme or IF this programme can rise from the ashes that recent directors/producers/writers have taken it down to?

I have watched this programme since since 1967, when I remember that it was still in black/white. Through the years I have watched unbelievable storyline come & go but I NEVER thought I would see the end of this programme. I was stunned to see that they were turning off the light for good and had to wonder if it was because of all the changes in the recent yrs. I was not, and still am not, a fan of the way the programme shooting was changed. I thought, and apparently ALOT of fans agreed with me, that it wasn't beneficial to the show. Then some of the solid staples of the show that left (ALOT of rumours were that they didn't like the changes either), yet this had happened before, but never when the show was already bleeding. This led to even lower ratings, and one would think that if the show wasn't doing well with ratings that some of the changes that had been implemented would be rethought, yet this wasn't the case. The powers that be (Ellen Wheeler and David Kreizman) did not listen to their fans, which honestly boggles ones' mind. It seemed to me that those in charge of keeping this show on the air and successful weren't interested in this any longer. Ellen Wheeler made the choice to "change" not only the setting look but major characters and focus on a younger cast. Once again she did not listen to the shows fans. I can not tell you how many message boards I visited during this time of "change" and the message was the same... THEY DIDN'T LIKE IT, yet Wheeler and head writer David Kreizman DIDN'T listen to their public. They stayed the course of the changes to the show (i.e, how it was shot as well as the storylines that were just "out there"), and even though they knew it was killing Irna Phillips lifes' work, they went ahead with "their" vision. I am very sad and angry that a staple of my life will be no more come September. This programme took me through my childhood illnesses, college exams, raising my four sons and everything else in between.