Gunsmoke Forums

CBS (ended 1975)

Amanda's Last Episode

TCharmed77

[1]Jan 6, 2008
    • level: 6

Hello there. As a new fan of Gunsmoke, I am fascinated by Kitty. I just love Amanda Blake and have since I watched a couple eps with my Granny over the years. Now I have started taping the show and really getting into it. I am gonna start buying the Dvd's, however, for now I need to go with Tv Land. I notice they only show the color later eps. I was wondering if anyone knew the title of her last ep and if she rode off with some fan fare?

Thanks alot

Taeylor

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TCharmed77

[2]Jan 7, 2008
    I would really like to hear somone's answer to this. Thanks again

ingary

[3]Jan 8, 2008
    • level: 5

Amanda Blake's last episode was the last one in the 19th season. It's called The Disiple.

What episode are they on right now? I can probably make an educated guess about when it will be on next. And come back after you watch it. I need someone to talk to. Nobody ever logs on any more!

Edited on 01/08/2008 8:51pm
    Edited 2 total times.

TCharmed77

[4]Jan 8, 2008

That ep was on the other day.I didn't get to watch todays. I think I am gonna buy the dvds. I really like the color eps and hope I like those too. Since that was the ep there was no fanfare or anything about Amanda leaving.

Write back and we will chat.

Taeylor

ingary

[5]Jan 9, 2008

There wasn't any fan-fare because they didn't know she was leaving. There are conflicting stories on whether she quit or was fired, but, either way, it didn't happen until after the season ended.

I (like so many others) like to believe that season twenty was a mass hallucination. Going on that assumption, The Disciple would have been a perfect ending to the series. I love how Matt is talking about responsibilities, and then the camera cuts to Kitty. He walks into the Longbranch, she says that oh-so classic (if overused) line "Oh, Matt," and, (watch carefully) he gives her an almost imperceptible nod. If you cut out the tag scene (as funny as it is) and forget all proceeding episodes and movies, you have a perfect series finale.

TCharmed77

[6]Jan 9, 2008

I can see where you are coming from. Today was an ep from Season Twenty and it just wasn't the same. Weird. I am glad you know this info. I cannot seem to find interviews with Amanda or video on Youtube. Do you know of a good Gunsmoke resource??

Thanks.

Can we PM each other on here?

Taeylor

ingary

[7]Jan 13, 2008

Youtube isn't exactly your best source for material of that age. The 50th Anniversary Collection DVDs (two sets, three discs each) have great extras. That was actually the biggest reason I bought them! Not that the episodes disappoint, either. I don't own the Directors' Collection, but I've heard that the extras (episode commentaries not included) aren't anywhere near as good. There is an interview with Amanda Blake, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it might be the same one that's on 50th.

My favorite Gunsmoke site is gunsmokenet.com. That's definitely the place to go if you want interviews, articles, etc. They have a whole page of magazine articles from the '50s on up, plus tons of other stuff.

Have fun! And remember: If you're going to have an obsession, you might as well do it right!

katinacup

[8]Feb 25, 2008
    • level: 2
    Hey yall. If ever in the history of G/S, there was a perfect time for the lost kiss to take place. This ep. was it .To have ended this with even a small decent hug would have be good. But the kiss would have sealed the deal. What a shame the writers couldn't give we loyal viewers at least that. Kat....

ingary

[9]Feb 25, 2008

Kat, you're right. I can't believe I left that out of my "perfect series finale" situation. Soooo... take what I said a couple of posts ago, then add: Kitty catches her breath, smiles. Matt walks to her, says "It's time. I'm sorry it took me so long." He sweeps Kitty into his arms, and lays a looong, hard kiss on her. Fade out. Series end.

Edited on 02/25/2008 1:40pm
    Edited 2 total times.

katinacup

[10]Feb 25, 2008
    ingary I LOVE IT ..ROCK ON.. Kat....

ingary

[11]Feb 25, 2008
    (Doing my best Elvis voice) Thank you, thank you very much.
    Edited on 02/25/2008 8:08pm

WAVY10

[12]Mar 7, 2008
    • level: 8
    ingary wrote:

There wasn't any fan-fare because they didn't know she was leaving. There are conflicting stories on whether she quit or was fired, but, either way, it didn't happen until after the season ended.

I (like so many others) like to believe that season twenty was a mass hallucination. Going on that assumption, The Disciple would have been a perfect ending to the series. I love how Matt is talking about responsibilities, and then the camera cuts to Kitty. He walks into the Longbranch, she says that oh-so classic (if overused) line "Oh, Matt," and, (watch carefully) he gives her an almost imperceptible nod. If you cut out the tag scene (as funny as it is) and forget all proceeding episodes and movies, you have a perfect series finale.

Thought she was there until the show ended. Did they try to replace her for '74-'75 (the show's final season)?

ingary

[13]Mar 7, 2008
    No, she was only there through the end of the 19th season. They sort of replaced her, not in the romantic Matt & Kitty sense, but they had to have somebody to run the Long Branch. Fran Ryan played Hannah in the last season. The worst part about her departure was that they never mentioned her again. I never understood that. 19 years and then... nothing? Stupid producers. Amanda
    Edited on 03/07/2008 4:38pm

tygermoonfoxx

[14]Apr 10, 2008

The last episode with Amanda Blake in it was "The Disciple" and she did finish her contract.

There are a couple of interviews on the 50th Anniversary discs with Amanda and others which clearly state that she had decided to quit the show and move on to other things. In her own words, she just wasn't enjoying it any more and was becoming cranky and short all the time with her friends and loved ones as well as with the folk on the set. She didn't like who she was turning into so she decided it was time to go.

There's more documented in some of the books about the making of "Gunsmoke" and in interviews with other cast members which support this. One or two of them seem to indicate that Amanda's growing health problems wouldn't let her do the extensive filming required by the show, but nothing is ever said publicly about it.

There was no real fanfare about her going because "Gunsmoke" was canceled shortly afterward. If Ihad to guess, I'd say there was no time to wrap up such details. No one was expecting the show to be canceled and to this day the actors and crew who worked on it have never been told why. On the other hand, some of the writers and Amanda herself commented that the show's way of handling things like that was just to ease in new characters and kind of ignore the whole thing as though the departing character had never been around.

fhfan

[15]Apr 16, 2008
    • level: 4

There has been said that the part would have been offered to Amanda again if the program hadn't been cancelled. Too bad they weren't able to keep it going longer.

tygermoonfoxx

[16]May 8, 2008
    fhfan wrote:

There has been said that the part would have been offered to Amanda again if the program hadn't been cancelled.

I don't think she would have taken the offer. There's an interview with her on one of the 50th Annivesary discs in which she says that she quit the show because she was just tired of it. It's also a well known fact that she and the later producer, John Mantley, didn't get along and got into frequent arguments. In that interview, she doesn't mention that but she does say she didn't like who she was becoming and how she had started treating her friends and family.

That, for me, would have been good enough reason to quit. I liked what I've seen of Amanda and she went on to do some very good charity work.

Debi4Rick

[17]Jun 15, 2008

Hi everyone...It's June 08 now and awhile since a post..so thought I'd say something. I guess I have rediscovered Gunsmoke...and love it now more than when I used to watch it with my dad...I had no idea it started as early as it did..or ran so long until I looked up info on "Miss Kitty"...and Marshal Dillion...yea...the kiss idea would have been great! I did see one ep last week where he was shot and lying in the back of a train. Kitty was talking to him/herself..(he was out cold) and she spoke of when she first "saw him"...the big man who never noticed her while she was sitting in the saLoon (I think)...waiting for the next stage to come in. She was supposed to get on that stage and leave Dodge city...but I think she was telling him after she saw him she stayed...she didn't think he even noticed her at the time. Matt wakes up and while still groggy he says "kitty..I noticed"...it was way more romantic than I just described, and I was shocked to see even that. On the same ep..Kitty told one crooked woman "that man " was her's and she'd "do ANYTHING...including killing that woman if she had to in order to keep him alive." I said it was more info than I'd expected...but never a kiss...I hate she died at 60 ...But she seems like she was an extremely fine person. It was said she left because she was just tired of it..and the death of her good friend...Sam..the Bartender...in 73 I think had weighed on her. It's hard to believe she had aids...That damned disease has claimed more than one great person. Her last husband had it and that's where it is said she got it. She has an animal/wildlife refuge so I knew there was something that drew me to Amanda...I want to read on all the characters and see what's up with everyone else. Email me if anyone reads this..Not too many people watch Gunsmoke..I m getting into Bonanza, little house, etc..also...but Matt Dillion is just my hero...They made some great shows back then for sure...

Hats off to Amanda Blake..

debi

debi4rick@aol.com