Gunslinger Girl Forums

(ended 2008)

Season 1 and Season 2 Compared

BrynTheSkits

[1]Jan 12, 2008
    • level: 1

Here's screenshots of the Season 1 and Season 2.

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/7792/1200129965980jt9.jpg

Here is my deduction; It's just not good enough.

I'm sorry but... it's...

I want to bloody kill myself, what the hell did they do...

Bigger eyes, different color, different style and overall less detail...

;_;

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dju010

[2]Jan 12, 2008
    • level: 88
    Yeah everything looks a bit more 3d now. It's a softer design. I'm not too fond of it yet.

BrynTheSkits

[3]Jan 14, 2008

Just watched it, it sucked compared to the 1st season, but better then most other animes, 'cept for the framerate, and some of the ways it is animated, to save money, kill it.

Also, prepare for a couple of slow motion fails.

Edited on 01/14/2008 3:13am
    Edited 2 total times.

Claes04

[4]Jan 14, 2008
    • level: 3
    I completely agree with the assessment that it sucks... I was so pissed while I watched it. They freeze on stills and just shake the camera, the big eyes, changing of personalities, the handlers look too young (going for young eye candy), shoddy animation, and lack of the European and dark atmosphere that Season One had. The action sequences were horrible, and wtf was with that random zoom box that circle around the one guy's gun when Henrietta saw it.... sooo mad.
    Edited on 01/14/2008 11:01am

BrynTheSkits

[5]Jan 14, 2008
    The Zoom in wasn't to my liking, this series was about realism before, now we have a bloody zoom box?

I think an economist stepped into the process somewhere and told them to make it look lik eever other anime out there, but in doing so, it has lost it's character, it's appeal to the fanbase, but has grabbed and audience of general anime lovers who don't care about style.

Not a good move, Artland.

dju010

[6]Jan 14, 2008
    What I think is much worse than the new animation style is that the show appears going on so much faster and focusing mainly on the action. The first season was so calm and even depressing. This one (I admit only to have seen one episode at this point) appears to be so much faster paced.

Claes04

[7]Jan 15, 2008
    A bunch of people are starting to have seen episode two (don't know where), but in general they are saying that it is better than episode one and that the shakey camera effect seems to be gone. Still, the second episode is not close to Season 1. I will reserve my own opinion until I find the second episode... but hopefully this means there will be at least a decent/standable second season... just as long as they don't pull out that shakey camera effect and that zoom again and remain somewhat true to the characters.

dju010

[8]Jan 15, 2008
    Claes04 wrote:
    A bunch of people are starting to have seen episode two (don't know where), but in general they are saying that it is better than episode one and that the shakey camera effect seems to be gone.

I think it was supposed to air last night in Japan. So the people watching that should have seen it now...

Well let's hope it gets better. I certainly do hope so.

Claes04

[10]Jan 23, 2008

I finally found a English sub for episode two (though it was low quality), and I enjoyed the episode. The stills and shakey camera effect was gone, and the storyline was more tight and flowed smoothly. The animation is still taking some time to get used too, along with the character designs. Angelica now has brown hair and green eyes, which was a wtf moment, and Marco.... wow... Marco.... he is now a blonde and his voice is so weird. The music is ok, but it still doesn't match the dark Italian themed music of season one.

I have heard that Yu Aida had been more active in this season and had requested the new cast and studio, because he did not like the first season. That would really explain alot of the changes, but at least the storyline is still intact.

bigred42ster

[11]Jan 25, 2008
    • level: 5
    dose it pick up where season1 left off

Claes04

[12]Jan 25, 2008

Not really, though it is hard to tell how much time as passed between the two series. It basically is covering the Pinocchio arc of the manga which goes from Vol 3 to Vol 5.

They have mentioned that the dvd would have a few bonus episodes that I am betting will go up to Petruska and Vol 6ish-7ish... ugh (sorry, I know Petruska is liked by most people, but I can't stand her and the way she basically took over the manga... you can tell she is the mangka's darling, and she is too perfect). I make that guess b/c her handler Alessandro has a voice actor for season 2, so I just assumed.

Triad has the English sub of Episode three up. I am very disappoint at the action scene, but it was standable just doesn't do the Pinocchio/Triela 1st encounter very well. The storytelling is still really good; it's just that animation style and the character design that still bugs me, but I am getting semi used to it now.

dju010

[13]Jan 27, 2008
    That fight scene Triela/Pinocchio is really horrible. I don't get why they changed the entire style, while they kept the storytelling the same.

animealchemist

[14]Feb 4, 2008
    • level: 6
    They didn'y really put in much effort on the characters looks,they looked as if they were from a different show.With the zoom,they should ofjumped to another scene and then slowly zoom in on the gun.Like in the first episode of the series before Rico shot the enemy.

24Titan

[15]Feb 6, 2008
    • level: 13
    That's an ugly design. It looks like they've totally ripped out the hard-edged feel that this series has and they traded it in for the newest model. I don't like it. It's too soft and cute. These girls aren't supposed to look and feel cute. They're supposed to feel real.

Claes04

[16]Feb 9, 2008
    Ugh... I can't get over the change in Marco's and Angelica's character design. Angelica's new dress is especially bad. Keeping this in mind for the most part episode four was actually painful to watch. However, episode four did have many great moments, which would have been even more piogant with the old animation style. In the old animation style, you could see the emotion in the girl's eyes and on their faces, but now it doesn't come across as powerful as it did, and it really shows in this episode. I really really really miss that gritty dark feel, particularly after this episode which kind of brings back the dark feel especially in the end with the conversation between Rico and Angelica, which reminds us that these girls are messed up and pulls back on the cutesiness that this season has been capitalizing on. As far as soundtrack goes, the song that plays during the last action sequence was enjoyable and I liked the effect it had on the whole action sequence.