How was Destiny not as good as SEED

Gunplaboi

[1]Apr 28, 2006
    • level: 1

They play to much stalk footage and too many flash backs. I know its good to see Uzumi Attha but it really gets old after the 10th time!!!!!!!!!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

etherealenigma

[2]May 8, 2006
    • level: 5
    Lol.  That may be true, and by default SEED is better because the original is almost always better than the sequel... The reusage of film certainly at times went overboard, but they were placed there for reasons... There is no such thing as coincidence, just necessity... Or something like that, neh?

Lordsage1000

[3]May 8, 2006
    • level: 7
    Hopefully next series will make the EAF become more positive unlike in this series they really made the EAF look evil as hell especially the Atlantic Federation. For Example, there could be a scenario where after coup within the acting administration of the Atlantic Federation, which allows for a more liberal person to take office. In the show they have ad an ultra conservative and radical group in control of the EAF. That new person if moderate enough could actually sway public opinion from hating the coordinators to coming to accept them. The only reason people hate the coordinators so much is not because they are way better, but the sadness caused by the loss of a loved one. Like in Destiny where they  tried to draw a parallel with the tragedy of 9/11 to the Junius 7 drop, its understand able to see the pain caused by the loss of a loved one. This is what influenced the president of the Atlantic Federation to listen to the Blue Cosmos.

etherealenigma

[4]May 9, 2006

Lordsage1000 wrote:
    Hopefully next series will make the EAF become more positive unlike in this series they really made the EAF look evil as hell especially the Atlantic Federation. For Example, there could be a scenario where after coup within the acting administration of the Atlantic Federation, which allows for a more liberal person to take office. In the show they have ad an ultra conservative and radical group in control of the EAF. That new person if moderate enough could actually sway public opinion from hating the coordinators to coming to accept them. The only reason people hate the coordinators so much is not because they are way better, but the sadness caused by the loss of a loved one. Like in Destiny where they tried to draw a parallel with the tragedy of 9/11 to the Junius 7 drop, its understand able to see the pain caused by the loss of a loved one. This is what influenced the president of the Atlantic Federation to listen to the Blue Cosmos.

Yeah, I agree.  The only good guy that stayed with the EAF till the end of their time was Admiral Burton... Though I doubt many people would remember or even recognize that name... However, there are many more obvious 'good guys' who originate from the EAF, most notably Maryu Ramius and Mwu La Flaga, along with the rest of the Archangel crew.  Also, contrary to popular belief, Natarle Badgirul (I probably mispelled that -_-...) was also a good person.

However, I must discern from the the reasons naturals hate the coordinators and vice versa as depicted in SEED so well.  It is because of the fragility in human hearts, where irreparable sadness turns into blind hatred leading one to fight with a false sense of justice, with the agenda of revenge.  Whereas, more honourable souls resolve their pain in seeking comfort instead of seeking revenge, you have people who are eager to take up the call of the fight because they have been attacked, and so they must attack back.  It is a simple philosophy, hatred is a common emotion that is easy to turn to, because it is like a drug that dulls out the pain in one's body.  However, what does hatred and killing others do in the end?

Nothing but result in irreparable sadness... Thus, a new wave of hatred occurs.  A simple cycle that repeats endlessly, that is tried to be broken by the true protagonists--or the true coordinators (the meaning of which was originally not intended for being genetically modified, but rather someone who strives for the betterment of mankind--Example would be a natural such as Cagalli Yula Attha.)

The true reasons behind what influences people should be understood more carefully... A world without conflict certainly is a farfetched idea, and is also false as conflict has existed as old as time itself, so long as people are different... However, a world where people can agree through discussions, instead of raising up weapons may perhaps be achieved some day... Thus is a powerful message in Gundam SEED... Or something like that, neh?

Lironah

[5]May 29, 2006
    • level: 3

In my opinion, the reason Destiny failed to be as good as Seed itself was all in the last 10 episodes or so.  The whole plot seemed to move so fluidly from one stage to another up to that point, but then, character development froze, and nothing else changed until Rei's too-quick reversal in the last episode.  The climax also relied too heavily upon mobile suit combat, and not enough on the political aspect of the show, which was such a driving factor in the first half. 

There are also things which needed to be illuminated but were not, such as whether Dullindal was the one who ordered Lacus killed, and why Mwu-san ended up in Phantom Pain.  The most frustrating is the relationship between Athrun and Cagalli.  Did they end the show together, or separate?  If they broke up, as many people seem to think they did, there needed to have been some closure to the relationship.  If there's still hope there, that should have been made clearer as well.  Besides that, there are characters who were ignored too completely in the last half, such as some of Shinn's friends on board the Minerva, and Tora-sama on the Eternal.  In Seed, the entire Archangel crew was an entity, and the opinions and decisions of each one were important.  For example, I don't think that anyone could help but sympathize with Kuzzey when he decided to disembark.  The ending of Destiny was too much about showing off the show's huge budget, and not enough about the characters participating in it.

To sum it all up, I agree with whoever said that Destiny "squandered its own potential".  It promised so much to the viewers and then left them hanging.  I'll still treasure special episodes such as the drop of Junius 7 and Athrun's escape from Gibraltar, but it falls short of replacing Seed as my favorite Anime, and that's the true disappointment.

etherealenigma

[6]Jun 9, 2006
    Hmm, in my opinion, I think the last ten episodes may seemed to have dropped off in the plot section because the whole thing had been revealed throughout the story when the focus changed to Kira and the old crew. The viewer already knew/could assume what was to happen so there wasn't really no need to further the plot, just unravel it. As for character development, could I ask to whom precisely do you mean by that. If it was Shinn, most likely it probably was, although his character had already been developed as the brash, put your entire being into something to the degree of being in the fault misleading protagonist (phew, that was kinda long), there was quite the change to happen in which the final plus showed a little of. As to Rey's seemingly quick change of heart, I believe that was only fitting because he was finally enlightened to living a life as opposed to when he was bent on destruction similar to Rau Le Creuset in the previous SEED. The discussion at the end may have seemed a little ambigious and probably had different effects and interpretations for many of us, but I believe that it was quite straightforward in regards to what actually was happening...Eh, as for the climax, I think that the mobile suit battles were a necessity...The political aspects had already proven time and time again that it was necessary to fight in order to protect something...Thus is the whole underappreciated side of Destiny where many viewers could only see the action itself and disregard everything else.... Of course there is the simple reasoning that this is indeed a GUNDAM franchise so of course they would have to use Gundams for the climax, no?

Another aspect of Destiny that probably led to its downfall in fan favouritism was perhaps the disregard for illuminating aspects because many people like finality or closure, but I think that some of the things could already have been deduced and solved without it being obviously shown. "Some things are better left unsaid," could be a great theme for the show, especially with the relationship between KxL...Yeah, I just had to add that in there, hehe, it is known that they love each other...Yes they dont do any couple sort of thing, but that's what makes it interesting...Anywho, back to the topic, I think it was pretty clear that it was indeed Dullindal who ordered Lacus to be killed, he is the one who ordered for Mia Campbell to replace Lacus because he knew that she met Kira, and if his Destiny plan were to come true, where he goes to the original path from the start because that's what he thinks is real to happen, then he would need a Lacus Clyne at his whim. That's from episode 29 btw, and i can guarantee that not a lot of fans liked it at all, but it was important...It was basically a flashback episode and there has been so many gripes about flashbacks already...sigh.

Mwu ended up in the Phantom Pain because apparently Blue Cosmos found him. There was an episode, i think the one where he finally regains his memories when he has a case of deja vu/nostalgia in saving the archangel...There was a picture of him all bandaged up and stuff, with Jibril watching over him. So by process of deduction, I say that only Blue Cosmos was capable of finding him at the time.

Yea, although im more kxl, i like axc as well. I think that only made fanboys/girls of the couple dislike Destiny cause they were being torn apart with guys and girls going after them when they were vulnerable...I think that that's something that couldn't be helped though. I mean, a relationship can't go perfectly, never does actually. I think a relationship is more worthwhile in the end when a few troubles are overcome, no? It was apparent that they still care/love each other, there was just a lot of things that happened between them. Neither could be blame for a fault though in my opinion...Although i sympathize with Athrun a little bit more, cause Cag did try to marry Yuna without telling him, poor guy, he must of been hurt of course--then there was people that hated him cause he let Luna openly flirt with him...I don't think he couldve helped it at that point, it wasn't like he was flirting with her anyways.

Shinn's friends were minor characters, so it'd be a waste of film time for them. Not to offend anybody, but I think not a lot of people cared about them anyway. Uhm, who's Tora-sama..? Do you mean, Andrew Bardtfelt or Dacosta? because besides Lacus, I think those two were the only ones of importance on the Eternal.

Well, logically speaking, the cast had been almost doubled so that there was needs for cutting out people... Seed had lesser people so more air time to show some development. Also, a lot of chaotic things happened in Seed which are not to be taken lightly. I have to digress on you about Kuzzey though, no matter how many times I watch SEED, he will always have the impression of a coward to me. I kinda disliked him more than any character in fact because he adversely caused a lot of problems including affecting Flay's decision to manipulate Kira. Yes, i could sympathize with him for wanting to disembark to a certain extent, but even so, the only reason why he's there in the first place was because of peer pressure. He struck me as the type who'd jump off a bridge if everyone else does it, just like how he wanted to stay because he was afraid of being brandished as a coward--and yes he was a coward. There's no need to sugar coat it, he believed that he could do nothing, so in fact he did do nothing. With Kira, when he was with Lacus, that one episode where he said he would leave because if he said/believed that he could do nothing, then nothing would change...yet even though he was gundamless (and didnt expect Lacus to give him Freedom mind you), he was still willing to go. But not everyone could be like Kira, the epitome of a great character who's personality is severely underappreciated.

lol, i dont think destiny's budget was large at all, though i have no proof or sources, i think that much of the seed film was recycled could be a nod to the lack of a budget...i dunno though, heh, more of an opinion question i think.

I agree to a certain degree, was Destiny not as good as Seed. There's really no way of topping off the plot and events that happened in Seed because it was just special. There was a few gripes that could be made but I dont think Destiny was all in all a failure. If one were to just look at the faults of something, then one would only be blind to the beauty it has. Like say for example, looking at the thorns of a rose...If you just see that, then you cant see how pretty the rose is right? lol...maybe that was a pathetic example but heh.

etherealenigma

[7]Jun 9, 2006
    Whoa, i didn't even know i wrote that much...my bad, hehe, got carried away =P

AnimeXas

[8]Mar 16, 2007

Lots of people perfer kira>shin and more people wanted kira to be the main character and this is why some people like seed more then destiny.

frank_thetank

[9]Nov 29, 2007
    • level: 25
    AnimeXas wrote:

Lots of people perfer kira>shin and more people wanted kira to be the main character and this is why some people like seed more then destiny.

Kira is not > Shin. Its more like Kira>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Shin(what a crappy character)

wwecwcw

[10]Mar 21, 2008
    • level: 13
    frank_thetank wrote:
    AnimeXas wrote:

Kira is not > Shin. Its more like Kira>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Shin(what a crappy character)

I beg to differ. Kira was really an annoyance to me. Not saying that Shin wasn't at times but Kira(in Destiny) just crossed the darn line. He was just so sentimental and he completely owned everybody. THAT IS NOT A GOOD THING. When Kira comes in you know there would be at least two carriers to be destroyed.You know that even ZAFT's "Ace" pilots would be cut to pieces thanks to him. At first I thought it was kinda cool, "OOhhh, that machine owns!"............ "Wow, it beat everyone!"......... "Okay..."............. "Oh great, another appearance by the almighty one*rolls eyes*"................ "CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TAKE HIM OFF MY SCREEN!!!!"......... That's what it's like with me.

Shin on the other hand.............. He's pretty cool, actually. No, it's not because he's "hawt"(like what most Kira fans only like about Kira) but rather you could feel the pain and torment he's gone through. And unlike Kira, he actually gone through a lot and actually has something to cry and be upset about. Granted, he is too boastful and arrogant for me to really like him, but what he says about war and other people is true. One bad thing about him is that there is nearly no good development on his character. Sure, they showed some stuff about his past, but it really wasn't that good.

Uchiha_Raonni

[11]Jul 15, 2008
    Lets admit it. Everyone hates shin (except people with some feelings me and you don't). Kira is way better cause we got a bond with him in seed which was what the creater wanted. He also deliberately aimed the main character thing in the beginning at shin and athirin because to get everyone wanting to know where kira was (or was i the only one wondering that at the beginning?). And since all these made destiny a disaster. We want a better ending OR a new season that actually makes a better ending... I think seed totally FAILED the last episode. Kira left in space to be picked up by athirin and cagolli.... how pathetic. At least hold a celebration or something for world peace. Though i guess they left it like that for people to think about it more and think what happened next. All these facts (or my bias) is making a conclusion as to why we want a new season. Thats all i got to say.

Adele19

[12]Jul 24, 2008
    • level: 4
    In all honesty, I do like SEED better. I keep seeing a lot of repeat themes and situations in Destiny. If you pay attention and notice details, it's fairly repetitive. I also didn't really care much for the new characters.

ImaNewB

[13]Dec 27, 2010
    • level: 1
    I was hoping Destiny would clear up a lot of plotholes left in Seed. Instead all we got is more plotholes! Unfortunately I don't think Seed is a great anime, though I did enjoy it, however it was just good at best. Destiny had it's high points, but they were few and far between. It kept my interest at certain times only for me to lose it again. I think by the time I was half-way through Destiny I just became sick of hearing Cagali and Lacus making their generic speeches about humanity over and over again. The writers never made any unique twists and the plot, and to be honest, it just seemed like the same story looping over and over again, just with a different furnish.

Not to mention how SLOW the last 3-4 episodes in Destiny went. It never felt like they were building up to the finale and after episode 49, I was really puzzled at how they were going to adequately conclude the entire Seed/Destiny series. Not to my surprise, they didn't.