Gunsmoke Forums

CBS (ended 1975)

A Hat... A Dress

ingary

[1]Mar 3, 2008
    • level: 5

I watched the episode The Hat the other day and was utterly amazed by that dress of Kitty's. You know, the gold and green one with the zig-zags that makes you go cross-eyed? I remembered it being bad. I taped the episode for the specific purpose of showing it to my mom. But I think it got worse! Or maybe I'd just forgotten about the side panels. But oh, my God! What was wrong with the costume designer? Were they blind? The only good thing about that dress was when it got shredded in The Brothers!

Sorry for the rant, but I just had to get that out. It was so AWFUL!!!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tygermoonfoxx

[2]Apr 10, 2008
    I hated that episode simply because I couldn't stand looking at that awful dress. According to some of the biographies and books I've read about the making of "Gunsmoke" Amanda and her wardrobe and make-up people didn't really get along. They actually went out of their way to make her look as awful as possible.

fhfan

[3]Apr 16, 2008
    • level: 4

Some of her dresses were nice and some were not.

It remindes me of the movie Soap. The costumer had grossly different ideas of beauty than Sally Field's character. That difference of opion brought a lot of humor to the movie.

ingary

[4]Apr 20, 2008
    Wait. So my theory about the wardrobe people having a grudge against her wasn't far off? I thought I was joking. How did they get away with that without losing their jobs?

tygermoonfoxx

[5]Apr 25, 2008
    ingary wrote:
    Wait. So my theory about the wardrobe people having a grudge against her wasn't far off?

No. Several of the books written about the making of "Gunsmoke" and James Arness' autobiography as well as a few clip interviews substantiate it. If you look at th earlier episodes before they went to color, the difference is rather marked. I forget just which name to look for in the credits, but it was one man and he got away with it because it could be chalked up to simple creative differences. That's also where the icky pancake make-up of the later episodes comes from.