Gunsmoke

Chato

Aired Unknown Sep 14, 1970 on CBS

6.9
  • Matt Dillon is on the trail of a renegade Cheynne warrior, Chato. Following him into the Sangre de Christo mountains, Matt enlists the unwilling help of Chato's woman and brings her along with him to help lure Chato out into the open.

This is an unusually good episode, mostly due to the presence of Ricardo Montalban, who portrays Chato, and Miram Colon, who plays his "woman." This story has an unusual twist in that Matt does something that is usually done to him--he takes Chato's woman along with him in order to lure the man out. Because of this, she is wounded and eventually dies. Instead of blaming Matt, who calls a temporary truce with his prisoner, Chato ends up with a grudging respect for Dillon for trying desperately to save the woman and for his honorable behavior. I found this to be an weird turn of events considering how often Kitty Russell is taken in order to lure Matt out. I don't completely agree that this is something that our knight in shining armor would do. Still worth the watch and a good and moving ending to this episode.